Three Rivers Fishing

Author
LetMeBeFishing
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 74
  • Reward points: 0
2017/01/11 19:23:34 (permalink)

Three Rivers Fishing

I have never fished the three Rivers in Pgh. and would love to since its only a hour from me. Any suggestions for the spring fishing and where are the public launches  

10 Replies Related Threads

PooFLinger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 450
    Re: Three Rivers Fishing 2017/01/11 19:32:24 (permalink)
    Which river would you mostly like to target??

Gill em to kill em then Rope em smoke em
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    Re: Three Rivers Fishing 2017/01/11 21:19:22 (permalink)
    Ohio white fish at highland park.

Tons of carp, dont expect any true monsters.

Nighttime flatheads if you can deal with the midnight locals lock n load
    post edited by Mountian Man - 2017/01/11 21:20:47

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    olgerman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 159
    Re: Three Rivers Fishing 2017/01/13 08:01:19 (permalink)
    Public launch ramps in Pgh are limited. You could us the 18th street South Side ramp on the Mon or the 13th street in Sharpsburg on the Allegheny.
    crawlerman2
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 146
    Re: Three Rivers Fishing 2017/01/13 10:43:03 (permalink)
    any of the pools can be productive.  You want to fish the dams and creek mouths.  Warm water discharges can be good when the water is cold.  Spring is a good time to fish around the locks.  For some reason I do better at the dams on the shore vs boat.  Good flathead fishing down on the Ohio in the summer.  I know the hybrids are there too, but I have never figured out any kind of pattern.  I just pick them up randomly while targeting other fish.  I used to do really good on smallmouths, but last year was not good.  Maybe because I was on the ohio more than Allegheny.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9686
    Re: Three Rivers Fishing 2017/01/14 09:23:48 (permalink)
    I used to be a river rat. There are good things and bad things about the rivers. I personally wouldn't drive an hour to fish them, with other quality options around. That said, they offer probably the most diversity of catches in the area. Here are some tips.

Fish below dams, don't need to be in the white water below. 50 yards to 1 mile hold a ton of fish. A lot of oxygen and the dams stop many fish on upstream migrations. Including baitfish.

Fish right below the mouths of feeder streams. Some feeder streams have some fishable water too. Be careful, many are trout stocked and have regulations.

Waders will help get you to many different fish holding areas. Be careful when wading higher swift water.

Avoid the rivers altogether after heavy rains. Raw sewage gets dumped in, if too much water in the sewer system for the pipes to handle. Biggest reason that I have stopped fishing the rivers.

Know the neighborhood you are fishing. Avoid anything close to McKees Rocks, Braddock and McKeesport. Other neighborhoods further from the city as well. Downtown Point Park gets sketchy too, I'd avoid walking too far from other people. If you don't like people begging for money, then avoid altogether. Probably the same on North Side too, although I have only fished near the Heinz/Del Monte area, and never bothered.

There are a lot of snags in the rivers. Be prepared to loose a lot of lures/rigs. I always had success with 1/8-1/2 oz jigs with curly tail or paddle tail shad. Just enough weight to tick the bottom. Other lures do great, but beware of snag potential to be eating your $5-$10 lures. Sometimes the fish will hit surface or subsurface lures. Same said with streamers. I've caught some of my largest wipers and walleye on Clouser minnows on the fly rod.

Live bait obviously works well too. I'm not much of a sit and wait kind fisherman, but large chubs tossed out and wait work well for those into that sort of fishing. For large flatheads, live bluegills, rockbass or shad tossed out and waiting works too. Cut bait more for channels, but I have caught flatheads with cut shad before. When I used to use live bait, fathead minnows were my favorite. Either tipped on a jig or hook with split shot. Just enough to tick the bottom. Reel in slowly. If you find a school of walleye, sauger or white bass, you can catch 20-30 fish in 20-30 minutes. When the baby gizzard shad are around, depending on how many, fishing can be great or tough. If only a few schools, fishing is incredible. If shad everywhere, it's hard to get them to bit your offering.

Good luck
    BeaverCountyFishingClub
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re: Three Rivers Fishing 2017/01/20 06:06:18 (permalink)
    I can tell you it is 100% worth the drive contrary to what some may think. I almost exclusively fish the Ohio River in Beaver County and we catch trophy sized fish in almost every species we target. The wiper,walleye and smallmouth fishing is exceptional.  For places to fish, hands down, any of the dams produce trophy fish. We fish the Montgomery Dam in Industry all year long and it never ceases to let us down. Trolling is a great method for us (me n Dad), we like trolling all of your standard walleye lures (shad imitations). Shad raps, flicker shads, flicker minnows, hot n tots, bomber Long A, wally divers, glass raps etc.  Trolling around 1.5-2mph will produce the best depending on river flow and water temp. General rule for us is we fish slower in the spring and get faster as the year progresses and start to target deeper structure with deep diving lures.  Boat launches are plentiful in Beaver County including Monaca, Rochester, New Brighton (Beaver River) , St Joes Boat club on raccoon creek ($45 membership fee) and Ohioville municipal park boat launch.   feel free to check out my Facebook page and give it a like for more info and pictures.  www.facebook.com/beavercofishingclub 

Please "Like" and follow Beaver County Fishing Club on Facebook! 

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    Re: Three Rivers Fishing 2017/01/20 14:30:26 (permalink)
    I'd come north and fish the Allegheny in Venango County, then fish in the city limits of Pittsburgh. WAY better fishing up here for smallmouth, pike, musky, walleye
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2215
    Re: Three Rivers Fishing 2017/01/20 22:01:05 (permalink)
    And not as much shadyness up north!

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    Re: Three Rivers Fishing 2017/01/20 23:55:01 (permalink)
      Fished from Franklin down thru Lawranceville on the Allegh. over the yrs. Up north you need a canoe, wade, shore or jet boat. Very diffrent types ov fishing. North... very little weeds/grass/ baitfish other than Crawdads/clams. Armstrong--- county deep water, Kittanning down... large water. Not way better fishing up north just a diffrent kind of fishing. Way more FISH & FOOD for 'em to be had below Emellton  to the Burgh.

crappy

It's all good 
    post edited by crappiefisher - 2017/01/21 01:01:52
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    Re: Three Rivers Fishing 2017/01/23 08:50:59 (permalink)
    crappiefisher
      Fished from Franklin down thru Lawranceville on the Allegh. over the yrs. Up north you need a canoe, wade, shore or jet boat. Very diffrent types ov fishing. North... very little weeds/grass/ baitfish other than Crawdads/clams. Armstrong--- county deep water, Kittanning down... large water. Not way better fishing up north just a diffrent kind of fishing. Way more FISH & FOOD for 'em to be had below Emellton  to the Burgh.

crappy

It's all good 

Only correct statement you made for this section of the Allegheny is canoes, wet wading/shore fishing and jet boats.
    post edited by psu_fish - 2017/01/23 08:52:02
    Jump to: