Helpful Replyair and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting

Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 9 of 10
Author
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3501
  • Reward points: 0
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/03/30 12:32:38 (permalink)
edited: double post.
post edited by dpms - 2017/03/30 12:34:18

My rifle is a black rifle
dpms
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/03/30 12:37:41 (permalink)
psu_fish
Perception is reality. When you think of semi-auto rifle...what is the first gun to come to mind? The answer is the AR-15

The AR-15 is a great gun, but doesn't pass the eyeball or social test to be a deer hunting rifle. Sorry but that is the reality.

Yet in 48 states where semiauto has been legal for many, many years, they are accepted as traditional hunting rifles by both hunters and non hunters alike. It passes the social test there as there has been no outcry over their use for hunting.

Yes, I know, Pa is different, right?

The funny thing is when it comes to gun rights, most hunters fight against the social stigmas against certain firearms, but when the issue is hunting, some of these same hunters turn around and embrace them? Quite the conundrum some place themselves in.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/03/30 14:09:14 (permalink)
dpms

Yet in 48 states where semiauto has been legal for many, many years, they are accepted as traditional hunting rifles by both hunters and non hunters alike. It passes the social test there as there has been no outcry over their use for hunting. Yes, I know, Pa is different, right? The funny thing is when it comes to gun rights, most hunters fight against the social stigmas against certain firearms, but when the issue is hunting, some of these same hunters turn around and embrace them? Quite the conundrum some place themselves in.

Nice to see PA can be defined "the exception" regarding what other states allow for hunting.

As for the 2nd Amendment, I have no qualms regarding what others might have in their gun collection.

But I didn't sit idle to be told that others have free access to my land to use any weapon they may have in their gun case. In addition, you can rest assured plenty of other land owners, who own "ARs" feel the same way.

As for semi-auto loading rifles for small game, groundhogs, etc. I am OK with that so long as, the ammunition is limited to rim fire and, 3 Rds as with shot guns.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/03/30 14:14:59

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3092
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/03/30 14:44:55 (permalink)
General public associates AR-15 with semi-auto rifle. There is a strong negative connation to "AR-15" and "hunting". Throw in "big game hunting" it takes it to a whole different level.

Why do you think Savage and other are pushing the term "Modern Sporting Rifle"???

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/03/30 16:40:55 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
As for semi-auto loading rifles for small game, groundhogs, etc. I am OK with that so long as, the ammunition is limited to rim fire and, 3 Rds as with shot guns.

Small game is 22 cal or smaller, no mag restriction. Furbearers and groundhogs there is no caliber or mag restriction. 

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/03/30 16:42:10 (permalink)
psu_fish
General public associates AR-15 with semi-auto rifle. There is a strong negative connation to "AR-15" and "hunting". Throw in "big game hunting" it takes it to a whole different level.

How has it survived outside of Pa where semis are a part of the hunting tradition? 

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/03/30 16:47:15 (permalink)
This is legal in Allegheny County to hunt deer right outside of Pittsburgh right now.

This is illegal in Potter County for deer in the Hammersley wild area.

BloodyHand
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2120
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/03/30 20:38:17 (permalink)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What the heck is that thing in the top picture? Something out of Star Wars.

BH
psu_fish
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/03/31 09:13:35 (permalink)
dpms
psu_fish

How has it survived outside of Pa where semis are a part of the hunting tradition? 

Some states have laws with a .24 caliber minimum for big game
post edited by psu_fish - 2017/03/31 09:15:11
dpms
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/03/31 12:49:08 (permalink)
psu_fish
dpms
psu_fish

Okay. What does that matter? Many hunters that use ARs for big game opt for the AR10 platform. In states that have a minimum, they would have to. 

When it comes to gun rights, the great majority of gun owners and hunters work to dispel these negative stereotypes that exist to protect our ability to own and use them. But then when the issue is hunting, some of these same hunters then turn around and play into these stereotypes and want to give these perceptions more weight than safety data and opportunity. Why is that?

Why is it that many fight stereotypes and perceptions about certain guns while wearing our gun rights hat, then many reverse course and bow down to stereotypes and perceptions while wearing the hunting hat? 

post edited by dpms - 2017/03/31 12:52:36

psu_fish
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/03/31 13:27:21 (permalink)
dpms
psu_fish
dpms
psu_fish

Okay. What does that matter? Many hunters that use ARs for big game opt for the AR10 platform. In states that have a minimum, they would have to. 

When it comes to gun rights, the great majority of gun owners and hunters work to dispel these negative stereotypes that exist to protect our ability to own and use them. But then when the issue is hunting, some of these same hunters then turn around and play into these stereotypes and want to give these perceptions more weight than safety data and opportunity. Why is that?

Why is it that many fight stereotypes and perceptions about certain guns while wearing our gun rights hat, then many reverse course and bow down to stereotypes and perceptions while wearing the hunting hat? 

Off the top of my head:

1) AR-15 is not a traditional big game hunting weapon
2) The Spray and Pray connotation associated with AR-15s 
3) 30 round magazines (and yes I do know that PGC was proposed 5-round limit)
4) The media
5) PGC failed Deer Management in the eyes of many hunters
5) Where are in PA, the most backwards state in the union.

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/03/31 14:15:57 (permalink)
psu_fish

That is the truth!

pikepredator2
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 953
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/03/31 14:41:26 (permalink)

We allow religious groups to decide whether there's Sunday hunting or not

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/03/31 14:58:16 (permalink)
Beginning to sound like the "kill for thrill" folks are really disturbed by the PGC ruling.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/03/31 15:12:29 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Beginning to sound like the "kill for thrill" folks are really disturbed by the PGC ruling.

Just another stereotype right out of the antigunners and antihunters playbook. Sigh..............

Semiautomatic rifles are excepted as part of the traditional hunting landscape in 48 states. The hunters that use them are no different than the hunters that do not use them. Just as the hunters that use a Marlin bolt gun in 22 to shoot squirrels are no different than hunters that use a Savage semiauto 22 to shoot squirrels. 

This is not re-inventing the wheel. All of these concerns and sterotypes are water under the bridge. 48 states have proven it and our SRA have proven it. 

But keep clinging to well proven myths and stereotypes if you must. Those that are not friendly to gun owners and hunters love you for it.....

psu_fish
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/04/03 14:25:57 (permalink)
Well when nobody pays $25 for pheasant stamps, they will allow Semi-autos into big game to boost license sales.
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4891
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/04/03 16:18:10 (permalink)
So, if semi's are permitted for fur bearers and varmits, everyone is okay from the "they will just blast away" group of having that done in open fields in the case of varmits and in open fields at night for fur bearers, but not okay in open fields or in bullet absorbing woods for big game?

Just curious.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
psu_fish
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/04/04 14:28:51 (permalink)
I think the opposition is due the sheer volume of hunters in the woods for the opening Monday of rifle for deer, and the two Saturdays, compared to hunting varmints and predators.

Aren't you the one that provided the stat where 73% of license buyers only hunt rifle season for deer, DarDys?

DarDys
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/04/04 15:15:29 (permalink)
Yes. I believe I did.

My question is what it was labeled-- curiosity.

thunderpole
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 933
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/04/04 15:47:01 (permalink)
I'm glad it got shut down for big game, it is not needed IMO pheasant stamp good like I always said I pay extra to hunt bow muzzy ducks and fish for stocked trout you should also have to pay to hunt stocked birds pa is cheap hunting

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
dpms
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/04/04 16:41:45 (permalink)
psu_fish
I think the opposition is due the sheer volume of hunters in the woods for the opening Monday of rifle for deer, and the two Saturdays, compared to hunting varmints and predators.

People talk about hunters numbers like it the semiatuo rifle is all of a sudden going to become the weapon of choice and in every hunters hands. In other states, the semiauto is the preferred choice for less than 10% of rifle deer hunters. 

There were 550,000 deer hunters out there on the first day this year according to the PGC. So there were roughly 8200 hunters in each county if they were spread evenly. Of those, only 656 would be carrying a semiauto if 8% were carrying them. 

psu_fish
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/04/05 15:01:13 (permalink)
Its all about perception and stereotypes with semi-autos
tippecanoe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1451
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/04/05 15:51:40 (permalink)
psu_fish

Aren't you the one that provided the stat where 73% of license buyers only hunt rifle season for deer, DarDys?

Totally off topic but also very interesting...

Is this stat for real?  Very interesting.  I wonder what the percentage is who only hunt the very first day of rifle season?

I wonder what the percentage of people who buy fishing licenses only fish the first day of trout?

Where does a person go to get this information? 
DarDys
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/04/05 17:13:28 (permalink)
I don't remember where I found it, probably on the PGC website or through one of their press releases. The data is fairly old, I believe.

Walleye jigs
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1231
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/04/05 17:26:47 (permalink)
I always thought it to be stupid but I knew quite a few guys that wasted, my opinion, money on licenses only to use them on the first day of buck and trout. Never really understood it.
DarDys
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/04/05 17:59:49 (permalink)
For the price of a license, hunting or fishing, even for part of one day, it is pretty inexpensive in the entertainment realm when compared to going to a professional concert, professional or collegiate sporting event, even the movies.

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/04/05 18:10:12 (permalink)
psu_fish
Its all about perception and stereotypes with semi-autos

For sure but the perplexing thing is many hunters play right into them if the topic is hunting. Then they turn around and fight them when the issue is gun rights. 

treesparrow
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 651
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/04/05 22:34:40 (permalink)
dpms, I was well acquainted with the Hammersley Fork area in my younger days. This was before it was designated a Wild Area. I shot my first Turkey and my second Buck in Hammersley Valley. The first time I entered the Valley my Brother and I were hiking the Susquehanna Trail from start to finish. We caught many Brook Trout and caught the second Rattlesnake that we had come across. It was great place and showed very little usage. Few years latter it was designated a Wild Area and there developed lots of usage. I recently told my wife that I wanted to hike through with her one more time, as I haven't been there in many years.
dpms
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/04/06 08:17:38 (permalink)
treesparrow
dpms, I was well acquainted with the Hammersley Fork area in my younger days. This was before it was designated a Wild Area. I shot my first Turkey and my second Buck in Hammersley Valley. The first time I entered the Valley my Brother and I were hiking the Susquehanna Trail from start to finish. We caught many Brook Trout and caught the second Rattlesnake that we had come across. It was great place and showed very little usage. Few years latter it was designated a Wild Area and there developed lots of usage. I recently told my wife that I wanted to hike through with her one more time, as I haven't been there in many years.

My last trip was 20 or so years ago. I hiked back into the headwaters, up into Nelson Run, on Memorial Day weekend to camp and do some native brookie fishing. Beautiful area. Caught lots of small brookies on the trip.

treesparrow
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 651
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/04/06 19:25:39 (permalink)
dpms, The first time in my brother and I caught many natives 10+ inches. Few years latter and it was hard to find a big one.  I saw a 18-20" Brown in Nelson one trip however I was winter camping. My brother saw a huge Brown first trip in main Creek at what we called the ledge hole. I took a fly tying course with George Harvey and Joe Humphries Sp? George told me there was always a huge Brown in that pool and a large eel. Take the big boy out and another one would show up.
          I shot the buck way back in and dragged the hair off its one side. I was exhausted and as I approached the end a group of about 10 great guys saw me and helped me finish the drag and load the buck. I was camping in my Rambler at the top of Road Hollow and determined to stay until I filled my tag.
post edited by treesparrow - 2017/04/06 19:32:25
Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 9 of 10
Jump to: