Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
  • Reward points: 0
2011/10/14 01:55:58 (permalink)

Early Muzzle Loader Season Reports.

Saturday starts the early muzzle loader season. Who's going, what are you shooting and whats your plan ? Don't forget to wear orange as also the archers. While archers are permitted to remove orange once on stand and display a orange band 15' from them, the muzzle loader hunter does not have that option. Good luck and be safe.

65 Replies Related Threads

BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Early Muzzle Loader Season Reports. 2011/10/14 07:03:33 (permalink)
    Was thinking squirrel hunting with my uncles. Weather doesnt look so good tho. Might have to head to buddies camp with the T/C.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: Early Muzzle Loader Season Reports. 2011/10/14 07:42:17 (permalink)
    Will be out bowhunting.  Maybe hoping some of the few small gamers left of a muzzleloader hunter will move some deer my way.  Weather is looking horrible in these parts.  35-40mph Friday night into Saturday.  Great for still hunting on the wet ground but very bad for filming. 

My rifle is a black rifle
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: Early Muzzle Loader Season Reports. 2011/10/14 07:48:54 (permalink)
    Two years ago I went out and shot a big doe with a flint,and regreted it all season,I'll do the after Christmas hunt.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Early Muzzle Loader Season Reports. 2011/10/14 08:46:20 (permalink)
    I'm going fishin' somewhere. Rain amount will determine where.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: Early Muzzle Loader Season Reports. 2011/10/14 10:20:15 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SilverKype

Oh no, the 11th commandmnet is: Archery hunting is sooooooooooooo hard that one needs every day (and more days too) in order to even have a chance a harvesting (kill, whatever) that wiley whitetail.  Get your butt up a tree somewhere.

Just kidding.  Good luck whichever you choose to do.  Finding good water might be a trick.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    heyiknowyou
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1279
    RE: Early Muzzle Loader Season Reports. 2011/10/14 10:29:36 (permalink)
    gonna shoot her

go back to spain
    11-12-11: the last time i got punched in the face
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Early Muzzle Loader Season Reports. 2011/10/14 10:41:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DarDys

Oh no, the 11th commandmnet is: Archery hunting is sooooooooooooo hard that one needs every day (and more days too) in order to even have a chance a harvesting (kill, whatever) that wiley whitetail.  Get your butt up a tree somewhere.

Just kidding.  Good luck whichever you choose to do.  Finding good water might be a trick.

hahahah. 

Be quiet.  

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Early Muzzle Loader Season Reports. 2011/10/14 13:27:05 (permalink)

hahahah. 

Be quiet.  

Okay.

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Early Muzzle Loader Season Reports. 2011/10/14 16:18:45 (permalink)
    No early muzzy for me. Either after xmas when the snow is on or maybe regular firearms season if there is snow. I only shoot flintlocks and don't own any inlines.
    Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: Early Muzzle Loader Season Reports. 2011/10/14 17:36:47 (permalink)
    No early muz for me either.  Don't need a second doe unless I make it through the rut w/o a buck.  Rather hunt the late season w/ my flintlock than sit in the wind and rain tomorrow.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Early Muzzle Loader Season Reports. 2011/10/14 18:16:14 (permalink)
    Not a big fan of the early muzzy season.  It just means that we will get our first large rush of entitled trespassers tomorrow

worm_waster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: Early Muzzle Loader Season Reports. 2011/10/14 19:26:16 (permalink)
    Dawn will find me in a tree on private property (with permission). Any archers I may "bother" would be tresspassing.

I like the EML because the weather is good and the deer aren't being chased. Isn't that the same reason archers enjoy hunting in mid-Oct?

I would like to see more opportunity for muzzleloaders, such as maybe a 1 or 2 day buck season. While I like nostalgia and all, I would also be in favor of including inlines in the late season. The vast majority of gun hunters are done by the first week. I don't see a few guys with inlines overrunning any hunting areas in the late season.

JMO.w_w.

If it has fins and gills, I'm there.

BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Early Muzzle Loader Season Reports. 2011/10/15 08:19:10 (permalink)
    I dont forsee that any of yinz are doing sheet right now. My 70 year old uncle got mad because I'm blowing off squirrel hunting today.
    Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    RE: Early Muzzle Loader Season Reports. 2011/10/15 09:43:39 (permalink)
    Don't get me wrong.  I really like the early muz season.  The timing is good as mid-Oct is generally pretty slow in buck action...at least in my experience.  Gives me an opportunity to meat hunt with a little more challenge than rifle season, but better chance of success than archery.

I still won't support inlines in the late season though.  While I am a supporter of some progressive PA game laws, that's one I'd like to see untouched.  The flintlock season is for those who prefer to go up against the elements and seasoned hardened deer.  All the while in relative solitude.  Take the solitude away by allowing more effective weapons and the enjoyment the season affords some folks diminishes.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Early Muzzle Loader Season Reports. 2011/10/15 11:54:42 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Claypool313

Don't get me wrong.  I really like the early muz season.  The timing is good as mid-Oct is generally pretty slow in buck action...at least in my experience.  Gives me an opportunity to meat hunt with a little more challenge than rifle season, but better chance of success than archery.

I still won't support inlines in the late season though.  While I am a supporter of some progressive PA game laws, that's one I'd like to see untouched.  The flintlock season is for those who prefer to go up against the elements and seasoned hardened deer.  All the while in relative solitude.  Take the solitude away by allowing more effective weapons and the enjoyment the season affords some folks diminishes.

Yes I have to agree with you.Flintlock season was introduced in the 70's and should remain privative with only flintlock ignition being the only method to fire a muzzleloader. Kinda hated to see it when they allowed the use of fiber optic sites and also cronical and sabot type bullets. Should of stuck with the patched round balls. Alot of times I try and save a tag so I can hunt the late season. To me it's more than just killing a deer. It's one of the bests times to get out and enjoy the woods and also one of the most difficult time to kill a deer..
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Early Muzzle Loader Season Reports. 2011/10/15 11:57:42 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: BloodyHand

I dont forsee that any of yinz are doing sheet right now. My 70 year old uncle got mad because I'm blowing off squirrel hunting today.

Don't bet on that

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Early Muzzle Loader Season Reports. 2011/10/15 21:08:08 (permalink)
    Only heard 2 shots all day and they sounded like a couple guys unloading at the end of the hunt. Would have been tough keeping it dry where I was.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: Early Muzzle Loader Season Reports. 2011/10/15 21:21:17 (permalink)
    Archery hunted a few hours in the morning and cut my evening hunt short becuase of the dangerous conditions.  Saw two does.  No muzzleloader hunters about near me.   

My rifle is a black rifle
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Early Muzzle Loader Season Reports. 2011/10/15 21:38:06 (permalink)
    Hunted morning and evening but skipped the midday sit. Grandson and I had doe under us both sits but no bucks. Some of those gusts were a bit spooky.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Early Muzzle Loader Season Reports. 2011/10/15 22:50:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: S-10

Hunted morning and evening but skipped the midday sit. Grandson and I had doe under us both sits but no bucks. Some of those gusts were a bit spooky.

Give you alot of credit taking the grandson out on a day like this. Someday he will relize what a great guy his grandfather is if he dosen't already .
    Moses Guthrie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 216
    RE: Early Muzzle Loader Season Reports. 2011/10/16 12:55:03 (permalink)
    old lady bought me an inline this year, so I took it out yesteday, had two mature does down by 8:30. It is nice to have the freezer full early but think I will stick with just bow hunting next year. Just enjoy hunting with the bow alot more.
    worm_waster
    Expert Angler
    RE: Early Muzzle Loader Season Reports. 2011/10/16 14:08:22 (permalink)
    Well I woke up at 4:30 and saw the weather and really thought about going back to bed. Instead I jumped in the truck and headed South.

The owners of the property always give me the combination to the large enclosed treestand, but rarely do I ever use it. This was the perfect day for it.

I climbed in a half hour or so before dawn and waited.

About the time Bloody Hand was posting abot the poor conditions, a small flock of turkeys came out (all jakes) came out and pecked around for a while. I glanced down another trail and here comes a deer. Many years I see more buck than does here so I carefully looked for antlers. There were none. She turned broadside at 50 yards and I lit 42 grains of 5744. At the shot, it almost ran into a turkey. I waited for a while after the shot. I was concerned that if I jumped it it would be gone. Besides, I still had a cup of coffee left. As I reloaded, another doe came by and provided an open shot broadside at about 50 yards. It ran away in an instant as I opened the door of the blind.

I walked to where I seen the deer last and was happy to find that it had expired about 6 feet from the two track. The 250 gr. Hornady cutting a quarter sized hole through it's heart.

Not exactly the most difficult hunt. My 1B anterless hunting was over in under 2 hours. The deer was in the freezer yesterday and I had my first fresh venison since the last day of firearm season last year.

Now to 2G (land of no deer )for the rest of the season with 2 DMAPs in hand. It sounds like the fishing is good there, so I may not hunt too much. Backstrap and Tenderloins will be on hte menu whether I hunt or not.w_w.

P.S. No archery hunters were bothered or even sighted during my hunt.

Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    RE: Early Muzzle Loader Season Reports. 2011/10/16 16:26:57 (permalink)
    42 grains of 5744

Pardon my ignorance.  What is 5744?
    worm_waster
    Expert Angler
    RE: Early Muzzle Loader Season Reports. 2011/10/16 16:48:10 (permalink)
    It's a smokeless powder made by Accurate Arms.  It is most commonly used in big bore handguns and rifles. 

I shoot a Savage ML10.  5744 is probably the most common powder used in them.

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Early Muzzle Loader Season Reports. 2011/10/16 16:50:07 (permalink)
    Probably most recognized due it's lower pressures and soft recoil.
    Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    RE: Early Muzzle Loader Season Reports. 2011/10/16 18:31:30 (permalink)
    Ah ha.  I thought it sounded like smokeless powder.  My next question was going to be about your gun, but already answered that.  I had heard Savage makes a smokeless powder rated muzzleloader.  Just didn't know anyone who actually tried it out.
    worm_waster
    Expert Angler
    RE: Early Muzzle Loader Season Reports. 2011/10/16 22:02:55 (permalink)
    This is my 3rd season with the Savage. It would take a change in the PA regulations for me to consider anything else.

The 5744 is OA mentioned is a pretty bland powder, but it is considered the most reliable powder for use in the 10ML and also one of the most accurate. The Vitevuri (sp) powders are much faster and about as accurate, but often require 5-10 grains of a "priming" powder for proper ignition. I'm a hunter, not a shooter, so 2200fps with a 250 grain bullet works fine for the deer and black bear that I hunt. It kicks less than a .270 (the gun is heavy). Typically it groups 1.5 - 2moa. I imagine that if I played with loads, I could get moa.

When I researched these, I found that there are lots of guys shooting them at long range. And saw a few 4-5" groups at 500 yards with target scopes. Mine is topped with a VX2 Leupold in 3X9.

If you have any more questions about them fire away.w_w.

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    RE: Early Muzzle Loader Season Reports. 2011/10/17 09:54:46 (permalink)
    Congrats guys...
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Early Muzzle Loader Season Reports. 2011/10/17 13:58:34 (permalink)

hahahah. 

Be quiet.  

Well, how did whatever you did go?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: