Lower Back Pain While Fishing

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
steelhound
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 453
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Lower Back Pain While Fishing 2010/04/12 19:53:29 (permalink)
I've always found that after a long day of fishin and havin a sore back the best thing for it is my special ortopiedic stool at the golden bear
Loopy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1437
RE: Lower Back Pain While Fishing 2010/04/12 22:16:10 (permalink)
Face it dude,  you are getting older.

<---  The Holy Trinity
rookie5781
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 941
RE: Lower Back Pain While Fishing 2010/04/12 22:37:11 (permalink)
I see the chiropractor on a regular basis as well,

If you mean you see them on a daily basis or even 3 times a week that's your problem. Used to see the chiropractor pretty regular, and I had more problems then it was worth. I would say cut down your back cracking to once per week, to maybe 1 - 2 times every two weeks. IMHO.
DaFuNK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1992
RE: Lower Back Pain While Fishing 2010/04/12 23:26:14 (permalink)
best way to fight back pain is to get into the gym 3 times a week...

better than any witch doctor..

"In the beginning of change, the patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot"

UPDATED Antidote!
http://antidoteusa.weebly.com
pxatim
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4786
RE: Lower Back Pain While Fishing 2010/04/12 23:33:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rookie5781

If you mean you see them on a daily basis or even 3 times a week that's your problem. Used to see the chiropractor pretty regular, and I had more problems then it was worth. I would say cut down your back cracking to once per week, to maybe 1 - 2 times every two weeks. IMHO.

No way... chiropractors are God's gift to man
jimhalupka
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1058
RE: Lower Back Pain While Fishing 2010/04/13 01:09:59 (permalink)
sounds tough man...

my back goes every so often... fix it by sleeping on the floor at night, on my back. 

Best stretch for lower back is getting in sit up position and flexing ab and lower back muscles while sucking in your stomach at the same time.  Works wonders. 

"Sure, we can assiduously three-quarter our wets downstream, mend and wait out each fly swing, over and over again, which to my way of thinking, anyway, relegates the angler to the role, not of nemesis as it should be, but of butler."

-Art Lee
cbeagler
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1811
RE: Lower Back Pain While Fishing 2010/04/13 02:21:28 (permalink)
Well, I'll throw in here also. I too am actually pretty flexible from kenpo karate. But I took a hard fall about two years ago, landed on the hip and have had trouble since (but I did win the match). Several things have helped. One, I have a good chiropractor. Two, I wear orthotics in my shoes with an additional wedge in the left one. Three, keep your core strong. But when I am standing for a while I try to stand with one foot forward of the other as though taking a short step. this reduces the load on the lower back, learned that weight lifting. It seems to help.

Also, speaking of belts. The kind they wear at the Home Depot and really just designed to keep you from lifting with your back. As was noted before, you really can't bend over while wearing one. They are not so much for support as they are for making you lift with your legs. My chiropractor gave (sold) me a back belt that is worn around the hips and aligns the back and pelvis--that has worked incredibly! It is not much wider than a regular belt.
cbeagler
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1811
RE: Lower Back Pain While Fishing 2010/04/13 02:25:52 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: jimhalupka

sounds tough man...

my back goes every so often... fix it by sleeping on the floor at night, on my back. 

Best stretch for lower back is getting in sit up position and flexing ab and lower back muscles while sucking in your stomach at the same time.  Works wonders. 

Another is to lie flat on your back, pull your right knee up to you chest and try to point it at your left shoulder, then do the opposite knee trying to point it at the right shoulder. That stretches one of the glute muscles that aligns the pelvis. If it is tight, it is a strong enough muscle to really put the back out of whack.
rookie5781
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 941
RE: Lower Back Pain While Fishing 2010/04/13 07:29:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pxatim

ORIGINAL: rookie5781

No way... chiropractors are God's gift to man

I am not saying I am against them, but when you go to often,they do more harm then good. Just sayin'
RhnstnCowboy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2583
RE: Lower Back Pain While Fishing 2010/04/13 08:09:01 (permalink)
Another thing I just remembered. The doctor told me that over-developed hip flexors and weaker abdominals can make your lower back and sciatic pain much worse. I have noticed that at the end of a long day of wading, my hip flexors have gotten a major workout. Just think about wading upstream against strong current. If you wade alot, chances are that your hip flexors look like Lee Haney's pecs. The doctor told me the way around this is to strengthen your abs.

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
- T. Fleming
Loomis
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2674
RE: Lower Back Pain While Fishing 2010/04/13 09:24:37 (permalink)
Rhinestone, I think that is what my problem is.  I am in the gym 5 nights a week, see the chiro at least 2 days a week, without it I wouldn't be able to get out of bed.  Obviously wrestling for so many years you use your hips a ton, and I do plyos and tons of core exercises, so it could be over training that is giving me the problems and more importantly maybe causing an imbalance on my pelvis of some sort.  Ironically enough, after I do judo, which involves getting thrown with force, my back and hips feel GREAT....its when im Idle for an excessive period that they really hurt...I think im gonna quit the dead lifting and squatting heavy for awhile to see if that helps...I just never thought that that static stress of fishing would make me feel as bad as I did, there was about 4 occasions where I just wanted to sit on the bank or go home, and that never happens.  After all the times my body has been so beat up, I never thought fishing would do it to me as bad as the other sports I have done....

And Loopy, I may be getting old, but 25 is way too young to be having back pain that prevents me from fishing, especially when guys that are 20 years my senior are still fishing, I can't let it die ;)
post edited by Loomis - 2010/04/13 09:25:36
jimhalupka
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1058
RE: Lower Back Pain While Fishing 2010/04/13 09:36:51 (permalink)
you've been winking to us guys in your posts a lot lately.  Getting a little worried.  Has cold gotten a hold of you?

"Sure, we can assiduously three-quarter our wets downstream, mend and wait out each fly swing, over and over again, which to my way of thinking, anyway, relegates the angler to the role, not of nemesis as it should be, but of butler."

-Art Lee
bulldog1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5203
RE: Lower Back Pain While Fishing 2010/04/13 10:15:29 (permalink)
Try sitting on the edge of your bed, lie back, lift both legs up to 90 degrees and slowly let them down.... did you get a "clunk" on the way back down? I chased my problem with the chiropractor before getting all the x-rays and mri's. While in therapy my therapist narrowed the problem to that part of the lower back. Rather than rotating, my joint was sliding back and forth, only answer (other than surgery) was to strengthen the core muscles to hold the joint in place. We're all getting older, as much as I hate to admit it, but it's better than the alternative.
pxatim
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4786
RE: Lower Back Pain While Fishing 2010/04/13 10:15:35 (permalink)
That's the real reason his back hurts...
doubletaper
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3977
RE: Lower Back Pain While Fishing 2010/04/13 10:26:56 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: bulldog1

Try sitting on the edge of your bed, lie back, lift both legs up to 90 degrees

hey bull, sounds kinda kinky to me

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
it's not luck
if success is consistent 

mossy oak
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 883
RE: Lower Back Pain While Fishing 2010/04/13 11:28:12 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Loomis

Rhinestone, I think that is what my problem is.  I am in the gym 5 nights a week, see the chiro at least 2 days a week, without it I wouldn't be able to get out of bed.  Obviously wrestling for so many years you use your hips a ton, and I do plyos and tons of core exercises, so it could be over training that is giving me the problems and more importantly maybe causing an imbalance on my pelvis of some sort.  Ironically enough, after I do judo, which involves getting thrown with force, my back and hips feel GREAT....its when im Idle for an excessive period that they really hurt...I think im gonna quit the dead lifting and squatting heavy for awhile to see if that helps...I just never thought that that static stress of fishing would make me feel as bad as I did, there was about 4 occasions where I just wanted to sit on the bank or go home, and that never happens.  After all the times my body has been so beat up, I never thought fishing would do it to me as bad as the other sports I have done....

And Loopy, I may be getting old, but 25 is way too young to be having back pain that prevents me from fishing, especially when guys that are 20 years my senior are still fishing, I can't let it die ;)

Duud,

Squats and deadlifts are HORRIBLE for your hips.  Tighten up you hip flexors like crazy.  That could be the problem.  Also, understand Im not accusing, but good form is hard to get and attain.  That little "tweak" on the last rep can be the worst thing you do.
Just sayin...

MO

so save your breath I could not hear, I think I made it very clear...

marliezx7
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 92
RE: Lower Back Pain While Fishing 2010/04/13 11:51:51 (permalink)
I have back pain myself, and I use a few things/techniques to help with it while i'm fishing or anytime I deal with the pain. I am in school to be a nurse also, and I know a little bit about the anatomy & physiology of the body.

1. Stretch before you go; 1st basic stretch is to pull ur knees to your chest for appx 15 secs. Do a few reps of these. (strengthening the stomach muscles up over time also helps in the long run) There are a few other stretches, but that is the basic and most productive one. PM me if you want more stretch exercises.
2. Heat pads; the heat lets the muscles relax, thus circulating more blood in the surrounding areas.
3. Belts; support, enough said!
4. Pain meds (oral); I use a prescribed meds.(vicodan) because I have moderate/severe back pain, but for minor/moderate pain, any otc pain med will help. Whatever works best for you; Tylenol ES, etc.
5. Pain meds (topical); ben g a y(lol, it wouldn't let me write the letters together), icy hot are nice temp. relief.
6. Mobility; move around, try not to stay in the same weight bearing position for long periods. Flex them muscles, put em to use. I try to stretch more if I feel pain coming on. If I can, i'll lay down for several minutes to rest my back to give it a break.

Hope these help! Good luck.
RhnstnCowboy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2583
RE: Lower Back Pain While Fishing 2010/04/13 12:07:49 (permalink)
Pain meds (oral); I use a prescribed meds.(vicodan) because I have moderate/severe back pain,

Not a good idea at all. If you have to take opiates for anything more than recovery after surgery, something is wrong. Fix or alleviate the underlying problem, don't mask it by taking highly-addictive and dangerous opiates. Every junkie originally had some "back problem" that caused him to start taking pills. Not a good idea.

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
- T. Fleming
D-nymph
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6701
RE: Lower Back Pain While Fishing 2010/04/13 12:19:45 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: RhnstnCowboy
 Every junkie originally had some "back problem" that caused him to start taking pills. Not a good idea.

Hey, some of us junkies had addictions before back problems!  Just sayin'.

DaFuNK
Pro Angler
RE: Lower Back Pain While Fishing 2010/04/13 13:51:00 (permalink)
exercise = best medicine

"In the beginning of change, the patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot"

UPDATED Antidote!
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9684
RE: Lower Back Pain While Fishing 2010/04/13 14:02:44 (permalink)
Nothing wrong with an occasional Vicoden/Percocet, for any sort of "pain"...

Capsacin topical ointment is pretty good stuff, if you like heat.  Make sure not to get it near your privates though. 

Walgreens has a pretty nice back brace, made by Ace.   It has a lumbar support built in.  It's pretty comfortable.  I actually sleep in mine at times.  $30.

Harbor Freight has a bunch of different worker style ones for much cheaper.  I'm thinking to get one for outside of my waders too. 

Above mentioned posture does a lot.  If you are a keyboard jockey, try to get your company to get you a nice ergo chair.  Humanscale Freedom chair is probably the best chair available, but a bit pricey.  There may be better out there, if you are able to precisely adjust it to your body, but likely need to take a 5 hour course in how to operate it.  This chair does almost all of the adjusting for you.  Also, use a keyboard tray!  If you don't, there is no way to have proper posture while typing.

Welcome to the old mens club!  Soon, you will move to Arizona, where all the old folks go.  You will vote Republican, you'll see UFOs...
DJ2007
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 523
RE: Lower Back Pain While Fishing 2010/04/13 14:45:42 (permalink)
I have the same issue. I work out a lot but still get it. Best thing I've found is to buy a good vest and keep it light. Less tackle and accessories the better. Works wonders. Nice neoprene neck and shoulders on the vest is key
DaFuNK
Pro Angler
RE: Lower Back Pain While Fishing 2010/04/13 15:53:02 (permalink)
this is where it's at right here...

solves everything!

UPDATED Antidote!
Porktown
Pro Angler
RE: Lower Back Pain While Fishing 2010/04/13 16:19:18 (permalink)
I'd have to agree, that looks to be the best advice on here.
krott243
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 954
RE: Lower Back Pain While Fishing 2010/04/13 21:34:31 (permalink)
Grow a set duuud, it solves everything.

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
osunowms
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Lower Back Pain While Fishing 2010/04/13 23:43:18 (permalink)
Does the pain radiate down the back of your legs? Are there certain activities which make it any better or worse? Do you have any tingling down either of your legs (or anywhere?) Has there always been pain and it is suddenly worse, or is this new onset pain?

A common normal anatomic variant is responsible for the so called "piriformis syndrome" in which the sciatic nerve pierces the muscle belly of the piriformis. When the pirformis is tight you get pain radiating all the way down the back of the leg. I've seen variable statistics on the prevalence, however a safe bet would be 1 in 10 people have this.
glen
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 920
RE: Lower Back Pain While Fishing 2010/04/14 23:28:55 (permalink)
Wow!!!! Just read all these posts. Everybody's a "doctor" of sorts. Getting older= pain.

I keep some Vikes in my vest, Vodka in my truck.

For long time relief, 18 year old Philippino twins work wonders jussayin Glen
post edited by glen - 2010/04/14 23:30:31
Porktown
Pro Angler
RE: Lower Back Pain While Fishing 2010/04/15 09:03:01 (permalink)
I have a feeling, once the stream water gets over 50* and outside temps are averaging mid 60s, you'll likely not experience any of this.  Although, it will likely come back next Fall/Winter.  Especially if you have any type of arthritis starting up.  I was told that I had some in my back in my later 20s, so it's really not an old persons disorder.

As for guys 20 years older than you out there fishing, do you really think they are doing it pain free?
DaFuNK
Pro Angler
RE: Lower Back Pain While Fishing 2010/04/15 12:05:58 (permalink)
I want you to take two of these. Once in the morning and once in the evening.. PM me in 6 days if the symptoms remain.

post edited by DaFuNK - 2010/04/15 12:06:18

UPDATED Antidote!
Dream Catcher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1567
RE: Lower Back Pain While Fishing 2010/04/15 12:26:42 (permalink)
So you're saying there's a chance?
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: