Electric Fillet Knife Question(s)

Author
Brad1
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 338
  • Reward points: 0
2007/08/28 10:44:58 (permalink)

Electric Fillet Knife Question(s)

I have always fillet fish with a conventional (non-electric that is) fillet knife. Earlier this year, I picked up a Mr. Twister electric fillet knife at Boaters World. It's the one with the green handle, not the newer Pirranaha version. It was on clearance for $15, so I figured what the heck. I hadn't been fishing much this year, so I only got to use the knife once, and that was to fillet 5 steelhead (I used my old fashioned way on the Walleye. I was impressed with the knife.

So tonight I've got to fillet 140 perch. Using my electric fillet knife, do you think I'll be able to get through the whole batch of perch on the one set of blades without having to sharpen them? If the blades get dull, how do I sharpen the serrated blades?

I wish I would've thought ahead and ordered some extra blades from Cabelas, but I didn't. I did buy a Rapala electric fillet knife at Dicks last night just in case. It was on sale for $29.

22 Replies Related Threads

mikelravy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 163
    RE: Electric Fillet Knife Question(s) 2007/08/28 11:30:39 (permalink)
    Perch don't dull the blade very fast. You should be able to fillet hundreds of perch without trouble.  Cutting the ribs on walleyes will dull the blade though.
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Electric Fillet Knife Question(s) 2007/08/28 11:40:26 (permalink)
    I've cleaned hundreds of fish and only own 2 sets of blades and never had to sharpen them. I do have to sharpen 1 set at this point. Look up Fish Fear Us they sell a sharpener that works great on electric knifes. You just power up the knife and run it through the sharpener just like a regular knife. I have a set of pirahna blades for my Mister Twister and haven't tried them yet. I would recommend a set of 12" blades for the 7-10 lb. Walleye it makes it alot easier cleaning them. I hardly ever use a regular knife. I fillet, skin, zipper, clean all the red garbage from the fillets and cheek my Walleye with a Mister Twister Electric Fishermen. Also you cant do a better job on perch as well as cant even come close to the speed of electric comparing to manual knifes while cleaning perch. You will become hooked on the electric knifes and not want to use manuals anymore
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: Electric Fillet Knife Question(s) 2007/08/28 12:02:51 (permalink)
    Shouldnt have to sharpen them just yet....even if u dont want to sharpen...new blades are 8 bucks...

I found a deal at walmart about 4 years ago that put all the american angler blades on sale for like $2.50 needless to say i bought all of them.

As far as being faster than a regular blade...a skilled person with an electric will never beat a skilled person with a regular blade...

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    Katty
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: Electric Fillet Knife Question(s) 2007/08/28 13:46:57 (permalink)
    bIG fATHEAD..............How do you unzipper a fish??????????/
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    RE: Electric Fillet Knife Question(s) 2007/08/28 13:59:02 (permalink)
    All you should see 1st you have to....................................... Then you....................................... and finally you......................................... Boom it's that easy! You should see how nice they un zipper!!!!!!!
    STEALYS4ME
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: Electric Fillet Knife Question(s) 2007/08/28 14:30:14 (permalink)
    I have one they seem to work great on big fish.  Never tryed it on small ones yet.
    Katty
    Avid Angler
    RE: Electric Fillet Knife Question(s) 2007/08/28 14:32:07 (permalink)
    YEA but do they really sound like a zipper unzipping????????????
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: Electric Fillet Knife Question(s) 2007/08/28 14:50:12 (permalink)
    Katty it is the area in the middle of the walleye fillet.  Usually a tougher area in the fish.  Go down to the tail make two cuts on on each side of this "line" and you literally can pull or "zipper" it our of your fillets leaving two pure white pieces of meat.  No it doesnt sound like a zipper...

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    Katty
    Avid Angler
    RE: Electric Fillet Knife Question(s) 2007/08/28 15:02:29 (permalink)
    CB Thanx
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: Electric Fillet Knife Question(s) 2007/08/28 15:48:27 (permalink)
    Sharpen Electric Knives
    To sharpen your electric knife, unplug the knife from the power source,
    remove blades, align the serrations and hold both blades firmly in place.
    Pull the blades slowly through the inside of the steels with some pressure.
    This will sharpen the outside edge of both blades at the same time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Great-Knive-Sharpner-for-Hunting-Fishing-Great-Gift_W0QQitemZ2392661084QQihZ001QQcategoryZ20764QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
    post edited by pghmarty - 2007/08/28 15:50:58

Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    RE: Electric Fillet Knife Question(s) 2007/08/28 16:35:19 (permalink)
    Marty thats totally opposite of what the guys that sell them showed me! You still da man!
    post edited by Big Fathead - 2007/08/28 17:58:35
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: Electric Fillet Knife Question(s) 2007/08/28 16:58:10 (permalink)
    Use a Lansky type sharpener and do one at a time-same as serated.
    STH FEVOR
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 76
    RE: Electric Fillet Knife Question(s) 2007/08/28 18:51:33 (permalink)
    I can't count the number of fish i filleted with my mr. twister, it finally died after ten years and i only used two sets of blades in that time. And i also used it on countless deer , guess its time to get another one...
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: Electric Fillet Knife Question(s) 2007/08/29 10:36:45 (permalink)
    Thanks for everyone's replies !

I did 140 perch last night with my Mr. Twister electric knife (not the Pirranaha, but the green handled model) and the blades held up no problem. Total time spent was 4 hours, but that includes setup and clean up time. I probably spent about 2.5 to 3 hours actually filleting, skinning and removing the rib cages. If it weren't for the electric fillet knife, I would've been lucky to get 1/2 the fish done in twice the amount of time.  

I'm going to order a couple extra sets of blades from Cabelas though. Just in case. Plus I'm going to follow the leads given here on how to go about sharpening the blades.
    Katty
    Avid Angler
    RE: Electric Fillet Knife Question(s) 2007/08/29 10:46:27 (permalink)
    I did sixty (60) last night in about 1.5 hours the old fashion way. I think I will have to get one of these Mr. Twister electric knives and give it a try. Man what a time saver. I might even get an extra hour of sleep before work.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: Electric Fillet Knife Question(s) 2007/08/29 11:10:05 (permalink)
    There is a box you drop whole panfish into that guides the knife.
    I have seen it used and it works great and fast but I forget the name.

Something like "The Perfect Filet"?????

Nice site with instructions:
    http://www.fishontario.com/skills/filleting/article.jsp;jsessionid=BBJPHFCIPLBE?content=20051212_093306_3256&page=1
    post edited by pghmarty - 2007/08/29 11:13:58
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: Electric Fillet Knife Question(s) 2007/08/29 15:58:55 (permalink)
    You will need a few items. You will need:
    • 2 small wash buckets
    • a plastic lined garbage bucket
    • an electric knife (either battery operated or one that operates on household current)
    • a Sunday newspaper, and
    • a cutting block that is raised above the table top so your knife blade is parallel to the fish.

Let your fish air dry
    for a few minutes. A fresh fish is slippery. One that is dried out a bit is much easier to handle. Take the newspapers, and set it on the wood block so that there is a base of paper below your work surface. As you begin to go filet your catch, you can flip off a paper and you will have a clean work surface. This will be real handy later on, when things get messy after 60 or 70 fish! Here's another hint: The wood block raises the fish up so the knife blade is parallel to the fish. If you try to filet on a completely flat surface, your knuckles will have the effect of raising the knife base above the fish, and the knife tip will therefore angle downwards, making it difficult to get a good filet.  
    Take a fish and set it on the paper. Place the knife under the front fin just behind the gills. Angle the knife so the top is more towards the top of the fish, and the bottom of the knife is over the stomach. Make the first cut towards the head of the fish, angled down to the center and stop when you feel the knife hit the backbone.  Don't cut through the backbone.  
    Now, turn the knife right around and cut towards the tail. The top part of the knife should extend out past the top fin. This prevents the knife from cutting through the backbone. Cut right through the stomach cavity, and have the lower end of the knife also extend out over the bottom fin.

Cut the filet all the way off the fish
    . Do the same thing to the other side of the fish. You should get two filets off each fish. Toss the fish carcass in the plastic lined garbage bucket. There shouldn't be much left on the fish carcass.  
    Rinse off the knife
    in the other bucket of water between each filet half. This may seem obvious, but unplug the knife. Put the blade in the bucket swish it around to remove particles between the moving knives.  Here's a useful hint: Don't get the electric motor wet, especially if your electric motor is running off household current. (They use that same current-and-human conductivity theory at certain federal penitentiaries.) 

Next, remove the stomach and ribs then skin the filet. Place the filet skin side down. Cut away the ribs and stomach cavity in one cut. Slide the knife blade around the ribs. After a few filets, you will be able to tell when you are right next to the rib bones. The skin keeps the filet firm to make this cut. 
     The final step is to take off the skin. Again, have the skin side down. Hold the end of the filet with your fingernail. Start right next to your fingernail, hold the knife blade at a 30 degree angle. Slide the knife the entire length of the filet. After about two or three or six fish, flip your newspaper away from you and you will have a clean working surface.

Toss the filets in the bucket of clean water
    . When you have finished filleting all the fish, the next step is to completely wash the filets. I use a two step wash. The first wash is like washing your hands with a filet between your hands similar to using a hand scrubber. Do this to each filet, and drop it into the other clean water bucket.  
    When you are done, toss the dirty water in the flower beds, rinse out the empty bucket and partially fill it with clean water. Take each washed filet and inspect each one and remove any remaining particles let on it. Put the picked filet in the clean bucket. My simple guideline is to take off anything that I don't think I want to eat.   By using these techniques, you will find filleting panfish easy and quick. You should now have a clean mess of fish ready to freeze or cook up.  The water should look clear like the video still.  Be sure to clean up your work area.  Toss the newspapers (that takes care of most of the mess) and I usually hose down the picnic table to get rid of any small bits.   I have been know to bury the fish heads in my garden, or just throw them on the lawn to watch the birds.  
    post edited by pghmarty - 2007/08/29 16:00:37
    STH FEVOR
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 76
    RE: Electric Fillet Knife Question(s) 2007/08/29 19:51:19 (permalink)
    theres one called the panhandler fish filleter it does fish up to 11 1/2". You can get them at Duke-n-bait&stuff  3346 Dood La. Abrams Wi. 54101, cost is 45.95. If anyone is a NAFC member go to the member to member section page 2 and you can see it and maybe upload it for this board i can't do it...
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: Electric Fillet Knife Question(s) 2007/08/29 21:25:40 (permalink)
    eye-c-man
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 223
    RE: Electric Fillet Knife Question(s) 2007/08/29 22:01:41 (permalink)
    Does it work on perch or just blue gills, read the reviews & they only talk about the gills. Looks pretty slick thou
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    RE: Electric Fillet Knife Question(s) 2007/08/29 22:11:15 (permalink)
    That will never work! It's retarded! Way to many steps! Just my thoughts!
    Jump to: