Helpful ReplyPYMATUNING FISHING REPORT

Page: << < ..4647484950.. > >> Showing page 46 of 72
Author
thunderpole
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 933
  • Reward points: 0
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/02/23 10:52:47 (permalink)
Im thinking about going up tonight or tomorrow and try im sure there not but 60°+ cant help myself seen some crappy pics posted from this week anyone got a water temp?

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
outasync
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 730
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/02/23 11:05:54 (permalink)
Btdt had 35 degrees on Monday I believe. I've got the itch myself but am not giving in to the early bird urge until the water hits at least 40. Hopefully 70s Friday gets it up
thunderpole
Expert Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/02/23 11:26:40 (permalink)
Dam shanango is 44-46 yesterday I figured it would be higher

WaLLeye_Killer
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 34
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/02/23 11:35:29 (permalink)
Has anyone had any luck from shore?
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/02/23 11:52:37 (permalink)
Spillway area a few. It's to early to wade at night,water needs to hit the 40's. Great perch bite in P.I . Erie at the head of the bay. 
marco
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 171
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/02/23 15:38:44 (permalink)
Dam,  I am looking at all these posts and thinking its april.  I am goin to pymy sat thru Monday.  gonna to wet a line from shore somewhere.  I am sure big tuna, btdt or registered have some secret spots in February!

registered
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 78
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/02/23 18:49:27 (permalink)
marco
Dam,  I am looking at all these posts and thinking its april.  I am goin to pymy sat thru Monday.  gonna to wet a line from shore somewhere.  I am sure big tuna, btdt or registered have some secret spots in February!

Marco, good to see you survived the winter. I don't know about secret Pymy spots but Big Tuna had me heading to Erie tomorrow for the perch slam. I was going to invite you and John but then life kicked in and I have to work. Soon my friend.
marco
Avid Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/02/23 19:12:27 (permalink)
registered,  hope yr doing well!  I talked to big tuna today.  Had to twist his arm to get that story about erie out of him, but he gave it up!  I am up at pymy every weekend working on cottage and last weekend people were fishing everywhere!  I got the itch so gonna give it a try.  the walleye bite will be on soon!  cant wait to hook up w you guys!  maybe we will catch some fish this year?
fishin coyote
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1668
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/02/23 19:35:43 (permalink)
The snaggers are out at the spillway

Nothing is Free!!
Reward equals Effort

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/02/23 21:06:19 (permalink)
Botor moated around the causeway from 1:30 till sunset.

Water temp close to and along the south wall is 40 degrees with 38 degrees elsewhere.

Very few little fishy pictures popping up on the sonar screen.

I dragged crawlers on a harness, thumped twister tails on jigs, hopped sonar's, pulled floating stick baits behind 3-way rigs aaaaand tried a whole bunch of other wrong things. So, long story short... stupid fish!!!

Four other boats reported similar results as did a couple of hardy anglers fishing from the wall.

Two boats returning from mup north reported open water all around as well as seeing few fishy pictures

Marco and register I look forward to seeing your smiling innocent faces, real soon.

Though I'm not sure at the same time and, in the same place.

If I did survive a meeting like that, I probably would never be right again. 😈

Till next time, tight lines.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

roygpa
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 194
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/02/24 14:39:56 (permalink)
Had a pontoon lift delivered (just south of Espyville) yesterday and talked the driver into dropping it off near where my dock is on shore. About 100 feet across the field and he sinks in that swamp mud up to his axles. Spent 90 minutes trying to get him unstuck, then decided to call a tow truck. Tow truck got him out. Pymatuning has the soupiest mud I have ever seen, which makes sense considering it was a swamp. Almost like quick sand.

On another pleasant note, I found water in the lower unit on the 9.9 on my pontoon. Will be back tomorrow morning removing the lower unit and taking it over to Haines to replace the seals and the water pump while they are at it.  I could learn to do it myself, but I think I will have the pros do it this time. Don't think the lower unit is cracked... If it was I'd be leaking the oil I put in it right?

Did get a couple of tons of gravel spread on our driveway without any mishaps, I should be happy about that. :)
registered
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 78
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/02/24 16:14:58 (permalink)
roygpa
Had a pontoon lift delivered (just south of Espyville) yesterday and talked the driver into dropping it off near where my dock is on shore. About 100 feet across the field and he sinks in that swamp mud up to his axles. Spent 90 minutes trying to get him unstuck, then decided to call a tow truck. Tow truck got him out. Pymatuning has the soupiest mud I have ever seen, which makes sense considering it was a swamp. Almost like quick sand.

On another pleasant note, I found water in the lower unit on the 9.9 on my pontoon. Will be back tomorrow morning removing the lower unit and taking it over to Haines to replace the seals and the water pump while they are at it.  I could learn to do it myself, but I think I will have the pros do it this time. Don't think the lower unit is cracked... If it was I'd be leaking the oil I put in it right?

Did get a couple of tons of gravel spread on our driveway without any mishaps, I should be happy about that. :)

Roy, if it's not dripping out onto the housing you're probably OK
You might consider taking the whole motor over instead of just the lower unit.
Those bolts have a way of snapping off.  
PM me if you end up needing a 9.9 Johnson / Evinrude lower unit.
Congratulations on the driveway.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/02/25 18:56:42 (permalink)
Pymatuning Reservoir: Lat: 41.6048, Long: -80.4996Lat: 41.6048, Long: -80.4996

Year  Species  Lifestage#        Stocked 2016 Walleye Fingerling 293,000       2016 Walleye Fry 4,000,000         Total =4,293,000

Pymatuning Sanctuary: Lat: 41.6297, Long: -80.4200Lat: 41.6297, Long: -80.4200 

Year Species Lifestage#       Stocked 2016   Walleye Fry 1,875,000         Total =1,875,000
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/02/25 19:03:12

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/02/25 19:40:37 (permalink)
16. I WOULD LIKE TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THE REGULATIONS ON TUBING. WE HEARD ABOUT A REGULATION SAYING WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO LAUNCH OUR TUBES FROM THE STATE ACCESS AREA INTO THE RIVER. HOW CAN THIS BE? YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THE STATE OF PENNSYLVANIA HAS A LAW AGAINST TUBING ON THE RIVER?

Pennsylvania has no general law prohibiting launching of inner tubes or tubing on the Pennsylvania rivers. There is no special fee to tube on Pennsylvania waters.
 Whether it is legal to launch or retrieve inner tubes at particular access areas depends on the regulations for those sites. Under Fish and Boat Commission regulations (58 Pa. Code 53.16(c)), it is unlawful to launch or retrieve swimming aids, such as inner tubes and similar devices, from access areas managed for fishing and boating by the Commission. Why? As a general proposition, Commonwealth properties managed by the state Fish and Boat Commission are maintained for use by anglers and boaters for fishing and boating. In Pennsylvania, the Fish and Boat Commission operates on funds acquired from the sale of fishing licenses, related permits and boat registrations. It receives no general tax funding like most state agencies do. Activities, such as inner tubing, may interfere with the fishing and boating uses for which these properties were acquired and maintained. Persons who use a Fish and Boat Commission access area to park a car and launch or retrieve an inner tube may be taking up space reserved for (and paid for by) anglers and boaters. In addition, the incompatibility between swimming and use of swimming aids raises safety concerns when it occurs in close proximity to a launch ramp used by power boats. Field reports show that, in many cases, these are incompatible activities, and the Fish and Commission is duty bound to prevent activities incompatible with fishing and boating at PFBC access areas.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/02/25 19:42:01

thunderpole
Expert Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/02/27 09:22:34 (permalink)
We always went and floated the river whatever with tubes as kids no issues I find it hard to believe the co is gonna right you a ticket for some innocent fun

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/02/27 10:27:49 (permalink)
Use of tubes for swimming aids at PBFC maintained boating access areas is prohibited.(I.e., Boat launch/docks.)

Also, parking in such facilities is prohibited for the purpose of such activities.

Such devices are not deemed to be illegal for use; just regulated where they cannot access the water. However, A representative of the PFBC does have the right to determine if a device is "seaworthy".

Anyway, the info brings question to "float tubes" for fishing and where they can be used in reference to a PFBC maintained launch.

Anglers using such devices for fishing would not be considered to be recreational swimmers.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/02/27 10:34:27

Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/02/27 13:02:08 (permalink)
http://pfbc.pa.gov/fishpub/summaryad/pfbcproperty.html

Float tubes or similar devices are permitted while fishing on Fish & Boat Commission lakes so long as the device contains two air bladder systems. It may not be propelled by a mechanical device. The user must wear a Coast Guard-approved personal flotation device.

From the PADCNR website

Float tubes continue to rise in popularity. Quality float tubes are permitted in State Park waters in lakes and still water away from designated swimming or boat launching areas. A quality float tube has two air bladders made of heavy gauge rubber or PVC material covered by a durable fabric shell of denier nylon, Codora or similar material. Float tubes may only be propelled by non-mechanical, non-motorized devices like oars. A U.S. Coast Guard approved personal flotation devise (PFD) must be worn at all times. A state park officer can terminate float tube use if the devise is being used in an unsafe manner or during unsafe conditions.
Tunapursuit
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 41
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/02/27 18:13:03 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pymatuning Reservoir: Lat: 41.6048, Long: -80.4996Lat: 41.6048, Long: -80.4996

Year  Species  Lifestage#        Stocked 2016 Walleye Fingerling 293,000       2016 Walleye Fry 4,000,000         Total =4,293,000

Pymatuning Sanctuary: Lat: 41.6297, Long: -80.4200Lat: 41.6297, Long: -80.4200 

Year Species Lifestage#       Stocked 2016   Walleye Fry 1,875,000         Total =1,875,000

So it looks like off epyville and in the propagation area, how long does it take for them to mature to legal size?
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/02/27 20:19:04 (permalink)
Just wondering what are the rules of floating after dark? I have seen people fishing in float tubes after sunset with no lights, doesn't seem real smart with boats moving on the water. They never seem to stay real long after sunset, but it is dark when they are heading in to shore. 
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/02/27 20:32:12 (permalink)
I'd imagine that would fall under the "unsafe use" or "unsafe conditions," provision. But there should be some regulation about that I would think instead of having to have a state park officer of WCO come and tell you to quit being an idiot.
treesparrow
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 651
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/02/27 21:54:00 (permalink)
 Old fella used to take a swim every day at the Mill Creek Boat Launch on Clarion River. He swam right into late fall. I am not sure if he was fined but he was unable to keep doing it.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/02/27 22:52:42 (permalink)
Captain, unpowered boats are required to "display a white light, mounted or handheld, in time to avoid a collision". I would assume this rule would hold true with flotation devices also.

Not uncommon to see flashlights suddenly waving from unpowered boats when fishing past sundown or before sunrise.

Treesparrow not uncommon to see swimmers and tubers using PFBC maintained launch facilities. Likewise, not uncommon for people to exceed speedlimits while driving a car or my favorite, the doorknobs who ignore the "no wake" laws. So the old saying goes; sometimes you get the bear, but sometimes the bear gets you.

The issue remains, flotation devices used as swimming aids are not permitted to be launched or retrieved at PFBC maintained facilities.

Some food for thought; does this include "float tubes"?
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/02/27 22:58:11

Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/02/28 09:57:26 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.

The issue remains, flotation devices used as swimming aids are not permitted to be launched or retrieved at PFBC maintained facilities.

http://pfbc.pa.gov/fishpu...ryad/pfbcproperty.html

Float tubes or similar devices are permitted while fishing on Fish & Boat Commission lakes so long as the device contains two air bladder systems. It may not be propelled by a mechanical device. The user must wear a Coast Guard-approved personal flotation device.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/02/28 11:54:27 (permalink)
rsquared
BeenThereDoneThat.

http://pfbc.pa.gov/fishpu...ryad/pfbcproperty.html

Thanks rsquared, I know what the ruling is regarding the use of float tubes. I provided a link, some weeks back, when you questioned the use of the device. Also, I believe there is a revision regarding "multiple" air chambers, but I'll leave that for another day.

Because tubes and other swim devices are not permitted to be launched or retrieved at PBFC maintained facilities, are "float tubes" included? Also, parking of motor vehicles at such sights for the use of said devices is prohibited.

PBFC maintain many launch facilities, all requiring registration or permits before allowing said use.

marco
Avid Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/02/28 13:07:29 (permalink)
was up there sat.  had to run to Linesville in morning.  going past spillway I see a boat right in front of chain where water comes under  road.  I stopped and watched.  one guy in boat and one guy on concrete.  in 10 mins I watched them catch 1 walley, 1 carp, one nice perch and a couple gills on sonars.  they were locals and they were talking about the amount of walleye they catch.  they were nice and gave me a few tips.  they said one local up there catches over 300 eyes a year and feeds them to his dogs.  the guy in the boat said he already limited out once on eyes on the early ice.  the guy on the concrete said he had been there 4 hours..never stopped jigging!  fyi..they do best at night.  btdt and registered..you hearing this.  get some warm clothes and lights and get up there and find the eyes.  soon as you two figure it out I will join you.  CANT WAIT TO HEAR FORM YOU GUYS!
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/02/28 13:43:29 (permalink)
Marco, you missed the boat another unbelievable day on the bay.  60 toads  came home,I got 5 that where dam near 2 lbs each. 1 steelhead getting prepped for the smoker. Limited out pretty early,made my buddy go in shallow by the cat tails,cast and crank. Gills all around 8.5" no crappie,several 8"-9" perch. He didn't want to fish for gills or crappie,he gave me 20 minutes to fish. lol I kept 17 gills and pumpkin seeds all around 8.5 " in 20 minutes. If you wanted you could have 50 gills in 2 hours. No crappie but the locals said they pounded them Sunday. I told you you got to fish at night on Pymy. I'm losing my taste for eyes,these friggen perch are off the charts for eating. I'll be heading back up even though it's going to get cold the fish are there now. First trip water temp 34 yesterday 37, at 45 degrees they spawn and a week later their history. I'm not missing out this year,my freezer has room no ice fishing. P.I. Will make up forget about other lakes " reel" quick. Good fishing to all. After I'm done with the perch,I'll go get some spillway eyes mid March is peak Marco nothing changes we just get older. lol
marco
Avid Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/02/28 14:09:11 (permalink)
big tuna,  congrats!  sound like an awesome day.  too much work to do on the cottage right now. not to worry, when you are working this summer I will send you some good reports!
thunderpole
Expert Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/03/01 08:20:51 (permalink)
I know its to early bla bla bla anyone got a water temp?

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/03/01 15:15:58 (permalink)
Not too early at all. I was at the causeway ay Espyville 5 days ago. At and along the south face of the wall the surface temp was 40 degrees F. Elsewhere the temp averaged 38 degrees.

Buddy, Walleye Bill, dropped a heavy fish and caught a nice perch.

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1156
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/03/01 19:18:17 (permalink)
Was out on the north end last Friday. Showed a surface temp of 48 in shallower water, and 43 in 15ft.
Page: << < ..4647484950.. > >> Showing page 46 of 72
Jump to: