Walnut flow data

Author
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
  • Reward points: 0
2007/09/02 00:18:10 (permalink)

Walnut flow data

While tossing a line at a few early runners at the Wall-o-nutz, we encountered some folks from the U.S. Geological Survey. Theyre planning to install some instruments on lower Walnut. One just above the small boat ramp, which they described as some Doppler type device that they did not fully explain, nor I fully understand. The other, a flow meter beyond the upper end of the wall. They said that the flow data will be available online on the project is in place.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL

13 Replies Related Threads

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Walnut flow data 2007/09/02 11:37:16 (permalink)
    That sounds like good news spoon.  I do question the placement of the flow data instrument for gauging purposes (for fishing) .  If it's at the upper end of the wall, tides may affect it.  What you think?
    joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 805
    RE: Walnut flow data 2007/09/02 12:19:29 (permalink)
    Silverkype, you're not serious about tides are you?  There are no tides in the Great Lakes. 
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Walnut flow data 2007/09/02 13:16:21 (permalink)
    joebaker79
           Any enclosed body of water is affected by tidal flows.  And YES Erie has a tidal flow.   It can be as much as 1 foot.  Also given the normal wind and weather conditions (which also affect tides) the water level can have as much as 2' difference.   We'll wait for spoon to give us the expanded accurate data.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Walnut flow data 2007/09/02 17:42:25 (permalink)
    There is definately a tide on lake Erie. Also as was stated wave action is another factor. On that day, a strong northeast wind was pushing water upstream to about 3/4 up the wall. I also questioned the placement for those very reasons. I was speaking with Chuck Murray, who was accompanying the USGS guys. He explained that the upstream meter would be placed where theses forces would have little if any impact. I can only assume that these folks have more knowledge, and experience than I.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 805
    RE: Walnut flow data 2007/09/03 00:39:38 (permalink)
    please point me in a direction where i can find scientific research of a tide in any great lake.  wind and waves are not tides.  the only research that has been done shows that, and that weather and significant wind is the only force to significantly affect water levels.   some studies have shown a 1-4 centimeter tidal effect but not frequently enought to be predictable or call it a tidal influence.  this is not a true tide by any stretch of the imagination, and at most times of the year even in lake superior it is zero.  i can cite references if need be, but i have never seen anything showing true tides on the great lakes.  as big as they are, all the research shows there just isnt enough water for the usual tidal forces (sun, moon) to pull on.   as far as stream flow, with weather and waves pushing water upstream a stream gauge would surely be better placed well above where this effect would reach, but it is not a tide and certainly not predictable, hence the lack of any tide charts for any great lake. 
    post edited by joebaker79 - 2007/09/03 00:43:14
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Walnut flow data 2007/09/03 16:55:32 (permalink)
    anybody that ever pitched a tent too close to the water  at sarah coynes can testify there is a tide on lake erie.
    post edited by BirdsNest - 2007/09/03 16:56:04
    2dog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Walnut flow data 2007/09/03 19:46:05 (permalink)
    This is from http://glakesonline.nos.noaa.gov/faqglin.shtml?station_info=9063085+Toledo,+OH

Are there tides in the Great Lakes?
    The water levels of the Great Lakes have long term, annual, and short term variations. Long term variations depend on climatology and water storage over many years. Annual variations occur with the changing seasons. There is an annual high in the late spring and low in the winter. These rate changes are measured in feet per month.
    True tides, changes in water level caused by the gravitational forces of the sun and moon, do occur in a semi-diurnal pattern on the Great Lakes. The spring tide, the largest monthly tides caused by the combined forces of the Sun and Moon, is less than 2 inches (5cm) in height. These minor water level variations are masked by the greater fluctuations in lake levels produced by wind and barometric pressure changes. Consequently, the Great Lakes are considered to be essentially non-tidal.
    Other factors may create quite large fluctuations in lake levels, but for only short periods of time lasting from minutes to several days. The two most dramatic are storm surge and seiche.
    Storm surge is a sudden, and often unexpected, rise in lake level associated with a rapid decrease in atmospheric pressure, or a strong storm. If high winds are steady for a long period, several hours, a change in water level may occur known as wind set-up. Once the winds cease or shift direction, a standing wave called a seiche may occur. This can result in significant increases in water level. Example, a strong northeast wind can increase the water level on the east side of Lake Erie while decreasing on the west end. This is very similar to the wave created by sloshing water in a bathtub. The lake surface will oscillate from higher to lower with decreasing amplitude over a period of up to several days. It is this oscillating water level that is most often confused with a tide as that the period of the oscillation in some lakes is very similar to the period of the tides.
    In summary:
    Great Lakes water levels are primarily influenced by long term changes in wolume of water and meteorological events.
    mr.fisherman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: Walnut flow data 2007/09/03 19:50:20 (permalink)
    Just fish the north or south pier in the channel all weekend on calm days. Then tell me why the water is flowing at times without wind.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Walnut flow data 2007/09/03 22:57:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mr.fisherman

Just fish the north or south pier in the channel all weekend on calm days. Then tell me why the water is flowing at times without wind.

BIG burbot....
    post edited by KJH807 - 2007/09/03 22:58:47
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2647
    RE: Walnut flow data 2007/09/03 23:22:33 (permalink)
    yes, burbot. also on the weekends there are a lot of boats on the lake, in the bay, and boats going in and out of the channel. maybe with all of the boats the  water is rising up causing the water lines on the piers to be higher. have you noticed later in the day when there arent as many boats that the water again goes down. its like whenever you get into a bathtub the water goes up, and when you get out the water goes down.
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Walnut flow data 2007/09/04 21:04:36 (permalink)
    Any idea when this will be available????

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Walnut flow data 2007/09/04 21:09:26 (permalink)
    Tippy,

I have no clue. They were looking the area over, and discussing what equipment to place, and where. No doubt there will be further discussion back at the office, before any equipment is actually placed.
     I WILL check with what contacts I have up there, and report any new information.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Walnut flow data 2007/09/04 21:12:04 (permalink)
    Thanks !!!

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    Jump to: