Size of spoons?

Author
notoe
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 17
  • Reward points: 0
2007/10/03 20:49:10 (permalink)

Size of spoons?

I need some advice on spoons for fishing Steelheads. What size Little Cleo and Krocodile spoons are the best to use when fishing at the mouth of the streams? Also, what are some good color patterns? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

5 Replies Related Threads

T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: Size of spoons? 2007/10/03 20:53:53 (permalink)
    They're all good.  Sizes and colors.  Some don't work some days, all work others.   A fresh-from-the-trenches chromer won't be afraid to nail a 3" spoon, in any color.  Other times, 1 1/2" plain silver spoons will be the ticket.  Not to be too big a jerk, but give it all a try newbie, you just might learn yourself something.
    worm_waster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: Size of spoons? 2007/10/03 21:44:15 (permalink)
    When the fishing is tough, don't be afreaid to use trout sized lures.

Chrome/Blue, Chrome/Chart. and Chrome/Flo Orange account for most of my fish.w_w.

If it has fins and gills, I'm there.

gonefishin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 328
    RE: Size of spoons? 2007/10/04 12:38:59 (permalink)
    I try to stick to 1/8 ounce Cleos and the smaller sizes of Krocodiles and Kastmasters.   This greatly minimizes hanging up on the bottom.  The larger ones are fine, but expect to lose some to the rocks.  My 1/8 ouncers were quite effective yesterday in front of one of the streams.   Blue/white glow in the dark was good until full daylight, then blue/silver, green/silver worked well until the lake stirred up.  I landed 5 from 5-9# and my dad landed 3 of similar size. 
    Also, the smaller sizes tend to work better as the water gets colder (if it gets colder this year).  They are effective until the water temps get down to 52 or lower.   Then I switch to various baits and smaller sizing. 
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Size of spoons? 2007/10/04 13:26:25 (permalink)
    You don't need the really large spoons.  I have seen guys catching them off the wall on Walnut with small spoons and Roster tails.  As W_W said, think trout size and you will be fine, especially if you are casting in the creeks.

pax vobiscum +
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2215
    RE: Size of spoons? 2007/10/05 09:25:31 (permalink)
    Spoons do work, but some people misuse them.  I have seen guys purposely throw out a big spoon with large trebile hooks and snag fish.  Then they act surpised that they "hooked up", like they weren't really trying to do it. If u cast one of those things into a tightly stacked group of steelhead, you're gonna snag one eventually.  So if you use a spoon with trebile hook, just be careful. 

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    Jump to: