2G. 2009 antlerless licenses, 26000. 2010 Antlerless licenses, 15210
2F. 2009- 28000. 2010- 22148

now the question: Are we happy now?

54 Replies Related Threads

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    • Reward points: 0
    RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/12 04:40:05 (permalink)
    YEP--lowering the allocations for awhile is the only way the deer herd will ever recover. More hunters after a ever decreasing deer herd doesn't make for an enjoyable hunt. May as well leave the gun at home and just go bird watching like the anti hunters want us to do.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/12 04:50:55 (permalink)
    These were the good old days of hunting you guys always talk about us having.

In 1983, the Game Commission allocated a record 536,650 antlerless licenses to curb herd growth; only 519,000 were sold. Over the next four years the Commission continued to increase the annual license allo­cation. But license sales seemed to reach a satura­tion point between 500,000 and 550,000; hunters – limited then to buying only one antlerless license annually – couldn’t legally buy more. It became neces­sary to modify the alloca­tion program.

In 1984, 1986 and 1987, hunters shot record numbers of bucks; the annual antlered harvest increased by 24 percent during this period. The rising buck harvest indicated the herd was still growing, even though the agency was allocat­ing more antlerless licenses and hunters were taking more deer. The agency's inability to sell the entire annual antlerless license allocations was impeding efforts to reduce the herd.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/12 11:45:41 (permalink)
    Very happy!!!!! Estatic in fact. Now we need to see if the BOC has the fortitude to keep the allocation low. Or if it is a ploy to get an increase. Personally I would support a license increase regardless, as I do not want wildlife management in the hands of any other agency.

I am a 2F hunter myself and it is a shame that my daughter had to learn to hunt in a Pennsylvania where an area with that much woodland had so few deer. I speak of course of the particular area where I hunt. Kane to bradford, west to kinzua and east to 219. As for other areas of 2F I can not comment.

I was glad to hear at least one of the BOC admit that a few (2 or 3 that he spoke of) of the WMU's will be divided in half [roughly] and not this year as there are ongoing studies in these wmu's. I don't want to go back to county management, but some wmu's do present management challenges. However there are still some striking differences in climate and topography/terrain/landuse within some wmu's.

I think the BOC is now at least trying to balance the biology and the concerns of the sportsmen, which in my book is thier only job.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/12 12:26:52 (permalink)
    For legislators to give a fee increase now would be completely idiotic.

Be kinda like catching a crook that just stole your wallet with $500 in it. Youre holding him down and he hands you a dollar of your money back and you let him up and turn your back....because hes proven he can be trusted and he'll surely give you the rest, and also do the right thing from now on. lmao.

The only reason these things are being done is because of fee increase. Period. Why on earth would we wanna stop now, when we are on the verge of possibly forcing long lasting responsible change? That'd be pure lunacy! And even if i were wrong, why risk it when there is nothing to lose and alot to gain by holding out? There is a helluva lot to lose if i am correct as i believe i am. Another decade mirroring the last if not worse.

Why do you think most of the allocations were around 1000 tag or less changes...which equates to less than 1 dpsm change? lmao. Thats 100% meaningless and done just for show. When they wanted real changes in these wmus, they made real changes to the allocations (but not now). Just look at each wmus allocation history.

There is also alot more than 2G to this state. Why arent there wide scale proposals for smaller units? All smaller units will do for 2G alone is make it harder to compare harvests etc. so hunters wont whine as much, and make allocation totals less comparable. It also just a token that they can point to and say "see, look, change!"

Why are this "changes" so small in scale? Because if fee increase is granted, they'll have very little damage done to "staying the course" and any of the changes like allocation tweaks would be easily reversible. Larger allocation drops such as in 2G will have a much smaller effect than other wmus because there are so few deer to begin with. 10 dpsm arent gonna breed like rabbits in one year regardless of the allocation.

And no, there is no imminent danger of big bad dcnr taking over from the "good guys" (Lmao) at pgc, if pgc doesnt get their fee increase this year.
    post edited by wayne c - 2010/05/12 12:40:16
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/12 13:13:48 (permalink)
    Now that allocations are lower than previous years before, and seasons are shorter, doe harvest will drop. Somehow, someway, the folks that want more deer will spin it into "doe harvest lowest in a decade." So to answer the question -- will they be happy ? The answer is no. <surprise>

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/12 13:53:39 (permalink)
    Not I. You will never hear a complaint about a low doe harvest from me. You will hear complaints about low herd numbers, and those two statistics are tied to allocatons. Lower allocatons is a good thing for hunters.

In response to wayne, I think what you are seeing is an honest change in the BOC, however as with anything they are making the changes a bit at a time.

I would have given them an increase prior to this even though I did not agree with the current deer management situation. We do not want anyone else in control.

I am looking at the changes for 2F and with the reduction plus the allocation of DMAP out of that allocaton number I think it is a significant reduction and should help some over time if they stick with it.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/12 13:56:08 (permalink)
    Kype, it would be very nice to have a decline in the doe harvest due to fewer doe tags not causing harvest to exceed recruitment, but to allow growth.

Unfortunately with all the cuts in most wmus so insignificant, that wont be the case at all for most.

So why on earth SHOULD they be happy about it when nothing at all in many areas has changed??

And for the very few areas where it has, why beleive its anything mroe than pandering for a fee increase?

Btw, in case you didnt know, the BUCK harvest will tell the tale...Thats whats used to see deer population "trends" and rightfully so. Its not effected by variations in antlerless allocations from year to year except those gained or lost from recruitment which means lower or higher herd.

So if our buck harvest remains in the 108-125k cellar for the next 3-4 years or worsens, it can rightfully be assumed we are staying the course. You see, despite your little quips and insinuations, we hunters arent all "uneducated louts"...or intellectual liars that like to twist things like pgc does. Some of us know exactly whats going on and want nothing more than responsible management direction in our deer management program.
    post edited by wayne c - 2010/05/12 14:13:33
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/12 14:01:22 (permalink)
    "In response to wayne, I think what you are seeing is an honest change in the BOC, however as with anything they are making the changes a bit at a time. "

I strongly disagree. But i do honestly hope you are right. But im not letting my guard down just yet. Entirely too much is at stake.

"I would have given them an increase prior to this even though I did not agree with the current deer management situation."

Wouldve been the worst mistake legislators ever made in regard to deer mangement in Pa. I firmly beleive that. And ive seen nothing to show that Im being overly pessimistic. I also think you should look at the pgc finances on the annual report. They arent going to be operating out of a cardboard box just yet with around 40 mil. still in reserve fund, as well as gas funds multiplying by the year.

" We do not want anyone else in control"

Why not a more hunter friendly re-structured pgc?? Maybe youd prefer carl, dubrock, Rosenberry and the rest of the good ol' boys instead? lol..... But even if we end up stuck with these guys, we can insure that the direction has definately been changed. And thats not quite yet the case.

"I am looking at the changes for 2F and with the reduction plus the allocation of DMAP out of that allocaton number I think it is a significant reduction and should help some over time if they stick with it."

I agree that some of those very few units will eventually see slight growth IF and ONLY IF they stick to it. Id honestly be willing to bet alot of money that they will not. Ive followed these dealings for quite some time and from what Im seeing I sure hope most arent fooled by these latest manuevers..

Remember the meaningless change in the season lengths in the original 4 wmus? WAs made for the same reason. They thought that just might be enough for the fee increase. Well it wasnt.... So this is plan b. And at this rate, im perfectly content to wait for plan e, f, g and h...
    post edited by wayne c - 2010/05/12 14:18:23
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/12 15:00:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: wayne c

Some of us know exactly whats going on and want nothing more than responsible management direction in our deer management program.

What is responsible management ? Manage lots of deer for hunters ?

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/12 15:16:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: MuskyMastr

Not I. You will never hear a complaint about a low doe harvest from me. You will hear complaints about low herd numbers, and those two statistics are tied to allocatons. Lower allocatons is a good thing for hunters.

Good. I hope you stick to your guns.

Lower allocations may be a good thing, but the drama queens will find a way to promote the negative side of it.

"I couldn't get a tag for 2G" << that sounds familiar ?

It's already happening....

S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/12 15:31:22 (permalink)
    Just from guys like Doc.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/12 15:58:26 (permalink)
    With about a 40% reduction in tags available, I'd expect you'll hear a lot of that. Despite Waynes assertations, I think the reduction in tags for 2F and 2G are significant. I do agree that these changes are merely pandering for a fee increase. Why else would the board go completely against the recommendations of their own biologists? What remains to be seen is if, once they get the fee increase, they'll go right back to what they were doing.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/12 16:09:01 (permalink)
    Kype, Hunters should most definately be a consideration. Seeing as many areas dont have and didnt have previously even, a problem with the habitat or herd health as shown in the annual reports data...And seeing as many of the wmus initially (back in earliest stages of our program with many more deer) were rated as low or moderate human conflict by pgc even with more deer than we have now....In those areas, Id say...yes. Hunter consideration should then be given... Not simply look for more excuses not to have more deer.
    post edited by wayne c - 2010/05/12 16:14:16
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/12 16:14:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: wayne c

Hunters should most definately be a consideration. Seeing as many areas dont have and didnt have previously even, a problem with the habitat or herd health as shown in the annual reports data...And seeing as many of the wmus initially (back in earliest stages of our program with many more deer) were rated as low or moderate human conflict by pgc even with more deer than we have now....In those areas, Id say...yes. Hunter consideration should then be given... Not simply look for more excuses not to have more deer.

Is this a different wayne ? We agree again. Hunters should be a major consideration. The way some of you talk sometimes, sounds like hunters should be the ONLY consideration. You know... "hunters foot the bill" stuff.

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/12 16:15:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DanesDad

With about a 40% reduction in tags available, I'd expect you'll hear a lot of that. Despite Waynes assertations, I think the reduction in tags for 2F and 2G are significant. I do agree that these changes are merely pandering for a fee increase. Why else would the board go completely against the recommendations of their own biologists? What remains to be seen is if, once they get the fee increase, they'll go right back to what they were doing.

My home WMU got the greatest reduction. I'm okay with one doe tag. I usualy get 4 a year but never fill more than two. and that is by design. I know a few guys that won't be okay with it.

...but want more deer. But fill 5-7 tags a year. Crazy folks.

S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/12 16:23:52 (permalink)
    Carl Roe- in his testimony to the joint Budget and Finance Committee stated that QUOTE: (The role of the PGC is to maximum game for hunters and trappers) End Quote.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/12 16:32:38 (permalink)
    I'm not going to go dig it.. show me.

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/12 17:06:27 (permalink)
    The role of the PGC is to maximum game for hunters and trappers

I want to see that too...

I think S-10 left out some very important words in that quote...

but we shall see if he can produce the direct quote as he wrote it....
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/12 17:09:36 (permalink)
    You should be able to find it, it's on your site.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/12 17:11:32 (permalink)
    Carl Roe, Executive Director of the PA Game Commission, stated that PGC "manages habitat and not forests." Roe emphasized that the role of the PGC is to maximize game for hunters and trappers and they take a "different approach" towards conservation. Roe revealed that instances occur where certain trees are not harvested, even though they are primed to yield lumber, because they provide a habitat for wildlife. Roe stated that revenue is a "byproduct" and the PGC approach differs from DCNR. Roe mentioned that the PGC would "love to have revenue" from the OGM resources but is many cases they do not know who owns the mining rights.

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/12 17:32:05 (permalink)
    Ah, I remember that'n. Twas in reply to the not so favorable budget & finance committees audit. lol.

They become pretty "game/hunter" oriented when its convenient dont they? In word anyway if not actions.

....Yeah...if there's one thing we sportsmen can count on, it that good 'ol uncle carl & the game commission will always seek to maximize our game animal populations for us. lmao.

Kype says: "You know... "hunters foot the bill" stuff."

I dont see that as something that shouldnt be brought up. Its just one more reason we shouldnt be ignored. 1. we are part of society and another stakeholder and are effected in good ways by the deer via our recreational pursuit, but we are ALSO drivers, farmers, timbermen, landscapers, homeowners and wear "other hats" and are effected by deer in not so good ways as well. 2. we perform a service. 3. we pay the bills.

To say we should have absolutely no more say than someone who couldnt care less and are GIVEN a position on these matters by pgc...like the 90%... Or we should be ignored completely in favor of enviro extremists, timber and other interests isnt reasonable.

post edited by wayne c - 2010/05/12 18:06:29
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/12 18:09:40 (permalink)
    Old Gary Alt also has a few of those quotes recorded out there that come back to haunt his supporters whenever I bring them up. A lot of those early press releases and other interesting information from the early days of AR/HR was dropped when the PGC redid their website. Of course I wouldn't dream of accusing them of a underhanded reason for dropping all the history. It just happens I saved a bit of the old information.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/12 18:21:13 (permalink)
    I guess you dont get bit in the rear because of the fall-out from known to be false predictions and unkept promises about Pa deer management from all the way across the country.

Didnt take 'em long to skedaddle out to California did it? lol..

My favorite Alt moments were the one about "more and bigger bucks", holding those big antlers, and another...after being a wildlife biologist & living here for many years....one day he was finally after all that time enlightened....and looking at the conditions of thousands and thousands of acreas of forest, it "drove him to his knees"... lmao.
    post edited by wayne c - 2010/05/12 18:27:18
    deerfly
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1271
    RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/12 18:27:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: S-10

Old Gary Alt also has a few of those quotes recorded out there that come back to haunt his supporters whenever I bring them up. A lot of those early press releases and other interesting information from the early days of AR/HR was dropped when the PGC redid their website. Of course I wouldn't dream of accusing them of a underhanded reason for dropping all the history. It just happens I saved a bit of the old information.

Congratulations on being a member of a small group of hunters that know the history of deer management in PA and remember the bogus claims Alt made while selling the current DMP. Unfortunately the vast majority of outdoor writers blindly support the PGC and refuse to print anything that is critical of the PGC DMP. I personally provided info to several writers that proved the plan has failed to produce the predicted results but they still repeat the PGC propaganda.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/12 18:33:18 (permalink)
    You have to remember that those writers and guys like Doc depend on the PGC and DCNR to feed them information for their articles and websites. If they bite the hand that feeds them they will have to work a lot harder to get something to write about. It isn't right but it's the way it is.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/12 18:57:18 (permalink)
    Carl Roe, Executive Director of the PA Game Commission, stated that PGC "manages habitat and not forests." Roe emphasized that the role of the PGC is to maximize game for hunters and trappers and they take a "different approach" towards conservation

and any writer and even Dr Trout knows that when you write what a person says if you write it exactly as he said it you have to use quotes around the statement.. without the quotes it is what the writer took the remarks as meaning... not the exact words that were said...

notice how the writer of the article S-10 always uses quotes some parts of what Carl said but not everything..
    stated that PGC "manages habitat and not forests."

AND this part
    "different approach"

but not the part about maxmizing game ...

INTERESTING...

but some of us know the truth... we read the transcipt of the meeting and found that he did not say maximize game......
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/05/12 18:59:53
    deerfly
    Pro Angler
    RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/12 18:57:40 (permalink)
    I agree,but I was hoping I could find one honest out door writer that cared enough about the future of hunting and the PGC to tell the truth about the current DMP ,but I have to admit that I was wrong.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/12 19:02:06 (permalink)
    There are several outdoor writers that would join you in your dis-like of the PGC in general and especially the deer plan.. look around you will find them... #1 they are not on message board !!!

check various newspaper web site.. you'll find them that way... just check out the paper's outdoor section...
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/05/12 19:03:08
    deerfly
    Pro Angler
    RE: Let's talk antlerless allocations 2010/05/12 20:43:04 (permalink)
    Slinsky and John Street will challenge the PGC position ,but Slinsky has little credibility due to his extreme views and Streets email address was invalid and i didn't get a response from Jeff Mulhollen of PONs.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: