Author
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4894
  • Reward points: 0
2010/08/20 07:42:25 (permalink)

Pondering Doe Tags II

Now I am doubly confused.

I wanted to add to the Pondering Doe Tags thread and it is locked for some reason.  I don't know why.

Second, and the reason I was going to add to the thread, was that I ended up getting a 4A bonus tag after all.  As originally stated, I had the application in the mail in time for it to arrive at the courthouse in the first delivery on that Monday morning.  I checked the PALS system everyday until that Thursday and there was nothing under my account number.  On that Thursday, 4A was shown as sold out.

I check back the following Monday, out of habit, and the screen was the same -- no awarded tag.  After that I didn't check back, thinking that there was no need -- the WMU was sold out and my account showed no tag awarded a week after the applications were due and 5 calendar days after the unit was listed as sold out.

This week, almost 20 days after sending the application in, I was reconciling my check book and realized that I had not gotten my application and check back, which would need voided to make my checking account balance.

So just for giggles, I checked the PALS system and it showed that I was awarded the tag.

What?

I was under the impression that the PALS was a real time system, meaning that as an application was processed, it put up the awarded message on your account and also subtracted the tag from the total left in the WMU.  Apparently that isn't so and there can be a considerable, like more than a week, lag.  If it had been, I would have had an awarded message on my account before the unit was listed as sold out.

I am confused.

Satisfied that I got the tag, but confused nonetheless.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.

29 Replies Related Threads

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Pondering Doe Tags II 2010/08/20 09:20:05 (permalink)
    Real "Rendell" time...
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: Pondering Doe Tags II 2010/08/20 12:07:26 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DarDys

I was under the impression that the PALS was a real time system, meaning that as an application was processed, it put up the awarded message on your account and also subtracted the tag from the total left in the WMU. 

That is the case.  Unfortunately, there were some technical problems when the antlerless tags started to be issued.  Supposedly those issues have been resolved. 

My rifle is a black rifle
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: Pondering Doe Tags II 2010/08/20 16:34:29 (permalink)
    Gotta love it! Guys complain when they DON'T get a doe tag. And complain when THEY DO!        Just yanking your chain Dardys.
    Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: Pondering Doe Tags II 2010/08/21 09:24:56 (permalink)
    Internally the allocation system may work just fine, but the status checking feature has a couple day lag for sure.

My buddy, his wife, and I ended up snagging a few of the last 750 3A second round of unsold tags last Monday.  Figured we just saved a small herd deer for all of $21.  Dropped the apps off at the courthouse first thing in the morning.

I figure the tags will get sold no matter what, but at least this way I know they won't be used to harvest a doe.  Hope there are a lot of others in 3A thinking the same thing.  I've heard of some local businesses giving discounts for turning in unused doe tags.  What a great idea.
    bearfisherman
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: Pondering Doe Tags II 2010/08/21 15:53:47 (permalink)
    I found out I got both of my doe tags by the cashed check. My bank account had them cashed thru before the PALS had them up. Over a week delay both cases.
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: Pondering Doe Tags II 2010/08/23 00:17:08 (permalink)
    I figure the tags will get sold no matter what, but at least this way I know they won't be used to harvest a doe. Hope there are a lot of others in 3A thinking the same thing. I've heard of some local businesses giving discounts for turning in unused doe tags. What a great idea.

Unless the harvest report cards get sent in, it's a rather dumb idea for what you are trying to accomplish(save does).
    Think about it.

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: Pondering Doe Tags II 2010/08/23 09:16:34 (permalink)
    Maybe,but if you do send in the harvest tag, thePGC will say that it proves that they are right about there being enough deer to handle the amount of tags issued.One way to stop the craziness in issuing so many tags is to get the Legislators to reduce the price of tags back to 1 or 2 dollars.If they were not making so much money off of them I would bet they wouldn't see the need for so many. sam
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Pondering Doe Tags II 2010/08/23 13:31:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Noplacelikehome

Gotta love it! Guys complain when they DON'T get a doe tag. And complain when THEY DO!        Just yanking your chain Dardys.

Actually I am complaining.  Not about getting or not getting a license, but about the company that we pay, 70 cents currently for every license or tag that we buy, which adds up to millions of dollars, not providing the real time reporting that they are supposed to provided.  Perhaps they should refund the PGC (because they will never eefund us, the payers) for having technical issues.

DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Pondering Doe Tags II 2010/08/23 13:52:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mr.crappie

Maybe,but if you do send in the harvest tag, thePGC will say that it proves that they are right about there being enough deer to handle the amount of tags issued.One way to stop the craziness in issuing so many tags is to get the Legislators to reduce the price of tags back to 1 or 2 dollars.If they were not making so much money off of them I would bet they wouldn't see the need for so many. sam

Seems like sending in report cards for deer not actually killed would fool the PGC into thinking the harvest was higher than it actually was, and they would then issue fewer tags the next year.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Pondering Doe Tags II 2010/08/23 14:20:22 (permalink)

Actually I am complaining.  Not about getting or not getting a license, but about the company that we pay, 70 cents currently for every license or tag that we buy, which adds up to millions of dollars, not providing the real time reporting that they are supposed to provided.  Perhaps they should refund the PGC (because they will never eefund us, the payers) for having technical issues.

Welcome to the world of outsourced information systems !

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: Pondering Doe Tags II 2010/08/23 14:26:47 (permalink)
    Seems like you're dammed if you do or dammed if you don't. Not useing the tags, they may say,"we need to increase the harvest as we estimate X amount of deer and we are not reaching our quota" or "look how many were killed,there is more deer then we thought, lets reduce the amount of deer in that WMU and issue more tags". Remember who we are dealing with; no rhyme or reason to most of these decisions that the PGC makes...WF
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Pondering Doe Tags II 2010/08/23 15:37:50 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SilverKype

Don't get me started on that.  I just spent the better part of an hour with tech services from you know who to get something to work that worked, oh two weeks ago.  LOL.

Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    RE: Pondering Doe Tags II 2010/08/23 20:25:54 (permalink)
    quote:

I figure the tags will get sold no matter what, but at least this way I know they won't be used to harvest a doe. Hope there are a lot of others in 3A thinking the same thing. I've heard of some local businesses giving discounts for turning in unused doe tags. What a great idea.

Unless the harvest report cards get sent in, it's a rather dumb idea for what you are trying to accomplish(save does).
    Think about it.

Ironhed

I have thought about it and I disagree.  Fact is the tags will get sold no matter what...at their current allocation anyway.  If I'm holding a tag I can determine if it will get used.  If someone else holds the tag, they can do whatever they want.  If a couple thousand people in 3A all have the same idea, then it will make a difference.  Now, where there's a real argument is how the PGC in their infinite wisdom would interpret.

I can also see two sides to sending in the report card.  Again, it comes to how the PGC interprets the message.  So given their track record, I would put my money on "all is well" propaganda.  "What do you mean there are no deer?  Just look at the harvest report cards.  Time to increase allocations!!!"  I put much less faith in "Look at all these harvest report cards.  Whoa this area is getting over harvested.  We better drop allocations before there's an uprising!!!".

Like WF said, ****ed if you do ****ed if you don't.  At least this way, I know the tags won't get used.  I like to exercise a little freedom of choice once in a while.  Seems like it's getting harder to do these days.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Pondering Doe Tags II 2010/08/23 20:55:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SilverKype

Don't get me started on that.  I just spent the better part of an hour with tech services from you know who to get something to work that worked, oh two weeks ago.  LOL.

It's good when stuff breaks.   I like to think of it as job security.  Heck, I might break something on purpose tomorrow. 

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Pondering Doe Tags II 2010/08/24 07:23:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: World Famous
    Seems like you're dammed if you do or dammed if you don't.

That's the bottom line.  It is foolhardy to apply logic to a government agency.  The PGC writes its own data to support its own agenda.  The deer harvest statistics bear this out. http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=625882&mode=2

According to the PGC data:
    3 times as many bucks were killed any year in the past decade as were killed during any year in the 70's.
    5-7 times as many does were killed for any year in the past decade as were killed during any year in the 70's.

According to the PGC "statistics", we are currently living in the "best" deer hunting this state has ever had!

Buying a doe tag and not usiing it is simply a "feel good" measure.  I prefer to keep the money out of their hands and hope the tag goes unsold, also a "feel good" measure, but I can use the money to buy some Obama Christmas cards. 

deerfly
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1271
    RE: Pondering Doe Tags II 2010/08/24 07:54:31 (permalink)
    3 times as many bucks were killed any year in the past decade as were killed during any year in the 70's.
    5-7 times as many does were killed for any year in the past decade as were killed during any year in the 70's.

The PGC harvest data prior to 1986 was the actual number of report cards that were received. Beginning in 1986 the PGC adjusted the reported kill based on the reporting rate. The buck harvests since 2007 are all below the buck harvests in the 70's.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: Pondering Doe Tags II 2010/08/24 07:58:59 (permalink)
    "According to the PGC data:
    5-7 times as many does were killed for any year in the past decade as were killed during any year in the 70's."

Actually, thats not the case tull. You must not be aware that the harvest numbers in years prior to 1986 were the actually REPORTED deer harvested. After 1986 they changed the system, they added in the percentage guestimate also for noncompliance. Currently they believe around 40% or so actually report so they add in around 60% to the harvest numbers.

IF you compare apples to apples, there hasnt been a lower buck harvest for around 50 years or so.

Lately the actual reported buck harvest has been around 40 some thousand according to annual reports.
    post edited by wayne c - 2010/08/24 08:02:31
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: Pondering Doe Tags II 2010/08/24 08:00:52 (permalink)
    Beat me to it deerfly, you musta been in middle of posting when i started.
    post edited by wayne c - 2010/08/24 08:01:18
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    RE: Pondering Doe Tags II 2010/08/24 09:14:30 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: wayne c

IF you compare apples to apples, there hasnt been a lower buck harvest for around 50 years or so.

I cannot find anything "apple to apples" about that chart.  But you're saying the PGC knows most of its data is flawed by an estimated factor of 60% and publishes it anyhow.

Lately the actual reported buck harvest has been around 40 some thousand according to annual reports.

That works out to an avaerage of 600/county, that's a believable number.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: Pondering Doe Tags II 2010/08/24 09:54:14 (permalink)
    Its not "flawed" data. It was just stated in a different format. For years they just chose to give the raw data from the actual number of reported harvests... Nothing wrong with that, but its not meant or possible to be compared at face value to current totals.

They realize, as anyone should, that there are a percentage of hunters who do not report harvests.

They assess the percentage of noncompliance by checking meat processors, and roadside checks. The percentage of deer not reported among those checked is then applied to the statewide harvest. Last few years according to pgc it has run around 60% who did NOT report the deer they harvested.

The data they gave prior to 1986 isnt flawed. It just didnt have the percentage of noncompliance added to it like the post 1986 data does.

The actual reported harvest is still given occaissionally. Last year i believe on the annual reports the number of report cards reported by hunters was in the 40 some thousand range. Compare that to the pre-1986 reported harvests (which were the only ones given prior to 1986).

-Usually when there is a table containing the data from years prior to 1986, to after, there is an asterisk and notation at the bottom because of this.
    post edited by wayne c - 2010/08/24 09:58:38
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    RE: Pondering Doe Tags II 2010/08/24 10:31:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: wayne c

The data they gave prior to 1986 isnt flawed. It just didnt have the percentage of noncompliance added to it like the post 1986 data does.

Uhhh, OK...that's flawed in my eyes.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: Pondering Doe Tags II 2010/08/24 11:49:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: deerfly

The buck harvests since 2007 are all below the buck harvests in the 70's.

I didn't read the entire new DMP yet.  Curious if there any any success rates for antlered and or antlerless deer now compared to the past?

My rifle is a black rifle
    deerfly
    Pro Angler
    RE: Pondering Doe Tags II 2010/08/24 12:42:43 (permalink)
    I'm not sure if they are in the DMP but Dr. Rosenberry claims the buck harvest rate is about the same as 20 years ago. Note, he chose not to compare it to the harvest rate in 2000 and 2001, before ARs were implemented. I started a new thread on the topic of buck harvest rates and ARs.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: Pondering Doe Tags II 2010/08/24 12:55:27 (permalink)
    Yeah, i noticed that too deerfly. Reason is we killed nearly twice as many bucks as we are now, and we didnt have double the hunters to do it. Dont have to be a math wizard to figure out those two hunter success rates would be separated by quite a few numerals. lol
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: Pondering Doe Tags II 2010/08/24 12:59:18 (permalink)
    Youre also not danged if you do and danged if you dont. If you buy tags not to use its meaningless. The number one factor pgc uses is the BUCK harvest to determine if the herd is growing or declining. The allocation is also supposed to be based on the habitat assessment, so if the habitat is poor and its determined more deer are in need of being harvested, it doesnt matter if you harvest and turn in 10 doe or none, the allocation will increase.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Pondering Doe Tags II 2010/08/24 13:20:50 (permalink)
    No matter how the PGC tries to spin it these are the only revelant numbers concerning our deer herd.

2000 buck kill--203,221-------2008 buck kill--122,410-----difference a reduction of 40%

2001 buck kill--203,247-------2009 buck kill--108,330-----difference a reduction of 47%

Tell me again what a wonderful thing they are doing.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: Pondering Doe Tags II 2010/08/24 13:30:10 (permalink)
    Can add to that list 2007 too, just over 109,000. That makes 3 pathetic harvests straight.

I like when pgc makes the comparisons. lol. They like to group in some of the higher harvest years from BEFORE herd reduction was actually completed, althought those years in no way represent the rock bottom lows of the last 3 years. Yeah....thats real honest of those gents. lol.
    post edited by wayne c - 2010/08/24 17:58:32
    deerfly
    Pro Angler
    RE: Pondering Doe Tags II 2010/08/24 18:00:14 (permalink)
    Here is the data on license sales , the number of deer hunters and the number of archery hunters from the DMP.

Table 8. General hunting license sales, deer hunters, archery and muzzleloader stamps
    sold, and days spent deer hunting in Pennsylvania, 1986 to 2008.
    Year
    General
    Hunting
    License Sold
    Total Deer
    Hunters1
    Archery
    Stamps Sold
    Muzzleloader
    Stamps Sold
    Total Deer
    Hunter Days1
    1986 1,166,771 1,019,644 246,099 79,182 Not available
    1987 1,171,507 1,012,430 254,770 78,862 Not available
    1988 1,164,420 1,006,994 264,796 92,619 Not available
    1989 1,156,891 1,024,560 272,364 97,817 Not available
    1990 1,160,780 1,013,974 285,352 105,620 7,561,815
    1991 1,160,202 1,007,178 296,244 106,372 7,707,280
    1992 1,156,736 1,008,725 309,012 103,309 7,615,521
    1993 1,130,090 973,662 317,344 77,494 7,846,783
    1994 1,116,832 983,703 322,378 76,071 8,843,314
    1995 1,087,804 959,880 322,065 79,556 8,081,752
    1996 1,088,733 940,127 328,193 83,996 8,511,025
    1997 1,063,366 909,489 321,556 83,208 7,955,254
    1998 1,069,627 899,965 328,451 90,421 8,046,895
    1999 1,033,315 882,580 276,622 106,090 7,991,856
    2000 1,038,846 913,646 284,223 137,737 8,190,304
    2001 1,047,820 858,622 285,987 147,413 7,287,583
    2002 1,017,154 793,502 283,055 166,076 6,875,037
    2003 1,018,248 790,595 285,121 188,388 6,401,485
    2004 1,013,866 No survey 284,493 200,193 No survey
    2005 964,158 739,532 269,752 200,903 6,437,077
    2006 945,892 762,936 268,751 198,291 6,858,281
    – Data from annual Game Take survey of a 2% random sample of Pennsylvania hunting
    license buyers

As usual the data didn't copy and paste in it's original format, but I think Table 8 is on page 36 of the DMP.
    Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    RE: Pondering Doe Tags II 2010/08/24 19:51:52 (permalink)
    Well then I guess I just feel good then.
    Jump to: