perch fishing

Author
Hammer Handle
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 73
  • Reward points: 0
2010/10/01 08:01:19 (permalink)

perch fishing

Any reports on the perch fishing? I know the Lake has been rough but I'm not ready to quit on perch and start Steelhead fishing. Are emarald shiners still available at the bait shops.

19 Replies Related Threads

chauncy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1298
    RE: perch fishing 2010/10/01 08:33:46 (permalink)
    Went perchin out of conneaut wednesday with a buddy from Ohio. We caught well over a hundred to get our 60 keepers. They were in 72ft of water. We used goldens and sabiki rigs.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: perch fishing 2010/10/01 08:54:06 (permalink)

This is posted only to get info, not a reflection on the above poster..

As I have mentioned I am new to this lake erie fishing stuff ..

after reading the above post about catching a 100 to get 60 keepers, I have a question..

on the head-boat you have to keep the dinks (small ones) but I see nothing in the fishing laws about that, I have been told that bringing perch up from 50+ feet will not allow them to live if released.. is this true...

I can not understand removing 40 extra fish from the population for next year just because one thinks they are too small.. Is the rule on the boat just that a rule for that boat ?? or is it something SOME guys do on lake erie. or just what is it ???
    350Z&Steelheads
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 430
    RE: perch fishing 2010/10/01 09:30:46 (permalink)
    I agree that throwing back 40 sounds like a waste. 40 fish just died.

I have no idea if there is any "rules" about doing so.
    post edited by 350Z&Steelheads - 2010/10/01 09:31:30

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Hammer Handle
    Novice Angler
    RE: perch fishing 2010/10/01 10:29:16 (permalink)
    Perch can be returned to the water usually OK provided you take a few extra steps. The most important step is to remove the hook without damaging the fish. If the air bladder is sticking out of the fish's mouth or throat it needs to be deflated by using a sharp needle....do not use a hook. The air bladder will heal from a small puncture wound.
    The head boats make you keep the dinks I believe. Probably because the faster you catch your 30 they can go home. I don't know if that is a fact.
    Hummer82
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: perch fishing 2010/10/01 10:56:20 (permalink)
    I'm sure the Lake Erie Channel Cats will leave nothing to waste

350Z&Steelheads
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 430
    RE: perch fishing 2010/10/01 11:07:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Hammer Handle

Perch can be returned to the water usually OK provided you take a few extra steps. The most important step is to remove the hook without damaging the fish. If the air bladder is sticking out of the fish's mouth or throat it needs to be deflated by using a sharp needle....do not use a hook. The air bladder will heal from a small puncture wound.
    The head boats make you keep the dinks I believe. Probably because the faster you catch your 30 they can go home. I don't know if that is a fact.

I never heard that puncturing the airbag worked like that.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1704
    RE: perch fishing 2010/10/01 11:33:31 (permalink)
    It's actually not the air bladder that protrudes from the gullet/mouth...it's the stomach that is forced through the gullet by the air bladder expansion.

I'm dubious about the actual survival rates on released perch from over 50' except from a very slow ascention. I've often seen perch released, apparently very healthy only to surface a few minutes later and become gull food. I'm not bashing either side of the argument here (I have an issue keeping 5" perch too)...just saying that I don't think many perch released from 70' ultimately survive...even with a carefully punctured stomach.
    Hammer Handle
    Novice Angler
    RE: perch fishing 2010/10/01 12:43:33 (permalink)
    I'm sure it's the air bladder. Normally when you bring a perch up from depth the airbag forces the contents of the stomach out first, hence the reason I have partially digested gobies and minnows all over my boat. As the air bladder expands even more it protrudes out of the mouth or sometimes out of the gill plate. When you puncture the air bladder with a needle you can hear the air escape.
    Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1704
    RE: perch fishing 2010/10/01 13:04:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Hammer Handle

I'm sure it's the air bladder. Normally when you bring a perch up from depth the airbag forces the contents of the stomach out first, hence the reason I have partially digested gobies and minnows all over my boat. As the air bladder expands even more it protrudes out of the mouth or sometimes out of the gill plate. When you puncture the air bladder with a needle you can hear the air escape.

It's the stomach....tRusT mEe
    chauncy
    Pro Angler
    RE: perch fishing 2010/10/01 18:54:48 (permalink)
    Not sure if headboats can make you keep those 4 and 5 inch perch to count as part of your limit that you're paying them to catch. No need to worry about not keeping them either. They dont go to waste. But if you want to keep them, to save the planet type thing, have at it. We all have choices. Keep or cull.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8511
    RE: perch fishing 2010/10/01 19:21:31 (permalink)
    One thing I do not do is poke a hole in what I thought was the air bladder (swim bladder) protruding from the fish’s mouth. That is not an air bladder; it turns out it is the fish’s stomach being pushed out because the swim bladder has burst.Swim bladders are a closed organ in a fish’s abdominal cavity. Containing gasses, it is regulated by the fish to allow it to remain at a constant depth. As the fish moves shallower, outside pressure on the fish reduces and the fish compensates by adjusting its air bladder. The reverse is true as the fish moves deeper. Some fish are able to make faster adjustments to their swim bladder than others, but despite that ability, they still have issues of they are brought to the surface too quickly from deep water. The problem occurs when a fish is brought to the surface too quickly, unable to keep up with the pressure change. The air bladder actually bursts inside the fish allowing those gasses to fill the abdominal cavity, and often pushing the stomach out of the mouth. The proper thing to do is vent the abdominal cavity, not poke a hole in the fish’s stomach. It turns out that the air bladder will heal if vented properly.

locojoe
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 40
    RE: perch fishing 2010/10/02 06:37:01 (permalink)
    It's been mentioned here previously that it's unlawful to "catch, kill, or possess..." more than one days limit. In other words, those throwbacks count. That's why, I suppose, the party boats follow that law to the letter.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: perch fishing 2010/10/02 09:46:16 (permalink)
    As far as the Edward-John goes .. if caught throwing the dinks back you will not be invited back on the boat...

so sounds like what I was told is correct... most thrown back do not live,

so it appears as in the last post throwing them back and not counting them would be considered illegal if you had your 30 in possesion too....

I'll have to ask our local PFBC WCO next time I see him what he thinks..

as for the "it's not a waste" comment...

I'm not buying that, sounds like an excuse for killing them....

I can hear the outcry if I just kill and throw back all my small trout and other fish for the turtles, catfish, heron, coons, etc, etc to feed on
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/10/02 09:49:22
    Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: perch fishing 2010/10/02 10:15:27 (permalink)
    Snug Harbor has emeralds as of yesterday. When the water is calm enough they can get out and get them. FWIW though, the goldens are a little tougher skinned and stay on the hook for a couple of fish vs. re-baiting every time with emeralds. This time of year, it really doesn't matter as to what kind of minnows your using as they will bite on just about anything.

I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one..
    chauncy
    Pro Angler
    RE: perch fishing 2010/10/02 10:57:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: locojoe

It's been mentioned here previously that it's unlawful to "catch, kill, or possess..." more than one days limit. In other words, those throwbacks count. That's why, I suppose, the party boats follow that law to the letter.

Is that in the OHIO book?
    post edited by chauncy - 2010/10/02 11:13:19
    locojoe
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 40
    RE: perch fishing 2010/10/02 20:22:28 (permalink)
    Pennsylvania.  "It is unlawful..."To catch, kill or possess more than one day’s
    limit of any fish, except: (a) at your residence and
    (b) you may possess two days’ limit while traveling
    to your residence from an overnight fishing trip of
    two or more consecutive days."

That's on p31 of this .pdf:

http://fishandboat.com/fishpub/summary/z05requirements_law.pdfhttp://fishandboat.com/fishpub/summary/z05requirements_law.pdf
    chauncy
    Pro Angler
    RE: perch fishing 2010/10/02 22:19:48 (permalink)
    Was fishing at Conneaut, Ohio. I know thats in the PA book but dont know if it's in the Ohio book. Sorry if i broke the law. Next time i'll be more aware and definetly wont post if i ever do it again.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: perch fishing 2010/10/03 06:50:54 (permalink)
    If it's legal to throw back a fish then quit carpin.....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: perch fishing 2010/10/03 08:59:15 (permalink)
    Was the fish dead when you took it off the hook? If not and you don't wish to keep it, release it. Stop when you have your daily limit.

Don't try and make it any more complicated than that.

You have not by definition "killed" the fish.

I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one..
    Jump to: