Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 391
  • Reward points: 0
2007/09/30 13:20:50 (permalink)

Steelhead fishing

Fishing: Erie anglers should spread out beyond mouths and big pools
Sunday, September 30, 2007
By Deborah Weisberg

Until consistent flow sparks steelhead runs, anglers clustered near the mouths of some Erie streams will be dealing with elbow-to-elbow madness.
In an effort to ease congestion, the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission has posted maps of 14 Erie tributaries and this year finalized several streamside property acquisitions. Some of the land wasn't previously posted. The easements or outright purchases, made independently by the commission or through partnerships with municipalities, used some of the $1 million raised through angler purchases of the Lake Erie stamp. Those acquisitions guarantee the land remains in the public domain and open for fishing. The commission is now erecting signs on each parcel to indicate there is access.
Find the maps at www.fishandboat.com. Visitors to the Web site can try their luck at winning one of six guided steelhead trips to be raffled December 7.
"We want to attract more people in order to sell more licenses," said agency spokesman Dan Tredinnick, "but we also want them to use the maps to find new places to fish. We think the streams can take more angling pressure if people spread themselves out."
That can't happen until fall run-off sends steelhead well up into the tribs. But even then, most anglers still stick to the lower reaches, said Jeff Staaf of Poor Richard's Bait and Tackle. "They don't know there's better fishing elsewhere."
"It's whether you're interested in catching steelhead at all costs or in the total experience, which means fishing in some kind of solitude instead of in a hole with 30 other people," said steelhead guide John Nagy, whose updated and expanded fourth edition of "Steelhead Guide: Fly Fishing Techniques and Strategies for Lake Erie Steelhead" is scheduled for release in late October. "If you want to avoid crowds, be patient."
The key, he said, is consistent runoff -- ideally one or two rain episodes a week. The peak of the fall steelhead run is usually in November.
Early-season crowds can fuel competitive, confrontational behavior and rob anglers of a more rewarding experience, Nagy said. "Steelhead fever is one thing, but getting caught up in the numbers or harvesting game can result in problems."
Nagy advises anglers to report litterbugs and other folks who break laws regarding creel limits or snagging to a waterways conservation officer. But anglers are on their own when it comes to inconsiderate, as opposed to illegal, conduct.
"If someone gets a fish on, the common courtesy is to get your line out of the water and let him land it," said Nagy. "You might even offer to help net his fish or take a photo. Sadly, that doesn't occur much. You'll find people casting over you as you're reeling in your fish."
Other common social problems include anglers moving into spots where they see big fish being landed, or monopolizing a spot all day.
"It's selfish," said Nagy. "Give other people opportunities, especially the elderly, the handicapped, and youngsters."
Nagy advises those who inadvertently snag a steelhead in a crowded hole to cut the line as a courtesy to others.
"It takes longer to reel in a fish snagged by the tail," he said. "You're wasting people's time when they all have to pull their lines out of the water. If you're by yourself, that's another story."
Although a Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission survey shows catch and release is on the rise, with steelheaders keeping on average 1 in 5 fish, over-harvesting does occur and a small element kill fish just for the skein (eggs), discarding the rest.
"What it comes down to is having respect for the resource, for other fishermen and for landowners," Nagy said.
Public-private tensions in Erie have never been higher, with more stream-front property being posted or leased. Ninety percent of Erie tribs are on private land. The Spring Ridge Club, a private club embroiled in a lawsuit over the Little Juniata River in central Pennsylvania, leases or has leased members-only sections on Elk and Twenty Mile creeks, as well as on Conneaut Creek in Ohio.
One of those properties is a half-mile section on the lower portion of Twenty Mile Creek, south of the Route 5 bridge. Property owner Mary Dohler has indicated she might consider a similar arrangement with the Fish and Boat Commission instead. Last week, she said she'd be open to hearing from Northeast Township or the Fish Commission.
"See what they have to offer me" she said.
Township director Dennis Culver said he has reached out to Dohler, as well as landowners adjacent to her. The township already owns land on the north side of the bridge, which is open to anglers.
The township and the commission say they'd like to acquire more properties along Twenty Mile Creek. They're expected to finalize an easement this fall involving 1,900 linear feet on the Semelk property, four parcels north of Dohler's land.
Tomorrow, at their fall meeting, the Fish Commission will consider seeking acquisitions west of the peninsula. They include the Holliday Crooked Creek Farm property on Crooked Creek in Springfield Township, which would include the purchase of more than 2 acres of land and a 1,330-foot easement for a total of $51,400, and a 2,300-foot easement on the Klimek property on Elk Creek in Girard Township for $24,000.

30 Replies Related Threads

chrisrowboat
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 688
    RE: Steelhead fishing 2007/09/30 16:16:28 (permalink)
    The best place to catch fresh chrome will always be the mouths of the tributaries. The bigger fish simply cannot run that far up stream. Perhaps now I'll have project waters to my self.   ;)
    chrisrowboat
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 688
    RE: Steelhead fishing 2007/09/30 16:26:29 (permalink)
    In actuality I had "my stream" to my self this morning. I fished in un-fished water all morning. Landed a sweet 19" R'bow on the Sage 1 wt along with a few others. Leaves were turning and the AM chill became heat later, I could not ask for better.
    Chris

Proud to have been a FOT/
    I've been out fishing.
    Clean your gear/
    http://www.fish.state.pa.us/cleanyourgear.htm

coho yokel 1
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: Steelhead fishing 2007/09/30 18:56:37 (permalink)
    The sad reality is most people do not want to walk to a good fishing area in 15 years of fishing elk creek exclusively, i hardly see others in some of the spots i fish on elk especially in dec people in pa are just plain lazy i dont care if the fish are drop backs dark chrome etc. i would rather fish over unpressured fish anyday than weasel in at the well beaten spots remember these fish move here today gone tommorow just walk a little and you can reap the benefits and probably find pockets of unpressured fish but i say stay lazy = more fish for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No one of us
    knows more than all of us
    (Bill Herzog)
    STEALYS4ME
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: Steelhead fishing 2007/09/30 19:03:55 (permalink)
    Lol i hear what u are saying
    coho yokel 1
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: Steelhead fishing 2007/09/30 20:07:16 (permalink)
    Yeah i guess also after lugging folding chair, cooler,net so big you can land a seal,lantern and the ever present 12 ft stringer of death i guess i can see why these bumbkins stay close to the car if there was a way they could angle from a vehicle they probably would never even set foot outside of course except to throw there trash out of site!!

No one of us
    knows more than all of us
    (Bill Herzog)
    FisherChic
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 789
    RE: Steelhead fishing 2007/09/30 20:36:02 (permalink)
    I see just as much trash on the paths to those "out of the way" fishing spots.
    maybe those people prefer to stay where they know they are allowed to fish rather than risk being on private property?
    or maybe they just don't know or care to learn any other way to fish?

tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Steelhead fishing 2007/09/30 20:45:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: coho yokel 1

Yeah i guess also after lugging folding chair, cooler,net so big you can land a seal,lantern and the ever present 12 ft stringer of death i guess i can see why these bumbkins stay close to the car if there was a way they could angle from a vehicle they probably would never even set foot outside of course except to throw there trash out of site!!

That surf rod and the box full of lead, treble hooks and powerbait isn't light either.  

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Steelhead fishing 2007/09/30 20:59:38 (permalink)
    Every year we come down to the same topic, access.  Too many fisherman, too much liter, too many rude people, too many.... fill-in-the-blank.  It is my hope the Fish Commission has opened its eyes and is starting to do what needed to be done 30 years ago, and that is secure access to the streams.  I love steelhead fishing, and enjoy being on the streams and would hate to think that one day most of the prime waters will be for members only private clubs and steelhead fishing for the average citizen will mean a few hundred yards here and there, mostly at the mouths of the streams.

I tip my hat to all the true sportsman's clubs (ones that are open to the public and don't charge prohibitive fees), the landowners, private citizens, the townships and municipalities and the Fish Commission who are working to keep the fishery alive and available for the average person to enjoy.  Thank you to all.

To the fisherman, please be curtious to everyone while  you are on the streams.  We have a wonderful resource here that we all can share.  Let's therefore all do our part to make it the very best it can be.

pax vobiscum +
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: Steelhead fishing 2007/09/30 21:58:34 (permalink)
    above the boat launch on elk there a small section about 15 yards long and 3 feet deep that has good flow, but the water entering that area is bout 2 inches deep so in that section both saturday and sunday I counted 35 guys saturday and 20 on sunday. the boat launch and mud hole were the places to be, any where else if there was trees around everyone was losing them because their line would break as soon as it hit the bottom of the log. Great weekend tho for how clear and no flow. took me a while to get used to the fresh chrome especially sunday while using the fly rod. 

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
    -Steve Rinella
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2215
    RE: Steelhead fishing 2007/10/01 11:28:54 (permalink)
    I hope people hear what Bughawk said and take it to heart.  When we are out there on the stream, let's resist the narrow-minded mentality that says "I have to catch fish, no matter what" and it's amazing how much more fun can be had.  For those who make a long trip to Erie, it is difficult to just "enjoy the day" because of the factors involved: Having to take off of work, planning in advance for a trip, the long drive, etc. 

Those factors intensify the need to actually catch fish.  The shame of it is, when we let these things get to us, the need to catch a fish overwhelms our enjoyment of fishing in general, the beauty of the stream,the camraderie with others, etc.  Of course we would all like to catch some fish, Im just encouraging everyone-including myself, to try not to get obsessive about it. 
    FisherChic
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 789
    RE: Steelhead fishing 2007/10/01 14:07:02 (permalink)
    most of the time I don't catch fish, but I still enjoy the day.

Bughawk is a wise man :)
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: Steelhead fishing 2007/10/01 14:25:35 (permalink)
    I thought it was funny that on friday I fished ELk. And from the mouth to above the log jam it was shoulder to shoulder fishing. So I walked past everyone till I was out of sight and I had a stretch of water at least 200yds to myself and another guy and his girlfriend. It was full of fish. And I did pretty well considering the conditions. And still being fairly new to flyfishing for steelhead.

Instead everyone else was 5' away from each other fishing in a foot of water. The fish were so spooked no one was catching anything. Except when they foul hooked them. Which I saw at least 8-10 people doing on purpose. One guy I saw trying to snag fish asked me for some split shot to get his line out farther. I told him nicely to *@#$ off. Bout that time I just left.

I never go to Erie expecting to catch fish. It's a 2-1/2hr drive for me and it's nice to just get away. There is some beautiful scenery up there on the tribs. Its just an extra reward when the fishing's tough and you figure the conditions out enough to catch fish.
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    RE: Steelhead fishing 2007/10/01 14:47:58 (permalink)
    lol thats the exact spot I saw px. I even said to a kid who snagged one and was getting ready to put it on his stringer its illegal to keep a foul hooked fish. his responce was it wasnt foul hooked. of course not it only swam in backwards. and another guy beside him said to release it so no trouble is started.  I just cant wait for the cold and the rain and the snow. then you can walk for miles and find gems of fishing spots that are hardly ever fished because some people are to lazy to walk. 

-Steve Rinella
    mossy oak
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 883
    RE: Steelhead fishing 2007/10/01 14:48:40 (permalink)
    Was there Friday and Sunday.  Fishing was GOOD on Friday and not too bad on Sunday.  I was impressed with the attitude and courteousness of most I ran into.  Some just kept to themselves and others were conversational.  I didn't run into any @$$holes though. 
    Wanted to say thanks to a buddy that I've known for a while but kind of got to know alot better fishing with him.  Jimmy, you taught me a lot.  And while some was on purpose, most I picked up just watching.  I had a blast. You are amazing when it comes to hooking fish.....nah, you are sickening, lol.

Hope all had fun and pray for rain...

MO 

so save your breath I could not hear, I think I made it very clear...

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Steelhead fishing 2007/10/01 15:07:25 (permalink)
    It's funny/sad to see the behavior of some people when there are some big fish in front of them.  Like you pxatim, I drive a few hours to get to Erie.  Took a vacation day from work and made the trip up last Monday (9/24) just to get away from it all and clear my head for a day.  I went expecting to see a lot of fishermen and not many fish.  To my surprise, there was a decent amount of fish and not too many fishermen.  But I just had to laugh at some of these guys chucking 1 oz. Little Cleos and egg sacs on treble hooks at fish in 2 feet of clear water over and over again (to their credit, I didn't witness any intentional snagging).  I was very surprised they didn't hit each other, they were so close. 

I took a little walk and found a couple dozen fish with nobody else there.  Fooling a couple of the dumb ones was a bonus.  The scenery, standing in the water in my shorts and old sneakers, the sunshine and the cool breeze, and an incredible sunset over Lake Erie were the highlights for me.  Meeting a few new people and sharing a drift with a 16 year old kid on his birthday were cool too.

I've been mulling over some big decisions in my life and told my wife I just needed to get away for a day and clear my head.  When I got home she asked if I figured things out.  I told her "No, I didn't really think about anything all day except how good it was to spend a day thinking about nothing." 

I'd be a liar if I said it's always like that when I hunt or fish.  It was a lot simpler when I was a kid.  I was just happy to be out in the woods or on the water.  Kind of funny how it is that the more we "learn" about hunting and fishing - at least for me - the less we're able to enjoy it sometimes.  I hate when I spend a day outdoors and put so much pressure on myself to bag some game or catch a fish that I forget what it really is I came to do - relax and enjoy what God has created. 
    steelydaze
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: Steelhead fishing 2007/10/01 15:09:50 (permalink)
    Fished Fri. below the access and hooked a decent amt. but didn't land any. Didn't run into any a holes neither.
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Steelhead fishing 2007/10/01 15:14:23 (permalink)
    not any more I'm afraid.......   But once in awhile we get lucky. Not solitude, just a few less people. And I fish the whole steam (where legal) Was a time we could fish and never see a person all day. I'm guessin those times are gone forever...   Dave
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2215
    RE: Steelhead fishing 2007/10/01 15:16:20 (permalink)
    rsquared, well said. 

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    ronnie84
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 580
    RE: Steelhead fishing 2007/10/01 17:52:07 (permalink)
    I would be lying if I said I didn't care if I didn't catch a fish in an entire day of fishing, but that's just that...if I can catch just one or two steelhead in a full day on the water I'm perfectly content. I release everything I catch so getting a 'limit' is not even in question for me.

If I get skunked after an entire day on the water I just feel like I don't know how to fish, which is depressing in and of itself considering the time I put into it.

Other than that, some relative solitude, taking in the scenery, a steelhead or two and my Cope Snuff/little cigars is the ideal day for me.
    Hefalump
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: Steelhead fishing 2007/10/01 17:55:49 (permalink)
    I'd be interested in comparing walkin spots... why not drop me an email?
    StCroix Boy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: Steelhead fishing 2007/10/01 19:07:53 (permalink)
    I hope people hear what Bughawk said and take it to heart.  When we are out there on the stream, let's resist the narrow-minded mentality that says "I have to catch fish, no matter what" and it's amazing how much more fun can be had.  For those who make a long trip to Erie, it is difficult to just "enjoy the day" because of the factors involved: Having to take off of work, planning in advance for a trip, the long drive, etc. 

Those factors intensify the need to actually catch fish.  The shame of it is, when we let these things get to us, the need to catch a fish overwhelms our enjoyment of fishing in general, the beauty of the stream,the camraderie with others, etc.  Of course we would all like to catch some fish, Im just encouraging everyone-including myself, to try not to get obsessive about it. 

I mentioned in a previous post  "I drive 3+ hrs to fish .....Somedays I catch nothing ---oh well--- still better than being at work ...I guess at 32 I am sort of a rare case. I fish for the sake of fishing. 80% of the fish I catch return to the water minorly inconvienced- because I use barbless hooks.Yes there are some who think putting a fish on the chain is the only payoff to fishing..I just enjoy being on the water ,Trying a new fly or having the satisfaction of having said fly entice a steelie to bite regarless if he ends up in the oven.  I take roughly 8 steelhead home a year 3 for dad 3 for dad in law and 2 for my smoker..I was raised only take what you will eat and leave the rest for the other sportsman...Thats why I when I hunt - I take 1 100lb doe for jerky and the other goodies . The rest of my hunting is done with a digital camera..
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    RE: Steelhead fishing 2007/10/02 14:09:10 (permalink)

first chrome of the year

i know terrible face lol

first of 4 on sunday.

wasnt a bad weekend well besides not being able to find the banquet.

-Steve Rinella
    Katty
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: Steelhead fishing 2007/10/02 15:15:40 (permalink)
    I am a local who fishes 4 to 5 days every week with my 12 year old son and occasionally one of Zack's friends weather permitting. We catch fish most days out. I have been trying to teach the kids about stream etiquette. It is hard in that many adults do not have a clue on how to be polite. I will clarify myself that many elderly sportsmen have it down, and know that fishing is not about catching fish. I will stop to talk to many people who make the long trip up to our area. I really must chuckle with the responses I get; when talking to the fishermen about how they are doing, some are down right rude. The friendly ones I try to give them pointers, and what that has been working for me.
    Everyone keep enjoying the steelhead fishing.

A knot is a tangle with a name..............
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Steelhead fishing 2007/10/02 16:01:46 (permalink)
    Katty,

I agree with you about the folks you meet.  I like to fish several days each week and meet a lot of people.  Some are rude and inconsiderate and others are friendly and even become friends.  It is pretty much a slice of America out there on the streams, the good, the bad and the ugly as they say.  My philosophy is you reap what you sow and if you are a rude, inconsiderate person, don't be surprised when others are rude right back.  To the friendly folks, keep being friendly and who knows your next best fishing buddy might be the next person you meet.

What is boils down to is being considerate of others, treat everyone the way you would like to be treated and relax.  Fishing it fun, catching is a bonus.

Enjoy the streams and the fish, but remember to also enjoy the people you are fishing around.
    post edited by Bughawk - 2007/10/02 16:02:39

pax vobiscum +
    walcat01
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 391
    RE: Steelhead fishing 2007/10/02 20:15:10 (permalink)
    I put a post up about how the steelhead seaon brings out the A-holes and I got tore up by a few A-holes on here. They know who they are as well as everyone else on this board by their posts in response to me.It sure feels good to read reports by honest true sportsmen. God bless you guys and keep them coming. 
    WVU25
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Steelhead fishing 2007/10/02 20:38:32 (permalink)
    It is all about being kind.  I don't mind helping someone out when they are having a tough time and not catching anything.  I have never had a day in erie when i didn't catch atleast a sucker.  but maybe some people our a holes because of the way you approach them.  Many times have i had a little run to my self catching fish here and there and someone will stump up the stream right beside....try to see any fish ask what im using and then stump away leave a unpleasent wake.  I have the control not to say anything and will forget about a couple drifts later.  Maybe people think this has no effect on the fish and they are doing nothing wrong, but after having this happen time after time i can tell you it dose not encourage the fish to take my fly anytime soon afterwards.  I love spending time out on the stream and talking with people...but there are certian times when there shouldn't be talking.  As a college student i love to meet new people and learn new things and will often approach people on the stream to ask what there using and if they have had any luck, but i always make sure to stay some distance away from them if there fishing.  and if they continue to fish i try to continue on and let them get back to what they are doing.  Your more then welcome to talk to me on the stream...im young and will prolly be wearing a west virginia hat (im from PA..don't have a accent) but feel free to talk to me.  but just remember there is an art to talking on the stream.
    peacymike
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 540
    RE: Steelhead fishing 2007/10/02 20:59:27 (permalink)
    katty i talk to you 2 years ago . if you remember. i said i got the magic bait to catch steel. do you remember at the lot at walnut
    STEALYS4ME
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: Steelhead fishing 2007/10/02 22:00:04 (permalink)
    The dream bait
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2647
    RE: Steelhead fishing 2007/10/02 22:05:58 (permalink)
    "I put a post up about how the steelhead seaon brings out the A-holes and I got tore up by a few A-holes on here."

keep your chin up walcat. youre a great fella. cheers to you.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: