Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
kyler16
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2396
  • Reward points: 0
2007/08/07 18:34:36 (permalink)

Steelhead now....but not later

With all these reports of people going out and limiting on Steelhead makes me wonder.... All this pressure on them now has to do some harm on the runs in the winter. Why dont we do what New York does an lower the limit to 1? I know its a big lake but I do remember everyone worry about harming smolts or them being eatin by snakes, waleye and muskie. but i think with the pressure thats on them now while they are staging is going to cause more harm. THATS JUST MY OPINION dont think Im blaming anyone.

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
-Steve Rinella

42 Replies Related Threads

Grendel
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1675
    RE: Steelhead now....but not later 2007/08/07 21:49:17 (permalink)
    Kyler,

I am not sure about this but, Steelhead were not put in the waters exclusively for stream anglers.  Given there are many folks who do not stream fish, their stamp monies certainly do pay for these fish, so I think they have every right to target them out in open waters.  Given the sheer numbers of them out there, there really is no harm to the "fall runs."

It is my humble opinion that "thinning out" the herd would make for more sporty fishing in later stages of the game.  With low water levels and stacked fish, they become easier prey to stream anglers than they do for boaters.  Relax, and sleep assureed that there will be plenty of steel come stream time.  Besides, remember that NY and Ohio stocks a fraction of the number of chrome that PA does.  The irony is that both states have larger waters (streams)for them.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Doc
    post edited by Grendel - 2007/08/07 21:50:47

The strength of a person isn't measured by the muscle in their arm or how tall they stand, but rather, by the amount of knowledge and area of versatility they can cover. CM ~ 1987

Not a fan of Burgh teams. Get over it...
    bluntman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 684
    RE: Steelhead now....but not later 2007/08/07 22:03:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: kyler16

With all these reports of people going out and limiting on Steelhead makes me wonder.... All this pressure on them now has to do some harm on the runs in the winter. Why dont we do what New York does an lower the limit to 1? I know its a big lake but I do remember everyone worry about harming smolts or them being eatin by snakes, waleye and muskie. but i think with the pressure thats on them now while they are staging is going to cause more harm. THATS JUST MY OPINION dont think Im blaming anyone.

where else would I get my bait for trapping season
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Steelhead now....but not later 2007/08/07 22:03:35 (permalink)
    Kyler,

I have seen several reports that mention catches of Steelhead, but none that talk of limiting out". I really doubt that very many boats are bothering to harvest Steelhead, when they have a cooler full of Walleye.

The one Trout limit in N.Y. applies only to stream fishing, not the lake. Plus we stock more Steel in Elk creek than N.Y. stocks total.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    RE: Steelhead now....but not later 2007/08/07 22:34:54 (permalink)
    I wasnt getting stressed about it, I was just putting that out there for those who are worried about stream pressure and to many out of towners (muperes) were ruining the steelhead population. I and 100% agree anyone can harvest them in the tribs or lake. I just wanted to see what some responses are 

-Steve Rinella
    MICK FISH
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 219
    RE: Steelhead now....but not later 2007/08/07 22:55:26 (permalink)
    Don't stream fish myself and one fish is plenty for me when walleye fishing.  The problem I have had when catching them trolling is that the darn things fight themselves to death and you end of keeping more than you really want to because they can not be revived.  Made for some good chowder this weekend though!
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Steelhead now....but not later 2007/08/07 23:17:08 (permalink)
    I know the weather palyed a factor last season, but I would have to say that it was a steller steelhead season for many.  It was for me anyway.  And I don't think the lake pressure has increased from years past nor is the limit a factor.  I think the Erie steelhead fishing is great for everyone as long as the anglers don't become gluttons.  And even then, I think there would still be many to go around.  I believe we have one of the best steelhead fisheries in the country when it comes to numbers, hands down.  My two sense.
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2007/08/07 23:19:51

Presquisleanglr
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: Steelhead now....but not later 2007/08/07 23:23:53 (permalink)
    SORRY TO SAY BUT I FISH CANADIAN WATER ALL SUMMER STRAIGHT OF THE POINT AND THERE IS AN ARMADA OF CANADIAN CHARTERS OUT THERE EVERY DAY AND ALL THERE AFTER IS SILVER I HEAR THEM CHATTER ALL DAY. THE BEST THING THAT COULD OF HAPPENED IS THE EAST WIND KEEPING THE COOL WATER PUSHED IN TO THE WEST SHORE.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Steelhead now....but not later 2007/08/07 23:29:06 (permalink)
    @#@$%@'n Canadians. It's time to bring down the " Maple Menace".

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    RE: Steelhead now....but not later 2007/08/07 23:32:20 (permalink)
    Blame canada lol 

-Steve Rinella
    Presquisleanglr
    Avid Angler
    RE: Steelhead now....but not later 2007/08/07 23:34:10 (permalink)
    FOR THE WEST SIDE ITS JUST TOO FAR TO RUN TO CANADIAN WATERS BUT EAST AVE AND LAMPI ITS 7.5 MILES CLOSER AND ONE WOULD NOT BELIEVE THE FISHING PRESSURE THE CANADIAN CHARTERS PUT OUT. LONG POINT IS DUE NORTH OH THE POINT AND THATS THE CHARTERS FAVORITE HAUNT FOR STEEL ALL SUMMER 100-120FT OF WATER.
    Presquisleanglr
    Avid Angler
    RE: Steelhead now....but not later 2007/08/07 23:39:03 (permalink)
    SPOON YOUR GOOD ,HOW MANY ELK CREEK FISH DO YOU THINK HANG OUT THERE TILL ITS TIME TO COME HOME?
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Steelhead now....but not later 2007/08/07 23:44:52 (permalink)
    No doubt a large number of them. But it's nothing new, nor is stream harvest, or lake harvest from the trenches. Yet year, after year we still have huge runs come fall. Some years better than others, but harvest is probabley the least factor.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    Presquisleanglr
    Avid Angler
    RE: Steel head now....but not later 2007/08/08 08:02:24 (permalink)
    WHAT IS YOUR TAKE ON THE VHS FACTOR FOR STEEL, NO TROUT EGG'S FROM LAKE ERIE CAN BE MOVED TO INLAND HATCHERIES.NO NETS WHERE SET FOR NORTHERN;S THIS SPRING FOR EGG'S I'M NOT SURE WHERE NORTHERN PIKE AND MUSKY EGG'S WILL BE HARVESTED FROM

I WAS TOLD THE S.O.N.S. HATCHERY AT CHESTNUT FAILED TO GET WALLEYE EGGS THIS YEAR DO TO THE VHS BAND. WHAT PERCENTAGE OF STEEL EGG'S COME FROM THE FAIRVIEW HATCHERY
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8505
    RE: Steel head now....but not later 2007/08/08 08:09:37 (permalink)
    What does Canada stock in the lake?

Panfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 799
    RE: Steel head now....but not later 2007/08/08 08:17:47 (permalink)

RE: Steel head now....but not later - 8/8/2007 8:02:25 AM   

showPicture("8/8/2007 8:02:25 AM",0,0,0,20813,3)

Presquisleanglr
    It's a wonder someone hasn't told you this yet but try typing with small letters. With caps it looks like you are shouting.  Not trying to be smart or anything,  just pointing that out.

tight lines
    George

The only thing better than 1 day of fishing is 2 days of fishing.
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Steelhead now....but not later 2007/08/08 11:43:27 (permalink)
    This is why I think we need a Lake Erie Commission, made up of Ny,Ohio, Pa and Ontario commissioners. Set up lake wide limits and size req, Put all of their resources together and all get on the same page. Propose a Lake Erie license thats good on the entire lake and the 1st mile up from all tribs mouths. You could generate a lot of $$ this way and it would be nice just to have one governing body,so everything would be equal.I think Pa does the most and we have the smallest shoreline of them all. 
    post edited by JEB - 2007/08/08 11:45:47
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Steelhead now....but not later 2007/08/08 12:28:19 (permalink)
    Jeb,

There IS a Great Lakes Council, they do a tremendous amount of research, and DO set "total allowable catch" rates for each state. This applies mainly to Walleye, and perch ( Steelhead are not included ), and each state bases their size and creel limits, as well as commmercial harvest rates on this TAC.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    steelydaze
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: Steelhead now....but not later 2007/08/08 12:57:09 (permalink)
    Canada has a two types of lisc.. During the summer The Sportsmen lisc. sets a daily limit of 5 steelhead and the Conservation lisc. sets a daily limit of 2 for Lake Erie. Don't know how many rods they're allowed but last I remember it was 1 per man.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Steelhead now....but not later 2007/08/08 12:59:00 (permalink)
    PIA,

The PF&BC had to do a bit of adjusting ( hatchery shuffling ) but have the situation under control. The eggs can be treated prior to hatching, and release into the race ways. I believe that Northern pike brood stock, was from Eaton resevoir, Musky, I'm not sure about, but suspect they and Walleye stock would be taken from Pymatuning.

Bobby Hetz will be speaking at tonight's  PSA meeting, and our hatchery manager should be present as well. I encourage you ( and others ) to attend. They could better answer your questions. 

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    smoltguy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Steelhead now....but not later 2007/08/08 13:29:45 (permalink)
    Jeb, as Spoonchucker alluded to, there is a Lake Erie Committee which is part of the Great Lakes Fishery Commission.  The lake Erie committee is made up of all the state’s research units on the lake and Canada.  There is a committee for each lake made up of each corresponding state jurisdictions.  In Lake Erie, all sampling (warmwater and cold water) by each state uses the same standard procedures for ease in data analysis between them.  They all partake in walleye tagging in the spring to gain more information on the seasonal movements of walleye across the lake.  As mentioned above, each state sets creel limits based on the committee’s recommendation and current research results, stocking numbers are more or less controlled also, the committee develops the walleye and perch quota for commercial fishermen in US and Canada.

It is a very good functioning governing body.  All the actual committee members are the ones out there busting their butts doing the research and they, with their first hand knowledge of the resource, are who makes the decisions.

Here is the description the NYDEC has on their Lake Erie Unit web site that pretty much summarizes it all:

Lake Erie Fisheries Research Unit

The Lake Erie Fisheries Research Unit operates from a station located in Dunkirk on the eastern shore of Lake Erie. Our principal function is to help manage the fish resources within the lake. By managing, we mean evaluating the status of fish populations to enhance some fisheries and to restore others. We also undertake regular surveys to monitor the health of fish populations and to establish the effectiveness of stocking and harvest policies.

Although most of us are trained biologists, much of our time is devoted to serving people. We regularly respond to questions from the public about the changes currently underway in Lake Erie. We frequently attend meetings to inform people of our work and findings. We also encourage their interest and involvement. bathymetric map of Lake Erie

We work closely with other management agencies around Lake Erie through the Great Lakes Fishery Commission (GLFC) and the Lake Erie Committee. We have standardized sampling procedures and routinely share information with other agencies. Joint decisions are made annually concerning management and harvest policies that affect all jurisdictions.

If interested, here are some links to NYSDEC reports to the different groups within the LE committee at http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/32286.html.

2006 Annual Report of the Lake Erie Coldwater Task Group-- March 2007

Report of the Lake Erie Yellow Perch Task Group- March 2007

Annual Report of the Lake Erie Forage Task Group-- March 2007

Lake Erie Walleye Task Group-- March 2006
    post edited by smoltguy - 2007/08/08 13:30:53
    STEELJUNKIE420
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: Steelhead now....but not later 2007/08/09 09:55:21 (permalink)
    You guys got alot of nerve having a name for the out of towners! I dont have a name for you guys when you come over to ohio, which I know for a fact alot of you do for Steel+Walleye. You guys act like you are the only ones who get bombarded by fishermen during a hot bite. I know for a fact that we get hammered during the spring run of walleyes near the islands, people come from every freakin where and clog up the ramps, do you see us bashing anyone or calling names like 8 year olds and I would put money on the fact that the pressure during the walleye run is worse than any steel run in PA! The sad part is there are some nice people on this site that actually care about fishing and sharing info but the other 50% are Idiots that hide behind computers spewing out what ever pops up in their tiny little brains and probably don't even fish(Get a Life!) Also, please do not think you go unoticed on the Ohio side of Conny, I see your plates in the parking areas so don't act like you guys only fish Erie Pa tribs. They should just shut this site done because it is hopeless, not one good thread gets by with out some dumb&%$ saying something stupid.
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Steelhead now....but not later 2007/08/09 10:36:28 (permalink)
    Rest easy all. I've caught & released more steel this year than the last 3 years combined. Never net them cause as Mick Fish said they beat themselves to death and stress on the way in. Release at the side of the boat and all but 1 made it down. That 1 went in the smoker. AND the size of the steel is what impresses me. Seeing way bigger fish than previous years at this time.  After a month or so of putting on the feed bag before returning to the streams we should see a marked improvment in quality (size) this fall. I've had to pull up and run to get away from them twice this year.  So, that being said, it's not all doom and gloom.... Dave 
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Steelhead now....but not later 2007/08/09 11:43:05 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

Jeb,

There IS a Great Lakes Council, they do a tremendous amount of research, and DO set "total allowable catch" rates for each state. This applies mainly to Walleye, and perch ( Steelhead are not included ), and each state bases their size and creel limits, as well as commmercial harvest rates on this TAC.
    nICE TO KNOW, I SHOULD HAVE DONE SOME RESEARCH 1ST.
    carpin06
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 498
    RE: Steelhead now....but not later 2007/08/10 10:06:06 (permalink)
    Every year some one has to start that dumb $hit about how the steel pop is being hurt by mupersand it burns my ****!!!!!

PUT AND TAKE ROPEUM & SMOKEUM
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Steelhead now....but not later 2007/08/10 11:36:20 (permalink)
    You Go SteelJunkie420!!!

FishBurgh
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 178
    RE: Steelhead now....but not later 2007/08/10 12:44:50 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

You Go SteelJunkie420!!!

You go girl !!!!!!!! 
    You and steeljunkie might make a good couple.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Steelhead now....but not later 2007/08/10 12:59:36 (permalink)
    Okay FishBurgh or slimyfish or youngguru...which should I address you by today?

FishBurgh
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 178
    RE: Steelhead now....but not later 2007/08/10 13:09:25 (permalink)
    Why would I need more than one name? I'm not a snivelling little troll with a chip on my shoulder, like you.

How many names do you have now? I can think of 4 including Steeljunkie.

I know Slimyfish hammers you relentlessly, but is Yungguru picking on you too?
    I think its time to start a new name Fisher501.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Steelhead now....but not later 2007/08/10 14:00:53 (permalink)

Now wait a minute.  Chip on my shoulder?  Aren't you the guy who made the half assed pathetic attempt at calling me on to a fight in my PM????  Ummm Yup! 
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2007/08/10 20:12:59

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: