Gander closing again

Author
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
  • Reward points: 0
2019/11/23 09:19:55 (permalink)

Gander closing again

I see the Gander store in Niles is on it's way out . I'm not sure but I think this is the 3rd time this store location has closed. Big store too that was completely remodeled just a few years ago after Gander Mountain failed. Most stuff is picked over now, they have had 40% off sale for months now.  Looks like online sales is wiping out all the big store shopping ....too bad I prefer both . 

10 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Gander closing again 2019/11/23 09:37:37 (permalink)
    Capt. Gander Mountain is now owned by "Camping World". The owner plans to shut down many of the Gander locations while converting other outlets to hiking, yaking, camping, RV sales, etc.

Law suits have been filed by shareholders attempting to stop the intended changes.

In the meantime, take advantage of the great deals..... if in fact the deals exist.

the info below was taken from an article in the following link.

https://gearjunkie.com/gander-rv-camping-world

Last year, in a move that raised industry eyebrows, Illinois-based RV-outfitter Camping World acquired the belly-up outdoors retailer Gander Mountain at a bankruptcy auction. The immediate ramifications weren’t clear, though many speculated the acquisition would add more general outdoors and sporting clout to Camping World’s portfolio.

But last week, the brand announced it would leverage the Gander brand to increase its RV footprint. It’s honing in on areas “where Camping World is underpenetrated and has tremendous opportunity to grow its RV market.”

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Panfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 799
    Re: Gander closing again 2019/11/23 10:29:19 (permalink)
    At the Johnstown store, they took down the Gander Outdoors sign and put up a Camping World sign.   I was in the store about a month ago and they did not have much inventory left.   Store was not open on Saturday.  
    post edited by Panfisher - 2019/11/24 10:07:40

The only thing better than 1 day of fishing is 2 days of fishing.
    PaYakr
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 57
    Re: Gander closing again 2019/11/23 12:08:59 (permalink)
    I started going to the Johnstown store after the sales got to 40% off (they gradually went from 30% to 70% over a couple months).  I hesitated making the trip since last time they closed their going out of business inventory was dismal, but glad I did.  The inventory was great and sales were better.  Once the discounts fell to 70%, I started seeing small business owners come in and clean whole aisles out though.

The Johnstown store may have been a fluke though.  It was my understanding from staff that they initially thought the store would just convert over to RV world, and wasn't closing.  Even when the prices fell below 40% off, they were still getting trucks of inventory in.  Apparently, other stores in the region were sending all of their clearance items to Johnstown to unload for a short period.  According to Google, the Johnstown store is permanently closed.

If you have a Gander going out of business, I would take a trip over.  I was pleasantly surprised by the deals I found, and am still kicking myself over some I past up.

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Gander closing again 2019/11/23 18:27:33 (permalink)
    Passed a "Gander RV" on I-49 in Arkansas and just another one on I-40 in Oklahoma.

As soon as I'm set up... be returning to the "Gander RV" in Oklahoma. We're just that close...... OH BOY!!! 😝

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

EMitch
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1033
    Re: Gander closing again 2019/11/24 09:19:08 (permalink)
    I don't know what it is about Gander that they can't survive. I bought lots of stuff from them back in the '70s & early eighties. Back then, there seemed to be only two choices for mail order with good prices, Gander Mountain and Cabelas. (I can't recall when BassPro came along).Each had just 1 signature store. Gander in Wilmont, Wi. and Cabelas in Sydney, Nebraska. It seemed that both were wildly successful, Cabelas maybe more so. Then Cabelas began to branch out, with big beautiful stores in different parts of the country, and Gander went down. Then in their second attempt, Gander put stores in malls, such as the one in Washington, Pa, as compared to having an independent building, such as Cabelas or Field & Stream. F&S is owned by****s Sporting Goods, and DSGs are usually found in malls, so go figure? Now BassPro has their signature store in Springfield, Mo., with branch stores all over, yet they've merged with Cabelas 'cause they made 10 times the money that Cabelas did, so why not buy the competition, raise retail prices, and make more money. Less competition = less choices = higher prices = more profit = the American way. As a sportsman, I still have products I purchased through Gander. 3 of my rifles still have their Redfield & Leopold scopes on them 45 years later.
    post edited by EMitch - 2019/11/24 09:22:11

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Gander closing again 2019/11/25 17:26:31 (permalink)
    Please join me in welcoming the new Gander ..........RV??

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/11/25 17:38:25

Attachment(s)

PaYakr
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 57
    Re: Gander closing again 2019/12/06 19:28:30 (permalink)
    As of today, the Greensburg location just got their call. Everything 50% off. Guns and ammunition is 25% off. Expecting doors to close in 3 weeks.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4009
    Re: Gander closing again 2019/12/07 11:15:15 (permalink)
    That stinks....might have to make a run out there....
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Gander closing again 2019/12/07 11:20:31 (permalink)
    Only a matter of time.

Coming to an area near you..... soon.

GANDER RV annnnd PURPLE TREES 🙉
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/12/07 11:24:02

Attachment(s)

Bays Larry
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Gander closing again 2020/04/15 08:16:55 (permalink)
    I'm in Minnesota and the Gander store nearby me is not closing. I need not worry but the store you are talking about might be closing soon in your area. I also need not worry about I can return any purchased product from the date of purchase within 60 days in its original condition keeping in mind Gander Mountain Return Policy. The product bought as COD cannot be returned. For more customer care number of the Gander Mountain is tel:18662576543       
    post edited by Bays Larry - 2020/04/21 04:13:01
    Jump to: