lake fishing with baitrunner reel

Author
nightowl207
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 567
  • Reward points: 0
2007/10/14 21:55:21 (permalink)

lake fishing with baitrunner reel

i was talking to a fella from the CarpAnglersGroup who was at my local lake doing their last event. He was very knowledgable any showed me alot about the sport of carp fishing. the set up for carp fishing was quite intreging, the fox pod, alarms, and baitrunner reels. i was curious to see what others on this site would think about using this same setup for fishing the lake in erie offshore for them steelies. i think it would be quite convienient except for the fact that when the people come rushing in after sunup to fish the lake in their waders, theyll be invading the offland fishing. if everyone was respectful enough to give it some room it would be great, but theres probally a good chance in these waters it would cause controversy. i appreciate any responses.

17 Replies Related Threads

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8512
    RE: lake fishing with baitrunner reel 2007/10/14 22:25:02 (permalink)
    Are you for real?

nightowl207
    Expert Angler
    RE: lake fishing with baitrunner reel 2007/10/14 23:54:22 (permalink)
    im "for real" homedog.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: lake fishing with baitrunner reel 2007/10/15 00:22:15 (permalink)
    +

+

post edited by pghmarty - 2007/10/15 00:29:27
    nightowl207
    Expert Angler
    RE: lake fishing with baitrunner reel 2007/10/15 00:49:07 (permalink)
    have any reasons why its a bad idea??? Sorry im not a PRO like the rest of yuns. Im still a beginner to steel fishin, thought this site was for questions, news, stories, etc.
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: lake fishing with baitrunner reel 2007/10/15 04:23:45 (permalink)
    niteowl,

no problems at all.  plenty of guys do just that in lake michigan on the piers.

not a ton of PA guys fish baitrunners because they are somewhat specialized.  Most just fish their normal gear.  Baitrunners can be great for what they are designed for.  I think that would be a great day.  Go to trout run and go down the lake 50 yd, set up with a nice chair and a carp style rod holder.  Toss out some fresh skein on a bait runner and sit back.

thanks
    rick
    nut
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: lake fishing with baitrunner reel 2007/10/15 07:46:37 (permalink)
    i live in central PA, and i always use a baitrunner(penn 4000)for everything large. carp channels musky. i plan to take mine to erie this thursday. it sure beats laying yuor rod dowm for asec and a steelie decides to bite,bye bye rod,i've seen it happen before
    carpin05
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 830
    RE: lake fishing with baitrunner reel 2007/10/15 09:42:20 (permalink)
    You seen it??  I did it LOL in the pig pen a few yrs back....they are fast...
    nightowl207
    Expert Angler
    RE: lake fishing with baitrunner reel 2007/10/15 12:54:36 (permalink)
    thanks for EXPLAINED opinions guys. i though it wouldnt be a bad idea. i been looking at a couple baitrunner reels but dont know much of what to look for. i seen a couple nice shimano's but a lil expensive. i seen an okuma for 31.00 but it looked kinda cheapy. How do you like the Penn 4000 and what do they run $ ?
    mikelravy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 163
    RE: lake fishing with baitrunner reel 2007/10/15 13:41:56 (permalink)
    The definitive version imho is the Shimano Aero GT which is expensive.  The regular Shimano Baitrunner is quite durable and has a decent drag.  It has a poor line lay which somewhat limits casting distance.  The smallest size seems kind of big for steelheading. The Okuma Epixor is relatively inexpensive and comes in several sizes.  Mine was very smooth but I ruined the antireverse by getting line wrapped around in there.  I'm not sure this would not have ocurred with other brands though.  I've no experience with the Penn models but other Penn reels I've used were satisfactory.
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: lake fishing with baitrunner reel 2007/10/15 13:45:58 (permalink)
    When I worked in the shop in Jersey we sold a bunch to guys fishing the salt. The high end Shimano is the best one hands down. The Penn used to be nice but in the last 5 years they have been turning out cheaper stuff. The Okuma in the $50 price range was the smallest of the baitrunners we had (a 3000 size) and would have ben a great steelhead reel for the price.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: lake fishing with baitrunner reel 2007/10/15 14:05:38 (permalink)
    Penn 4000

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=Penn+4000&category0=

Penn SS reels are quality but you might want to avoid the graphite series.
    The rod holder would be ok-Fox pod is just a little unusual term
    The alarm is probably not needed-you will know when there is a steelhead on.
    I think bringing English carp fishing style to Erie might work but just do what others are doing probably works best.

nut
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: lake fishing with baitrunner reel 2007/10/15 16:02:08 (permalink)
    i bought mine at cabela's for about $74,and change. it's awell made reel, with a good drag system,and insant anti-reverse. as for the shimano i found one a few years back that had an electronic (lights and a beeper)baitrunner for $65. when i went to buy it , it was gone. the rod was taken at the mouth of elk a few years back, the guy's were next to us on the old island. imagine driving the whole way from lancaster only to have your fishing rod go, makes for an expensive day of fishing, or a miserable ride home.
    Split Shot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 891
    RE: lake fishing with baitrunner reel 2007/10/15 18:26:41 (permalink)
    If you try to fish from shore, you will have people walk into the lake right in front of you. a couple of years ago, My Dad, who is 84 yrs. old can't wade, so he took a chair down to Trout run. walked a little ways down the beach, and threw in. About 5 minutes later a couple of guys walked into the lake right in front of him.

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
    nightowl207
    Expert Angler
    RE: lake fishing with baitrunner reel 2007/10/15 22:56:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Split Shot

If you try to fish from shore, you will have people walk into the lake right in front of you. a couple of years ago, My Dad, who is 84 yrs. old can't wade, so he took a chair down to Trout run. walked a little ways down the beach, and threw in. About 5 minutes later a couple of guys walked into the lake right in front of him.

thats the one thing im worried about, but i usually fish the lake at night and there usually only a couple of people there that late. but in the morning i know im gonna have move out or fight for my spot. be best to just go fish the creeks in the morning cause thats just waiting for someone to start problems. the reason i liked the set up is cause i usually past out on slow days with my rod on my lap when it gets cold and im all snugged up with overalls n a coat. one of these times im gonna wake up to a rod n reel soaring 20yds through the air and on its way to canada. the reels ive been looking at on ebay are the Penn Captiva 5000, Shimano Baitrunner 4500 and Triton 3500, Okuma ABF-30 and Epixor series, Tica Sportera, and the Diawa SL4550BR. Anyone ever use or have one of these reels. thank again guys, appreciate the knowledge and opinions u give.
    post edited by nightowl207 - 2007/10/16 12:54:02
    pacarper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 463
    RE: lake fishing with baitrunner reel 2007/10/19 17:38:04 (permalink)
    Interesting topic.  As has been mentioned, as far as quality baitrunner spinning reels go, Shimano is tops with Diawa right up there.  Okuma is a notch down, but still good reels for the money.  I've had the UK style Shimano Aero GT baitrunner reel for years and it has held up well, but both drags are rear drags and front (main) drag reels are smoother. 

I recently got a standard Shimano 3500 BTR baitrunner as well as an Okuma Avenger ABF 30.  The BTR has about as smooth a drag as ya could want on a reel, but the line lay sucks (especially with braid line) compared to the Aero, but the BTRs are durable workhorses----the toughest you can buy.  The Shimano Thunnus is their higher quality baitrunner available here in the states and have heard nothing but mostly good things about them.
    The ABF 30 has held up well so far in the few months I've been using it and have landed numbers of hard-fighting carp on it-----I gotta helluva deal on this reel at $25, on markdown. It does not have as smooth a drag as the Shimanos tho. as it is a lower budget reel of course.  Same good deal on the the BTR 3500---$70----both reels new.

There are on-line tackle dealers here in the states now that carry some of the Euro/UK tackle, reels and rods, and rod pods, etc., etc.  Here are a few links:
    http://www.wackerbaits.com/
    http://www.bigcarptackle.com/store/home.php
    http://www.royalcarp.com/Scripts/default.asp
    https://www.resistancetackle.com/tackle/3/carp-fishing-tackle/
    http://www.scorpiontackle.com/

There are plenty of choices out there now and it takes some shopping around to decide what is for you.  WackerBaits and Big Carp Tackle have the best and biggest selection and offer excellent service (especially Wacker), as I've dealt with both. 
    Have fun spending your money and tell 'em pacarper sent ya if ya do.
    nightowl207
    Expert Angler
    RE: lake fishing with baitrunner reel 2007/10/19 20:41:46 (permalink)
    thanks steve.

W A R N I N G.......keep in mind these are only opinions. they may be dumb, smart, right, or wrong in your eyes.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9700
    RE: lake fishing with baitrunner reel 2007/10/20 10:35:41 (permalink)
    For what it's worth, I have a Cabela's saltstriker baitrunning reel.  I like it.  I use it for saltwater fishing and catfishing.  I have never used a different one, so nothing to compare it to.  But it works great, and is constructed to keep water out, which is nice for saltwater use.
    Jump to: