Author
indsguiz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6354
  • Reward points: 0
2007/08/09 16:49:40 (permalink)

Repair or Burn?

Gentlemen,
     Been reading the threads on Buying a new boat and I have a similiar question for the board.  I inherited an OLD (and I do mean old) 1975 Aristocraft boat that has the removeable hardtop.  THis boat has seen plenty of L. Erie and Ontario over the years but it has been sitting for about 6 years +/-.  Is it worth re-building? Any real problem areas?  Places to look for rot?.
     My reasoning is thus:  It has already proven itself on the lakes.  Even with a new engine it will only cost about 5,000 to completely re-do the thing  (much less than a new boat)  And I like the old beast.  It has a 4 cyl 120hp motor and will carry 4 adults and two kids all day.  It is a 20 ft. (I believe) and it has great freeboard and a closed bow that can be walked on/fished from.  Does anybody have experience with these boats?  I will admit to complete ignorance.    

Illegitimis Non carborundum

31 Replies Related Threads

Luke 9:23
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 283
    RE: Repair or Burn? 2007/08/09 16:59:41 (permalink)
    Indisquiz,

Sounds like just the project you need.  With all you expertise it should be any easy learn. Can't wait to see the pictures.  I would suggest you take pictures all along the process from before to finished!  With your patience and detail it will be a winner.

I don't have any experience but just encouragement.
    post edited by Luke 9:23 - 2007/08/09 17:00:13

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Repair or Burn? 2007/08/09 17:05:04 (permalink)
          Just what I need - - - more projects!  LOL  I have about 15 different people/groups asking for rods and they just don't seem to realize that it takes about a month to finish 1 or 2.  Right now I'm needing broken pieces with ferrules.  That's all that's holding me back.  Most of the rods I've been getting have the ferrules either bent, or smashed, or they are just junk.

Expert Angler
    RE: Repair or Burn? 2007/08/09 17:09:17 (permalink)
    Send me a picture of what you are looking for and I can search the flea markets, etc.

T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: Repair or Burn? 2007/08/09 17:16:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: indsguiz

Gentlemen,
        Been reading the threads on Buying a new boat and I have a similiar question for the board.  I inherited an OLD (and I do mean old) 1975 Aristocraft boat that has the removeable hardtop.  THis boat has seen plenty of L. Erie and Ontario over the years but it has been sitting for about 6 years +/-.  Is it worth re-building? Any real problem areas?  Places to look for rot?.
        My reasoning is thus:  It has already proven itself on the lakes.  Even with a new engine it will only cost about 5,000 to completely re-do the thing  (much less than a new boat)  And I like the old beast.  It has a 4 cyl 120hp motor and will carry 4 adults and two kids all day.  It is a 20 ft. (I believe) and it has great freeboard and a closed bow that can be walked on/fished from.  Does anybody have experience with these boats?  I will admit to complete ignorance.    

Can I get on the list for re-built boats??? 

The rod is awesome, so I can't imagine how you'll do with a boat.  Good luck.

BTW- how's the neck?
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Repair or Burn? 2007/08/09 19:56:43 (permalink)
    If this is a project your considering a lot, I would have it surveyed. He or she can tell you if there are any under the surface problems, like delaminated wood and glass. Once you have a pro look at it, you can make a well placed guess as the overall repair cost. If nothing else it could make a heck of a ebay sale.
    Tom

Gentlemen,
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Repair or Burn? 2007/08/09 21:39:47 (permalink)
    Transoms and floors are some of the first places for rot.
    Take a small screwdriver and try to push it into the transom in various places-especially around things that were mounted and needed holes drilled.
    If it is solid you will not be able to.
    Don't worry about hurting it, if the screwdriver does push in the area is bad anyway.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Repair or Burn? 2007/08/09 21:49:59 (permalink)
    pghmarty,
         Thanks, that's where I'll start.  It does have a sunken keel with floorboards down the middle that need replaced; but they are Marine Grade Ply so that part will be easy.  I just have to wait till the temp goes down a little.  It was 102 w/80% humidity down here today.  Ever see a fat man melt?  LOL

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Repair or Burn? 2007/08/09 22:07:04 (permalink)
         Luke, what I'm looking for are the metal connectors that were used to connect the pieces of old bamboo rods together.  I'll buy old broken rods just to have the repair parts (if they are cheap).  I give the dang things away when I'm done with them so I REALLY need to try to keep costs down.

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: Repair or Burn? 2007/08/09 22:18:47 (permalink)
    You could have a whole lot of hidden problems. One would be your stringers. These are reinforcement boards that are covered with fiberglass on your hall. You,ll have to remove the floor first. Then as Marty said test for rot. To replace your transom you will need to remove your trim along the sides and unscrew about 500 screws that hold the two halves together. I,ve done one old fiberglass boat and everything was rotted. Quite a project. Good luck my friend. John

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2647
    RE: Repair or Burn? 2007/08/09 22:45:15 (permalink)
    as previously posted the floor is the most impotant factor. its not a big deal if its bad. 2 stringers; 1x6's down the length of the boat will do the job. remove the old one's. (fiberglass kit) the new ones in. 1/2---3/4 marine plywood over the stringers(fiberglassed in) will fix the floor. after that you need to shop around for interior seats, etc... 99% of the time the foundation of a boat is fine.
    Expert Angler
    RE: Repair or Burn? 2007/08/09 22:48:09 (permalink)
    Marty,
    Got any pictures of the connectors indsiquiz needs for the bamboo rods or where to look?  I'm sure we can find some.

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Repair or Burn? 2007/08/09 23:06:52 (permalink)
    Jack  I think I have a few laying around....  What sizes do you need????  If I have them they are yours

youngguru
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 681
    RE: Repair or Burn? 2007/08/10 00:13:22 (permalink)

Luke, what I'm looking for are the metal connectors that were used to connect the pieces of old bamboo rods together.  I'll buy old broken rods just to have the repair parts (if they are cheap).  I give the dang things away when I'm done with them so I REALLY need to try to keep costs down.

inTo****s
    howw much wod yu sel thet bowt forr/
    i wannt a bowt buutt wil nVr hav enuff mony too get won
    iff yu donnt wannt itt pleese let mee no
    im reely sereeis duud
    i doinnt hav the mony an reely need a bowt

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Repair or Burn? 2007/08/10 00:36:10 (permalink)
    Skip1653,
         Skip now that's a tough one.   Most of the older ferrules were made in 1/64ths.  Yet some rod makers seem to be quite liberal in their measurements.  I have even seen two supposedly identical 8/64 sets that would not interchange.  Mostly I need sets from 24-25 the whole way down to tip joints 8-10 64ths.  But when you throw in the japanese makers who used metric fittings and the fact that some english fittings seem to be made to order then the best I usually can do is try to match types and then test fit from there.  Most fittings were Chubb type but some were made by Bristol,  Leonard had his own style and so did some early monteague rods. Like I said match styles and guess.  I have even learned how to "form" some ferrules to fit but I won't go there right now.
          Sometimes it gets to be sooo much fun I wonder why I even started bringing these things back from the "dead". 
    post edited by indsguiz - 2007/08/10 00:38:39

Finster
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: Repair or Burn? 2007/08/10 01:21:03 (permalink)
    About these fittings, Do you have or know anyone with a metal lathe? They wouldn't be very hard to turn. You could probably make a bunch cheap and out of better quality material. Just a thought.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Repair or Burn? 2007/08/10 06:54:41 (permalink)
    Finster,
        That would be a good idea except for the fact that most of the better ferrules were of the "step down" type which would mean having to have the proper size flaring tool to bell the ends that go on the rod.  Like I said I'm trying to keep costs low and  appearances somewhat classic.  There are ferrules out there for sale but most makers want 40-50 dollars per set and then the costs get too high.  Remember I restore/repair these things and then give them away.  I'm not rich, probably stupid, but not rich. 
         If I were making the things for sale, then maybe the costs could be recouped.  But who would pay $500.00 bucks for a bamboo rod?  I have some new blanks, but I can't seem to get my mind around the concept of doing it for profit.   Maybe that will change. 
    post edited by indsguiz - 2007/08/10 06:59:11

Brad1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: Repair or Burn? 2007/08/10 08:15:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: saltflyfisher

If this is a project your considering a lot, I would have it surveyed. He or she can tell you if there are any under the surface problems, like delaminated wood and glass. Once you have a pro look at it, you can make a well placed guess as the overall repair cost. If nothing else it could make a heck of a ebay sale.
    Tom

What saltflyfisher said. At least that's the quickest way to get a handle on what your facing project wise. Don't know where your located, but I know of a marine surveyor down here in the Pittsburgh area. I've used him a couple times. Based on what I've paid in the past, it might cost you several hundred bucks for the survey of that boat. Can't say for sure on the price though. That'd be between you and him.  

Once you know what you've got, and if you decide to restore it, get the West Systems book on fiberglass repair.

If it needs alot of work, it might still be worth the effort if your a real roll up the sleeves DYI kinda guy and are willing to do all the labor yourself.

CR500
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: Repair or Burn? 2007/08/10 08:35:58 (permalink)
    indsguiz,

I have a buddy that hits estate sales all the time.  Do you have a don't spend more than #?
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    RE: Repair or Burn? 2007/08/10 08:35:59 (permalink)
    Jack  Why don't you PM me your address and I'll send you what I have I'll probably never use them since all I am building is Graphite rods

Remember they are used but not trash

Toad
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 108
    RE: Repair or Burn? 2007/08/10 13:03:28 (permalink)

Gentlemen,

Indsguiz,

I did the same thing 3 years ago but I bought it instead of inherited.  A 1968 fiberglass boat with newer motors on it that had sat in a barn for 6 or 7 years.  We cleaned it up and put a new transom in it and I take it up to Erie all the time.  Much cheaper than buying new.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Repair or Burn? 2007/08/10 13:51:45 (permalink)
    Skip,
        Send me your e-mail and I'll get right back to you.  I'm  hemilovr@hotmail.com.  Remember to leave out the "e" in lovr and it will all be good, and thanks.  And I know what you mean by old.  I'm working on 2 from the 1890-1911 time zone right now.   Be careful, be very, very careful.    What's a real gas is trying to remake the old, short, cigar grips.  There's a lot of cork shaving going on here.  The rods both should be in the 3-4 wt range when I'm done.

Finster
    Avid Angler
    RE: Repair or Burn? 2007/08/11 08:06:51 (permalink)
    Indsguiz,
                Check out these two sites, It may or may not be what you're looking for. If it works out, you owe me a beer.
         Finster

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/center-ferrules/273320.aspx

http://shop.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog?search=ferrules+
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Repair or Burn? 2007/08/11 09:55:59 (permalink)
    Finster,
          Hope to get to see you soon.  These are what I'm looking for.  Domestic or imported?  If you look at mudhole you will see what the price has been for ferrules  $25-35 (+)  this is the first time I have seen the brass ones.  And I get the netcraft catalogue too.  I'll still be looking for original old stuff for the restorations but these will do great for rebuilding.  Thanks!

Finster
    Avid Angler
    RE: Repair or Burn? 2007/08/11 11:12:55 (permalink)
    Glad I could help. Hey, I have an old bamboo rod with a carved wooden handle. I was just wondering if it was worth anything? It's not a fly rod. It's more of a short river rod or something. I could send a pic if your interested or know someone that may know about it.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Repair or Burn? 2007/08/11 13:25:55 (permalink)
    Finster,
        Go ahead and send the pix to my e-mail:  hemilovr@hotmail.com  and I'll take a look.  Can't promise you much but I'll look in my books and see what I can come up with.   Yours could be anything from a casting rod to a boat or beach rod.  Depends on the size and the taper, and the length.  Look for any names or identifying marks.  Some of the boat rods were made in VERY small numbers by some of the leading fly rod makers of yore.  Plus because they were exposed to salt water there are few of them left.  If yours actually has a carved (not pressed) wood handle, and if the carving is of high quality then the value will go up.   Also, nickle-silver fittings will raise the value as opposed to plated brass or steel. There were some pre-war japanese boat rods that were boxed and very intricate, whose value is in the high hundreds.  Post war japanese rods do not have the same value due to the lower quality of the metal used for the ferrules and, and guides, and the very poor finishing on the wrapping materials, and varnish.  The bamboo is very good, the cork is fair and the metal is very weak.  I have six japanese rods that are waiting for the ferules I just had good help discovering.   Point:  Some people are buying the japanese rods and re-doing them with new metal and wraps and then reselling them as brand new.  Buyer beware!

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    RE: Repair or Burn? 2007/08/11 13:31:05 (permalink)
    Jack  You have mail

Finster
    Avid Angler
    RE: Repair or Burn? 2007/08/11 15:57:46 (permalink)
    Pics were sent
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: