Steel Force Broadheads

Author
Milz44
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points: 0
2010/07/12 12:06:55 (permalink)

Steel Force Broadheads

I am setting up my bow for a Elk hunt in Idaho and recently purchased Steel Force Broadheads and they will not fly right....
What is the deal with these heads? I have no problems with the practice tips and then I switch to the broadhead and the arrow tails off and there is a whisteling noise.
Any suggestions???

12 Replies Related Threads

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Steel Force Broadheads 2010/07/12 14:19:16 (permalink)
    I don't know anything about the broadheads in question, but here is where I would start to fix it.

Spin test your arrows with the broadheads on. There are a number of ways to do this, but the easiest I have found is to buy/borrow a cheap spin tester. The arrow should spin true. If not you likely have an insert off center or a warped arrow. Check all arrows and heads and correct questionable arrows. You can do this on just about any hard, level surface, but the little testers are nice.

Paper tuning. You may have to go to a shop to do this because they often have the set up to do them quickly. Essentially you are shooting through the paper to see if your arrow flight is true. The arrows should leave a perfect hole; if they rip or tear the paper even the slightest bit you need to do some rest or nock adjustment. Also if your arrow is underspined that could cause some flight issues.

Good luck and make sure you get it fixed for your trip of a lifetime.
    post edited by Esox_Hunter - 2010/07/12 14:47:13
    Milz44
    New Angler
    RE: Steel Force Broadheads 2010/07/12 14:44:56 (permalink)
    Thanks ESOX,

I will try everything you suggested.
    Thanks for the information and I will post my results.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Steel Force Broadheads 2010/07/13 02:47:30 (permalink)
    Exsox gave some good advise.Its not uncommom for this to happen using this style of broadhead.If your bow is properly tuned and you are cosistly tearing clean holes then you need to look else where. One thing in question is what are the length of your vanes. Sometimes the front of the arrow will steer and the back wont stabilize its because the vanes are too short.This is called planeing and is common with your style of broadheads. Most guys dont want to spend the time or refletch in trying to get large broadheads to fly so they use mechanical heads. Screw them on and 9 out of ten they will shoot with field tips of the same weight. Getting large heads to group can be time comsuming. If you dont want to take the time an effort try some mechanical heads. Many perform well. I still use the NAP Spitfires. One other thing, try aligning the head blades with the vanes, sometimes this helps? Good Luck !
    Milz44
    New Angler
    RE: Steel Force Broadheads 2010/07/13 08:22:12 (permalink)
    I went to the Archery shop yesterday and had them put on a drop away rest instead of the whisker bisket I had on there.
    I also had him make me some arrows with 4 inch vanes instead of the 2 inch vanes.
    Also, he gave me a number of different arrows to try.
    I did not have time to shoot last night, so hopefully I will get some time this evening.

I hope with the drop rest and the other arrows that my problem will be gone.

OA, Mechanical broadheads are not allowed where I am going. ( Idaho )
    I was considering them until I found out I could not use them.

Thanks
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Steel Force Broadheads 2010/07/13 10:40:16 (permalink)
    If all that doesn't work, try a smaller diameter fixed blade like a slick trick. They fly like field points right out of the box on most setups.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Steel Force Broadheads 2010/07/13 11:11:04 (permalink)
    Milz - hopefully the new rest solves your issue. The tailing issue is from a sight not being aligned correctly. Probably not an issue with the actual biscuit but its setup. It's very likely that the issue does exist with field points, it's just that a larger, less dynamic object, in this case a broadhead, magnifys the issue greatly.

Sight your pin in at 7 yards (which is the same as 20) in todays technology world. Use the same arrow with a broadhead, shoot from 10,15,20,25,30,35. If the arrow placement consistently moves farther away from the bullseye the farther you shoot from, you still have a rest alignment issue.

Historically, feathers fly best. 2 inch vanes offset or helicaled fly like feathers. Not a fan of 4 inch + vanes. Align your broadhead blades with you vanes.

I'd suggest changing one thing at a time. Changing multiple things at once make cause a headache in finding the issue.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4894
    RE: Steel Force Broadheads 2010/07/13 12:07:10 (permalink)
    I don't archery hunt, but one of my former coworkers lived and archery hunted for elk in Colorado for 15 years.  His biggest piece of advise that he always gave guys heading for their first elk hunt was -- "Whatever you do, do not, repeat, do not shot at a walking elk.  They cover 3 - 5 feet with every step and in the time it takes the arrow to arrive, even on a slowly walking animal, what looks like a good shot turns into a bad one in a hurry.  Whislte or stop the animal somehow."

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Steel Force Broadheads 2010/07/13 15:26:44 (permalink)
    I'm sure with a little effort and patience you will be able to get good your set up to produce good flight.
    ORIGINAL: Milz44

I went to the Archery shop yesterday and had them put on a drop away rest instead of the whisker bisket I had on there.
    I also had him make me some arrows with 4 inch vanes instead of the 2 inch vanes.
    Also, he gave me a number of different arrows to try.
    I did not have time to shoot last night, so hopefully I will get some time this evening.

I hope with the drop rest and the other arrows that my problem will be gone.

OA, Mechanical broadheads are not allowed where I am going. ( Idaho )
    I was considering them until I found out I could not use them.

Thanks

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Steel Force Broadheads 2010/07/15 12:19:23 (permalink)
    Sometimes a "good flight" should not be overempahsized. Accuracy is the bottom line. I have shot lots of broad heads that don't "fly perfect", but have been VERY accurate once sighted in properly.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Milz44
    New Angler
    RE: Steel Force Broadheads 2010/07/15 12:19:43 (permalink)
    Ok, here is how it panned out:

The drop away rest solved about 75% of the problem.
    I then switched to the stiffer arrow and that solved the other 25%
    I still hear a little whisle when I am shooting from 50 to 60 yards, but I am happy with the shot placement.
    Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Steel Force Broadheads 2010/07/15 12:58:34 (permalink)
    Glad that your got the problem corrected. I most cases proper tuning(rest) and proper arrows (longer vanes) will do the trick. Have a safe trip and GOOD LUCK !!
    ORIGINAL: Milz44

Ok, here is how it panned out:

The drop away rest solved about 75% of the problem.
    I then switched to the stiffer arrow and that solved the other 25%
    I still hear a little whisle when I am shooting from 50 to 60 yards, but I am happy with the shot placement.
    Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: Steel Force Broadheads 2010/07/15 21:40:29 (permalink)
    I tried steelforce heads a few years ago and couldnt get em to fly either. That year i just went back to thunderheads which always flew like darts.

Trying Grim Reapers this year just for something different.
    Jump to: