What is a good VHF to purchase?

Author
Big Fathead
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 915
  • Reward points: 0
2007/08/08 21:38:05 (permalink)

What is a good VHF to purchase?

What is a good VHF to Purchase? I'm looking at a Standard Horizon GS3000X with a 30 watt hailer, DSC GPS Compatable, PA system, 4 Fog Horns, bells, whistles and sirens. Not sure what all this means except if I send a distress call via DSC button it automatically will give my Cordinates to the Coast GUARD. I know I have to hook it up through my NMEA Wiring on my GPS.

Any opinions on this unit or others would be helpful

Thanks in advance,
"Big Fathead" of Hawg Wild

9 Replies Related Threads

Brad1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: What is a good VHF to purchase? 2007/08/09 11:19:46 (permalink)
    I have a Standard Horizon. Can't recall the model, but it has DSC and it has good water proof properties as well. I like the radio. Within the last year or so, I was checked by the crew of the Coast Guard's big aluminum rescue boat and the guy in charge said they had the same Standard Horizon radio aboard their boat. I doubt you can go wrong with Standard Horizon. Just don't skimp on the antenna. The antenna is as much, if not more, of the equation as the radio is. I have a Shakespeare antenna. It's 8ft with 6db of gain. I can't remember the model of it either (though I believe it has "XT" in the model designation though). I know it cost me around $100 at Boaters World. I've been happy with the antenna, but I have heard good reports about other brands (though I can't remember what they are off the top of my head). I only buy what Boaters World carries.   
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: What is a good VHF to purchase? 2007/08/09 11:40:48 (permalink)
    Both standard and Icom make radios very similar in quality, price, and warrenty...either are great...As far as having GPS hail on a radio it is not necessary eventhough most units now feature it.  To my knowledge i do not know if the coast gaurd on the great lakes have the system that is able to pick up off of that...At least they did not when i installed my own....

Shakesphere is the standard in marine antennas....5206C is a fairly standard antenna, and if you mount this up on your hard top you will achieve some additional range from your normal 8ft.  They make a Galexy antenna that i believe is around 109 bucks.....

I would look at Iboats.com if you want decent prices...i find myself ordering off of them alot more frequently when i need something...especially if i do not need it asap.
    post edited by Carpet Bagger - 2007/08/09 11:42:38

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: What is a good VHF to purchase? 2007/08/09 12:28:52 (permalink)
    Just a follow up comment about my only purchasing what Boaters World carries. I meant I only purchase what the local (to me) Monroeville, PA Boaters World store carries. The folks there treat me real good, so I try to buy exclusively from them. On rare occasion, if it's something I can't get from them, I will purchase from somewhere else.

I'm mentioning this because I have heard reports of poor customer service from the Boaters World.com website. I have heard that they are not even affiliated with the stores. Based on the reports I have read about the poor customer service from Boaters World.com website, I do not purchase anything from the Boaters World.com website.
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2647
    RE: What is a good VHF to purchase? 2007/08/09 22:29:30 (permalink)
    you are going to get responses about standard horizon and icom. doesnt matter what site you go to; you are going to hear those brands. i agree they are probably the best brands out there. imo the most important part of a marine radio is the antenna. as posted, shakespeare is the brand of choice. i have a nylon mount and a 8 ft antenna and you will hear major contraversy on the nylon mount. if it wasnt a gift i would never have mounted the nylon mount, but i have had it for 15 years. no, i am not thed fisherman that everybody else is but i have never had a problem. i received a uniden marine radio as a gift and it served me well for 14 years. it s*** the bed and i shopped around until i could find a LOUDDD radio. i bought a lowrance marine radio. yes. its cheap, but it's LOUDDDD. the money i saved buying it i also bought a handheld uniden. if one goes out i have the other. i have 2 gps units so why not 2 marine radios. both are invaluable. never hurts to have a pair.
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    RE: What is a good VHF to purchase? 2007/08/13 23:48:56 (permalink)
    Thanks I bought a Standard 3000 I believe for $186.00 shipped to my door on Ebay. It seems like a high quality radio with heat banks and its heavy unlike the inexpensive models Ive lookedat. I'm going to buy a heavy duty antenna at West Marine if they have them I nned to mount it and have it ready for next week for offshore. Thats why I want it hooked to my GPS I figure if we have o problem the faster the Coast Guard has my info the better. Thanks for the input
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    RE: What is a good VHF to purchase? 2007/08/16 02:26:17 (permalink)
    I installed this radio and it is really sweet. It is interfaced with my GPS and reads speed, direction, longitude and latitude on the vhf screen. It also will be able to notify coast guard using a distress button. It will send my location via longitude and lattitude. It also has a PA built in and fog horns built in. All this for $186.00
    bluntman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 684
    RE: What is a good VHF to purchase? 2007/08/16 07:04:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Carpet Bagger

Both standard and Icom make radios very similar in quality, price, and warrenty...either are great...As far as having GPS hail on a radio it is not necessary eventhough most units now feature it.  To my knowledge i do not know if the coast gaurd on the great lakes have the system that is able to pick up off of that...At least they did not when i installed my own....

Shakesphere is the standard in marine antennas....5206C is a fairly standard antenna, and if you mount this up on your hard top you will achieve some additional range from your normal 8ft.  They make a Galexy antenna that i believe is around 109 bucks.....

I would look at Iboats.com if you want decent prices...i find myself ordering off of them alot more frequently when i need something...especially if i do not need it asap.

The CG on the great lakes definitely monitor DSC distress calls, last Sunday a DSC alarm sounded and within 1 minute the CG was transmitting the senders MMSI number and description, well worth taking the time to interface your GPS to your radio
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    RE: What is a good VHF to purchase? 2007/08/16 21:52:57 (permalink)
    Installed a new 5900 Shakespear antenna on the radio unbelievable the difference I was talking from Pittsburgh to Olcott today!

No It made a drastic difference though I only got one weather channel clear and one static filled weather station with old antenna, The new one 7 clear weater stations never moved the boat, Also talking clearly to someone 10 miles away on land.
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    RE: What is a good VHF to purchase? 2007/08/16 21:53:39 (permalink)
    To use the distress call you must acquire a number for your radio.
    Jump to: