Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
chrisrowboat
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 688
  • Reward points: 0
2007/07/02 17:13:45 (permalink)

Discussion on a memorial for our friend Terry Yocum

Just put this up as a separate post to discuss what we want to do for a memorial to Terry. A lot has been brought up before on his other post.

Perhaps this way we all can see and voice our opinion for a unified idea. Then we can proceed. Ok?
  A few thoughts that I have are:1 A bench in remembrance to Terry on water he has fished.2 A stone in the wall at Walnut Access with his name on.I don't like this as he did not like that area but, it is up to every one else3 A donation to his family.4 A raffle with the proceeds going to family.5 handicapped access. I know I did my part of bringing up ideas and caring him to the creek. He did like flowing water to fish;)
If you have more lets see them.Thanks,Chris Niebauer
post edited by chrisrowboat - 2007/07/03 07:58:09

135 Replies Related Threads

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Discussion on a memorial for our friend Terry Yocum 2007/07/02 18:45:59 (permalink)
    I'm all for doing something like this

Since I know how strong Terry felt about Stream access how about getting with the PAFBC and about naming one of the new land acquisitions or easements for Terry  If it happens to end up on the East side of Erie I would gladly volunteer to take care of it after its up

Just my thoughts

Thanks for doing this Chris

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6360
    RE: Discussion on a memorial for our friend Terry Yocum 2007/07/02 19:31:37 (permalink)
    Chris,
        Glad you are taking charge.   I'll send up $40.00 for a capstone on the wall @ Walnut if that is the way we go.  Drop me an e-mail.   Also if there is going to be any naming of a section of the creek send me a petition sheet and I'll sign it, and get some of the KY crowd to sign it too.   There is no reason we can't have both a capstone and an access naming petition.  We have to buy one, and the other is bestowed by the PF&BC.  We can get to work on the stone, and then petition the Fish Commission to name a section of the stream after Terry.
    post edited by indsguiz - 2007/07/02 19:37:37

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    saxon1
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: Discussion on a memorial for our friend Terry Yocum 2007/07/02 19:44:33 (permalink)
    Sounds like a plan is in the works then, good deal, count me in also...Naming a section of stream somewhere for him would be GREAT....

Mike

elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Discussion on a memorial for our friend Terry Yocum 2007/07/02 20:03:04 (permalink)
    count me in - keep us posted. thanks, Dave
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8511
    RE: Discussion on a memorial for our friend Terry Yocum 2007/07/02 20:19:40 (permalink)
    Thanks Chris . A stone , bench, ect. I,m in for 40.00.

Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Discussion on a memorial for our friend Terry Yocum 2007/07/02 20:49:18 (permalink)
    I am in too Chris.  Also, talk with CR500.  He has some ideas as well.  I think a capstone at Walnut is great, as well as a bench, or whatever.  I also think doing something for his family is a good idea as well.

pax vobiscum +
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: Discussion on a memorial for our friend Terry Yocum 2007/07/02 23:35:08 (permalink)
    I think all the ideas are great.  I would love to see maybe a FishErie sponsored event every year in Terry's name.  Something like the First Annual Terry Yocum Stealhead kick-off, or something of that nature.  Any ideas on that?

<---  The Holy Trinity
    mossy oak
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 883
    RE: Discussion on a memorial for our friend Terry Yocum 2007/07/03 03:26:43 (permalink)
    Loopy,

I've been silent to this point.  What Terry and I had will probably never happen again in my lifetime.  I listened about problems with other members, burnt bridges, and other issues.  Through it all he always managed to push me and inspire me to be a better me.  He had a way of being a hinderance...pulling me down with issues that I only wish I could give him answers to.  He also had a way of pushing me past the plateaus I had reached in life.  He made me better myself.  He always had a spark that burned into me.

I'm not perfect, God knows, and what I am going to propose is very difficult for all.  However, I feel it is something he would be proud of.  I think we should do something to raise money every year that we donate AS A GROUP to a charitable organization.  A golf outing would be a huge task, but something along those lines is what I was thinking. 

Just the thoughts of a guy that doesn't know what to say at this point....just trying to carry on what he would've of done.  BE UNSELFISH..................

MO
    chrisrowboat
    Expert Angler
    RE: Discussion on a memorial for our friend Terry Yocum 2007/07/03 07:54:21 (permalink)
    A fishing tournament? ;) Catch and release a must.
    JMFLYFISHER
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: Discussion on a memorial for our friend Terry Yocum 2007/07/03 07:57:33 (permalink)
    Chris,
    Count me in for whatever the group decides, but for what it is worth, I do like the idea of having an access named after him.  I am hard pressed to think of a better memorial.  Just the same, everyone has some wonderful ideas, let me know what I can do to help!
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: Discussion on a memorial for our friend Terry Yocum 2007/07/03 12:07:58 (permalink)
    How bout a raffle/banquet with proceeds going 50/50 to terrys family and to a charitable organization. Then after that we have a memorial where we put the capstone or bench somewhere. then have a catch and release fishing tourney where that money raised goes to his family and where ever else we donate the rest to. And we have the tourney every year to make sure terry or his family is never forgotten.   

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
    -Steve Rinella
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Discussion on a memorial for our friend Terry Yocum 2007/07/03 17:16:58 (permalink)
    kyler16,
          A fishing tourney is a good idea; but, there arises the problem of who is going to organize it, when & where will it be held, and who is going to be responsible for the money, and the decisions regarding the tourney.   I, myself, would love to see a tourney but the practicality of a permanent tourney is just not there as I see it.  I'm all for the capstone and the naming of a section for Terry.   These are do-able and self sustaining. Don't want to rain on your idea.  Sorry.  There are enough people here on the board that remember Terry and want to contribute that all it needs is one person, preferably from the Erie area, to take charge, (I think someone may already have), and this thing would "take off".  I'm also in favor of any excess monies being given to his family.

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Discussion on a memorial for our friend Terry Yocum 2007/07/03 18:36:34 (permalink)
    Im in for whatever goes down here to some degree, god knows im not the richest man on earth.

I love all the mention about fishing but you guys are missing another big part of Terry's life and that was hunting and his love for working dogs. What about somthing like a team effort, state wide where us guys who own gun dogs volunteer to take kids out during the youth only pheasant hunts. Kids can kick brush for hours, if they arent finding birds, they arent having fun.

Lets not forget that aspect. I know this is a fishing board but im sure some of you guys spent time with terrys dogs.

Ill donate the time to design and build a site, others can contribute to the cost of running the site. We would need to limit the time spent as to serve as many children as possible. May even come down to a first come first serve kind of thing, maybe even a raffle of all applicants, that would be fun.
    post edited by jlh42581 - 2007/07/03 18:39:17
    chasinrainbows
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 189
    RE: Discussion on a memorial for our friend Terry Yocum 2007/07/03 20:14:02 (permalink)
    i have dogs but they are bunny dogs
    mr.fisherman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: Discussion on a memorial for our friend Terry Yocum 2007/07/03 21:12:00 (permalink)
    Today Youghman and I arrived earlier than I thought we would. So since I never saw Raystown Lake we took a look to burn time and enjoy the views and decide where to fish it another day. Driving the road upstream along the outflow from the dam I noticed passing another road. The road sign was Yocum Dr. Anyone fish this area and ever notice that road? Makes me wonder about that find on this day with my never ending search for new places to fish. Maybe the great sights and finds this day that might not have happened otherwise was a gift from our friend Terry with that road sign stating that.
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: Discussion on a memorial for our friend Terry Yocum 2007/07/03 21:54:16 (permalink)
    I think any attempt at honoring Terry is good.  My initial thoughts of an access named in his honor were based on a desire to honor him in his beloved "Chrome Dome".  Other events/places/objects done on his behalf could very well happen if people put their minds to it.  Annual events would be difficult, I think, though not out of the question.  Maybe it would be more possible to piggy-back with an existing event like the Big Run Banquet(a favorite of Terry's).  Obviously, that would have to go through the PSA, as that is their fundraiser.  If the end-result were improved access to the fish, I can't see why they would refuse.

I have been contacted off-board about several ideas.  It sounds like naming a stretch of stream and possibly improving it to allow greater access for the disabled fisherperson is a very "do-able" thing.  There possibly is money already availabe to start towards this goal.  Memorial stones can be done as well.  Educational field experiences for youths should be another "do-able" idea.  He was an avid photographer, as well, so there is another avenue to pursue.  I just made my first trip to Pymatuning(sp?), and saw the bald eagle sight-seeing area.  If anyone has an idea of a similar location down-state that would be suitable as a memorial, by all means, speak up.  Share ideas and share energy.  It's all good.

I vote for a memorial stone now, and for planning to be done for larger endeavors.
    Youghman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 310
    RE: Discussion on a memorial for our friend Terry Yocum 2007/07/03 21:54:23 (permalink)
    Brad- I never made the connection, but I think you're on to something about a sign from our friend.
    Thanks again for the ride and the company.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Discussion on a memorial for our friend Terry Yocum 2007/07/06 09:37:02 (permalink)
    Gentlemen,
          I am bringing this back to the top to voice a concern.   When Terry passed, a whole lot of people jumped on the bandwagon and wanted to do something in his memory.  And yet, as far as I know, no one has taken the lead and started the process.   HAS ANYBODY? ?  If there is a project going on could we have updates?  Now, some people may see this as "copping out" but I would do it, however I live 500 miles away and do not have access to Walnut or any PF&BC office to facilitate the transactions.  Is it possible that We have forgotton Terry this quick?  I hope not.  Sorry for what appears to be an angry thread, but isn't there anybody from the Erie area who is taking charge?  If you are taking charge, then I'm sorry, just let me know what you need, and I'll try to provide it.

chasinrainbows
    Avid Angler
    RE: Discussion on a memorial for our friend Terry Yocum 2007/07/06 16:28:51 (permalink)
    I am waiting to hear back from the pfbc.  I allready put a call into them.
    chrisrowboat
    Expert Angler
    RE: Discussion on a memorial for our friend Terry Yocum 2007/07/06 17:42:02 (permalink)
    I have picked up a brochure for the memorial wall.
    I have talked to a few people about an access area but have yet to contact the PAFBC as it may be easer to happen at the township level. I am gathering info to present and hoped this forum would also provide some more ideas.
    Chris
    chasinrainbows
    Avid Angler
    RE: Discussion on a memorial for our friend Terry Yocum 2007/07/06 19:28:04 (permalink)
    I think you are right about the twnship.
    Cripsbrother
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Discussion on a memorial for our friend Terry Yocum 2007/07/06 22:19:35 (permalink)
    Our fathers family was from that area, but that is a different Yocum clan, you must have been up near the spillway of the Lake, terry and I fished the spillway quite a bit. we would put the boat in at Corbins Island. Nice fishing year around
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Discussion on a memorial for our friend Terry Yocum 2007/07/09 10:11:50 (permalink)
    Gentlemen,
         Just bumping this back to the top where it should stay for a while.

Youghman
    Expert Angler
    RE: Discussion on a memorial for our friend Terry Yocum 2007/07/09 19:08:20 (permalink)
    Bump!
    To our Northern brothers; chasinrainbows and chrisrowboat thank you for your legwork on getting something started for Terry.  This could be something that unites all FOT.
     I'm down here in Westmoreland Co. and if I can help in any way please let me know.
    indsguiz, I agree w/ you. Please let's not forget Terry. I'm sure there are many others who feel the same. 
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Discussion on a memorial for our friend Terry Yocum 2007/07/09 19:34:35 (permalink)
    How about naming the bridge at the stop sign hole after Terry?
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Discussion on a memorial for our friend Terry Yocum 2007/07/09 20:25:19 (permalink)
    I'm sure there are persons exploring the options and will inform us along the way. There are very dedicated people who frequent this site and can be counted on to further a good project like this one as long as it doesn't get too complicated. I for one live pretty far away but not too far to send $ support once something gets finalized. The easiest would be the stone marker on the wall at the marina. I know it's been said the projects and manchester were not Terrys favorite spots but it's a start. A lot of good ideas, some do-able others I don't know. I'll watch this thread to see what comes and if I can help, my E-mail is on my profile.   Dave
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Discussion on a memorial for our friend Terry Yocum 2007/07/10 17:18:03 (permalink)
    Bump ! ! !
       Chris and Chasin, keep us posted if you need things.

Youghman
    Expert Angler
    RE: Discussion on a memorial for our friend Terry Yocum 2007/07/10 19:06:34 (permalink)
    Bump!
    Ditto to what elephanthead said.

FisherChic
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 789
    RE: Discussion on a memorial for our friend Terry Yocum 2007/07/11 18:26:05 (permalink)
    I don't get to this board as often as I like and it saddens me to come here and read the news of Terry's passing.

Terry was a sweet man and We'd like to contribute to whatever you decide to do in his memory, would somebody please email me through this board when the decision is made?
    Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
    Jump to: