Pa fish commission would never make a mistake like this.....would they ?

Author
eye-c-man
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 223
  • Reward points: 0
2007/09/06 09:14:27 (permalink)

Pa fish commission would never make a mistake like this.....would they ?

Ran across this on yahoo. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070906/ap_on_sc/wrong_fish

6 Replies Related Threads

Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Pa fish commission would never make a mistake like this.....would they ? 2007/09/06 10:28:58 (permalink)
    Opps!!!! 

pax vobiscum +
    SteelyShawn
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: Pa fish commission would never make a mistake like this.....would they ? 2007/09/06 10:55:20 (permalink)

I would never put anything past PAFB. In the Susqhuanna and Schuykill rivers they stock channel catfish and by mistake they put in flatheads in the late nineties. Which is not indigenous to these waterways. The problem here is it is beginning to throw things off due to the fact that they are a predatorial fish and target bass and fish they feed on as well. I have noticed a decline at this power plant discharge I fish in the winter. I am catching flatheads on smallmouth lures instead of bass.

tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Pa fish commission would never make a mistake like this.....would they ? 2007/09/06 12:15:20 (permalink)
    Hmmmmm....sounds like there will be some fisheries biologist jobs opening up in Colorado

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    carpin06
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 498
    RE: Pa fish commission would never make a mistake like this.....would they ? 2007/09/06 14:19:48 (permalink)
    Back in late 80's or early90's not sure a load of musky bound for keystone power dam went to keystone state park...

Now when they stock trout the muskyshow up like they rang the dinner bell!!!

My freind caught a 25lb er on a marshmelow and magot back in 95 or 96!!!!!
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Pa fish commission would never make a mistake like this.....would they ? 2007/09/06 20:52:05 (permalink)
    eye-c-man,
         You mean like overstocking a non-native species, which has trouble reproducing, into a series of creeks that have nowhere near the biomass to support them, and which get too hot and too shallow to allow the fish to survive in the summer months?  And once they create this monster they do nothing to guarantee total access to the migratory species that they stocked.  Nah!  Could never happen in PA!

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    eye-c-man
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 223
    RE: Pa fish commission would never make a mistake like this.....would they ? 2007/09/07 00:22:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: indsguiz

eye-c-man,
        You mean like overstocking a non-native species, which has trouble reproducing, into a series of creeks that have nowhere near the biomass to support them, and which get too hot and too shallow to allow the fish to survive in the summer months?  And once they create this monster they do nothing to guarantee total access to the migratory species that they stocked.  Nah!  Could never happen in PA!
    I mean i could see the musky stocking .......NOT(musta been smokin the good stuff that day) But never a mistake like you speak of.......Nah! Could never happen here!
    Jump to: