fishing ?

Author
frost
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 437
  • Reward points: 0
2007/08/23 00:52:20 (permalink)

fishing ?

I just got home from 2 months with the army and i am looking to do some fishing this weekend.  i leave again monday to head back for another month and want to wet a line and catch some fish.  i am looking between pittsburgh and pymy, however will travel to erie if needed to catch some fish. i need to fish from shore everywhere but pymy cause i have a boat there. anyone with some fish info would be greatly appriciated.  thanks guys.....

The worst day hunting or fishing will always be better then the best day at school or work!

11 Replies Related Threads

T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: fishing ? 2007/08/23 09:35:48 (permalink)
    BIG UPS to you for your service.  Thanks! 

As for hauling up to Erie for shore fishing, stay closer to home.  You can catch as many bass anywhere else, and there aren't any steel in yet.  I went out last week and only hit one smallie from the South pier.  No perch.  Hope that helps.  Good luck.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: fishing ? 2007/08/23 10:47:30 (permalink)
    Fished Shenango for a few hrs. yesterday and only caught 3 gills on a rap.

frost
    Expert Angler
    RE: fishing ? 2007/08/23 11:36:22 (permalink)

thsnks guys.  i'll be home the end of sept, so if anyone would like to take me out for some steel once they move in.  i have only been up there once, and didnt catch any.  also what wt fly rod would be the best? i have one now that i have caught everything from bluegill to trout, and decent sized bass, but i dont remember what wt it is. 

thanks again, and like i tell everyone else, i am only here to serve to protect our freedoms.  its not me that needs thanked as much as those who served before me and kept the freedom for me to be able to serve. 

The worst day hunting or fishing will always be better then the best day at school or work!
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: fishing ? 2007/08/23 11:44:46 (permalink)
    Well said Mark, but you still have my gratatude , support and would also like to say thanks. Maybe someone local will hook up with you and take ya steeling. I,ve caught them on my 7 wght. and also on my 6 wt. If there are alot of guys I go bigger.

elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: fishing ? 2007/08/23 11:53:38 (permalink)
    If all else fails and you want some good eaters, do the perch charter. Not expensive and bait provided, gear available on board. As for fly fishing Nesshanock creek in Volant or Oil creek @ Petrolium Center would be decent choices but don't know with the weather being hot & all and stream conditions after a rain might be less than desireable. I'd call first to Neshanock creek outfitters or Oil creek outfitters before making the charge.  Dave
    jaymztrain
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: fishing ? 2007/08/23 12:24:22 (permalink)
    Sir,

post edited by jaymztrain - 2009/11/16 19:01:43
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: fishing ? 2007/08/23 12:43:45 (permalink)
    do the perch charter.

I totally forgot about that one.  Great idea for him.

Frost,
    There are many board members here who serve, have served, or have family members who do/did the same.  They all get my gratitude.  As for hooking you up with chrome, anytime dude!  Throw me a p.m., and if my schedule doesn't fit your's, I'll stear you towards some others.  There are many locals who don't get caught up in the mup'ere junk(except for a bit of fun every now and again), and if you don't have the right gear, most of us have something to lend to a fellow such as yourself.  You'll just have to sign confidentiality waivers first.  Being military, you'll be used to that I'm sure.  What happens in Erie never stays in Erie, though we try.
    frost
    Expert Angler
    RE: fishing ? 2007/08/23 23:41:07 (permalink)

thanks guys.....once they move in, i will definetly be up and cant wait to hook up (no pun intended) with and meet some new guys that enjoy the outdoors....

mark

pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: fishing ? 2007/08/24 13:42:26 (permalink)
    Go to the back of Neville Island right at the ****. You'll catch anything from hybrid strypers, smallies, eye, catfish. When I was in school in the Burgh I never went there without having a great day. Get some 1/4oz bucktails and get some live shiners.... rig it up and bounce in through the current and hold on for a ride of you hook a hybrid.

I've seen 20-40lb cats drug out of there also.
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: fishing ? 2007/08/24 13:43:56 (permalink)
    Sorry that's in Pittsburgh on the Ohio... dahn by McKees Rocks/Neville Island. On Neville Island there's a firearms/bait shop. Good guys and they know what's goin on at the river.
    QuackerSmacker
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 176
    RE: fishing ? 2007/08/24 14:26:18 (permalink)
    This is why I read this board, to see people helping others. Being a prior service man/veteran myself, when you get to somewhere new, nothing helps more that finding a place to get help from the "locals". I had a great time fishing in North Dakota for perch and walleye and really appreciated the guys that went out of their way to show me around. Didn't find anywhere to fish in the desert on the Turkey/Iraq border. Someday I hope to get time from this busy office job and all my commitments after work to get up to Erie and try my luck, (or maybe just fall into the creek).

And to read the OB, OJ and Peacy/YG posts.

Hope you all have a great day, Glenn
    Jump to: