Reels

Author
Trapsh00ter25
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 50
  • Reward points: 0
2016/11/20 01:00:50 (permalink)

Reels

It's time to start looking for some new spinning reels. My old Abu Garcias are starting to break down on me, maintenance just isn't cutting it any more. I'd like to get a reel that will hold up for a long time and at the same time find something strong enough to use on salmon as I'm thinking of trying that next year up on the Ontario tribs. What's everyone using and what should I avoid based on experience.

4 Replies Related Threads

Smallsac
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 123
    Re: Reels 2016/11/20 09:09:22 (permalink)
    I started this year with the new Pflueger Supreme XT, lasted two days before removed from the rod.  Kept getting line under spool, switched spools and line type, still happened at $180.00 thought was overpriced and unreliable. 

Went back to what has worked for me for years, Okuma.  Had the Hardstone which was a Cabelas exclusive model for 7 years before bearings began wearing; for price to repair I picked up the Inspira, been using since September and had no problems.  Price point isn't bad and it just works, no problems.  Pflueger President isn't bad either.  Penns are good, especially older SS series; have Battle II & Conquer, not bad but not like older ones.  The Daiwa Lexa is also another good reel, has a high retrieve ratio (over 6:1) if that's what your into, I personally prefer 5:1 or 5.2:1.  I collect and have over 300 reels, above are some of the better models I would recommend.
    Trapsh00ter25
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 50
    Re: Reels 2016/11/20 23:05:13 (permalink)
    Thanks man most appreciated! I've been using my Abus since I started over 15 years ago and they have been very good to me. The only other reel I've ever used up there is an old Mitchell 300 but I keep it as a backup these days. Everything else I have is either too big such as my salt reels or super ultralights I use on the small streams.
    Smallsac
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 123
    Re: Reels 2016/11/21 01:13:51 (permalink)
    No Problem...You may find yourself scratching your head, with size..... I prefer a size 2500-3000 (25-30 for some makers) for Erie & size 4000 for Lake Ontario.  Reason being you will generally use smaller diameter/lb test for Erie tribs compared to Lake Ontario tribs.   To spool a size 4000 reel with 4 or 6 pound would cost you a fortune, must consider spool capacity, most lines are sold in 200 yard spools.  I've had days on Lake O rivers where water was high with fish were snapping 12lb like it was 1lb test & had to respool with 17lb; wouldn't get much line that size on 3000 series reels.  Might be good idea to get one in each size.  Considering that most manufacturers no longer include a spare spool; see if you can pick up a spare for each one, comes in reel handy at times.  I've seen & handled some of the newer Abus, they don't seem bad, but never really used... (unfortunately, only high end still made in Sweden, outsourced most models to China)...Hold onto that old Mitchell, they don't make them like that anymore and are collectors items; especially if its a half bail with a rosewood handle (was the first 300, big bucks).  Seen 300s get shredded in NY from Salmon/steelhead.  The 300x appears to be a quality reel, I used one couple times this summer and didn't have any issues.  It did feel however, a little heavier than other reels similarly sized.  I like the Okumas', high number of bearings, reliable and decent price. Go somewhere where you can handle several different makes/models, narrow your choices and go online; probably save bunch money vs. direct from retailer.
    jat1007
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 193
    Re: Reels 2016/11/21 08:17:47 (permalink)
    pflueger president... use them for everything... i have a pflueger supreme i use for steel and even use in ny... its one of the older ones... never have had a problem

Jump to: