Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Cripsbrother
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points: 0
2007/08/25 16:10:58 (permalink)

Erie fishing charter

Can anyone recomend a charter, doesn't matter what we fish for. I'm taking my family camping next week and would like to book a 1/2 or full day for my wife, daughter, grandaughter (7mo.), and myself on the lake for the 28th or 29th. Went thru all the charters listed on Yahoo, seems like everyone is booked. Any help would be appreciated.

40 Replies Related Threads

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Erie fishing charter 2007/08/25 16:25:56 (permalink)
    Brian  If Perch is your game  Try either the Edward John or Victory Head Boats

Both on the Bayfront

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Erie fishing charter 2007/08/25 20:15:33 (permalink)
    masterflyman
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Erie fishing charter 2007/08/26 10:49:05 (permalink)
    I have been on three charters in Erie, once with "buckets" and twice with "seawolf". I recomend the Seawolf for two reasons, he knows how to fish and puts you on fish and secondly Ron has a Great personality which is even more important.

He may booked up. try anyways.
    if he is, "Fish connection" would be my second choice.

Jive Turkey
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: Erie fishing charter 2007/08/26 14:36:16 (permalink)
    all the pittsburgh based charters suck.

go local, seawolf, fish connection.
    if your spending that amount of money, go with a local who actually knows the lake.
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Erie fishing charter 2007/08/26 22:26:18 (permalink)
    • I agree that Sea Wolf catches fish. You must be braindead to think the guys from Pittsburgh dont knoe the lake as well as the guys from Erie! I would take my family on a head boat it just would be easier Bigger boat and bottom fishing. Not knowing how old your kids are trolling is tough on small kids when your winding in dipsy's. I believe Sea Wolf only drifts or Control Drift fishes which would be easier to wind the fish in but more difficult to catch the fish for a younger person. Good Luck hope you catch alot of fish
    LDD
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3138
    RE: Erie fishing charter 2007/08/27 00:07:57 (permalink)
    Get a clue Turkey...lots of great captains from the burgh area.  I'm not one to defend burgers very often but you obviously don't know what you're talking about. Buckets, Bomber, Wolfman, Aquamist, Lucky Penny, Windjammer, the Minnie are all professionals and all know how to catch fish. 
    Deerslayir
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: Erie fishing charter 2007/08/27 06:26:01 (permalink)
    Stop the arguing, Capt.Pete Alex of Vision Quest is the best hands down. Has the the nicest boat and consistantly outfishes every other Charter Capt on the lake(See www.epsfa.com) under tourney results and does it without bragging a true class act. Heres his website www.dreamsteelie.com
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: Erie fishing charter 2007/08/27 09:14:47 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Jive Turkey

all the pittsburgh based charters suck.

go local, seawolf, fish connection.
    if your spending that amount of money, go with a local who actually knows the lake.

I do believe that Sea Wolf is from the Pittsburgh area. Plum Boro to be specific.
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    RE: Erie fishing charter 2007/08/27 09:25:06 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: LDD

Get a clue Turkey...lots of great captains from the burgh area.  I'm not one to defend burgers very often but you obviously don't know what you're talking about. Buckets, Bomber, Wolfman, Aquamist, Lucky Penny, Windjammer, the Minnie are all professionals and all know how to catch fish. 

The minnie shouldn't be captaining a boat. He almost ran my boat up the stern 10 years ago. Pea soup fog and that guy is running way too fast. I'm talking 3/4 speed or more. Visibility was 50 ft. I was blasting on the air horn and my buddy and I were literally about a second from throwing life jackets overboard and jumping from my boat that was about to get crunched. The minnie missed hitting my boat by mere feet after he veered full starboard. I could see the entire length of his keel. Was the closest I ever came to a serious boating accident. And he just drifts off into the fog without as much as an apology. The next year, I see his ad in the back of the fishing regs booklet and just shook my head. This is the first time I had ever mentioned his name when I spoke of this account. My friend that was on board would vouch for this.  
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    RE: Erie fishing charter 2007/08/27 10:51:42 (permalink)
    Vision Quest another good Charter But AGAIN they are no better than the rest go ahead and check the EPSFA site Buckets in 2nd place on the 1st. day and were were both Vision Quest boats! 2nd day one Vision Quest boat placed 2nd, Wolfman 3rd, Buckets 4th, Oh .....only by 2 lbs. out of 17 fish seperated Buckets 4th. place from Vision Quest 2nd. place (I guess that would make Vision Quest a much better Charter). You know what cracks me up all this talk about who's better than who and it never comes from the Charters being spoken about!  Dan, Pete and alot of the other Captains read these post and probably get really peesed off or sit back and laugh at the morons leaving the post. About a mistake a captain or some other boater made Sheet happens get over it thank GOD there was no catastrophy! I had White Lightning trolling towards me and we made an attempt to avoid his lines while he trolled at us and still ended up with his Dipsy and lure in our boat (Guess our line was better than his) He turned his boat around was yelling, screaming, shaking his arms, (I couldn't  understand a word he said because we were in a running boat with a 2 stroke kicker) so I got on the radio and ask him was this his set up we had in our boat He got all noisy screaming about wanting it back and that I shouldn't have ran his line over which of course I didn't he ran our line over But out of good sportsmanship I calmly ask him where he docked or launched and he stated Walnut and I couldn't miss his truck and I Kindly returned what belonged to him as I said I would.

There are probably some Charters better than others in Erie as there are elsewhere but I do know it doesn't matter where your from that makes one better than the other. What makes the difference is what you know and how you fish! As everyone knows THE GUYS FROM PITTSBURGH ARE BETTER FISHERMEN THAN THE GUYS FROM ERIE IT'S THAT SIMPLE! (JUST KIDDING and TRYING TO GET EVERYONE FIRED UP AGAIN!)

Hope all gets out fishing and all has fun doing so and If not you should sink your boat with all your equipment in it and go GOLFING!

NOT ALL ARE PERFECT JUST SOME OF US! (lol)
    dublvision
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 99
    RE: Erie fishing charter 2007/08/27 10:59:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Big Fathead

Vision Quest another good Charter But AGAIN they are no better than the rest go ahead and check the EPSFA site Buckets in 2nd place on the 1st. day and were were both Vision Quest boats! 2nd day one Vision Quest boat placed 2nd, Wolfman 3rd, Buckets 4th, Oh .....only by 2 lbs. out of 17 fish seperated Buckets 4th. place from Vision Quest 2nd. place (I guess that would make Vision Quest a much better Charter). You know what cracks me up all this talk about who's better than who and it never comes from the Charters being spoken about!  Dan, Pete and alot of the other Captains read these post and probably get really peesed off or sit back and laugh at the morons leaving the post. About a mistake a captain or some other boater made Sheet happens get over it thank GOD there was no catastrophy! I had White Lightning trolling towards me and we made an attempt to avoid his lines while he trolled at us and still ended up with his Dipsy and lure in our boat (Guess our line was better than his) He turned his boat around was yelling, screaming, shaking his arms, (I couldn't  understand a word he said because we were in a running boat with a 2 stroke kicker) so I got on the radio and ask him was this his set up we had in our boat He got all noisy screaming about wanting it back and that I shouldn't have ran his line over which of course I didn't he ran our line over But out of good sportsmanship I calmly ask him where he docked or launched and he stated Walnut and I couldn't miss his truck and I Kindly returned what belonged to him as I said I would.

There are probably some Charters better than others in Erie as there are elsewhere but I do know it doesn't matter where your from that makes one better than the other. What makes the difference is what you know and how you fish! As everyone knows THE GUYS FROM PITTSBURGH ARE BETTER FISHERMEN THAN THE GUYS FROM ERIE IT'S THAT SIMPLE! (JUST KIDDING and TRYING TO GET EVERYONE FIRED UP AGAIN!)

Hope all gets out fishing and all has fun doing so and If not you should sink your boat with all your equipment in it and go GOLFING!

dublvision
    Novice Angler
    RE: Erie fishing charter 2007/08/27 11:00:32 (permalink)
    To answer your question BF " where were both VQ boats? "  Both in the top 10 final.  Where was the other buckets boat??? Quantity not quality????
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    RE: Erie fishing charter 2007/08/27 11:14:03 (permalink)
    OKAY I KNOW WERE THAT REMARKS COMING FROM! (lol) I don't think he is like that with customers though! You know as well as I do that he's a good fisherman and knows how to catch fish. He does tend to get a little to serious and take things to heart. When I fish it's all for fun and boy I have fun doing so tourny or not. All the bashing on here is funny as heel! I get a kick out of it and would try and fire more people up on some of their post but don't want anyone to chew on their 357 while they accidently on purpose pull the trigger and you know some people take things that serious. I hope the EPSFA tourny and others go on forever as I would hope to be fishing in the "TOP 10" all the time but sheet happens and I'm sure someday I will be in the back somewhere. Probably when I get real cocky and start telling everyone I'm better than them. I did pull Mike'ee H's wires before the tourny and after Buckets 5 weighed in but told him I was only kidding and it was all in fun so there were no hard feelings. Hey by the way the bie is on right now! Limits of white perch, white bass and sheephead! Get em' while the gettin's good!
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: Erie fishing charter 2007/08/27 11:59:06 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Deerslayir

Stop the arguing, Capt.Pete Alex of Vision Quest is the best hands down. Has the the nicest boat and consistantly outfishes every other Charter Capt on the lake(See www.epsfa.com) under tourney results and does it without bragging a true class act. Heres his website www.dreamsteelie.com

Pete's got a heck of a site, that's for sure!

Deerslayir, is that the name on your boat?  If so, I got to watch you launch yesterday as we sat at the dock with motor problems.  Make me jealous.  How'd you do?
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Erie fishing charter 2007/08/27 12:17:26 (permalink)
    Brad,

Seawolf lives in Erie, well Fairview Twp. to be specific. Trout run flows through his back yard. He most certainly knows how to put folks on fish, as do Buckets, Wolfman, V.Q. , Bomber, and many others. Some might have a SLIGHT advantage over the others by being on the water fulltime as opposed to just weekends. But for the most part they all work together to put fish in everyone's cooler. One may lead the pack one day, while another the next. They are, as a rule very generous in sharing location, and a successful program. Not only with each other, but also with others on the water. No doubt, each has their own personality ( so does each customer ), but when it comes right down to it, they are good folks that like to catch fish, and to help other folks catch fish.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Deerslayir
    Avid Angler
    RE: Erie fishing charter 2007/08/27 12:34:58 (permalink)
    No my boat T.T. Wayne I am not disputing Buckets is a good charter I never said that, Pete has taken 1st in 2006,and 2nd in 2007.(I wont bring the walleye challenge into either wayne) That consistency, if I had to book a charter I would go with Pete for two reasons he has an awesome boat, (the set up is sick), and he is the best in our port period.His resume in undisputable hes won PRO TOURNEYS IN LAKE ONTARIO. Hard to argue with the tournament results. I have nothing against anyone from pittsburgh either. Look at his website he cares about his customers and is a class act person as well, I wouldnt even think twice about booking with him. Some charters dont even have a website??? Wayne I know you fished with Buckets in tourney I aint trying to fire you up
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    RE: Erie fishing charter 2007/08/27 13:58:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

Brad,

Seawolf lives in Erie, well Fairview Twp. to be specific.

Perhaps he does now, but I believe he used to live down here East of the 'burgh. I'm pretty sure I'm correct about that. Lived in Plum Boro (where I live now), and adjacent to where I lived most of my life (Monroeville).

I was just making a point to the poster that recommended to go with Sea Wolf and not a Pittsburgh based charter that for the longest time, Sea Wolf was a Pittsburgh based charter too.

That's all.

Brad
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: Erie fishing charter 2007/08/27 14:04:18 (permalink)
    Pete and Dan are pretty **** good.  If you want to use the argument below, look at the site again.  Storm II (as an AM with 2 less lines in the water) was ahead of both VQs and only a couple pounds behind Buckets after the first day, but it is a 2 day tourney.  Got to catch steelhead both days, it doesn't matter how big your 'eyes are.

In fact, look at the '06 results, we were in 3rd overall after the 1st day.  Screwed the pooch on second day there too.  There are LOTS of good fishermen around.  There is NO better teacher than experience and hard work.  I can assure you, we will have SEVERAL steelie holes lined up for next year.   

ORIGINAL: Big Fathead

dublvision
    Novice Angler
    RE: Erie fishing charter 2007/08/27 14:47:17 (permalink)
    I wouldnt compare Pro to AM division.  Observers make a WORLD of difference.  Who knows what goes on during the tournaments on AM side.  Turning that knob on VHF for 2 minutes could change your odds tremendously. 

Not pointing fingers,its just comparing apples to oranges.........
    Deerslayir
    Avid Angler
    RE: Erie fishing charter 2007/08/27 15:03:23 (permalink)
    I was in AM tournament and I highly doubt anyone cheated its not worth the punishment of not ever fishing in anymore EPSFA tourney's and what it would do to your reputation. I believe nobody cheated.
    dublvision
    Novice Angler
    RE: Erie fishing charter 2007/08/27 15:19:37 (permalink)
    I highly doubt it too. Integrity is key to keeping this tournament successful. It was well put together both years and look forward to many more.  How are the BangO's working Deerlsyr?

But anyways, an observer is a WORLD of difference.....
    LDD
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3138
    RE: Erie fishing charter 2007/08/27 15:36:46 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

Brad,

Seawolf lives in Erie, well Fairview Twp. to be specific. Trout run flows through his back yard. He most certainly knows how to put folks on fish, as do Buckets, Wolfman, V.Q. , Bomber, and many others. Some might have a SLIGHT advantage over the others by being on the water fulltime as opposed to just weekends. But for the most part they all work together to put fish in everyone's cooler. One may lead the pack one day, while another the next. They are, as a rule very generous in sharing location, and a successful program. Not only with each other, but also with others on the water. No doubt, each has their own personality ( so does each customer ), but when it comes right down to it, they are good folks that like to catch fish, and to help other folks catch fish.

That says it all Spoon, good post.  I think you guys are comparing apples and oranges when you look at the tourney results as being the barometer for being the "Best Charter".  Running a good charter business has a lot to do with being a good people person, having a safe and clean vessel, giving people a fair deal no matter how the fishing is or what the weather is like and being responsible, consistent and professional.  I didn't include Pete in my original post because I just wanted to list Pittsburgh charters.  Pete is a great fisherman and a great charter captain, so is Tim Small on Bomber, but you won't see his name in the Tourney results because he was busy running his business on that weekend. He booked trips with paying customers.  Lots of guys know how to run lines out on the lake, how to find fish and how to catch them, that's different than running a business where you take people fishing.  Obviously fishing is a huge part of it, but there is a lot more to running a charter business than just being able to catch fish. 
    Deerslayir
    Avid Angler
    RE: Erie fishing charter 2007/08/27 17:16:54 (permalink)
    The bango's have caught a few fish ;) and So have the Super Slims ;). I tell you what those old Thundersticks aint too bad either "The Machine and The Ugly" anyone ever hear of them? I am not questioning how good Tim Smalls ,Dan Kelly,Ron Rusch,Wolfman,Ciao are. I just think Vision Quest is the most consistant.****Torelli is a pretty good capt as well nobodys mentioned him yet?? Find me a charter Capt that can match Capt. Petes resume, you can look but your not gonna be able to do it. Who else has won tournaments in lake Ontario and Lake Erie. I never said any Pittsburgh guys were bad capt's. They all work hard to get their clients their fish and is their alot of difference between them all, not alot but I'll put my $$ on Vision Quest any day of the week. Seen his website, the guy gets alot of fish and has a great boat what more can you ask for as a paying client?   www.dreamsteelie.com
    dublvision
    Novice Angler
    RE: Erie fishing charter 2007/08/27 18:15:29 (permalink)
    Yes, the ugly and machine, how about HEINZ??? if you know those two then you know heinz....  Do you fish with the old Rattlin Thinfins, they still eat them.......
    Deerslayir
    Avid Angler
    RE: Erie fishing charter 2007/08/27 19:40:02 (permalink)
    Yup heinz is good too, how about that pumpkinseed ;). Old rattle thinfins an Org/Blk for steelies??? I would never run such an animal ;) They still sell them as a knock off brand online. When I worked at the Erie Sports Store "The Machine"was the hottest thing in town in 1995 and 1996. Couldnt keep it in stock at all.
    TROUT SEN-SEI
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 60
    RE: Erie fishing charter 2007/08/27 20:24:06 (permalink)
    Best charter for the best price is Loco-Loco Charters and Capt. Mike Godleski. I have been out on many trips and everything about his business and personality is A-1.
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    RE: Erie fishing charter 2007/08/27 22:32:24 (permalink)
    I agree that the Am division has the adantage with no observer. Not saying that someone would cheat or did cheat but I wouldn't fish Am for the reason of no observer. Being able to listen to the radio, meet another boat for some bigger fish, start before your supposed to, fish with more rods than your supposed to, The list could go on forever! I just don't like the idea. I thought before this recent tourny that if you looked at first day and second day results hat may show who could have cheated by the differences in their catches But thats not even a possibility with the way things changed in the pro division. I know Dan struggled for his steelies on Sunday and if he would have got them he would have been in second maybe first place. He was real close to us but I had some sppons he didn't that morning and we managed 5 steelies in less than an hour. We put my spoons out and withing  minutes had one in the boat we caught 8 total in 1 hour Dan ended up with 1. I dont think our team was any better than Dans team. We kept our fish on ice which I know caused some serious weight loss. Dan probably wont even fish the tourny again. I will fish no matter what place I come in. Next year there will be Team Hawg Wild with Captain Fathead as Team Captain I don't care who fishes with me but it will be on my boat for sure. The guys I fished with this year I hope will fish with me next year we had a great time and really enjoyed ourselves out there. You know there was a crew from Ontario that fished and did **** good the second day. Those guys didnt fish Erie hardly at all and not since June They were good fishermen. Storm if you want a guaranteed fair chance at winning he tourny you may want to think about doing the pro division next year You know everyone's doing the same thing for sure then.
    dublvision
    Novice Angler
    RE: Erie fishing charter 2007/08/27 23:07:30 (permalink)
    How about those swedish pimples? Ever use them?
    Deerslayir
    Avid Angler
    RE: Erie fishing charter 2007/08/27 23:12:19 (permalink)
    Ice fishing for perch never for eyes
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: