Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
CU@theriver
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 114
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/28 16:52:29 (permalink)

Kinzua/Tionesta

So I'm looking for some answers about wading these two outflows.

** Is it legal to wade in the Kinzua outflow?
If yes, where is a common access point to leave my vehicle?
Any hazards that aren't obvious such as sudden dam releases?

Any other advice to someone who has not fished either area?

I'm lookin to fish kinzua in the morning, hang out int the ANF and then hit Tionesta in the evening.

Appreciate any advice/answers.
Thanks

31 Replies Related Threads

mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 854
    RE: Kinzua/Tionesta 2010/09/28 17:22:56 (permalink)
    Lots of people better suited to answer in detail (jolie, pghmarty, bing), but here's what I learned this year:

Kinzua: Illegal to wade upstream of the "No Wading" signs. If you get caught, be prepared to pay a fine. Park at the visitors center, walk down to the river. Pretty self explanatory from there. You can also access from the Hemlock, or hatchery side.

The water is pumping pretty well right now, particularly since they've lowered the reservoir. Slimy bottom. Wading staff and felt waders are a must, IMO. When they generate electricity, you can feel the increased water flow. At least I could. Longest 15 minutes of my life. But I'd do it again in a heartbeat. It was fun.

Like I said, lots of people better suited to give detailed, specific info. This summer was my first foray into the tailwaters. Lots of fun, just be smart and be safe.

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Kinzua/Tionesta 2010/09/28 17:46:07 (permalink)
    Lots of people better suited to answer in detail (jolie, pghmarty, bing),

Probably better for Jolie and Bing

I only shore fish that area about twice a year and only wade the shallows below the visitor center on one of the trips.
    When I go to Kinzua I am staying at my parents house in Bradford and shore fish Sugar Run or Willow Bay that is much closer.
    By boat I fish the bays or sometimes drift the middle.
    Sugar Run has the remains of a bridge showing and a roadbed that extends from that.
    Walk the road that should be out of the water with the low reservoir level now then wade out on either side.
    No sudden drop offs or swift current but sometimes a soft spot of mud.

I also know a stream with a few native trout that should be legal size now-they were just under in the spring.
    As a Kinzua tradition "I'm not tellin where they are"

clearwater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 345
    RE: Kinzua/Tionesta 2010/09/28 17:53:05 (permalink)
    tionesta is ok to wade dont know that id wade right by the dam but a lil down would be ok. the area from the dam down to the swimming are would be ur best bet.

10% Of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish..... IT AIN'T LUCK
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Kinzua/Tionesta 2010/09/28 18:39:31 (permalink)
    By no wading at Kinzua they mean don't even be getting your feet wet. They cut you no slack on that issue if you get caught. Probably with good reason as there are many places where the bottom is fine gravel boardering deep holes and will wash out from under your feet. One such spot is at the round overlook on the 59 side.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Kinzua/Tionesta 2010/09/28 18:41:18 (permalink)
    double post
    post edited by S-10 - 2010/09/28 18:42:02
    outfortrout
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Kinzua/Tionesta 2010/09/29 00:30:24 (permalink)
    This site gives the current conditions including flow rate (cubic feet/second).
    http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?03012550

This site forecasts the conditions for the next three days.
    http://wmw.lrp.usace.army.mil/current/forecast.html

That second site is tricky though. Let's say that the forecasted flow for tomorrow is 1900 and for the day after it is 5000. Don't be surprised when you go fishing tomorrow and the flow is 5000. They raise and lower around 9 am so eventhough it says it won't be 5000 until two days from now it'll actually change at around 9 am tomorrow. Ubertracker taught me that thankfully.

Be careful where and when you wade up there. That current is nothing to trifle with.
    jolie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Kinzua/Tionesta 2010/09/29 08:43:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: CU@theriver

So I'm looking for some answers about wading these two outflows.

Lots of good advice on this thread lets see what I can add.

** Is it legal to wade in the Kinzua outflow?
    If yes, where is a common access point to leave my vehicle?

as everyone said you can only fish below a line of three markers on the river.

First you will have to choose between the two sides of the river.  The easiest way is from RT59 out of warren, where you can park at a large visitors center.  The mentioned observation tower is on this side, it is also right "on the line" of where you can wade.  The other side is hemlock road, a small street that heads out of warren just on the north side of the glade (pennsylvania avenue) bridge.  On this side is a several parking spots, including the fishing Pier at the top of the road.  Don't wade Anywhere near the fishing pier, you are VERY visible to employees at the electric plant as well as any visiting fish wardens. 

ok,  for wading purposes I would point out that MOST of hemlock side is posted (the signs angle downstream on the hemlock side) and that access on the hemlock side is a little tricky.  On the other hand, I Don't recommend wading above the boat launch on the 59side.  Most people on the 59 side are actually heading for dixon island or lower.  The boat launch is near the downstream end of the visitors center parking lot.

Keep watch on the river when heading from this side.  right now water flow is 1800 and the "path" to dixon island is "open" from the 59.  Recently though I has swung closer to 2200.  beyond 2200 I would say that you will struggle a bit to get into fishable water, once you get to the rapids.
    If the water is high, try wading from the hemlock side. its much easier to cross the little channel than to tackle the whole river coming down as riffle/rapids.

Any hazards that aren't obvious such as sudden dam releases?

slippery rocks, shifting rocks, heavy current. yes.  Be careful of any rock!  I get nervous in waders when I get to bigger rocks.  if you can walk on top of the same rock it prolly has a wicked drop on one side.  look around and you'll see rocks like that ABOVE the water.

I'm a little worried about saying too much... but I feel the need to warn you about one area.  in the area I've recommended (downstream of the boat launch), there is a place with some of those rocks.  Downstream of the Dixon island Rapids, don't hug the 59side shore.  There are some big boulders along that stretch.

Any other advice to someone who has not fished either area? I'm lookin to fish kinzua in the morning, hang out int the ANF and then hit Tionesta in the evening.

mmm, what to say about a morning wading in kinzua?  first be reasonable about your expectations- They have stocked thousand and thousands of small rainbow trout (with a smattering of browns).  Even throwing big rapallas, sometimes all we can connect to is those dang fingerlings.  I would think your chance of connecting to a small rainbow is MUCH higher with a little fly.  If you've read the TWer thread, you know that many fly fishermen recommend a bigger streamer to discourage the little guys. 

I would put in a little more time than what you sound like your planning.  The alleghany river is BIG and to just fish an couple hours means you've barely tried it.  Even I usually put in 3-4 hours per night.  for a wading fishermen the action starts near the rapids of dixon island and just keeps going and going.  look at the whole river on google maps to get an idea of the layout of the river.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to add that although you've said your wading the river that there is advantages to not wading.  Without waders, much of the tailwaters opens up, because you either aren't allowed to wade (esp on t he hemlock side) or wouldn't want to.  Waders only give you access to the extreme downstream waters of the tailwaters. the rest of the tailwaters are fished from the shore.

ok this is enough to get you started.  reply with questions if you think of anything else.  I recommend looking at a satellite image of it from google, reading the tailwaters thread and scoping on even more information by searching for old posts.  You never know, maybe us "tight lipped" anglers let the cat out the bag during an old post.

SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: Kinzua/Tionesta 2010/09/29 10:10:46 (permalink)
    CU at the River: Jolie's advice is spot on. If you're fly fishing theres nothing wrong with fishing from shore on the 59 side. The river can be an intimidating place for a fly fisher. I remember when I first started fly fishing it thinking "How the heck do I fish this place? I can only cast 30-40 feet". So I had to fish that 30 feet of river as best I could, getting a good drift, cherry picking the little pockets and runs within my reach, and it worked. I caught a Brown up there in Early April 5 or 6 years back that I thought was a carp when it was hooked, just fishing close to shore. I've had decent days catching a mixed bag of trout and walleye by starting way up by the wall on the 59 side, and fishing down to the big hole downstream of the observation tower with an orange and white zonker streamer. The closer to the dam you get the more slippery the rocks get because of the mist. Its not a bad idea to wear studded felt wading boots when shore fishing up by the wall.

Support your local Fly Shop!

OHWM
    jolie
    Expert Angler
    RE: Kinzua/Tionesta 2010/09/29 10:34:36 (permalink)
    sonofZ,

wow, it seems to me like it'd be real hard to get a good backcast in spots up near the wall. Good job!  the furthest up I ever tried fly fishing is the observation tower.  its definitely possible to get a backcast in there.

but you made the point.  This is a BIG river and a 40' cast doesn't reach much of the river. thats one of the very biggest issues with fly fishing here, you can reach SO much more water with a rapalla (of course, unless you're truly talented at fly casting).

anyways fly fishing between the wall and boat launch is, as SOFZ says possible but wading is really problematic.  downstream of the signs and above the boat launch there are sudden drop offs.

lunker49
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 49
    RE: Kinzua/Tionesta 2010/09/29 12:17:20 (permalink)
    I have been fishing the race for years and recently wanted to put some time in fly fishing. Very interesting to hear you guys are flyfishing as far up as the observation deck- a few years back in october i was throwing plugs in that hole below the signs (rt 59 side) and those fingerling trout were just havin a heyday jumping around and then a hell of a splash. ol musky or pike came in for supper. Looking forward to some fall fishing
    troutslammer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 382
    RE: Kinzua/Tionesta 2010/09/29 22:49:54 (permalink)
    i know everyone on here argues the point of whats wadable at kinzua but all i can say is this , i weigh 160 lbs (float relatively easy ) and anything above 1500 cfs of discharge is too much for me to safely navigate to wherever i want to go (like across from 59 side to dixon island , when i say wadable i mean from one bank to the other so when you decide after you go up then u will find out what is your confort zone and maybe your definition of wadable means 10 feet out from shore too ......so .....
    lunker49
    New Angler
    RE: Kinzua/Tionesta 2010/09/30 08:32:23 (permalink)
    Well i weigh 260 and i agree  years ago at night we would wade a few feet but down near dixon island that current above 1500cfs from the 59 side is strong. Spin fishing isnt as big an issue because you can really get out there. Up near the dam off to the side its not the current as much as a quick drop off.
    but you arent allowed anyway
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    RE: Kinzua/Tionesta 2010/09/30 11:58:09 (permalink)
    Jolie: You have to rollcast, or use a cast I was taught as a "water haul" (I've since found out there are different water haul casts, but this is what a water haul cast means to me). If you're facing the river at the wall with the water flowing from right to left, let your fly and line swing all the way downstream so that its parallel with the bank. Have your rod pointing downstream directly at your fly, with the tip a little above the water's surface. Now raise the rod and your arm up to pull most of the line off the water, NOT just raising the rod tip, keep the rod level with the river's surface but lift it up. You should have just a few feet of line and your leader still on the water. Now do a sharp haul on the line with your left hand to load the rod (put a bend in it), while bringing the rod tip up in front of you, then out where you want the line to go, just like on a forward cast. The line will follow the rod tip and go from downstream, back out into the current. If you bring the rod tip down toward the water too much on the forward part of the cast the line will follow it and pile up right in front of you. the key is using the drag of the river on the end of your fly line and the haul on the line to load the rod and generate the speed you'd normally get from having all that line in the air behind you. It sounds complicated, but its actually real simple. Life, haul, flick back out. the more weighted the fly is the more difficult this cast is. If you're standing on a clock face, facing 12, your line goes from 9 oclock to about 1 or 2. Its not graceful, and not as efficient as a backcast, but it gets the job done.

OHWM
    go-n-fishn
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 225
    RE: Kinzua/Tionesta 2010/09/30 15:04:12 (permalink)
    You want to watch out for the report from the USGS?GOV site. I've been checking it lately the calling them and getting a big difference in numbers. The one on the web says its in the teens but on the phone its over 2300. So don't be surprised when you get there if its higher than expected.

There will be days when fishing is better than ones optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.
    **Roderick Haig-Brown
    ubertracker
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: Kinzua/Tionesta 2010/09/30 15:25:59 (permalink)
    you might want to check this site. http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?site_no=03012550

It gives you an hourly discharge rate. But with the rain we received today or at any other point in time after heavy rains, these charts are hard to go by due to fact that at any point they could start releasing more. Always make a mental note on how high the water is on you if you are wading. If you are constantly moving.. take a stick and put it in the ground at waters edge and if you see the water rising on the stick.. start heading to shore.. it might only be an increase of a couple hundred cfps but it could be a couple thousand.. just never know.
    lunker49
    New Angler
    RE: Kinzua/Tionesta 2010/09/30 15:26:19 (permalink)
    i am not surprised i thought the numbers reflected a reduction because of heavy rains south, but i know in the next week the
    dam should be letting out more.
    jolie
    Expert Angler
    RE: Kinzua/Tionesta 2010/09/30 15:57:00 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: troutslammer

i know everyone on here argues the point of whats wadable at kinzua but all i can say is this , i weigh 160 lbs (float relatively easy ) and anything above 1500 cfs of discharge is too much for me to safely navigate to wherever i want to go (like across from 59 side to dixon island , when i say wadable i mean from one bank to the other so when you decide after you go up then u will find out what is your confort zone and maybe your definition of wadable means 10 feet out from shore too ......so .....

no there's no argument is there?

I can wade shore to shore at 2200 cfs near the bottom of the dixon island rapids.  its challenging but doable.  I'm not saying anyone can do it, and I certainly would'nt recommend to a newbe, but after a few trips you get the why and the whats about the main run at dixon island.  stay off of shiftable rocks, keep sidewides to minimize the force of the current and lean into it slightly.  I also didn't rush it and took my time to make sure I really wanted to try it.

I'm 180. so its not a matter of being heavy.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as for your definition of wadable, what do I say?  if your in the water, your wading.  (thats what the fish cops think).  you can do that somewhere on the tailwaters all 365days of the year. IMHO, its a wierd definition. 
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    but no one ever said that you could cross the dixon island rapids at 14,000.  but then again, there's more than one good spot in the tailwaters; and they change as the seasons/water levels do..... so "Wading" 10' (sissy as it sounds) just might be the difference between 10 winter walleye and none.

anyways from a liability point of view I have no idea how good a lurker/regular/visiting angler is wading.  I would never urge anyone to go to a place he didn't think he/she could handle.  you've got to be confident and careful.  I'm sure you need to add a little extra caution for episodes of rising water, although normally water doesn't rise very much (it oscillates up and down, as someone in the post said) in a short period of time.

HOWEVER, they clearly are times where they make dramatic changes in water level and you should (must) be able to get out of deeper /faster water when they do.  luckily those times are very rare. 

be safe but be confident.  beginners should test the water and in sunlight to see where they can go.  if you only can get out 10'; you're still fishing water you can't fish 10' ago.  don't be like expecting too easily go everywhere below the signs, but don't make this sound like ohiopyle (or major rapids). it isn't.

SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    RE: Kinzua/Tionesta 2010/09/30 16:37:34 (permalink)
    Troutslammer: I'm with you. I won't wade from the 59 side over to Dixon in more than 1500, and I don't fish the glade bridge area or some other spots abover 1600. I'll fish the back channel of Dixon island at 2300, and just confine myself to the smaller water.

OHWM
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Kinzua/Tionesta 2010/10/01 07:03:51 (permalink)
    For casting with your back to a wall just make your false casts upstream and down stream.
    Then cast to your spot, the fly line will follow the rod tip.....DT tip #12...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

ubertracker
    Avid Angler
    RE: Kinzua/Tionesta 2010/10/01 09:07:02 (permalink)

by Joe, I think I've got it! To avoid an "argument" lets change troutslammers verb from "wading" to "crossing". To me the term wading means standing in the water. Troutslammer says its not safely wadeable for him to go from 59 to the island. That's crossing. He can still wade, but isn't comfortable wading the whole way across.. So what he is trying to say is its not crossable for him.
    Like Troutslammer said, its not comfortable for him.. I would never bust someones balls for not feeling comfortable in any level of water, but wading is a term used to describe being in the water so you can reach parts of the river that you cant from shore, so whether you are ten feet from shore or or 30 yards, you are still wading. Sometimes the current is just as swift or swifter 10 feet from shore then it is in the middle.
    If you never fished this area before, I would definitely do your exploring during the day so you can see your footing and those rocks that like to trip ya. Be careful.
    jolie
    Expert Angler
    RE: Kinzua/Tionesta 2010/10/01 09:50:15 (permalink)
    and thats one cool reason to, during higher levels to "wade" from hemlock.  that way you only have to "cross" the small backwater that forms the north side of dixon island.

it works uber. I like it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    another person posted about sudden water changes.  The water flow does indeed change hour by hour, even during stable water outflow.  The oscilation has been pretty prominent recently.  Other times we've seen either almost no change and sometimes a 1 or 2 a day burst of water.

I don't really notice any difference in "wading"  as the water flow goes up and down. 
    the thing to really watch out for is when they go from say 2,000 to 6,000 -10,000.  they can go up several thousands of cfs in an hour. 

A good resource for trying to stay informed about that is
    http://wmw.lrp.usace.army.mil/current/forecast.html

it both states the reservoir water level and the forecast outflow for the next three days.   It is particularly useful in the winter and summer when they will generally keep waters levels at the winter(summer) pool.  Keep in mind that big rain events are not anticipated in the forecast...

so as an example
    if this were summer and we were near the summer pool; yesterdays tropical rain event (2-3" throughout most of the watershed) could dramatically alter the planned outfall, even though they didn't give us three days notice.

Accountant
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: Kinzua/Tionesta 2010/10/01 16:17:04 (permalink)
    I've been the to ANF, but I've never fished in there. This and a few other threads make it seem like there are fish there, but it's a challenging environment to fish. Is my impression correct?
    ubertracker
    Avid Angler
    RE: Kinzua/Tionesta 2010/10/01 16:41:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Accountant

I've been the to ANF, but I've never fished in there. This and a few other threads make it seem like there are fish there, but it's a challenging environment to fish. Is my impression correct?

You are correct. The river is very humbling, but once you figure out a few patterns and locations, it can be rewarding.
    mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 854
    RE: Kinzua/Tionesta 2010/10/01 18:25:57 (permalink)
    +1

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

lunker49
    New Angler
    RE: Kinzua/Tionesta 2010/10/04 10:49:46 (permalink)
    Question about the river below the dam. At what temperature does turnover occur
    ubertracker
    Avid Angler
    RE: Kinzua/Tionesta 2010/10/04 11:07:04 (permalink)
    Good question. Don't really know but right now the water is coming from the top gates. Once they make the switch from the top to the bottom gates, things will change again. usually after the lake turns the water from the bottom discharge is a little warmer then the river was when it was from the top discharge. So there is going to a be a period of cooling water while the water is discharged from the top, but it will warm up a few degrees when they make the switch to the bottom gates.. I would say the river will regulate a few days after the switch over to the bottom gates occur..
    bubblegumworm
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 142
    RE: Kinzua/Tionesta 2010/10/04 22:32:58 (permalink)
    I don't believe rivers "turnover". Turnover happens on a lake because it stratifies or has cooler water on the bottom that circulates below a middle layer called the thermocline with moderate temps. when the top warmer layer cools the water becomes heavier and mixes with the other layers causing the lake to turnover.
    In rivers these layers never form as the moving water mixes constantly causing very consistent temps top to bottom.
    some lakes are similar to this because the water moves through to quickly and does not form a thermocline. Tionesta lake is one of these lakes but the temps are probably not as consistent as a river top to bottom.
    If there is another way to define a river turnover I'd like to learn more.
    jolie
    Expert Angler
    RE: Kinzua/Tionesta 2010/10/05 08:37:53 (permalink)
    no, the river never experiences "turnover",  but the lake above DOES and it has a definite affect on the temperature of the river water.

What we see is that the declining water temperature stops, and bounces up and down for a few days before, before it declines towards the yearly minimal temperature of 35 or so degrees.

I wished I had a the chart from last year, it was all very clear when the lake turnover happened...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I think that its a bigger deal for the fishing to go from Top gates to bottom gates.  Not only does that alter temperature, that also alters the currents throughout the tailwaters.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From a practical point of view, I'd keep informed as to all changes in water conditions, if you are looking for some kind of signal that its time to start fishing for fall/winter walleye. 

There's no pressure right now (and... no kidding..no bite) and when the day comes that the walleyes start to feed; it wouldn't make a lot of sense for me or others to post it for all the world to see.

Instead, do what we're doing.  Keep track of conditions, persistently fish the tailwaters and anticipate the bite that's certain to come.
    lunker49
    New Angler
    RE: Kinzua/Tionesta 2010/10/05 08:57:27 (permalink)
    Maybe i worded my question incorrectly. At some  time in october the river does get murky from the turnover that occured in the lake. It is usually around the middle of october.
    I hope someone makes a note of that this year so i know when it happens.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: