Helpful Replyair and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting

Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 8 of 10
Author
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3501
  • Reward points: 0
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/02/03 16:28:56 (permalink)
psu_fish
I would be terrified to be a stander in a drive, with a handful of pushers toting AR-15 or even semi-auto rifles like a Browning BAR MK 3

I would suggest new hunting buddies if you would feel terrified. I would have no issues with those I hunt with. 

My rifle is a black rifle
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/02/03 17:20:26 (permalink)
Just having fun dpms with some of this stuff. However, I do believe hunting with semi-auto loading rifles is going to darned far.

Just like the security checks, or the use of seatbelts I must abide by laws in the name of safety because, "there might be a incident".

Yes, there has been bad situations develope in the sport of hunting and this, is enough evidence to cause me to ask, why look for problems.

We both know this new law is opening the door for the itchy finger "kill for thrillers".
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/02/03 21:22:15

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/02/03 17:30:38 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
We both know this new law is opening the door for the itchy finger "kill for thrillers".

Has it been an issue in the 49 other states where those hunters widely accept semiauto actions as traditional hunting devices?

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/02/03 19:26:11 (permalink)
dpms
BeenThereDoneThat.

Has it been an issue in the 49 other states where those hunters widely accept semiauto actions as traditional hunting devices?

I'm not concerned with what is happening in any other state and if I were I would move there.

I am however, concerned with what could happen in my little piece of Penn's Woods.

No offense dpms, if you like the way other states permit hunting, you have a choice.

My choice is to prevent such laws from becoming a nuisance and causing problems. Maybe effective in a small parf of the state but I'll do my best to prevent the use of semi-auto loading rifles in my part of PA.

My neighbor has posted 160 acres where these weapons shall not be permitted. I am in the process, along with another neighbor, in meeting with the area farmers, including many Amish land owners. Together we offer to post any and all land and will provide the signs if need be.

This of course is based on the BOC decision this spring.

If anybody else becomes interested, I shall be happy to provide a link to a web sight for bulk orders of signs. Also, the signs can be installed just prior to and taken down after hunting season, if need be. They do not need be visible year round and there is no law regarding how, or where they are posted on the property. You can post them on a stick or fly them from a fence post.

Stay tuned........
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/02/03 21:19:03

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

BloodyHand
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2120
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/02/03 19:42:13 (permalink)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
BOOOOO
More posted property
For the record, when my buddy shoots a volley of shots with his lever gun, you would swear it was a semi going off. Same with my old 760 pump. I could bust 5 rounds out of there so fast, you'd swear I was shootin an AR. I can get my 2nd round out of my pump shot gun before my buddy could get his 3rd round out of his semi. Jus' Sayin. Dont really see a problem with semi's provided they limit the amount of rounds in the magazine.

BH
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/02/03 22:15:16 (permalink)
Then again why do you need to really hunt deer with a semi rifle. I've killed a few deer in 4 states over 51 years not bragging but it a huge number,of all the deer I've shot 4 required a follow-up shot. Of those 2 where spined and needed a finishing neck shot. The other 2 where double lunged and just stood there and walked 5 feet and I shot them again,both shots where less than 2 inches apart. I'm not sure why they didn't go down but I didn't wait. I'm thinking it was the bullet not expanding right. I'm not against semi autos just don't see the need for them in the deer woods, WV had for years,Ohio,N.Y., Pa SRA permits semi shotguns. Shot deer in Ohio and Allegheny co. with my 11-87 Hastings barrel,all one shot kills. dpms,just curious why your into hunting with one? Because it the second amendment? Because it's fun? Because you've never been allowed? Because you want to rip a deer 4-5 times?  It won't affect me but I will exit a woods if there's a bunch of yeah who's putting on drives totting a bunch of semi's. 
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/02/03 22:30:51 (permalink)
Gonna happen Big Tuna and if somebody gets injured or worse, then the BOC should be held responsible for their decision.

Won't happen of course cause they can just shrug thier shoulders and say chyt happens.

crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3332
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/02/04 00:11:44 (permalink)

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/02/04 00:55:27 (permalink)
Kids...😴

crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3332
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/02/04 02:56:14 (permalink)

post edited by crappiefisher - 2017/02/04 03:00:38
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/02/04 09:09:29 (permalink)
Ha ha haaa...... I concede. 😩

My.... my, how times have changed.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/02/04 09:11:08

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/02/04 09:10:23 (permalink)
Big Tuna
Then again why do you need to really hunt deer with a semi rifle.

I have never advocated on the basis of need. I assume you support many laws and regs that are not "needed" in Pa. As an example, what is the need for the late flintlock season? What is the need for 10 gauges to be legal for squirrels? What is the need for a grouse season? What is the need for lever actions to be legal for deer? What is the need for afternoon gobbler hunting in the spring? What is the need for Monday hunting? 

dpms,just curious why your into hunting with one?Because it the second amendment? Because it's fun? Because you've never been allowed? Because you want to rip a deer 4-5 times?  It won't affect me but I will exit a woods if there's a bunch of yeah who's putting on drives totting a bunch of semi's.

Not sure if I am into hunting with one or not. I have never hunted with one. If these preliminary regulations are approved at the spring meeting, I will probably outfit my personal defense AR for predator hunting and give it a whirl. Big game, not sure if I will or won't. 

To answer your questions. I do believe that semiautomatic firearms are legitimate sporting rifles, so yes, this change will strengthen gun rights in Pa. For those that know me, I enjoy hunting with all weapon types since I find them all "fun" and challenging in their own ways. So yes, hunting with another type of firearm will be fun to a certain extent, but not fun because I can shoot a round with every pull of the trigger. It will not be about ripping a deer in half since I strive to make the first shot count with all of my devices. 

Basically, for me it boils down to Pennsylvania's hunters having another choice in devices to hunt with. This is not re-inventing the wheel since semiauto actions have been firmly entrenched into the hunting landscape and tradition across this country and even in Pa for many, many years. There is no evidence that safety will be compromised and no evidence the resource will be affected. 

As with any change, some will oppose it and some will support it. If it passes, everyone has a choice to take the opportunity or decline it. 

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/02/04 09:17:35 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Gonna happen Big Tuna and if somebody gets injured or worse, then the BOC should be held responsible for their decision.

Even though hunting accidents are rare, you are advocated for the PGC to be held responsible since an accident happened under current hunting regulations? That is like advocating for the state to be held responsible after a unsafe driver crosses the center line and hits another car head on. 

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/02/04 09:27:30 (permalink)
Don't have a problem with that either. These people want the responsibility and power, they should be held responsibile.

Should it be the fault of a driver for the lack of safety or design, in the name of saving money.

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/02/04 10:03:49 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Should it be the fault of a driver for the lack of safety or design, in the name of saving money.

If there is a design flaw in the car, road, or gun, the manufacturer or state could be held responsible. That is not the discussion. 

You are suggesting that the PGC should be held responsible if someone mishandles a gun while hunting. That is no different than suggesting the state should beheld responsible if someone mishandles a car while driving.

Is that really the position you want to put yourself in on this issue? That is a similar position to Hillary Clinton saying gun manufacturers should be sued because someone used a Smith to kill someone. 

hunter1972
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/02/04 12:22:53 (permalink)
Who needs a semiauto to hunt deer there is enough deer wounded that the people who shot couldn't follow with snow on if it didn't drop that might go look but don't follow far enough to find blood
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/02/04 14:47:29 (permalink)
I'm saying those making decisions should be held responsible if that decision creates a situation allowing for injury to others.

Holdin gun mfgs responsible would certainly be interesting and open the door to auto, alcohol, airplane mfgs etc.

But let's not go there, on this thread.

I just hope I'll not have a reason to say; I told you so.

In the meantime I'll continue keeping my neighbors updated on the decisions of the PGC.

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/02/04 15:29:49 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
But let's not go there, on this thread

But you did by claiming it should be the PGC's responsibility if a hunter is careless while hunting. It is no different than suggesting the state is at fault if someone is careless while driving and runs somebody else over on the side of the road. 

I'm saying those making decisions should be held responsible if that decision creates a situation allowing for injury to others.

The decision was made by the hunter if an errant shot is responsible for injury to someone else. It is not the PGC's responsibility if a person does not follow safe hunting and/or gun handling principles. 

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/02/04 16:47:07 (permalink)
Well alright, so I have my opinion and you have a right to yours so who is, your pick for the Super Bowl?

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/02/04 17:24:22 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Well alright, so I have my opinion and you have a right to yours so who is, your pick for the Super Bowl?

Hoping for Falcons but picking Pats to win. 

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/02/04 20:50:36 (permalink)
Now wait a minute, how my suppose to debate an answer like that. lol

I'll be happy to hear the anthem actually sung and not hollard or screeched, see politics and other stupid chyt left out of the half time show and just a good old fashioned football game. If Falcon's win OK but prefer the Patriots.

Just something about that name.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/02/04 20:54:14

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/03/28 12:14:21 (permalink)
The official release is not out yet, but the PGC pulled the rug out from under the proposed semiauto regulations at today's meeting. Semiauto rifles will be legal for small game, furbearers, and groundhogs. They amended the proposed regulations to exclude all big game. No semis for turkey, deer, bear, and elk.

DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4891
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/03/28 13:54:12 (permalink)
Was there a reason provided for their change of mind?

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3092
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/03/28 14:51:26 (permalink)
per ABC27.com
http://abc27.com/2017/03/28/game-commission-wont-allow-semiautomatic-rifles-for-big-game/

"The Game Commission said it found no evidence that semiautomatic rifles led to a decline in safety in any state where they’re permitted for hunting, but it received thousands of comments since the law took effect."

Sounds like PGC actually listened to people who fund the agency

DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4891
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/03/29 12:12:09 (permalink)
The pheasant permit passed.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
dpms
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/03/29 18:28:23 (permalink)
Comments on the PGC Facebook page are easily 2/3 being very displeased that the PGC reversed course on big game. 

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/03/29 18:30:19 (permalink)
psu_fish
Sounds like PGC actually listened to people who fund the agency

The problem is most of those same people have hypocritical positions. If the issue is hunting, the type of weapon should drive policy. If the issue is gun control, the person behind the weapon should drive policy. 

Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/03/29 20:48:59 (permalink)
dpms
Comments on the PGC Facebook page are easily 2/3 being very displeased that the PGC reversed course on big game. 

Think it was Bob Frye of the Trib (but not sure) mentioned that a survey conducted or tallies kept of comments on semi's was very heavily skewed towards younger hunters being in favor, and older (maybe 50 or 55+) being opposed.  

So it'd make sense that a social media source would be skewed that way.  
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3092
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/03/30 08:20:25 (permalink)
Perception is reality. When you think of semi-auto rifle...what is the first gun to come to mind? The answer is the AR-15

The AR-15 is a great gun, but doesn't pass the eyeball or social test to be a deer hunting rifle. Sorry but that is the reality.

Now if you put a BAR 308 with a 3x9x40 in front of someone, it will pass the eyeball test as a "deer" hunting rifle.

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2017/03/30 12:31:00 (permalink)
rsquared
dpms

Think it was Bob Frye of the Trib (but not sure) mentioned that a survey conducted or tallies kept of comments on semi's was very heavily skewed towards younger hunters being in favor, and older (maybe 50 or 55+) being opposed.  

So it'd make sense that a social media source would be skewed that way.  

Yep. Wasn't trying to imply that Facebook was representative of all. Just mentioned some post vote comments. The future of hunting is the under 55 crowd though...

Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 8 of 10
Jump to: