Anyone ever fish three flies at once for steelhead?

Author
SteelyShawn
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 54
  • Reward points: 0
2007/09/06 00:44:18 (permalink)

Anyone ever fish three flies at once for steelhead?

I usually fish a tandom rig for trout using two flies but have not yet attemped three. Is there a lot of tangles? My hypothesis is the more flies the bigger the chance! Increase the odds, why not?

9 Replies Related Threads

Bowhunter
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Anyone ever fish three flies at once for steelhead? 2007/09/06 07:29:43 (permalink)
    I would say it depends on how many fish you are fishing over.  In the chutes (or other areas fish stack) you would be foul hooking fish all the time.  If there are a few fish I have fished a tandem, I personally never bothered with 3. 
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Anyone ever fish three flies at once for steelhead? 2007/09/06 08:16:50 (permalink)
    I have never fished three flies, but do routinely use a dropper.  Bowhunter is right about fishing multiple flies where the fish are stacked.  A tandem or triple is a recipe for snagging fish.  One of my favor and very successful tandems is a sucker spawn with a nymph dropper.  The nymphs that I typically like are copper johns, brassies and pheasant tails, usually beadheads.  I also like to use a woolly bugger with a glo bug dropper.  One thing to keep in mind is the length of the leader between the primary fly and the dropper.  I usually like to keep it less than 20 inches and more than 8 inches.  I tie the leader into the eye of the first fly most of the time.  I sometimes tie the leader onto the bend in the hook.

Another thing to keep in mind is adding some shot to the leader between the first fly and the dropper.  This depends on the water depth and flow. 

Good luck and have fun.

pax vobiscum +
    go-n-fishn
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 225
    RE: Anyone ever fish three flies at once for steelhead? 2007/09/06 09:26:25 (permalink)
    I've fished 3 flies many times for trout. But the size of the water has a lot to do with it. Mostly on big streams and lakes. Fished two lots of times on the tribs but the streams are realy to small for three. Like posted above its asking for trouble when you'r fishing stacked fish. Even fishing two I have caught the fish on one or the other and have the second fly hooked in it some where. Then one has to remember when fishing N.Y. which I do alot, no second fly.

There will be days when fishing is better than ones optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.
    **Roderick Haig-Brown
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Anyone ever fish three flies at once for steelhead? 2007/09/06 09:33:13 (permalink)
    there was 32pg "nymphing for trout" add-on to the sept 2007 Fly fisherman mag...it has a lot of useful info!!

they describe and picture the process of bottom weighted bounce nymphing.. here's the link
    http://www.flyfisherman.com/rmwest/ltbouncenymphing/index.html

i can assume that it would work well in erie tribs, and i plan on trying it out this year

i have fish 3- bugger-- ss--- pheasant tail
    you really have to watch your "casting"... it becomes more of laying you line
    i don't do it regularly... it was more of a test of "could I"  instead of  "should I"

SteelyShawn
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: Anyone ever fish three flies at once for steelhead? 2007/09/06 11:31:06 (permalink)

All last year I fished with a weighted  tandom rig with two flies. I usually did either a single egg nymph as my bottom flie or a spawn with a nymph and even a spawn and single egg just to see what they were in the mood for. I can see when they're stacked three flies would be a problem but when they are scarce and picky it might be something to try out for ****s and giggles 

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: Anyone ever fish three flies at once for steelhead? 2007/09/06 11:53:03 (permalink)
    I have noticed while fishing a multiple rig in clear water, that a larger attractor (bugger) will catch an eye and then the strike will come on a trailing nymph
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Anyone ever fish three flies at once for steelhead? 2007/09/06 12:00:21 (permalink)
    Bingo KJH807.   Something to catch the eye and the hit comes on the dropper.  Caught a lot that way.

pax vobiscum +
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Anyone ever fish three flies at once for steelhead? 2007/09/06 12:09:26 (permalink)
    you will definitely snag more fish that way, and when you break off you'll lose three flies.
    post edited by tippy-toe - 2007/09/06 22:12:11

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: Anyone ever fish three flies at once for steelhead? 2007/09/06 16:24:32 (permalink)
    Thats why i run a tripple trebble with a 3 oz pyrmind sinker... kinda like a surf fishing rig
    Jump to: