record steelhead harvest for canada 2007

Author
Jive Turkey
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 46
  • Reward points: 0
2007/09/15 12:10:35 (permalink)

record steelhead harvest for canada 2007

seems the canadians put a hurting on our steelhead this summer. record harvests in the nets. seems there is a good market for steelheads in china.
if anyone is wondering why no steelheads are showing up in erie, look north and flip them the bird. this will become a regular occurance in the future.
I always thought the steelhead fishery would kill itself. well, the canadians killed it for younzs.

21 Replies Related Threads

Presquisleanglr
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: record steelhead harvest for canada 2007 2007/09/15 14:15:28 (permalink)
    jive, I mentioned this fact on another post but got shot to pieces by spoon's  he knows plenty but i know more, I asked just how many steel head do the Canadians stock? no reply! what is the legal tun-age by Canadian subsidized trawlers? no reply. the reply I got was OH now the Canadians are taking all the fish along with the Russians.

thanks, jiveTurky
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: record steelhead harvest for canada 2007 2007/09/15 15:08:20 (permalink)
    I would think the PFABC and their counter parts in OH and NY would have something to say about that...Seems it would be unfair for us to stock steelhead and them to make $ on it, if this is true.

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: record steelhead harvest for canada 2007 2007/09/15 15:57:58 (permalink)
    Makes me laugh every year I hear the same story about Erie. NO Steelhead this year, bad year for Steelhead, etc... I fished upper Walnut on Wed morning. I caught 2 Steelhead one 24 the other 30 inches. I saw at least 21 fish up stream. I was amazed at the number of fish up stream. The water was nothing but a trickle. There were also fish up stream in 20 mile. In my years of fishing Lake Erie (30 years) I have never seen so MANY Steelhead upstream with so little water. In 1991 I didn't see a fish in 12 mile until the middle of October!!  My point is the Steelhead runs in Erie almost always get BETTER and BETTER   EVERY YEAR!!  You just have to WALK!    I think that more and more people are just jealous of the incredible fishery we have in Erie.  On a bad note. While I was walking down stream at Walnut on Wed. 6 Russians saw me dragging my stringer of Steelhead. They asked me in perfect English where I caught them. I said in the Manchester hole. They were gone in 60 seconds. I have a feeling that what ever was swimming up stream was gone after they got to them.
    Jive Turkey
    New Angler
    RE: record steelhead harvest for canada 2007 2007/09/15 22:16:42 (permalink)
    Tippy, its the game..
    they know many will be harvested, but they have no control over what another country does. they just hope for the best.

PIangler, its actually a no brainer and spoonwhoever most likely is fully aware. Its like when you tell a little kid to eat his vegies because they're good for them. The little kid shakes his head side to side and screams NO!!!!!!!
    these pittsburgh no it alls think erie is the best thing since sliced bread, big fish that are easy for them to catch. If you or I lived in that ugly dirty overpopulated place we might feel the same. They defend steelhead fishery because its the only thing they have to look forward to. They will soon grow tired of spending $100's of dollars on gas and minnows at Bac. The truth hurts and not just pittsburghers but even the locals. they will soon have no choice but to believe it.
    watch and see
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: record steelhead harvest for canada 2007 2007/09/16 00:45:27 (permalink)
    Andy,

I have no idea what the allowable catch for Canada is, I don't even think there is a restriction on Steelhead. I also don't know their stocking numbers of hand, but I know they stock at least SOME fish. I DO know that these numbers have been basically the same for years, and that despite posts like Jive Turkey's ( and JIVE is the operative word ) proclaiming the demise of the fishery over the past 8-10 years, the runs STILL come each and every fall. This is not a closed, self sustaining fishery. It is replenenished annually. Thus Canada's catch this year, will have little if ANY impact on future runs. 

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Presquisleanglr
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: record steelhead harvest for Canada 2007 2007/09/16 02:05:58 (permalink)
    spoons

I'm quite aware there is nothing that can be don about fish being caught in another country(Canada) but this is also the point in hand! there is a big problem with two country's sharing the great lakes and not coming together to protect the fishery's as a hole. All the invasive species to hit the great lakes and there are more to come originate from bilge water transfer of ballast water. the USA has made several at temps to address this issue but two political entity's can not put there differences aside to protect and preserve for the future the natural integrity of the great lakes.The VHS virus is just the tip of the iceberg there is a more deadlier virus responsible for total economic devastation of the North Atlantic salmon population just sitting off the cost of north America and Canada and bilge water will soon put it in your back yard , what you going to do about it son

If you can get the chink out of your armor and need to get informed contact Great Lakes United (Jennifer Nalborne jen@glu.org)

cherish the fishery of today because hard times are up the st.Lawrence. Ask Chuck  about the virus sitting at the mouth of the St. Lawrence he'll know.
    Deerslayir
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: record steelhead harvest for Canada 2007 2007/09/16 07:08:02 (permalink)
    I dont know anything about the record harvest steelhead in Canada,what I do know is that in the EPSFA tourney, there was alot of steelhead caught. I would bet 7 times more then last year, there is alot of silver out there. I know people have been catching alot in the open water, so I dont think the people that wanna fish in the creek thats 30 feet wide, where they return to spawn out shouldn't worry to much. Plenty of fish for all
    post edited by Deerslayir - 2007/09/16 07:21:48
    steeliesniper
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: record steelhead harvest for canada 2007 2007/09/16 09:08:10 (permalink)
    I don't have any firsthand info on what Canada may or may not be doing to the steelhead. But, I have lived in erie all my life and the last two years have been record breaking in my personal record book. I agree that POTENTIAL commercial overfishing COULD reduce numbers, as of now there are plenty of fish for everyone. Space on the bank though, thats another story.

Is Pittsburgh a city in Russia or Canada? Just kiddin'-come one come all, we'll make room. Welcome back!
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2985
    RE: record steelhead harvest for Canadian 2007 2007/09/16 10:02:11 (permalink)
    By the looks of the EPSFA tournament and Canadian record harvest, you could assume that there is a possible, record amount of steelhead in the lake.
    Maybe too many.

Gone Fishing
    chrisrowboat
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 688
    RE: record steelhead harvest for Canadian 2007 2007/09/16 16:18:22 (permalink)
    FlashDance
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: record steelhead harvest for Canadian 2007 2007/09/16 16:50:31 (permalink)
    None of it is really new. Here's a link from 2005

http://www.pressandguide.com/stories/081705/spo_20050817011.shtml

*commander*
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2647
    RE: record steelhead harvest for canada 2007 2007/09/16 21:34:27 (permalink)
    one year it was walleyes eating smolts, next it was snakes eating smolts, next it was large birds(pteradactyls(sp), storks, turkey vultures, herons, etc...), then it was Amish, then russians, then mupheres, downheres, overdheres, then new yorkans, then ohioans, then russians, now its canadians and steelhead hungry chinese. LMAO!!!! how does anybody ever catch any steelhead. they have got to be the most illusive fish ever.
    coho yokel 1
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: record steelhead harvest for canada 2007 2007/09/16 21:38:42 (permalink)
    That was pretty funny commander but you forgot to blame o.j.
    post edited by coho yokel 1 - 2007/09/16 22:22:59

No one of us
    knows more than all of us
    (Bill Herzog)
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: record steelhead harvest for canada 2007 2007/09/16 21:46:07 (permalink)
    Thats good! Real good! This post is unbelievable! Them darn Canadians have to ruin everything! The EPSFA Tourny is why there are NO STEELHEAD! We caught them all, Every last Stinkin one of them! Didn't leave any for Yinzers (like myself), Ohioians, New Orkers, West By God Virginian's, Erien's, Canadian's, Stork's, Ostrich's, Grand Kids, Great Grand kids or anyone else that wants to catch those der' big ole trout! GET REAL!!!!THERES SO MANY FISH OUT THERE YOU JUST HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO CATCH THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jive Turkey
    New Angler
    RE: record steelhead harvest for canada 2007 2007/09/16 22:13:00 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: *commander*

one year it was walleyes eating smolts, next it was snakes eating smolts, next it was large birds(pteradactyls(sp), storks, turkey vultures, herons, etc...), then it was Amish, then russians, then mupheres, downheres, overdheres, then new yorkans, then ohioans, then russians, now its canadians and steelhead hungry chinese. LMAO!!!! how does anybody ever catch any steelhead. they have got to be the most illusive fish ever.

LOL commander, you forgot a few..

VHS killed all the steel. Zebra mussles cleared the water and the steelheads got sunburned. Too many boats leaking oil and gas polluting the lake which kill the steel. Eagles were sighted at PI with smolts in thier talons. Lampreys suck all the blood out of the steel. Too many walleyes eating the steelheads food. too many boats that disturb the steelhead, stressing them out and killing them.

btw, when did the snakes eat the smolts? thats a new one for me.LOL
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    RE: record steelhead harvest for canada 2007 2007/09/16 22:20:50 (permalink)
    read about the snakes a year or so ago on the old board. i dont remember exactly who, but i believe it was that nice fella by the name of mr.fisherman who posted it. be thankful he doesnt keep steel. he catches them when nobody else can. if you dont believe me just ask him.

also, there was a picture of a kid who wrestles, that catches them with his bare hands. the picture has been posted on the old boards many times. have not seen it posted recently.
    Jive Turkey
    New Angler
    RE: record steelhead harvest for canada 2007 2007/09/16 22:29:19 (permalink)
    thanks for the warning.. I would'nt want to fish next to someone named Mr fisherman. I would never stand a chance of catching anything. That guy ought to get into guiding.
    He would make millions.
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    RE: record steelhead harvest for canada 2007 2007/09/16 22:29:36 (permalink)
    LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i believe it was a gang of west virginians that infiltrated the creeks. heard they rode in ohio Amish buggies being pulled by ostriches.
    peacymike
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 540
    RE: record steelhead harvest for canada 2007 2007/09/16 22:46:22 (permalink)
    jive turkey mr fisherman he guild you right to hell where you be long. pain killer are great to dumass
    youngguru
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 681
    RE: record steelhead harvest for canada 2007 2007/09/16 23:08:42 (permalink)
    i thowt mR fsharman waz suposed too fite iRnhed
    hee gott skarred and rann awey
    chiKen
    QuackerSmacker
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 176
    RE: record steelhead harvest for canada 2007 2007/09/18 10:10:15 (permalink)
    Their are 2 C's in chiCken
    Jump to: