LockedLet's talk antlerless allocations

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/12 22:03:08 (permalink)
There ya go.. those are three that are usually as anti-PGC as you can get..

Although I have noticed Jeff has changed ALOT since his day at Pa. Sportsman..
and IMHO is doing whatever it takes to keep his job at PON since the owners are not from Pa and publish about 5 different states Outdoor News papers......

Heck they (Outdoor News)even shut down the orginal message board I was helping to build, because the owners did not like the fact info was showing up on the board before the paper got printed... its' about sales at PON... so much of what is printed caters more to the complainers than the supporters on issues ...
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/05/12 22:04:15
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/12 22:17:32 (permalink)
Rod Shoener who writes outdoors columns for a few southern Pa newspapers speaks out very strongly about the deer plan. He doesnt mince words either. He writes for Herald Standard and a few others.
post edited by wayne c - 2010/05/12 22:18:13
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/12 22:20:17 (permalink)
"so much of what is printed caters more to the complainers than the supporters on issues ... "

Of course the fact those who dont support the deer plan as is probably outnumber the supporters 10 to 1 has nothing to do with it. lol.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/12 22:24:57 (permalink)
Tried googling him ... but I only found fishing stories ???

I'll have to add that paper to my favorites
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/12 22:33:13 (permalink)
Shoener article

Just one of many of his deer plan nonsupport articles for last few years. Quite a few the last several months.
--------------------

Deer hunting this past season was a big disappoint for many.

Personally, it wasn't because I didn't kill a deer, it was the fact that I covered so much ground and a saw so few. Once the snow came, there weren't even many tracks to be found.

I've expressed my displeasure with the season before, and I've listened to complaints by many.

One local hunter, Ed Dice, took the time jot down his views.

Here is what Ed had to say: "The main topic is deer hunting and the management of it. The article a couple weeks ago about doe season and buck season as it is was right about counting points.

"I'm 66 years old and hunt both West Virginia and Pennsylvania. I haven't killed a deer in Pennsylvania since they started the new regulation of counting points. Each of the five years I have seen deer with racks above the ears, but couldn't get them to so I could count.

"I have killed many a deer before this when all you had to do was make sure they were 3 inches. I think a lot of hunters were happy with the rule by killing a spike, 4-point, 6-point or 8-point. There were still some big bucks killed each year 12, 14 and 16-pointers. Someone always found a big one.

"The point I'm getting to is that we should go back to the old way of buck season and three days of doe, or even one Saturday of doe so the ones working could get out.

"I also think we are killing off our sport by killing does for two weeks. We are playing right into the hands of the Forestry Department, the insurance companies and the Game Commission.

"I think if it continues the way it is, we will look back (not far away) and see how we have ruined the heritage of deer hunting in Pennsylvania.

"What I would like you to do is a survey to see how many hunters are dissatisfied with the way it is and want to go back to the way it was.

"When you talk to hunters who hunt West Virginia and Maryland, they will tell you how much they like the seasons. Talk to a Pennsylvania hunter and what you his is mostly disgust with the Game Commission.

"The way it is, a lot of older hunters are quitting hunting period."

Since Ed mentioned a survey, I'm going to ask hunters to send in their comments on the past deer season.

I'm asking that you keep your comments to a few sentences and in a tone that can be published.

As with any letter to the editor, we ask that you include your name and phone number, so we can verify that the letter came from you.

See Jim Slinsky's column on the left side of the page for more comments Pennsylvania deer management.

Send your comments to Rod Schoener, Herald-Standard, P.O. Box 848 Uniontown, Pa. 15401. You can also email me at rschoener@heraldstandard.com

Rod Schoener is the Herald-Standard Outdoor editor.

post edited by wayne c - 2010/05/12 22:34:39
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/12 23:19:24 (permalink)
not much there from Rod he's quoting some other guy ...... reads like a letter to the editor to me...

mainly a guy complaining about NOT shooting a buck since AR because he can not count points ... surely you can not blame that on the PGC ??????

maybe he needs new glasses

The guy is obviously wanting it the way it was when he was younger.... he and his buddies were HAPPY shooting the spikes and little ones... he is not a fan of AR.. that is not supported by most Pa deer hunters... and he probably was against the idea from day one when Alt presented it he likes shooting "scrubs"... and wants to go back to that..

I haven't even see a legal AR buck and I can count points, but you do not see me complaining... I don't hunt where the big ones are nor do I hunt the way I did 15 years ago...... maybe it's that way with the guy above.. it appears it was a letter to the editor.. not Rod's writings .

the local paper has those type letters to the editor often ... one certain guy has had about 5 published over the past few years... then the editor prints an opposing view from a supporter of the program and that puts it to bed for a couple months..

I'll keep checking the paper to see how Rod feels on issues ...

thanks for that though...
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/05/12 23:21:45
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/13 01:35:26 (permalink)

I suppose you missed the first few statements of the article??? RODS WORDS:

""Deer hunting this past season was a big disappoint for many.

Personally, it wasn't because I didn't kill a deer, it was the fact that I covered so much ground and a saw so few. Once the snow came, there weren't even many tracks to be found.

I've expressed my displeasure with the season before, and I've listened to complaints by many.
""

Gee, I wonder how he feels? Does my high lighting help you at all Doc? If i didnt read his column every week, and reading the sentiment with fair regularity, I certainly wouldnt have any idea bey reading the above! lmao.

Youre a funny guy Doc.

post edited by wayne c - 2010/05/13 01:47:41
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/13 01:50:28 (permalink)
Maybe this one will give you a little clearer insight.
--------------------

"Two years ago the Game Commission created a split rifle season in four WMUs to "determine the impact and effectiveness of a five-day antlered/seven-day concurrent season."

Initially it was announced that no WMUs would be added to the program for four years, but at last week's meeting four more WMUs were added for next year, including WMU 2C, which includes all parts of Fayette, Westmoreland and Indiana Counties that lie east of Route 119, all of Somerset County and parts of Cambria and Bedford Counties.

The move is a start in the right direction and probably as much as we will ever receive as far as reducing the length of the antlerless deer season.

At least it is a start. As with the past two split seasons, there will be a five-day antlered deer season from Nov. 29 through Dec. 3 and a seven-day concurrent season Dec. 4-11.

Seven days of antlerless deer season is a good start after years of 12 days of open season reduced the deer population in many areas to the point where hunters are frustrated after hunting days on end without seeing a legal buck and in many cases a single deer.

Hopefully the move will stabilize and stimulate deer populations that were allowed to decrease to numbers so low that the species and the sport of hunting both suffered as many senior hunters just threw in the towel out of frustration.

I applaud this latest move by the Game Commission. Hopefully, it will allow the population to increase to the to a point, where "antler restrictions" aren't considered dirty words by the majority of local deer hunters.

Whether you favor antler restrictions or not, it takes baby deer to grow into big deer to keep it going. We can't continue to kill off the majority of the fawn-carrying deer each and every year.

After a while there will be a point of no return, where turning back will no longer be possible.

In addition to WMU 2C, WMUs 2E, 4D and 4E were added to the split season list for next year.

Antlerless deer license allocations for the 2010-11 seasons will be released in March after data from the 2009-10 seasons has been compiled and studied.

The changes to the split season WMUs are being studied by Game Commission biologists and the Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit at Penn State University to learn more about the relationship between antlerless allocations and season length.

Hunter satisfaction will also be assessed.

All we can do is wait and hope."

Geei wonder if he means we can wait and hope for a raise in our allocations? lol.
post edited by wayne c - 2010/05/13 01:52:31
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/13 01:57:28 (permalink)
statement from another shoener article:

"For the 2008-09 deer seasons, the Board approved a change in the firearms deer season in WMUs 2D, 2G, 3C, and 4B. The change made antlered deer legal for the first five days of the two-week firearms deer season, followed by seven days of antlered and antlerless deer hunting. Previously, these four WMUs had a two-week concurrent firearms season for antlered and antlerless deer season. In passing this change in seasons, the Board directed staff to develop a four-year study for these WMUs. The study will seek to answer several questions, including: will hunters see more deer; and will the shorter antlerless season allow deer population objectives to be met? By time the study is completed, deer may be an endangered species in Pennsylvania."

lmao. Now theres the words of a true proponent of the Alt master plan!
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/13 07:49:52 (permalink)
See Jim Slinsky's column on the left side of the page for more comments Pennsylvania deer management.

Welp, there goes the neighborhood.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/13 07:50:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: wayne c

By time the study is completed, deer may be an endangered species in Pennsylvania."

lmao. Now theres the words of a true proponent of the Alt master plan!

Does anything else need to be said when you start promoting such ?

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/13 09:27:09 (permalink)
Interesting, you are the one that posted..

I agree,but I was hoping I could find one honest out door writer that cared enough about the future of hunting and the PGC to tell the truth about the current DMP ,but I have to admit that I was wrong.

I suggested looking because there are some out there ..

NOW you admit to reading and believing the thoughts of an editor that publishes Slinsky's thougths.. that says alot in my book ... "birds of a feather" ... comes to mind..

so I fell for the bait thinking your remark about looking for an anti- PGC writer was sincerely when in reality it was to promote another Slinsky type writer... that you follow

when will I learn to ignore this bull.... ????????
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/05/13 09:30:28
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/13 11:13:54 (permalink)
Kype, you can try and discredit the guy all you like, i couldnt care less. My point...ONLY point was that he was a writer and also a deer plan nonsupporter. Deerfly asked about them. So i replied. Wouldve ended right there, had Doc basically not tried to deny the obvious and require more proof by acting as if he couldnt tell the guys opinion.

As for Slinsky, he writes articles occassionally for alot of papers as i understand it. Are all the outdoor writers across that state who also appear in the same paper as Slinsky at one time or another "bad"? lmao. Ok whatever. But for your info, He has no "regular" column in the paper mentioned, but did have one that day and perhaps once every few months or so. They usually dont even appear in the outdoors section. Often its in the editorial.

Dont know why you "conservationists" are flippin your wigs. Im not using this guy as "backing" of my position. Pgc has made it easy and their data has already done that for me....Dont need any writer, good or bad thanks.[:D]

Dr. Youre getting as bad as kype insulting when proven wrong. I like the lies tossed in for good measure as well. You know i wasnt promoting anyone. You forced me into posting his works by denying the obvious from the first. I also dont"follow" this guy any more than i do any other writers. I read any and all outdoor related materials i can get my hands on. He happens to write for a newspaper. Nothing more nothing less. I dont agree with everything he says, though alot of what he says is right on. Or at least more accurate than the damage control that comes out of Elmerton Ave. lol

For the record I also regularly read articles from Moyer, Nale, Frye, and others who are notorious pgc supporters and are often said to have their heads buried up pgcs wazoo! lol. Does that make me an enviro extremist?

post edited by wayne c - 2010/05/13 11:52:08
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/13 11:29:06 (permalink)
"Interesting, you are the one that posted..

quote:

I agree,but I was hoping I could find one honest out door writer that cared enough about the future of hunting and the PGC to tell the truth about the current DMP ,but I have to admit that I was wrong."

I think you forgot your meds today. DEERFLY posted that. My god man, do i need to correct you on every single word you say? Every single statement you type is either completely inaccurate or a bold faced lie. Not sure which, but guessing a healthy dose of both. Dont mean to be a wise-arse here, but youve reverted to lying, totally misrepresenting my positions, and other intentionally twisting things up because of the clear lack of factual support... and basically just acting exactly like an audubon extremist would towards a hunter when making their feelings known in print.
post edited by wayne c - 2010/05/13 11:41:57
SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/13 11:54:35 (permalink)

Dr. Youre getting as bad as kype insulting when proven wrong.

Nothing to do with being proven right or wrong... fact is, your opinions aren't facts and hold as much value as my opinions.

I'd say deerfly has some factual info... you're just an emotional mess.

SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/13 11:57:33 (permalink)

Dont know why you "conservationists" are flippin your wigs. [:D]

Oh my goodness, you made fun of me. oh the horror !

wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/13 12:27:37 (permalink)
"fact is, your opinions aren't facts and hold as much value as my opinions."

I agree to a point. Though my opinions may be a bit more "educated" to the topic at hand, they are still opinions. However not everything discussed is always "opinion based".

"I'd say deerfly has some factual info... you're just an emotional mess."

Lmao. Now that right there is funny. Now just where have i seen that occur before?lol. You need to get your own material. Although i wasnt joking, i was legitimately pointing out your meltdowns on the other thread. I'll agree about deerfly. Hes very educated, as am i, on these topics. But of course im sure despite the little petty insults... you knew that.
post edited by wayne c - 2010/05/13 12:31:13
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/13 12:33:08 (permalink)
"Oh my goodness, you made fun of me. oh the horror !"

Not at all. Most supporters of pgc deer plan like to consider themselves "conservationist" minded individuals. If you think that a derogatory term, then sorry to cause you grief.
SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/13 12:35:14 (permalink)

"fact is, your opinions aren't facts and hold as much value as my opinions."

I agree to a point. Though my opinions may be a bit more "educated" to the topic at hand, they are still opinions. However not everything discussed is always "opinion based".

"I'd say deerfly has some factual info... you're just an emotional mess."

Lmao. Now that right there is funny. Now just where have i seen that occur before?lol. You need to get your own material. Although i wasnt joking, i was legitimately pointing out your meltdowns on the other thread. I'll agree about deerfly. Hes very educated, as am i, on these topics. But of course im sure despite the little petty insults... you knew that.

Yer educated alright. Educated in thinking opinions are factual.

SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/13 12:36:44 (permalink)

"Oh my goodness, you made fun of me. oh the horror !"

Not at all. Most supporters of pgc deer plan like to consider themselves "conservationist" minded individuals. If you think that a derogatory term, then sorry to cause you grief.

You said flippin' yer wigs. Good communication slicing skills you got.

'Bout it.

wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/13 12:43:08 (permalink)
Apparently they are better than your sense of humor.
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/13 12:44:36 (permalink)
"Yer educated alright. Educated in thinking opinions are factual."

Yeah. And i also think dogs are cats, and mice are birds and trees are rainbows.

Lmao, the last word is yours. Gotta try to get some work done. Cant sit around a website all day, even if i were to give myself a catchy name like "the dog". lol.[
8|]
post edited by wayne c - 2010/05/13 12:47:06
SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/13 12:46:18 (permalink)
My mommy could beat up your mommy ! (I'm making fun of you again, if you don't get it).

What is it that Shawn says what the definition of insanity is ?

SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/13 12:48:04 (permalink)

"Yer educated alright. Educated in thinking opinions are factual."

Yeah. And i also think dogs are cats, and mice are birds and trees are rainbows.

Lmao, the last word is yours. Gotta try to get some work done. Cant sit around a website all day, even if i were to give myself a catchy name like "the dog". lol.[
8|]

Nothing to do with the last word. It'd be nice if you'd lighten up a bit, Francis.

wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/13 12:49:30 (permalink)
"What is it that Shawn says what the definition of insanity is ?"

Im not sure, but 3 grown adults running a website and referring to themselves at "thedog" "thecrow" and "theskunk" might apply.

and yes that was "lightening up" lol

Btw, i need to lighten up? Whose the one thats been having temper tantrums? hasnt been me! lmao.
post edited by wayne c - 2010/05/13 12:52:59
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: