Author
smally hunter
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 287
  • Reward points: 0
2016/10/25 10:38:09 (permalink)

General weed question

Reading the pymie pages about weed
growth and how they are still grown ECT .. would that in turn mean a better chance for livelier weeds when ice finally hits our lakes ? I inquire because the first year I ice fished heavily 2010-11 on conneaut lake near the fish commission launch on the north end there was lush green vegatation .. where as the other two years I fished there 2013-14 and 14-15 the weeds were very dead.. I could research these things but slot
of you guys that frequent this section of the site seem to be quite knowledgeable as to these things .. meanwhile at 24 I feel as though I'm just beginning to learn
post edited by smally hunter - 2016/10/25 10:39:15
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1156
Re: General weed question 2016/10/25 16:30:32 (permalink)
To go along with the comment old dog made about the snow cover, maybe the ice thickness has some effect as well. If I remember right, the 2 years you're saying they were brown we had harsh winters with alot of ice. Not sure, just a thought. Regardless, I hope we have a winter with lots of ice. Last year was a bummer for the most part.
smally hunter
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 287
Re: General weed question 2016/10/25 20:12:26 (permalink)
All makes sense .. I'm just chomping at the bit without a boat ice provides me with some of the best chances to get em .. I got some steep goals for Conny if the ice comes and the weeds sure do assist in that
treesparrow
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 651
Re: General weed question 2016/10/25 21:33:46 (permalink)
smally hunter, What a great question. I can go along with old dog & crappy Slayer with their theory as the weather those years was quite different. This is a real think question. And weeds that are green would if still functioning give off oxygen which would play into fish patterns. What a good subject.
  We need a savvy fresh water Limnologist.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: General weed question 2016/10/25 22:00:06 (permalink)
Well here's a subject that catches my interest and anyone who has read my rants and ravings regarding  weeds in our area lakes, know how I feel about the Psu Fish and Boat Commission and their "stupid" weed program.

As for everybody else, hell they know I can't keep my nose out of a good subject so, without further ado, here is my contribution.
http://www.in-fisherman.com/panfish/panfish-in-the-weeds-under-the-ice/

Good thread smally hunter! 

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/10/25 22:01:40

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

treesparrow
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 651
Re: General weed question 2016/10/26 07:51:00 (permalink)
BTDT, Good article. I ice fish and find most gills and crappys associated with weeds or structure.
fishin coyote
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1668
Re: General weed question 2016/10/26 08:19:40 (permalink)
Smally,
The reasons the weeds were dead in your example had nothing to do with the ice/lake etc. It was because they sprayed them in late summer in that area.
Mike

Nothing is Free!!
Reward equals Effort

GilliganJR
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 298
Re: General weed question 2016/10/26 10:19:30 (permalink)
the title of this thread is also misleading.  
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1156
Re: General weed question 2016/10/26 11:33:30 (permalink)
fishin coyote
Smally,The reasons the weeds were dead in your example had nothing to do with the ice/lake etc. It was because they sprayed them in late summer in that area.Mike

Good call. Forgot they spray them there. Wouldn't this make them brown every winter though, or was it just the timing of it those years?
The Ref
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 180
Re: General weed question 2016/10/27 07:53:03 (permalink)
Exactly what Coyote said. The weeds at Conneaut have been brown for most of the last two seasons because of chemical treatment. Supposedly they're going to treat pymatunning because of a weed they want to get rid of. Heard that from a park guy at Snodgrass one day doing a survey.
chauncy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1298
Re: General weed question 2016/10/27 08:07:34 (permalink)
They already treated Pymy. Saw twenty buckets in the Jamestown dumpster in June. Asked Chuck the ranger about it and got the news. I noticed my bluegill weed areas never fully developed this summer and some areas were almost completely void of weeds. May have to find some new areas for gills thru the ice this season.
outasync
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 730
Re: General weed question 2016/10/27 09:24:51 (permalink)
That's because of the hydrilla that's started to take over. I know parts of Conneaut were about destroyed from the stuff this past year. Some of our best musky areas didn't even hold pike it got so thick with the stuff.

I was told Bay 41 at pymie got so thick with it that it was impossible to launch from there towards the end of August. I haven't been up since around the end of July so I don't know own if that's accurate or not.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: General weed question 2016/10/27 22:16:07 (permalink)
My bad... Wasn't Hydrilla I vas seeing.. Heh heh stupid me.😏
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/03/02 03:14:03

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

backpackergirl
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: General weed question 2017/02/28 13:32:25 (permalink)
Hello All. This thread was passed along to me and I thought I might be able to provide some insight into Pymatuning. I currently work as one of the assistant managers at PA Pymatuning. We did treat for hydrilla this past season. Hydrilla is currently only present south of the causeway. It looks very similar to Elodea which is what you are seeing at Conneaut Lake. You are probably seeing Eurasian Watermilfoil by the spillway. Hydrilla first appeared in PA in the mid-1990's and was identified in Pymatuning Lake in 2010. Even with our treatments in 2016 the population increased 3x over 2015's survey. All species present in Pymatuning Lake did extremely well with growth in 2016 with dry conditions and high water clarity. We will be treating again in 2017 to try to at least contain the spread of hydrilla. You can all help by checking your boats before launching to make sure you don't have any hitchhikers and letting us know if you see hydrilla north of the causeway or in Conneaut Lake. GPS coordinates are fantastic. Please let me know if I can answer any other questions for you.
chauncy
Pro Angler
Re: General weed question 2017/02/28 15:32:02 (permalink)
Will you be taking surveys again this spring at the Jamestown launch area? Think i may have talked to you a few times there.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Hydrilla 2017/03/01 20:39:17 (permalink)
Provided by Texas A & M...

Hydrilla is a perennial plant that forms dense colonies and can grow to the surface in water over 20 feet deep. Hydrilla branches profusely and after reaching the surface it extends across it forming thick mats. Hydrilla can reproduce by fragmentation, from seeds, from turions (axilary buds), and from tubers. Leaves are blade-like about 1/8 inch and 3/8 inch long with small tooth margins and spines on the underside of the midrib which make them feel rough. Leaves are usually 4 to 8 in a whorl.

Hydrilla is native to Europe and Asia and was probably brought to the U.S. for the aquarium industry. It is considered a noxious pest because it grows so rapidly, out competing and eliminating native species, and forming surface mats that hinder recreation, navigation, and water intakes.

Hydrilla is often confused with the native Elodea or the non-native Egeria. Hydrilla has one or more teeth on the underside of the midrib, neither Elodea nor Egeria have these midrib teeth. The teeth make Hydrilla feel rough when drawn through your hand from base to tip. Flowers of Hydrilla are much smaller (1/4 inch in diameter) than Egeria.

Submerged portions of all aquatic plants provide habitats for many micro and macro invertebrates. These invertebrates in turn are used as food by fish and other wildlife species (e.g. amphibians, reptiles, ducks, etc.). After aquatic plants die, their decomposition by bacteria and fungi provides food (called “detritus”) for many aquatic invertebrates. Hydrilla turions and tubers are consumed by some ducks but generally it is not considered a good wildlife food.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/03/02 04:05:32

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: General weed question 2017/03/01 21:18:24 (permalink)
BPgirl what are the chances of it entering down stream into Shenango Lake ? I thought I read it's still capable of living or spreading even after it's cut or broke off. In that case Shenango could be on the next infected list. Shenango does run deeper then Pymy over all so that might help but it has it's shallow sections too.

From what I read it's almost a loosing battle in time, by your report of it tripling with treatment should raise major concerns in all waterways infected ! 
sky12
New Angler
Re: General weed question 2017/03/02 07:40:55 (permalink)
The seasonal winter drawdown would limit the impacts of Hydrilla on the Shenango drainage basin. I have only observed one aquatic plant in a Shenango Lake embayment, that was Carex which is no longer present.
backpackergirl
New Angler
Re: General weed question 2017/03/07 09:10:50 (permalink)
To answer some of the questions- Yes the invasive species check stations will be occurring once again this summer. We are also installing invasive species disposal stations at all launches around the lake including Ohio's and wash stations at Jamestown Marina, Espyville Launch, and Linesville Marina.

Unfortunately some hydrilla was found in the Shenango River near our kayak launch last summer. So yes there is a very good chance that it will be moving downstream to Shenango Reservoir. As far as winter drawdowns, they have been shown not be affective in controlling monecious hydrilla. The tubers can persist through severe conditions and we are being told the best time to do a drawdown for monecious hydrilla would be mid-summer which obviously is not a possibility.  
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: General weed question 2017/03/07 10:58:20 (permalink)
Not very good news for Pymatuning or Shenango's future as of now. Major spreading problem is Shenango water continues south bound to the Gulf of Mexico eventually !
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: General weed question 2017/03/07 11:56:45 (permalink)
If you see weeds and wonder if it is Hydrilla the following "quick test" was taken from a previous post.

Hydrilla is often confused with the native Elodea or the non-native Egeria. Hydrilla has one or more teeth on the underside of the midrib, neither Elodea nor Egeria have these midrib teeth. The teeth make Hydrilla feel rough when drawn through your hand from base to tip. ~ Texas A & M.

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: General weed question 2017/03/07 18:48:17 (permalink)
I'll admit I don't know one water weed from another......just ticks me off when they stick on my lures !....lol    I'll have to be more observant into the future.

What's amazing is how resilient some water weeds are! They completely drained a small lake in our town, dug it out deeper, refilled it and it's already half choked up with weeds a few years later.....unreal.      
sky12
New Angler
Re: General weed question 2017/03/08 22:06:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby old dog 2017/03/08 22:13:12
Learned something new, did not realize there are two variant forms of Hydrilla, the more I learn the more I learn that I do not know.

Hydrilla: Ask the Expert James Balyszak  /  Cornell University Cooperative Extention
CCE Invasive Species Program

Q: How effective is drawdown as a control technique for Hydrilla and what depth is recommended in order to completely eliminate populations? Does the effectiveness depend on snowfall and winter temperatures?
A: For drawdown to be effective, the soil temperatures and sediment need to experience a hard freeze to affect the hydrilla tubers. Drawing down the water will expose the sediment to air temperatures, which must fall below freezing for a semi-extended time. Snow cover will act to insulate the exposed sediment, which can reduce drawdown effectiveness.
Q: How did hydrilla get to the U.S.? Where is it from?
A: Hydrilla first arrived in the U.S. in Florida in the late 1950’s through the aquarium trade. An aquarium was most likely dumped into a local waterway, and from there hydrilla spread throughout Florida and beyond. The strain of hydrilla in the southern states (dioecious hydrilla) originated in Sri Lanka.
The strain of hydrilla found in the northern climates (monoecious hydrilla), originated in Korea, and has the ability to withstand colder environments. While we cannot pinpoint the exact cause of infestation, there are several possibilities. Transport of hydrilla fragments on a boat/trailer/equipment from an infested water body is the most likely cause. An illegal aquarium dumping is also a possibility. Unfortunately, hydrilla was discovered after the infestation had become established, so it is nearly impossible to determine the original cause of the infestation.
backpackergirl
New Angler
Re: General weed question 2017/03/09 08:44:30 (permalink)
Old Dog- I will check out the northwest corner of the causeway this summer. For Bennett Bay- I'm assuming you are referring to the small bay that Bennett Run flows into just south of the spillway between the spillway, Hartstown Road and Fries Road? We treated the Phragmites in that area this past September. I noticed the bay was full of lotus but didn't see any hydrilla. Let me know if you are referring to a different area.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: General weed question 2017/03/14 10:55:00 (permalink)
What time of year do they treat Hydrilla at Pymy ? How many times also?  Does the treatment chemical affect any fish or other aquatic life at all ?   
opsman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 265
Re: General weed question 2017/03/14 11:13:01 (permalink)
I'm like the Captain, really don't know one from another, just weeds.  But I do have a couple questions as well.  One, wayyyy back when, probably thirty years or better, there was a huge downturn in the perch population.  Not only numbers, but size as well.  Pymie used to have fantastic perch fishing in regards to very large specimens being caught.  11 and 12 inch perch were not uncommon.  Rumor back then was they treated the weeds and it really decimated the perch population.  Do you believe there was any truth to that, or was it even possible?
The other question I have is a bay that I used to launch my boat in, As you approach the spillway it would be on the left (southwest?) side of the road.  You have to exit the bay under the old railway bridge to enter the main lake.  I used to use that bay all year, even though it's nothing more than a sandy beach, but now by May it is choked full of what looks like lily pads!  What caused that?  Same with many areas all throughout the northend.  I assume the nitrogen rich run off from the farms had something to do with this, but how/what are the plans to contain  or reverse it?

"Fair winds and following seas..."
backpackergirl
New Angler
Re: General weed question 2017/03/14 15:05:51 (permalink)
Captain Hook- For 2016 we used two different herbicides to treat the hydrilla. Sonar (fluridone) is granular and required three treatments starting when growth first starts in from the tubers. In 2016 it was once in June, once in July and once in August.  Aquathol (endothall) is liquid injection and is a one time treatment. We did one treatment in July. Both are labeled specifically for hydrilla and showed differing strengths and weaknesses.  While they can impact other vascular plants in the treatment area, there are zero water use restrictions for drinking, fishing, swimming, or livestock/pet consumption at the concentrations used.

Opsman- The "lily pads" you are seeing are American Lotus. Though native to the US, the species first appeared in Pymatuning in the late 90's and quickly became invasive causing access issues to mooring areas and launches. The park attempted using the weed harvester to control and found it to be ineffective. We now selectively treat certain areas to keep navigation channels open. As far as perch populations, speaking with the other assistant manager here, we believe it was due to a few factors. I can say that the herbicide treatments that were done should have absolutely not had any impact to the perch. More likely that was the time that walleye and crappie were really getting established. The perch simply couldn't compete. Also perch tend to like deeper water than what Pymatuning Lake can provide.
chauncy
Pro Angler
Re: General weed question 2017/03/14 18:52:43 (permalink)
Even tho it doesn't affect the fish, it does affect where the fish will be. Weedbeds that had produced great catches of gills and crappies for numerous years were practically devoid of the beds that were normally there last season. I did manage to find some areas that still held bedding gills but not nearly the numbers of years past. I'll adapt to where the fish move too. Just hope it doesn't turn out like Shenango is, with very few weed beds for the bigger gills to spawn in.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: General weed question 2017/03/14 19:04:18 (permalink)
Now if ducks and geese eat those Hydrilla plants at Pymy and fly over to Mosquito Lake and deposit their droppings there, are those seeds or whatever capable of spreading ? 

Shenango had good weeds when it was first flooded......no more.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3349
Re: General weed question 2017/03/14 19:59:46 (permalink)
 Waterfowl spread all kinds ov stuff, ain't gonna stop it from spreading. Buddy dug a hole last spring in yard & filled with water for frogs. By end ov summer full of minnies from birds.

crappy
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to: