http://www.myoan.net/oan/fishgame.html

Is it accurate?  Or BS?

I've never paid much attention to it.

7 Replies Related Threads

beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    • Reward points: 0
    RE: fish and game forecasts 2007/08/17 12:06:24 (permalink)

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: fish and game forecasts 2007/08/17 12:34:34 (permalink)
    Try casio's watches with fishing or hunting timer.  They are based on moon position in the sky.  Directly above or below is major, on the horizons is minor feeding times.  My logs for the past few years match up very well with their times.  I believe it anyway......

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: fish and game forecasts 2007/08/17 14:46:33 (permalink)
    Heres a few things,

The moon plays a roll in fishing because it effects the tide.

Theres more too it in hunting....

First and Last quarter are always best. A full moon, is a shot in the dark, the deer can see at night and will move very little in the day.

Then ontop of that it. Is there high pressure? If so, you can forget the wind, if your high enough because your thermals and scent will rise. Is it cold? Better hunt that south east facing slope because the deer will be bedding there. Is it raining? Your scent will push to the ground, much harder to hunt. Is it hot early season? Hunt the bottoms! Is it morning? Hunt high, is it evening? Hunt Low.... if its just based on the moon then it gives to many variables left out to say. One guy says one thing, the guy who followed other things says another.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6355
    RE: fish and game forecasts 2007/08/17 22:35:10 (permalink)
    Gentlemen,
          Here is the Approved Indsguiz Fish & Game Report :   THere will be Fish, There will be game, it's your job to find them.   As for all the various reports.  They may well increase your chances but I have found that the weather plays more into the actions of both fish & game than anything else.  Given if the weather was a constant then the other variables will have a major impact,  but if the weather is very dry no matter what the charts say the deer will be in the bottoms close to water.  If the weather is extremely cold the deer wil be bedded down out of the wind.  Same with fish.  There won't be much "top bite" with a severe rain storm and 6-8 foot breakers. Likewise there won't be too many steelies biting when the creeks are blown out.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: fish and game forecasts 2007/08/18 09:09:34 (permalink)
    The phase of the moon, tides, high and low pressure, etc... all play a role in the movement and feeding activity of animals.  The question is can you accurately used this information to successfully harvest the animals? 

In the area of steelhead fishing the most important variables for me are water temperature, water level (high or low) and water clarity (muddy vs clear).  Another major consideration is the location on the stream.  For some reason steelies and I would suspect other fish as well, tend to hold in certain spots.  I can hear the big "DUH" coming, but let me explain.  There are sections of the creeks that I see as having all of the right requirements to hold fish, water depth, flow, cover, gravel bottom, etc..., but rarely do I find fish there.  Other areas, which also generally have all the right requirements almost always hold fish.  I believe there is some other variable I am not accounting for that is responsible for this.  Perhaps a spring enters the creek at that spot, or there is a higher level of forage there, or who knows.  Knowing where I will usually find fish has greatly increased my success rate over the years.

The bottom line here is, to predict success in fishing, especially steelhead fishing, or hunting not only knowing the phase of the moon can help, but also having an intimate knowledge of the locations where the fish or game will most likely be and their migration and movement habits will greatly increase your likelihood of landing some fish or bagging your buck.

pax vobiscum +
    jaymztrain
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: fish and game forecasts 2007/08/18 09:37:28 (permalink)
    Wind direction and speed, temp, pressure are things we all watch and use as deciding factors. I'll believe the "fish and game report" given by the weatherman.My magic 8 ball says : bulls*it!
    post edited by jaymztrain - 2007/08/18 09:38:01
    chugbug
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: fish and game forecasts 2007/08/20 14:50:35 (permalink)
    I have the Casio fishing watch that denotes the moon phases and peak times for each day. I don't look at in advance of a fishing trip or plan my fishing day around it. However, I can't tell you the number of times a year that I will get on a nice roll on the water and stick a number of bass in a half hour period only to have the action suddenly stop like someone hit a light switch. When I check the watch the peak fishing time just ended. There are many variables that factor into fishing success but I do believe the moon phase must be considered one of those factors.
    Jump to: