Sliders, rubber band releases

Author
tmccart388
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 34
  • Reward points: 0
2007/07/23 14:48:00 (permalink)

Sliders, rubber band releases

General questions- on (1) how to rig a slider on a downrigger cable? and (2) how to rig rubber bands for braid on a planer board?  pics appreciated. Thanks

5 Replies Related Threads

Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: Sliders, rubber band releases 2007/07/23 15:09:24 (permalink)
    1)  I run a free slider off my deepest rigger, some run more.  Tie about a 5' section of fluorocarbon leader with a SNAP at one end and a SNAP/SWIVEL at the other end.  Attach your favorite "slider" spoon (I like small and lite, ie: Dreamweaver WDs, Small Michigan Stingers, DW Super Slims) to the SNAP/SWIVEL end.  Once you have set your deepest rigger, clip the SNAP end onto the DOWNRIGGER ROD'S LINE below the boom of the rigger.  The "slider" should then slide down the line to where it will stop.  How deep?  Who knows, it just works sometimes.  You mentioned to the rigger cable in your question, do you actually mean stacker???

2) I don't think you need rubber bands for braid off boards.  We run ours in regular Scotty and/or Weldon clips.  WE only use rubber bands if running wire off the boards.

Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Sliders, rubber band releases 2007/07/25 01:06:44 (permalink)
    I agree with Storm Warning on the slider.

Braid is tough with rubber bands! We always use bands it hepls to see small fish and light hits on downrigger rods and is a must on the planer boards. On then downrigger the flex in the band will transmit to your rod tip when you get a hit or small fish dragging (We check our lines every ten to fifteen minutes anyway). The problem with braid is how slippery it is like Spiderwire(which I dont like) or Fireline your line will actually slip through the bands you really have to tighten your band on the line. I would recommend Mono on downriggers. I bought braid at Poor Richards that is medium or dark green that does have a slippery coating on it. It works okay but not as strong as Fireline. If you run bands on shower curtain clips or regular planer clips you can see if your dragging fish by how far the band is stretched. I hope this helps. Good Luck Fishing!
                                                               Big Fathead
                                                               "Hawg Wild"
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Sliders, rubber band releases 2007/07/25 01:11:26 (permalink)
    Correction: Poor Richards line does not have a slippery coating on it.

To set up your band on boards just loop the band through itself around your line and pull band as tight as you can to tighten around line attach the loop of the band to your clip or shower curtain ring and let out on the board line. Good Luck
    tmccart388
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Sliders, rubber band releases 2007/08/01 22:06:56 (permalink)
    Thanks Guys, I think the light bulb finally went off....actually I did have a guy tell me he runs a free slider off his rigger cable, guess that was only part of my confusion. One thing for sure, I would recommend every braid and mono line rods with same diameter, or you never really know how deep and how far back to drop 'em off.
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: Sliders, rubber band releases 2007/08/02 12:30:11 (permalink)
    I've seen guys run them off the rigger cable instead of a stacker, but I don't trust them.  Take your stacker clip and hook it to the cable, just don't clip the other release to the cable to "fix" it.  This does require a second rod.

Jump to: