How close is too close

Author
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
2016/11/19 16:58:28 (permalink)

How close is too close

You know there is a story to follow. I feel a minimum of 2 to 3 pole lengths and that cutting it close. In a crowded place if someone comes in 2 pole lengths  from me  I would grumble but be ok......... if there was water around I would expect more of course.
post edited by Clint S - 2016/11/19 17:00:51

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

20 Replies Related Threads

chartist
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 925
    Re: How close is too close 2016/11/19 18:48:41 (permalink)
    Fly fisherman need a bit more room.
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: How close is too close 2016/11/19 22:36:34 (permalink)
    Wish I knew what ya'll are talkin' about, but I can guess if it trolls up Ohio, it must be LFZ!

A lot of the "fly fishermen" in the LFZ require the same amount of room as the old time lifters.  Welcome to PacManistan! 
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: How close is too close 2016/11/20 08:10:49 (permalink)
    Yes it was the LFZ. Since most of my reports won't be complete without a rant it will come later.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: How close is too close 2016/11/20 14:54:04 (permalink)
    Old time has become the new.  When there was actual steel in numbers, Wayne and I did well fishing next to each other and timing casts and drifts within a rod's  length, but that takes  focus  and is hard to do with strangers.  I've fished very close with HT, too.  I think Clint and I fished the upper rock timing drifts and casts.  My usual gauge is distance  to  mid-river or fishable seam, measured downstream. In the LFZ, 30  feet or 3 rod lengths will do it.  I agree inside 2 is too close, Clint. 
    chartist
    Expert Angler
    Re: How close is too close 2016/11/20 15:46:50 (permalink)
    Had a guy cast over my shoulder on Elk Creek in Erie.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: How close is too close 2016/11/20 15:53:58 (permalink)
    So I get there at 0430 second guy there. I ad alot of rigging to do so I was busy under my light for an hour.  0615 rolls (15 before fishing time) and some guy rolls in and stands pretty much in front of me. I jump down and say nicely '' I'm setting up here''. He says ''that's ok I'm right here''  Like he was giving ME permission. He was literally 10.5 feet away (I  have a 10 foot rod ).  The guy above me even came over and said in a loud voice '' you got here at 040 and he jumps in''.  There was plenty of space on the bank where his buddy was fishing.  I asked him if he thought he was to close and he said '' no I just time it with you''. He was down from me limiting my drift.  I then told him " stay if you want, but l'm left handed and I a hit you or snag you its on you AND since I was here first I would in no circumstance adjust my casting and drifting. He just said ok.  I literally hit him twice and snagged his coat once, never moved. All my drifts were held extra  time he either waited or just casted over.  Lines were snagged several time too.  Sorry thing is as he was not acting like an azzhat, he just had no clue.  He had plenty off good spots open too. 

On a side note the guy just before the undercut was having a stellar day. He snagged the guy across from him on the rock and as he untangled   he yelled over. "your illegal your weight is SIX FEET above your hook. He just said ''i measured it last night''  Being he was 30 feet from me (azzhat was between) def saw he was above  and had too much. 

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: How close is too close 2016/11/20 16:30:16 (permalink)
    That's to bad Clint and one of the things that discourage me from fishing the river .
    I don't like getting to a spot where nobody is and then have someone jump in my pocket . I don't like timing my casts with someone I don't know and getting to the river at O ' dark thirty is about over for me .

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: How close is too close 2016/11/20 16:42:46 (permalink)
    There was no timing on my part, I was a complete azz about it.

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3066
    Re: How close is too close 2016/11/20 18:11:46 (permalink)
    Welll-- know getting in early is great for fish but gotta admit- when living part time up there slept in and fished when I got there and wherever was left open.
    If an azzhat showed up - left quick for an open place- -the quality of which meant little- just happy to be there and avoided idiots for my own pleasures.
    Had all the time in the world to be on the river and numbers never mean squat anymore. 

Noticed right away on my last trip- first without my place there in years- that the whole thing changed- was up early and on the river quick.

Clint - understand what happened to ya and frankly woulda moved off somepalce- idiots just aint worth the effort of being upset.
    Whoever they are they aint important enough to ruin my day- and am too darned old to ruin theirs anymore.
    ( now and then some idiot really tempts me though)

post edited by r3g3 - 2016/11/20 18:23:46
    3fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 668
    Re: How close is too close 2016/11/20 19:17:36 (permalink)
    Azz hats are now common place on the river these days not that I have fished a lot lately but got a float in 2 Mondays ago and the scene hasn't changed much except a lot more spey guys, and the beads and floats are still the craze. Clint in my experience the getting there 2 hours before light is only necessary during salmon season unless your fishing the zones, for steel I don't mind hitting the water till about 9ish with a nice cold day and a big bright sun! As  far as distance between fisherman I can remember touching elbows with guys on either side of me, I don't fish the zones so during steel if not plugging I try to find spots where the nearest fisherman is 50 yards away can be difficult at times but last float saw a lot of nice open water and also saw guys all jammed up when they didn't need to be. Restaurant closed on turkey day so the plug rods will be thumping about 830;) Happy Holidays to all! 3 out peace
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: How close is too close 2016/11/20 19:30:51 (permalink)
    Well Trev most of my days are like your former. Get up whenever,  get in wherever  and move on if needed. I usually only get up early a few times a year and when I do I hope for the best spot and will settle for no less if it is available. I would be just as disappointed or more fishing in another spot knowing the only reason I got up was to get that spot.  Would rather go home.  So making his day miserable made me happy.  If I had to do it again I would of got up earlier to get the other spot. I guess better luck would have made it more bearable too.

3 I don't mind crowds, but there was a TON of decent open water around for him to go to.  If I was in his boots there were many spots I would of been happy with. I got up early with the premise of getting one of three spots and I got #2,  honestly if all three were taken I probably would of went back home and come back at 0900.
    All good, not like I did not get to fish and the added excitement made it exciting as the catching for me was not.  Hope  the rod bends good on t day for ya.
    post edited by Clint S - 2016/11/20 19:41:50

twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: How close is too close 2016/11/21 08:51:39 (permalink)
    If it made you happy Clint I'll say nicely done.

But don't ever let someone elses apsehat ruin your pleasure.
    They are not worth getting upset over!

For me in the LFZ you have to learn to deal with lots of crap.
    That is just the way it is.

Just do what makes you happy!

Tough year.
    My only bite was on the wall from a domestic rainbow

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: How close is too close 2016/11/21 12:12:58 (permalink)
    [tube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyihQtBes1I[/tube]
    Could never get the you tube to work
    Sheryl crow
    "if it makes you happy'' (it can't be that bad)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyihQtBes1I
    post edited by Clint S - 2016/11/21 12:15:00

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: How close is too close 2016/11/23 21:54:12 (permalink)
    Good luck tonight and tomorrow 3 man as well as all that venture out on thanksgiving day.
    Thanks to all here who have given to me the pleasure of sharing water and more .
    Peace & Tuna

chartist
    Expert Angler
    Re: How close is too close 2016/12/17 14:36:47 (permalink)
    When fishing the DSR at the spring hole, after I landed and released a fish, a guy stood directly across from my spot by about 20 feet.  There were several salmon just to his left which I had been casting to.  I continued to cast to those fish.  If that chowder head thought I wouldn't just because he was there, he was mistaken.  I had a lot of lead on too.  Some of my casts were just three feet away from him....I figured, he knew I was there and casting to that area and it was his choice.  He was a definite neophyte.  After about 20 minutes of seeing a lot of lead heading in his general direction, he moved.  He wasn't an azzhat, just a newbie.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: How close is too close 2016/12/17 19:49:28 (permalink)
    I like walking on and in water where I don't stand 3 ' or 300 yards from other folks .
    BTDT ..

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: How close is too close 2017/01/04 21:53:23 (permalink)
    Just a resurface.
    Nothing to do with the original thread but I find it strange reading a recent report elsewhere.
    Kiddie pool and church hole.
    Dredging is dirty . Swinging a long pole with a weighted fly and leader using a big belly is clean . Bobbers suck.
    But yet it's the draw of fish in a concentrated area that brought anglers .
    Oh Yea a plug will steal their face .
    What type of fishing on the river is acceptable ?

Ice fishing makes the choice and all the worries behind.

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: How close is too close 2017/01/05 13:11:43 (permalink)
    hot tuna
    Just a resurface.
    Nothing to do with the original thread but I find it strange reading a recent report elsewhere.
    Dredging is dirty . Swinging a long pole with a weighted fly and leader using a big belly is clean . Bobbers suck.

I prefer to swing wet flies for Steelhead.  If I have a long belly in the line, I am not effectively swinging, and I don't tie weighted flies except Intruders and I find them nearly impossible to cast.  Versi tip leaders get a fly down on a straight line with little mending and a lot less stress on my back then casting shot.  That said they are not good for dead drift nymphing and since all the reports indicated that stonefly nymphs and small egg patterns were the ticket, I switched to a standard tapered leader and a couple of bb's mid way through Tuesday, then switched back when we fished better swing water in Pineville.  If I want to watch a bobber, I'll spin fish with eggs.  When people are dredging with in excess of 1/8 ounce of weight and getting a twitch every time the drift starts coning up, they are snagging, but without the twitch I have no problem with bottom bouncers.  The attraction of LFZ was both the reported concentration of fish and the relative ease of access. With so few lots plowed and long, icy walks to any water other than Altmar, Ellis or Pineville, our choices were limited.  Even then the stairs at LFZ were treacherous on Tuesday, and it was even difficult to access the wall above the bridge when it opened up.  The concentration of people was in Altmar as virtually nothing else was accessible unless you were in a boat or stayed in the water, and you are not travelling far in the water up there.  

I've heard some folks allege that jigging for Lakers has its Dark side, too.
    post edited by Lucky13 - 2017/01/05 13:13:28
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: How close is too close 2017/01/05 13:16:07 (permalink)
    What type of fishing on the river is acceptable?

As long as they are fishing and trying to entice the fish to hit whatever they are fishing with is good with me.If they are trying to "HOOK" a fish by deliberate methods,lifting,snatching,etc. then they should be hauled off and fined heavily.
    twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: How close is too close 2017/01/06 17:30:31 (permalink)
    hot tuna
    Just a resurface.

Was that a recent report?
    I was fishing the Church hole a couple days ago and there was nobody there fishing with a big belly in their line.
    As a matter of fact for a while I was the only person on the south side and nobody was on the north side.
    Hope their day went better than mine.

PS--- if any real SR anglers are fishing soon be real carefull .
    Refrosen melt topped by a bit of freezing rain= slippery as snot.

Jump to: