SORTING THRU PERCH

Author
sixers
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 112
  • Reward points: 0
2007/09/06 05:39:27 (permalink)

SORTING THRU PERCH

I went perch fishing the other day and caught some undersize perch.  So what are the rules about throwing them back?  I would hate to get fined by the PFGC.

I  always thought that if you have a fish in your bucket then you can NOT throw it back to replace with another fish.

However, if you pull a perch and its bladder is blown what do you do if it is small?  I assume that it will die; hence , become "gull meat".

post edited by sixers - 2007/09/06 09:11:28

10 Replies Related Threads

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: SORTING THRU PERCH 2007/09/06 08:55:07 (permalink)
    However, if you pull a perch and its bladder is blown what do you do if it is small?

Ethical thing to do is keep it.
    JDRCAR424
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: SORTING THRU PERCH 2007/09/06 09:26:11 (permalink)
    I know one time on the Edward John,They said that you had to keep them because they will die anyways and they said that the fish commission will fine you.However I do not know the law at all.Just what the captain of the boat said.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: SORTING THRU PERCH 2007/09/06 12:14:30 (permalink)
    Technically the law is that when releasing fish, they must be released unharmed. Bringing Perch up from deep water often results in a distended air bladder, thus harming the fish. The intent of the law is unharmed by intentional, or neglectful mishandling ( yanking out a deep hook ). A WCO will not cite you for releasing small Perch just because the bladder is distended. At times there are size limits, and you MUST release them. Once you put them in a bucket, cooler, or on a stringer, it's a different story. It is ILLEGAL to cull fish. Once placed in a livewell, or on a stringer, they are considered a kept fish, and count against your limit even if successfully released later. If you simply put them in a bucket or cooler, and toss them back dead or dying, it would be considered "illegal disposition" and you could be cited.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    sixers
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: SORTING THRU PERCH 2007/09/06 12:39:32 (permalink)
    thanks spoon, now that makes sense.
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: SORTING THRU PERCH 2007/09/06 14:54:44 (permalink)
    I recently went perch fishing for the first time in years and ran into the same dilema. I kept the small ones because of the air bladder sticking out and I do not believe in killing something I cannot eat (or unless it's in the name of self preservation).

I would like to be able to release the small ones if it were possible.

Has anyone ever heard that a fish with an extended air bladder can be released if you first puncture the air bladder with a small needle? Supposedly the tiny pin hole in the air bladder quickly heals. Reading this thread made me remember that I once heard that, but I never considered trying it for fear that it is not true. But maybe there is truth to it. I don't know.   
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: SORTING THRU PERCH 2007/09/06 15:01:38 (permalink)
    Brad,

More often than not, what you see protruding from the fishes mouth is the stomach pushed ahead of the air bladder. To puncture the air bladder, you would actually have know it's position, and push the needle through the flesh. Last I knew the PF&BC does NOT recommend attempting to deflate the bladder.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 981
    RE: SORTING THRU PERCH 2007/09/06 19:34:29 (permalink)
    In the last year or so danjae posted about how to release small perch. I have never tired it but if you do a search here it should turn up. Maybe someone with more computer skills than me can find it.

I agree with spoon that what you see is not the air bladder so using a pin on it will do no good. Again i have no proof only what i;ve read on several boards.
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: SORTING THRU PERCH 2007/09/06 21:38:50 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

Brad,

More often than not, what you see protruding from the fishes mouth is the stomach pushed ahead of the air bladder. To puncture the air bladder, you would actually have know it's position, and push the needle through the flesh. Last I knew the PF&BC does NOT recommend attempting to deflate the bladder.

Thanks Spoonchucker. Yeah, I wasn't sure if there was any truth to that needle trick. And in order for me to consider actually doing something like that, I'd have to be 100 % certain that it worked.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: SORTING THRU PERCH 2007/09/06 21:54:02 (permalink)
    In the last year or so danjae posted about how to release small perch.

From old board:
    The thing you see in the throat is the stomach. The air bladder inflates and pushes the stomach out. Don't pop the stomach

Here is what we did for the perch.....and still do though now it is to get the small fish away from those smart dolphins that hang out at the boat and wait to pick off the fish we release, and those **** barracudas.

Buy one of those collapsible fish baskets. Cut a round hole out of the bottom of the basket about 10 inches across. Take a 5 gallon bucket and cut a round section of the plastic out of the bottom about a inch or two bigger then the hole you made in the fish basket.

Add a few ounces of weight (we used a pound) around the outside of the basket so it will drop faster. Take the round plastic and wire it to the bottom of the basket (outside) in a spot or two on one side to act as a hinge. Connect a cord from that plastic bottom to the top of the basket to keep it closed.

Hang the basket overboard and when you catch the shorts put them in the basket and when you have a few or after each short you lower it down.

To use it.....Disconnect the cord that is holding the bottom closed and let it drop quickly. Water pressure as it goes down will keep the bottom closed. When it gets to the desired depth pull it up and the water pressure will make the hinged bottom swing open and the fish are washed out safely at depth no worse for wear.

Say your fishing in 60 feet of water, you don't have to drop them back to 60 feet, 30-40 will do fine. As the fish drop back to depth the pressure returns the fish to normal almost instantly.

Easy.....

Danjae

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: SORTING THRU PERCH 2007/09/06 22:08:26 (permalink)
    Again, Marty you the man!

Jump to: