Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
  • Reward points: 0
2009/11/25 18:37:02 (permalink)

Shore fishing the Niagara in Nov.(pics)

Shore fighting big fish in a strong current with a deep bottom full of snags.....ain't easy but it can have it's rewards! 

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

39 Replies Related Threads

rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2146
    RE: Shore fishing the Niagara in Nov.(pics) 2009/11/25 18:39:10 (permalink)
    Nice

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    RE: Shore fishing the Niagara in Nov.(pics) 2009/11/25 18:45:14 (permalink)
    Here is another Niagara River fighter.      Captain "Reel Action" gets action.
    post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2009/11/25 21:25:46

Attachment(s)

jolie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Shore fishing the Niagara in Nov.(pics) 2009/11/27 15:40:52 (permalink)
    Do you guys fish the niagara river gorge then from shore...

I've often eyed the raging river down there, wondering if anything swims in it, and if anybody fishes it?  some incredible fish there!  I thought lake trout were deep water fish! do they run into shallow river in the fall, or are they there year round?  

can you fish just below the falls in a boat somehow? - the "maid on the mist", makes it run, but I've never seen another boat anywhere.  Can you shore fish it?  Holding up a huge lake trout with the falls in the background would make a pretty spectacular photo... 

just curious.  
    davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 980
    RE: Shore fishing the Niagara in Nov.(pics) 2009/11/27 18:28:31 (permalink)
    We walked down into the devils gorge hole last year while on vacation there and there were fisherman fishing from shore on the u.s side at least. I was told there are no boats allowed up that far except for the jet boat that takes passengers for the thrill ride through the rapids and devils hole.

There were also signs about not being allowed to walk to the rivers edge but we did it as did everyone else.

Hopefully people from that area with more knowledge can give a definate answer.
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    RE: Shore fishing the Niagara in Nov.(pics) 2009/11/28 21:37:58 (permalink)
    You can shore fish a lot of areas along the Niagara. Some are very dangerous and those areas are just to fast to fish. We have fished the Devil's Hole on down to Lewiston's Art Park through the years. Niagara is a super challenge from shore. It's a huge "deep river" with strong whirlpool boils and loaded with large bottom rocks (snags). The current is unsupassed to any other river in North America. It is also loaded with fish! Lakers and Steelhead this time of year patrol the river steady. The fight of the larger fish in the strong current double the normal battle. We travel over four hours at least once or twice a year to stay a few days just to challenge the Niagara. We have boat fished many years but my preference is still the shoreline action. It is a challenge with snags 30-50 hooks ties a day is not uncommon when bouncing the bottom.The fish also use the strong current to their advantage to break off even 10 lb.line. But once you hook up and battle and land few trophies you are hooked for life. I tease my buddies with the line" Anyone can catch Trout in a creek but real fishermen fish a river" ! Give it a try sometime........it usually humbles most fishermen who never fished it.............but don't give up! A few photos from the past..   http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/101180776vNqpqT
    post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2009/11/28 21:46:10
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Shore fishing the Niagara in Nov.(pics) 2009/11/28 23:08:29 (permalink)
    Dave,

The "Devil's hole" is very popular with experienced boat anglers ( no place for a 1st timer ), and guides. The hole you're thinking of, is probabley the Whirlpool, and would require a jet boat, and great skill to reach by boat. It may even be restricted. You can access it ( via a long walk ), and the Devil's hole by shore. Most of the Lakers I hear of are caught in the lower drifts, below the powerplants. I've caught them just above Artpark, both from shore, and boat. The area in front of ( and just below ) the Lewiston launch, has a stretch of less turbulent flow, and sandy/gravel bottom. The Lakers are often found in this stretch. Some Walleye, as well. 

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 980
    RE: Shore fishing the Niagara in Nov.(pics) 2009/11/29 09:35:57 (permalink)
    Spoon: Yes your right I meant the whirlpool hole was restricted. When we were on vacation we just drove down the road on the U.S. side. We stopped at the whirlpool lookout and also the next one down which I'm assuming was devils hole? We walked down to the river and could see fishermen fishing the shore and we also watched the boaters on the u.s side at the powerplant.

I have no personal knowledge but was told that trail went for a couple of miles along the river. I did see the signs that said no access to the river but it seemed most people were going to the the river just for a better view at least.
    SteelJunkie2
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Shore fishing the Niagara in Nov.(pics) 2009/11/29 14:11:44 (permalink)
    I fished the whirlpool for the first time this year for salmon. We got 2 over the course of several trips. We also fished devils hole but didnt get any there. If you want large numbers of fish this is not the place to go but if you want a shot a nice sized steelie, coho, king or laker that will give you the fight of your life this is the place to go! We stayed with a former guide by the name of Bill Josheph he is famous in that area for catching giant fish outa that river. It is a VERY DANGEROUS place be very careful we wore life jackets while we were near the water! Also pay attention to the water level the river can rise several feet in several minutes due to turbines located above the falls don't get trapped on a rock out in the water this happened to me in devils hole and I was TERRIFIED! For steelies and salmon when the water rises use spoons and when the water is low drift skein under a float you wont be dissapointed! Be careful and have fun!
    rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    RE: Shore fishing the Niagara in Nov.(pics) 2009/11/29 15:06:49 (permalink)
    So how did you get off the rock?

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    RE: Shore fishing the Niagara in Nov.(pics) 2009/11/29 19:24:33 (permalink)
    One of the most dangerous mistakes a novice fisherman can make is to wade out into the upper Devil's Hole area. The large rocks at early morning time are exposed well above the water line but as the morning progresses the current starts to pick up and the level rises very fast in this area. Even if you had a life jacket on I highly doubt you would survive if you were swept into the river in this area. The rest of the river the rise is minimal on shore but the current change fluctuates all day long from fast to slow. We mainly wear just hunting boots on shore and never wade any Niagara water. My friend made the same mistake years ago and it could have been tragic had he not got back to shore in time. I posted this on my site years ago...   http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1101181774051395656AoBUjN
    post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2009/11/29 19:32:07
    SteelJunkie2
    New Angler
    RE: Shore fishing the Niagara in Nov.(pics) 2009/11/30 16:00:08 (permalink)
    Well rippin lip, luckily the water went back down after only several minutes my buddy and his dad were on another rock farther out that was much larger and they were videoing the whole ordeal. At one point the water came over my hunting boots to about mid shin bc one of those friggin jet boats went by! We just got so caught up in the fishing we werent paying attention to our surroundings. Luckily it was the weekend of the big fishing derby I believe its called the odyssey tournament, and if we would have fallen in there were many boats around we were actually about to call one over if the water got any higher! Its very funny now looking back on the whole thing!
    rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    RE: Shore fishing the Niagara in Nov.(pics) 2009/11/30 18:14:05 (permalink)
    Man I get the chills thinkin about it! Could have been a bad outcome... When some rocks get wet, they turn slippery. Seems like the water reactivates the slime on them.

SteelJunkie2
    New Angler
    RE: Shore fishing the Niagara in Nov.(pics) 2009/11/30 18:57:38 (permalink)
    Yes the rocks are very slippery almost every rock has about a 1/2 in of algae on it! I was actually wearing leather work boots that were slip resistant and it actually helped although that isnt even why I wore them. When I was there for the first time we stayed with a local legend named Bill Joseph. This man is amazing he owned his own charter in lake ontario for awhile and guided on the river for some time. One of his buddies fell in one time by devils hole and floated down the river for several hours before he could finally swim onto shore IN CANADA. Another time he was in devils hole with his 22 ft boat and several clients. In the river like mentioned before there are many small "whirlpools" that just pop up out of nowhere at any given time. Well one of these little whirlpools pops up and sucks the transom of his boat down. He said that was one time in his life he thought he was dead. He says nothing's scarier than looking straight up at the bow of your boat and your 10 ft underwater in the whirlpool. But then he said it just spit em out! But anyway if you ever get a chance to meet Bill do it. His stories are so unbelievable but then he whips out a photo album full of pictures of it! Another story in particular was when he and his brother-in-law were in a tournament in january and went down to the river and he caught 2 16lb steelies in like 1hr to win the tournament. Then he whips out the newspaper clipping that reads "Bill Shows Em How Its Done"! Simply amazing! O and by the way sorry for the long post.
    SteelJunkie2
    New Angler
    RE: Shore fishing the Niagara in Nov.(pics) 2009/11/30 19:00:59 (permalink)
    Also if you click on the link at the end of captain's one post you will see the rocks I am talking about being trapped on. My buddy and his dad were on the farthest ones out and I was about halfway in. Thats about how high the water got when it luckily started to go back down!
    young
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 124
    RE: Shore fishing the Niagara in Nov.(pics) 2009/12/01 17:28:57 (permalink)
    Nice fish!!
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    RE: Shore fishing the Niagara in Nov.(pics) 2009/12/01 21:32:14 (permalink)
    One more Laker photo on the river. No private property signs here 100% public fishing!
    post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2009/12/06 12:29:01

Attachment(s)

bigben7
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 885
    RE: Shore fishing the Niagara in Nov.(pics) 2009/12/02 16:04:48 (permalink)
    nice fish! 
    they dont grow that big in wolf or coolspring
    polar bear
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 49
    RE: Shore fishing the Niagara in Nov.(pics) 2009/12/02 22:12:32 (permalink)
    looks like the Art Park to me
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    RE: Shore fishing the Niagara in Nov.(pics) 2009/12/07 22:22:29 (permalink)
    Old favorite of mine, me and my son 14 years ago, Devil's Hole Niagara River. King Salmon from shore.

Attachment(s)

clearwater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 345
    RE: Shore fishing the Niagara in Nov.(pics) 2009/12/14 19:25:46 (permalink)
    ironhead needs to round up another  trip up there, went a few years back with iron he left me tag along with him had a great time, both from shore and boat. also ate some great food.
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: Shore fishing the Niagara in Nov.(pics) 2009/12/15 01:40:31 (permalink)
    I was thinking about putting together another trip.
    We'll see what happens.

Ironhed
    Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: Shore fishing the Niagara in Nov.(pics) 2009/12/15 14:57:26 (permalink)
    You guys have me about sold!
    Raging rivers, early ice, I think one more post of this caliber & I'll be a NY convert!
    Looks like a blast!

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    polar bear
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 49
    RE: Shore fishing the Niagara in Nov.(pics) 2009/12/16 18:18:23 (permalink)
    ]
    leadmen
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1001
    RE: Shore fishing the Niagara in Nov.(pics) 2009/12/25 11:52:09 (permalink)
    uner the bridge good looking fish and for the answer to no boat around can make it pass the hole not even the the jet boat its a class 5or 6 rapids never seen anyone fish that area snags all over and its too strong i may go up in may to beat up on some fish but going down to fl see how much money walks out of my pocket then but i fish from a boat more of a chance to work the shelfs and drifts
    leadmen
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1001
    RE: Shore fishing the Niagara in Nov.(pics) 2009/12/25 11:55:04 (permalink)
    cap hook there is that hole its around 8ft i did the turn a few years back got 2 in 5min but was too late for weigh in thats a little run down the river to youngstown but its cool
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: Shore fishing the Niagara in Nov.(pics) 2009/12/25 20:26:50 (permalink)
    I fished that area a few years ago with Capt. John Delorenzo, I think that was his name. He put us on fish where-ever we went. Does anyone know if he is still in business, I haven't heard of him in a while.  sam
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Shore fishing the Niagara in Nov.(pics) 2009/12/25 21:45:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mr.crappie

I fished that area a few years ago with Capt. John Delorenzo, I think that was his name. He put us on fish where-ever we went. Does anyone know if he is still in business, I haven't heard of him in a while.  sam

http://niagarariverguides.com/sys-tmpl/door/

mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: Shore fishing the Niagara in Nov.(pics) 2009/12/26 09:03:26 (permalink)
    Marty, Thanks, That is the guy,although, that pic. is over 5yrs. old ,he still looks younger than I thought he would.I would recommend him to any of my friends, I just was wondering why I was not seeing any of his advertisements.  sam  
    Meatball
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: Shore fishing the Niagara in Nov.(pics) 2009/12/30 22:15:46 (permalink)
    Nice pics guys, wow, what a place. Everyone that loves the outdoors and loves to fish too should at least take a boat ride in the river.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: