Helpful ReplyLake Arthur 2019

Page: << < ..678910 Showing page 10 of 10
Author
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9684
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Lake Arthur 2019 2019/11/21 15:50:57 (permalink)
Probably a wise decision.  That lake is always windy.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3349
Re: Lake Arthur 2019 2019/11/21 18:10:09 (permalink)
 Caught a bunch ov minnies out ov the yard pond yesterday for today's outing. Spent today working on the truck instead though  Started raining now so hope to get out for a hr. or so after the morning rain with 42* & 15 mph breeze should be fine. Have too much on the plate for fishin' but gunna try a little harder to get out.

Least have heater in the truck working great for now 

crappy
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Lake Arthur 2019 2019/11/21 20:54:33 (permalink)
Yeah, heater at this time of year is much more important.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: Lake Arthur 2019 2019/11/21 23:38:37 (permalink)
  Yeah, it feels good! Son just bought a place up the rd. a little with 2 garages & a finished barn that was set up for a wood shop. Will be nice not working on vehicles/boats outside in the elements for now on. Taking stainless stove pipes up tomorrow for wood stoves. Bringing back cases ov fire brick for a blacksmith 

Heading out in a few mins. for a dozen crawlers & if I don't wimp out for tomorrow I'll give a report good, bad or so so.

crappy
post edited by crappiefisher - 2019/11/21 23:57:10
rippinlip
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2146
Re: Lake Arthur 2019 2019/11/22 21:14:27 (permalink)
How does that David Alan Coe song go? "I got a heater in the truck.....I don't give a **** and I'm off to the rodeo...."

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
bubbaman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 239
Re: Lake Arthur 2019 2019/11/22 22:22:37 (permalink)
just in case the idiot is online soon. It doesn't matter if you go 2 mile or 2 yds you can't use your 150hp on pymy. and common courtesy you don't back down the ramp and then go through a 15 min ready the boat routine, you do that in the ready section before the ramp.   I FEEL BETTER NOW , SORRY EVERYONE !
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: Lake Arthur 2019 2019/11/22 23:20:21 (permalink)
 Tried a swamp for a short time with only smaller Crappie caught.

Kevin, I still have a 45 ov The Rodeo Song by Showdown somewhere. 

post edited by crappiefisher - 2019/11/22 23:37:29
rippinlip
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2146
Re: Lake Arthur 2019 2019/11/24 10:36:03 (permalink)
Chris the last time I got Crappies at the Bu**** spot they were between the beaver hut and the old pond. They were in the weeds.

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: Lake Arthur 2019 2019/11/24 22:33:04 (permalink)
 Yeah, Greg & I did ok in that area with the canoe back in April.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: Lake Arthur 2019 2019/12/02 00:13:33 (permalink)
 Might be done for the year. Out a few days ago with my brother for a hr. & a half. Fish were scattered in the area with 5 L/M caught before the Perch / Gills & a Crappie landed. Brother caught a decent Pike right at dark & he was done. Started getting into the Crappie good after dark but felt bad for my brother waiting in his car so called it quits.

Next time I fish with him late in the day I'll drive separate.

crappy
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Lake Arthur 2019 2019/12/02 09:35:44 (permalink)
Chris - 
Good to hear you guys got into some.  Nice to chat for a little.  I couldn't buy a bite over there.  I ended up getting 10 perch where I moved to.  One was 11.5", most of the others were 8" or smaller, with a few over.  Most just wanted to play with my minnow and not commit.  The switch just never turned on like it seems to.  For how calm it was, I was shocked to not see any pike/LM moving around where I was.  Usually at least hear or see wake from them chasing.  Overall, much slower day than I was hoping and got dark much sooner than I was expecting...  Not much going on the hour that I stuck around at night too.  Three bites that I missed.  Probably hanging it up myself.  Worst year on Arthur for me.  Boat issues had me passing on days that I'd normally try to get out.  When I finally got it fixed, the spring bite was done and summer doldrums weren't giving up any fish.  This fall only made it out a handful of times and the fall bite just didn't happen for me.  Hopefully next year is a rebound.
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 727
Re: Lake Arthur 2019 2019/12/03 09:11:44 (permalink)
Pork - I'd say the same.  We had a terrible year on Arthur also.  Well, post spring.  The first trip on my one man rig in April or May I did real good on crappies, but the rest of the year was a bust.  We didn't really have a fall here... weather was a mess.  I think the fish were just over it as much as we were.  

Spent the summer in the pool instead of on the lake looking for perch during the hot days.  That was probably for the best.  I'm a little tempted to re-power my boat with something in the 90hp range and just hit Delaware bay / upper Chesapeake 3 or 4 trips instead of regular Arthur trips.  But I probably won't.  

Pulled a 27" gag grouper out of Tampa Bay last week.  Highlight of my year by a long stretch.  
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Lake Arthur 2019 2019/12/03 10:14:13 (permalink)
Sam - Congrats on the grouper!

With the whole Arthur bust thing, I had a rather banner year in the salt myself (for my standards)...  I landed two stripers in the 28"-30" range in the spring (big for me), with a few shorts as well and a few slammer blues in two trips to NJ.  My short trip to the Gulf came up empty handed (one day run to the Gulf from Orlando), but a few days later my cousin took us into the ICW behind New Smyrna (too rough to go in the ocean) and was hammering a variety of smaller fish (my brother got a snook).  Summer I got into a bunch of keeper Spanish mackerel with just as many pulling but getting off and a few table fare sized blues/whiting.  Probably the best mid summer vacation fishing wise without charter help.  Fall, I had two trips (NJ & DE) that ended up with close to 50 stripers (15"-26"), none keeper size but still by far my most in a fall.  Got a few dogfish and skates to add to the pullage too (tried dogfish for the first time and not bad).  

If that was the norm or slow as it is to many, I would agree with the 90HP and roll out to DE/MD bays.  The drive to either is horrible though, especially trailering, then another $500 minimum for a weekend stay.  To maybe get into fish, or maybe hit crazy weather to keep the boat from getting out after trailering.  It is rough to plan those trips, usually want to spend more than just the weekend, so have to clear work and weekend stuff well in advance.  Then find a good place to stay at a decent price.  Unless I am going for work, my trips are usually planned out 2 months in advance.  Even for work, usually 2-3 weeks in advance, and never know how the weather/tides are going to be.  Then your options locally are filled with jetskis and other yahoos that are worse than the Arthur yahoos.  If Erie were an hour or less, then definitely worth it, IMO.  

No doubt good call on the pool over the summer.  Our best day was maybe 10 perch combined between 2-3 in a day, maybe one over 9"...  I think maybe 2 cats all summer, and that was the extent of trying to go deeper water.  Hours of sweating and trying to entice the fish deeper, lead to hitting shallower water already frustrated, then ready to toss my gear in the water after nothing shallower either.  Worked creek channels, road beds, sunken cribs/trees, nothing!!!  The spring should have been slamming.  For being stuck to about 400 yards from the launch, we did rather well.  One of my best Arthur crappie in size and found a good bit of holding areas, since we were forced to really pound that area close by.  Agree 100% on fall.  It went from summer to winter with crap weather any time that I had free.  Last week, the weather was fine, fishing was okay, but after a year of nothing, getting out again for okay, just isn't appealing.  I'm not ready to give up on the lake, but another year like this year, and I might have to go get a set of golf clubs...  

crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: Lake Arthur 2019 2020/03/11 14:16:45 (permalink)
 Tim, Yeah it was nice to bump into you. Hope this year starts out better for you with the boat also. I'm splitting time between Arthur & Pymy again this yr.

GLHF&TC,
crappy
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Lake Arthur 2019 2020/03/11 14:52:51 (permalink)
Crappy, it is 2020, what are you posting on this old thread for?  

Is Arthur ice free?  I need to get up there.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: Lake Arthur 2019 2020/03/11 20:31:26 (permalink)
 Talk about being behind   on lake being open water.

Visited for a bit to watch at the Linesville launch this afternoon. Few people out catching Perch. 12 tooo 1 on keeper sz. but less than a minute for a strike from what I witnessed. Be great place to take a kid for some fun the next couple weeks.

Saw 2 Eagles nestled together on a tree top near camp on way back. Darned camera took too long to load & one ov 'em flew the coop before I could get the shot. 

crappy
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Lake Arthur 2019 2020/03/15 21:52:42 (permalink)
I made it out a little today. Thanks Jerry at O’Donnell’s. Awesome guy, highly recommend! He set me up with a bow, arrows and other stuff. Then taught me how to pull my head out of my rear and shoot the thing correctly!

Fishing was ho hum. Didn’t get skunked, but didn’t light things up.

Thanks to the slob that left his/her trash in the parking spot pull off on Burton RD. Thanks also to whoever decided to stop and put the trash on my windshield. Not sure if you noticed while trashing my truck, that the trash was clearly a few days old (rain water in the Dr Pepper can and Mayo packs and styrofoam containers licked clean by raccoons). And yes, it is currently in my empty minnow bucket, which was were it was going after I was done fishing. Think a little next time you think your are doing some sort of good deed.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Lake Arthur 2019 2020/03/16 23:53:33 (permalink)
Man-😳-Man I know it takes all kinds but seriously?? Somebody picked up trash left by others and put it on your truck, Pork? That sucks!!! Dam, I'm glad I'm out of town, so ya know it wasn't me.

I guess maybe, this won't be a good time to discuss your new bow so I'll just wait til I hear more from you.

OH..... I trust you didn't catch any stupid fish???😬

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Lake Arthur 2019 2020/03/17 08:22:18 (permalink)
Two of the dumb crappie.  The stupid ones must have just been sucking on the tail ends of my Bobby Garlands...  Not great, but not horrible first day out for the year.
Roy
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: Lake Arthur 2019 2020/03/28 10:09:50 (permalink)
Only been to Arthur three times in the last week. Social distancing.
Gills, crappies, perch, CARP, largemouth and lost a small pike. Not bunches but haven't been skunked yet.

Page: << < ..678910 Showing page 10 of 10
Jump to: