Helpful ReplyHot!The garden and farm thread

Page: << < ..56 Showing page 56 of 56
Author
Hot tuna 1
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 40
  • Reward points: 0
Re: The garden thread 2023/08/21 21:17:58 (permalink)
No more tomato sauce, please. I call uncle,lol.
Zucchini is coming hard now and we're into baking moving into the week. We also use it for our homemade dog food.
My second round of cukes are just starting so I'll be head over heals in those soon.
I had a good deal on lobsters and some clams I saved from Rhode Island.
Lot's of foods to fill the freezers for the long months of winter.
Like I said, we're the meats and produce here in our homestead.
Got some good looking 4 Legg with antlers wandering around on cameras too.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3425
Re: The garden thread 2023/09/11 13:42:39 (permalink)
2nd flight tomatoes and cukes are cranking right now. I guess it helps when it's high 80s in September. That stupid zucchini plants came back to life๐Ÿ™„. Flowering like crazy and I've picked 6 in the last week or so. I'm going to break up my hardneck garlic and see how much I'm going to use for seed. I'm thinking of sticking 3 to 350 in this year. We'll see.
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2023/10/09 07:55:18 (permalink)
Everyone getting their garlic in this week? I'm hoping I can get in by midweek. We were just too busy around here last week to get anything done.
fishin coyote
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1668
Re: The garden thread 2023/10/09 10:29:16 (permalink)
Looking to pick the last of my peppers, get my garlic in and get the rest of the beds cleaned up for winter this week after work.  I still have 1 raised bed with lettuce that should be ready in a week or so if the temps hold out

Nothing is Free!!
Reward equals Effort

pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2023/10/09 11:35:19 (permalink)
Same here. I have a last batch of lettuce and odds n ends in my raised bed. I'm hoping to get a few more tomatoes, if I can get to em before this first frost.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: The garden thread 2023/10/09 20:42:50 (permalink)
Been crazy weather. Can't catch a break on a day off from the J.O.B. to keep up with weekend rain.
Planted my first 120 cloves of new strain garlic on September 30th. Just spent a rain deluge weekend at deer camp preparing for November 4th game start. Planted remainder 240 cloves Sunday.
Lettuce, spinach and jalapenos are only active vegetables. We canned plenty peppers, beans, tomato sauce. Ground and frozen lots of zucchini.
Brussels were a bust. Cabbage did good but without a root cellar, dosen't store well here.
I'll be putting straw on my garlic beds this week.
Time for us to focus on another piece of harvesting foods for the family .
We don't buy meat here. Its raised or harvested.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3349
Re: The garden thread 2023/10/10 11:29:24 (permalink)
Didn't plant one thing this year other than flowers 
 The firewood supply is good for 3 plus years at all the properties though.
 All I picked this year was some Dandelions, Goldenrod, mushrooms, fruit and berries. Oldest son had a good year with his crops other than the Groundhogs wiped out a section at one of his places.

Other son hasn't had time to fish doing his tackle shows 4-6 times a week. Toby Keith sold him everything he didn't want when he became the new owner of a tackle company. Last thing my son needed was more tackle. He is having success unloading it at $1,000 avg. per hour but hasn't put much of a dent in his inventory yet. 

Haven't hunted in years now.  Going out today to forage for Fungi across the street and fish down the road on Thursday so that will be good. 
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2023/10/10 15:16:38 (permalink)
Very productive couple of days here๐Ÿ’ช. Came home from work and stuck that garlic in. Didn't take me as long as I thought. Just a little under 300 planted. TODAY I took the 30 off and put my 20 back on the boat. Swept up the garage, took some stuff to shed for storage and tackled the raised bed. Got a bunch more lettuce and some stray parsley. Local lakes are on the turn big time. Give it another week ๐ŸŽฃ๐ŸŽฃ๐ŸŽฃ.
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2024/02/07 10:32:07 (permalink)
This weather has me thinking about getting a jump on the raised beds. ๐Ÿค”. Although it is wayyy too early to think about starting any seeds, I suppose another week or so and you could drop some lettuce and other early crops in. How's everyone's garlic? My hardneck looks to be doing well.
fishin coyote
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1668
Re: The garden thread 2024/02/07 14:28:03 (permalink)
I haven't uncovered my garlic yet to see. I did however clean out the chicken coop over the weekend and top dressed the raised beds. I also had some fall planted lettuce that never grew more than 2-3" tall it still looks good so maybe it will take off.

Nothing is Free!!
Reward equals Effort

hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: The garden thread 2024/02/17 12:01:48 (permalink)
So to visit again I'm happy to hear your garlic is doing well.
With the extremely mild winter, my garlic never lost their initial sprout and has continued to send energy to the bulb. I expect a fantastic harvest this season.
As coyote also said, my lettuce and spinach produced right through December .

Today was a break from the 9 weeks I've been traveling north to walk on hardwater.
Organized my seed starting program and planted 3 varieties of peppers.
In about 2 weeks I'll start the bulk of vegetables.
We placed our order for meat chicks to arrive on may 6th and filled out the cut sheet for our cow, which is hanging and will be processed by the cobleskill suny agricultural college students.

Soon the weather will warm to get more outdoors projects started and the mighty muddy will be full of ocean run striped bass and mght need someone to clean the pool.
Monday I'm heading back north for possibly the last trip on hardwater.
It's been a challenging ice season but always rewarding to have fresh fish for the table.
Peace and tuna
post edited by hot tuna - 2024/02/17 12:06:06

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2024/03/16 14:06:52 (permalink)
Did 2 flats of tomatoe seeds today. Mostly saucers with about 3 dozen slicers mixed in. I won't start any vine stuff until later. Last year I started them the same time and they all croaked before it was time to get them in. Good luck Gents. It's time to grow again. ๐Ÿ™
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2024/04/16 20:14:39 (permalink)
I got everything in peat pots. 30 sum Romas and atleast that many German Plums. Friend of mine gave me a bunch of seeds, different varieties, that I have about 2 dozen each. An Amish Paste, Mortage Lifter, Opalka and another kind of heirloom slicer. I also gave some seeds to the local greenhouse and she's starting me a whole flat of those German Plums. Needless to say, looks like I'll be expanding again this year. I finally got the raised bed prepped. I'm going to try and get my lettuce and herbs in this weekend. Garlic looks great, also. Maybe this weather will finally give us a break so we can actually get some work done. Here's to another great growing year๐Ÿคž๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
Page: << < ..56 Showing page 56 of 56
Jump to: