Gear review

Page: << < ..67 Showing page 7 of 7
Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Gear review 2019/12/20 20:55:47 (permalink)
One last thing.
I do not do venison roasts. They are dry as a popcorn fart. No natural fats to create juices. Very unlike pork, beef or chicken.
All things to make them tender and juicy must be added. I can add these things from my livestock but only reason I don't is because we use it individually on its own.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2019/12/21 17:19:21 (permalink)
I don't worry about the sky is falling stuff nor some regulations that are written in non contexts.
Will I cut dead firewood to heat my house, yes. Will I re use products that may be deemed disposable, yes.

Point being, if your a year round sportsman and buying single propane tanks, its not the thing to do. I confiscate many once used tanks at campgrounds to repurpose.
I will get 2-3 years life out of landfill things.
Just finished up 18 tanks on a cost of less than $12.00.
I always check with soapy water for O ring leaks

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: Gear review 2019/12/22 21:09:56 (permalink)
hot tuna
I don't worry about the sky is falling stuff nor some regulations that are written in non contexts.
Will I cut dead firewood to heat my house, yes. Will I re use products that may be deemed disposable, yes.

Point being, if your a year round sportsman and buying single propane tanks, its not the thing to do. I confiscate many once used tanks at campgrounds to repurpose.
I will get 2-3 years life out of landfill things.
Just finished up 18 tanks on a cost of less than $12.00.
I always check with soapy water for O ring leaks

I do the same I pick them up off the ice. Usually get one per trip. Much of cheaper than single use

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2019/12/23 22:15:48 (permalink)
I know I've done a ice cleat review before.
The ones I'd did uldge were more a crampons. I still think they are a good deal at a below $20.00 tag.
They are however chains and tangs. Not something I'd wear in a stream or so much just around the house.
What I did discover was a fantastic new gear I'm pleased with in my past 2 weeks of use.
They are a sandal cleat like the old school korkers.
Attachments connect very well and easily.
Replaceable carbide spikes.
Retail is about 80.00. I paid wholesale at $45.00.
I'm gonna get lots of use out of these on hard and moving water

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2019/12/23 22:26:11 (permalink)
This is a size lg on my size 10 muck boots.
The max boot size for that sandal but fits perfectly.
My sons wear boot size 13. They have xxl size sandal cleats.
Just giving a perspective

Attachment(s)

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Gear review 2019/12/23 23:28:01 (permalink)
When refilling do you guys put the 1lb bottles in a freezer first or set your 15lb tank in warm water?

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2019/12/24 08:36:56 (permalink)
I keep the empty 1 lbs in garage, this time of year the are already cold but yes I do stick in freezer if they need.
The bbq tank stays warm in man cave.
A fresh full bbq tank will yield about 14 FULL 1lbers. After that they only fill about 2/3 full. My total 1 lbers are 16-18 tanks.
The bbq tank will still have some left but not enough to fill a tank . I'll stick it on my grill until its empty

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Gear review 2019/12/24 09:43:49 (permalink)
Thanks HT.

Merry Christmas to you and all of yours.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: Gear review 2019/12/24 11:42:54 (permalink)
My finding are as HT with the refills. I recently got some heated socks to try out .........

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2020/01/03 17:23:57 (permalink)
Ok I received a bread machine for Christmas.
Hamilton beach model 29882.
I've been putting it through the paces in 2 weeks. I'm pleased with the results for sure so far. I've made 5 loaves of various breads and 6 packages pizza dough.
Everything has worked perfectly using all my homegrown ingredients besides the necessities of store.
I just stopped to get 10 lbs more flour to really crank out dough.
This will be frozen and use for everything from pizza to chicken wraps.
The bonus is, set it and forget it.

Attachment(s)

Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re: Gear review 2020/01/04 09:20:20 (permalink)
The other bonus is how good the house smells when you are forgetting it, and later when it comes out!  And you can make things like herb bread that you rarely encounter in the store.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2020/01/04 10:46:18 (permalink)
Oh we love homegrown homemade foods. I've become quite the cook lately.
Right now the house smells of garlic, basil and oregano for another batch of dough.
Later I'm going to make some blueberry bread with blueberries I picked over the summer and frozen.
I'm running low on garlic, 75 plants didn't cut it . I'm glad I've got 300 in the ground now.

So this is kinda a review of a product I tried, CBD. Been having lots of joint and mussel pains again. Probably the lyme flaring up again but my wife suggested to try some high grade ( expensive) CBD suave.
Well I was reluctant as I think it's just a snake oil fad thing.
So in about a week of trying it, I concur. Its nothing more than the old standard Ben **** but with a fancy name, price and different smell ( yes, like weed).
For all the hype CBD gets , I just didn't see it as helpful. I guess it's back to the high powered antibiotics again. I don't like taking meds but I gotta do something

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2020/02/12 19:42:03 (permalink)
I've purchased very little in gear over the summer thru winter season. I badly need a tractor but that's another deal.

What I'm interested in is an outdoor free frozen meats area during winter.
I know in the ground is the coldest but not my thinking. I have many very good portable coolers that will keep ice and frozen foods frozen for a week or better.
My thoughts are utilizing the smokehouse as a cold house during winter months storing foods free that my freezers and fridges cost money and energy.
Would it be not wise and to risky to leave for 3 months usage ? Not concerned about critters.
Anyone done the outdoors non electric storage for pointers ?
post edited by hot tuna - 2020/02/12 19:53:03

pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: Gear review 2020/02/13 09:27:43 (permalink)
hot tuna
I've purchased very little in gear over the summer thru winter season. I badly need a tractor but that's another deal.

What I'm interested in is an outdoor free frozen meats area during winter.
I know in the ground is the coldest but not my thinking. I have many very good portable coolers that will keep ice and frozen foods frozen for a week or better.
My thoughts are utilizing the smokehouse as a cold house during winter months storing foods free that my freezers and fridges cost money and energy.
Would it be not wise and to risky to leave for 3 months usage ? Not concerned about critters.
Anyone done the outdoors non electric storage for pointers ?

With global warming that idea might not fly
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: Gear review 2020/02/14 09:11:34 (permalink)
I've built a few walk- in freezers. I know the compressors weren't necessary lots of days in the winter.  Consider that really cold nights will damage some meats. -25  will crystalize tissue. On the other hand, you don't want them going much above zero.  Hard to control. I've never seen a non- mechanical freezer, and God knows my farmer friends would have been discussing it with me at length, had they read about it, somewhere in the  ag newpapers and trade mags.http://smithmeadows.com/farm/how-to-build-a-walk-in-freezer/      This is similar to the ones I've built  for large farm stands.   Basically, I can't figure out how you'd maintain an ideal, let alone safe , temp for more than a few weeks at a go without a mechanically controlled environment.  
Page: << < ..67 Showing page 7 of 7
Jump to: