Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
2017/02/06 17:24:14 (permalink)

the trip

Lets start on Friday 2-3-17
Lake effect warnings and grinding my teeth all day at work watching the band move across dumping snow.
I seen they were dropping the water lever from 750 (with a 1,000 actual flow ) to 500.. What a saving grace.
If the flow stayed , it would have screwed us big time without a boat, no way fishing from the banks were an option after the dump of snow.
So, I get outta work late as usual. Got some info as to the storm from the local crew ... Thank You !!! Do I stick with thruway to 81 or do my regular rt up 13 ?
Once we hit exit 32 there was nothing insight or no real snow on the ground.. Thinking its the way to go as its an hr from there..
WOW, once we hit billytown it was complete whiteout and used the 6' banks and centerline rumble strip to stay on the road.. 15 mph in 4wd was the going from there to altmar..  Incredible amounts of snow falling.. I have been to the river with deep snow but this was a first experience being there while it was in progress.. We made it safe and sound , YEA !!!
My only last plug to the lodge. Very well run, comfortable accommodating for tackle, food , access , never had to start the truck from start to finish. I thought it was a win .

Now fishing , well .. Driftboats anchor on that side in the am. They usually leave by 10 am and there were no other bank anglers there while we were there on that side. A few on the north side and it seemed that was the better side from catching as I seen about 6 or 7 caught over there.  We didn't touch a fish but again we didn't grind it out.. Fished south side from 9 am to 11 am then walked back for lunch and hit the LFZ around 3pm.. I like the north side up there even though the "slot" is on the south.. We had the bank  to ourselves until Clint came over to say hello.. An hr later my buddy was done and we went for a hot show, beer barn and dinner .

Yesterday..
I figured we would break trail again and fish uncrowded water..  9am we walk up and set up .. 3 casts I'm into a nice steel.. Best I seen all week.. Most were small 18-21" fish prior.. Of course it breaks off due to a frozen reel. .
in the next hr I touch 2 fish.. Biters ? they were gone before I even got to play.. I just kept changing flies and working the stretch about every 15 mins so who knows ..  
By 10am my buddy was sitting in my truck with the heat cranking so I bailed outta town at 11am..

Conclusion:
I was Rusty in all aspects, my open water gear was not well prepared and caused me early problems. .. Trudging through waist deep snow sucked.. Having no issues with access or anglers was pretty nice. Fishing at will and at least playing with some made the whole trip. Not getting to spend more time with friends in the area was the only downside..

I'm certainly in no rush to head back only due to conditions and the quality of fishing.. I can watch trout chase my jigs all day from a heated shanty and have at least the same results so its a tough call..
That said, my son Rob, wants to go play in the water up there so I will probably be returning again soon.. 

Anyone that is heading up in the future , live close and fish at will for a few hrs a day, from a far, be ready for some deep snow, cold water and hopefully big fish .. Otherwise bring a boat because the flotilla are the rule right now.

Peace & Tuna  

post edited by hot tuna - 2017/02/06 17:27:21

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen

4 Replies Related Threads

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: the trip 2017/02/07 00:00:35 (permalink)
    How were the drift boats hitting them?Did they have any luck?
    I know I'm getting too old to even consider fishing in those conditions,so I sure won't be making that ride anytime soon.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3706
    Re: the trip 2017/02/07 12:25:34 (permalink)
    I was huffing a little just getting to the LFZ as there wad minimal foot traffic previous

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: the trip 2017/02/07 19:08:33 (permalink)
    Jack. There were 3 boats anchored on the south side ( our side )when we got there 8:30 am saturday morning. 1 on the north at the head of pool.
    I fished the barrel and set my friend up in the pool. They started leaving between 9 & 10 am . 1 said he hooked 2 fish. As soon as the guys on the north head left, 3 bank anglers took their spot. 1 guy landed 3 lost 2 . All small below the size limit or I'm sure they would have been roped.
    We went to lodge around 11am and hit north lfz around 3 pm. A few smaller fish landed off the rock, south, were seen, a few hook and lost but all in all in about 6-8 hrs on the water in 2 days , I seen about 10 dark fish and they were in the 3-5 lb range .

When the thaw begins, there will be heavy water for quite sometime.
    post edited by hot tuna - 2017/02/07 19:22:26

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: the trip 2017/02/08 18:30:49 (permalink)
    Tuna great to hear the recap. It's definitely a tough go when under prepared and rusty. We got pounded with rain through this morning. Lost a lot of snow but I imagine the woods from 2a and up are still holding deep snow. The plus side is it will be getting very cold so the snow we have now will become pack that you'll just walk on top of :) catch you on the rebound bud
    Jump to: