Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Captain George
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 23
  • Reward points: 0
2016/10/25 14:45:43 (permalink)

Keeping Fish

The majority of fishers like myself pay for a license to catch fish to eat. simple. stop complaining about people keeping fish. fish have been kept for years and years and they are still there in the creeks year after year. I know the run hasn't been like past years but instead of ****ing and complaining about it go out and enjoy urself and keep quiet. I fished with my dad this weekend we each caught 3 in 2 hours. everyone we bumped into had nothing to say besides there's no more fish blah blah blah. guy had the nerve to say "theres no fish in the creek and u genius' wana keep 6".. well ya jagoff, there are fish in the creek and yes we want to keep 6, woulda kept 100 if the limit allowed. enjoy gods creation and stop the ****ing
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
Re: Keeping Fish 2016/10/25 15:06:24 (permalink)
LOL....

"theres no fish in the creek and u genius' wana keep 6"

6 fish in two hours .
were you accused of snagging or lining/lifting too?

prob'ly not
I think you have to catch like 4-6  an hour ea on a slow bite day before the accusations start to fly ....

Do you really eat these nasty tasting things?
if so, what's your favorite way to bury the foul taste?
Tons of spices and smOke?

do you eat sky carp too?
(that's goose to those not aware)

..L.T.A.
jat1007
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 193
Re: Keeping Fish 2016/10/25 15:28:24 (permalink)
GEORGE calm down you might bust a nut.... dont complain come December when you cant find fish....

Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: Keeping Fish 2016/10/25 15:39:56 (permalink)
captaingeorge
The majority of fishers like myself pay for a license to catch fish to eat. 

I like to keep a few myself every now and then, but let's be honest . . .

Most hunters and fishers could be eating wild salmon or ribeyes for dinner 3 nights a week for what we spend on travel, gear, licenses and time for hunting and fishing.  We pay for a license because we enjoy the pursuit and the experience.  If we like to eat fish and game, it's a bonus.  

As for the complainers, I don't really see anyone "complaining" on here much.  Offering some common sense solutions about reducing limits a little bit to help a fishery in decline.  If the worst thing that happened to you this weekend was someone complaining about you keeping too many fish, I'd say you had a pretty good weekend.  
Pro Angler
Re: Keeping Fish 2016/10/25 15:51:40 (permalink)
genieman77
if so, what's your favorite way to bury the foul taste?
Tons of spices and smOke?

do you eat sky carp too?
(that's goose to those not aware)

..L.T.A.

there's not a piece of chicken, beef, fowl or wild game out there that i don't do something to before i cook it.  same with fish.  you?

soak a steelhead fillet or two overnight in water, brown sugar and pickling salt.  put it in the smoker for a couple hours, with very light applewood smoke.  delish.  

as fisher of men said in another thread a few days ago, bleed 'em right away (which i do as soon as they go on the stringer) and keep 'em cold in the water or in a cooler.  

Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9685
Re: Keeping Fish 2016/10/25 15:52:00 (permalink)
On the topic of keeping fish, below is great for snipping the gills of larger fish to bleed them out.  These fish are too big to pull out effectively with your fingers (often cut your finger trying), and pain to use a knife.  Tire plug reamer is good to give them a death spike to the brain, if you feel the need to put them out of their misery.  If you are more the sadistic type, put them back in to be tortured a few more times by flies in their backs or hooked in (or around) their mouths while they try to eat or avoid being tricked, then dragged around, before being pulled on shale bank, handled with dry bare hands, and photo opt with a thumb in their gills, or just kicked back in for the same thing to happen again.

http://www.harborfreight....el-scissors-97042.html
D-nymph
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6701
Re: Keeping Fish 2016/10/25 15:52:50 (permalink)
captaingeorge
The majority of fishers like myself pay for a license to catch fish to eat. simple. stop complaining about people keeping fish. fish have been kept for years and years and they are still there in the creeks year after year. I know the run hasn't been like past years but instead of ****ing and complaining about it go out and enjoy urself and keep quiet. I fished with my dad this weekend we each caught 3 in 2 hours. everyone we bumped into had nothing to say besides there's no more fish blah blah blah. guy had the nerve to say "theres no fish in the creek and u genius' wana keep 6".. well ya jagoff, there are fish in the creek and yes we want to keep 6, woulda kept 100 if the limit allowed. enjoy gods creation and stop the ****ing

haha.

God stocks the stealhedz you guys so shut up, George doesn't want to hear your yammering!
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9685
Re: Keeping Fish 2016/10/25 16:01:50 (permalink)
rsquared

there's not a piece of chicken, beef, fowl or wild game out there that i don't do something to before i cook it.  same with fish.  you?

Agree.  Even a nice ribeye is better with salt & pepper or spices.  It has it's own built in "butter", in the amount of fat they have.

I have a feeling, many cook steel head with skin on.  Which isn't bad, but it traps the bloodline in the fish.  If that red meat is removed, steel head is a lot milder tasting.
cbeagler
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1811
Re: Keeping Fish 2016/10/25 17:15:40 (permalink)
The trolling thread is a few lines down.

genieman77
Pro Angler
Re: Keeping Fish 2016/10/25 19:44:10 (permalink)
rsquared

seasoning  can "enhance' the flavor of some fin, feather and fur critters
or they're good plain too

the one's you "just have to know how to cook" to make edible ..is code word for  "they taste like crAp, so you bury the real taste somehow"

i love chicken livers,  oysters cooked any way or raw.
I'll eat farm raised catfish by the bucket full

but there's two things that will never taste good to me no mater how you cook it ....steelheads and sweet potatoes
make it three things and add goose

..L.T.A.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Keeping Fish 2016/10/25 20:46:30 (permalink)
I kept a ton back in the glory days !
Remember the limits were even higher back then on the lake.
Use to brine up, hickory smoke , and glaze with melted brown sugar. Took them to work and the guys fought over them , hunting camp guys tore them up, I kept about 3-4 for myself.

Now days I release about 99% just don't feel like dragging a stringer around for hours.
Never said a word about people who rope that's their choice don't bother me at all.
Most fish won't return due to all the elements of nature and how many times can one fish be caught and played out over and over.

The argument isn't people keeping fish it's the low amount they are stocking past 5-7 years.
Crowd control in progress ! Won't change soon.

johnthefisherman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 425
Re: Keeping Fish 2016/10/25 21:08:25 (permalink)
The Erie steelhead complaints department manager is Helen Waite. 

If you have a complaint, contact Helen Waite. 

Pro Staff:
Liquid Mayhem: www.liquidmayhem.com
Lunker City: www.lunkercity.com
Titan Tungsten: www.titan-tungsten.com
Trophy Technology: www.trophytechnology.com 

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing 

PooFLinger
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 450
Re: Keeping Fish 2016/10/26 01:13:01 (permalink)
Lol i dont care either way... i just laugh because noone pays attention to the consumption advisories... gonna be walkin around with a nutsack growing on the side of your head hahaha

Gill em to kill em then Rope em smoke em
Mountian Man
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4118
Re: Keeping Fish 2016/10/26 06:56:02 (permalink)
D-nymph
captaingeorgeThe majority of fishers like myself pay for a license to catch fish to eat. simple. stop complaining about people keeping fish. fish have been kept for years and years and they are still there in the creeks year after year. I know the run hasn't been like past years but instead of ****ing and complaining about it go out and enjoy urself and keep quiet. I fished with my dad this weekend we each caught 3 in 2 hours. everyone we bumped into had nothing to say besides there's no more fish blah blah blah. guy had the nerve to say "theres no fish in the creek and u genius' wana keep 6".. well ya jagoff, there are fish in the creek and yes we want to keep 6, woulda kept 100 if the limit allowed. enjoy gods creation and stop the ****ing

haha. God stocks the stealhedz you guys so shut up, George doesn't want to hear your yammering!

Praise Allah

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
kill3ducks1deer
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 699
Re: Keeping Fish 2016/10/26 23:08:24 (permalink)
Everyone is crapping on geese, man you don't know what your missing, my dad cooked some up with this orange sauce a few years back and it was some of the best food I had eaten, then he lost the recipe and now we can't get a goose to save our life, but that was some good food when we had it.

"Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it." Ed Zern
SteelSlayer77
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 489
Re: Keeping Fish 2016/10/27 09:50:39 (permalink)
Steelhead can taste very good and mild when processed quickly after catching, and prepared within a day of the catch in my opinion.  They have the one of the highest Omega 3 fish oil contents of any fish, so if you don't bleed them immediately, get them on ice, and cook them within a day, then the fish oil will make the meat strong tasting.  That fish oil is one of the reasons why salmon/steelhead/trout are the best quality fish to smoke though, because the oil holds the smoke just like the fat on a pork shoulder or brisket.

I have a feeling that those of you who say it's foul tasting really can't cook very well or aren't preparing it fresh within 1 day of the catch, because almost any kind of fresh meat can taste amazing when prepared the right way.  I usually only keep a couple Steelhead in the afternoon of my last day on trips, right before I return home.  If you keep fish on ice for multiple days before you return home, or rope them in the morning and drag them up and down the creek for hours first, then yeah no matter what you do to cook them they will probably taste a little fishy or foul.  As someone else said; you should always cut the dark meat out of the center of the filet too, where the blood line is, as that meat is stronger tasting.
Here are a few of my favorite ways to make them.  Does anyone else prepare them differently than what I listed, that you would recommend trying?

1) Grilled - On a cedar plank, with your favorite dry rub

2) Chowder - The fish takes on the taste of the soup.  Steelhead/Asparagus Chowder is my favorite

3) Smoked - Either a dry brine slow smoked and preserved to eat with cheese/crackers, or a wet brine smoked hotter and quicker to eat as a hot meal.

4) Baked - Wrap a half of a crab cake with pieces of Steelhead filet, top with butter, lemon, bread crumbs, and paprika.

5) Fried - Beer battered and fried in hot oil with some homemade tarter sauce.  I like using Honey Brown or Yuengling Lager for the batter.
post edited by SteelSlayer77 - 2016/10/27 09:53:35
SteelSlayer77
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 489
Re: Keeping Fish 2016/10/27 10:05:32 (permalink)
fishfashfush
Lol i dont care either way... i just laugh because noone pays attention to the consumption advisories... gonna be walkin around with a nutsack growing on the side of your head hahaha

I pay attention to it, and only really keep a couple to eat a few times a year.  Most other people I know who bring home 3 - 6 fish on a trip, will usually give half or more of them away to family members or parents who like to eat them fresh right away.   I'd be willing to bet that even with the consumption advisories over PCBs (which do affect almost all fresh water fish in PA, not just lake Erie) that lake Steelhead are probably still safer than half the meat you buy in cellophane packs at the grocery store, or anything from McDonalds and most fast food places.  Those pink slime burgers fast food places sell, cleansed by pushing the burger through stainless tubes filled with amonia gas, and then re-colored and re-flavored with chemicals, should have consumption advisories on them as well!
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Keeping Fish 2016/10/27 11:04:23 (permalink)
I'm not big on goose, but I had a friend bring some in to work and it was almost like eating steak!
I would have never believed it . All in the preparation and seasoning . 
genieman77
Pro Angler
Re: Keeping Fish 2016/10/27 11:36:12 (permalink)
Consumption advisory.......

I'll give that some thought on the health risks as soon as I'm done eating my  forth little Debbie oatmeal cream pie slathered with creamy peanut butter and finished smoking my Lucky Strike.....

LTA
genieman77
Pro Angler
Re: Keeping Fish 2016/10/27 19:33:09 (permalink)
old dog
lol

cap, i had a bud who shot dozens of geese each year and turned them all into jerky.  i'm not sure what he seasoned them with but they were, by far, the best jerky i'd ever had.

I'll be honest, there was a guy that had a table next to mine  at the gun show.
He sold deer jerky and deer smokies...they were great
One time he brought in some  goose smokies ..they weren't "bad"

.L.T.A.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Keeping Fish 2016/10/28 07:48:28 (permalink)
Yes it's amazing how some people can prepare wild game or fish and make it really taste much better then others or even yours !

I see Arby's is going to sell venison sandwiches in Nov. at selected restaurants ! (New Castle )
"We have the Speed Beef "

worldbfreebase
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: Keeping Fish 2016/10/28 08:07:05 (permalink)
genieman77

the one's you "just have to know how to cook" to make edible ..is code word for  "they taste like crAp, so you bury the real taste someho

..L.T.A.

actually, it's code word for don't overcook it. the biggest mistake people make with goose is cooking it too long. It is a red meat with no fat. cook it beyond rare, maybe mid rare, and it turns into dried up liver. cook it truly rare with a cool center and it's as good as a steak. i treat it no different than beef.
ICE NUT
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1256
Re: Keeping Fish 2016/10/28 08:15:30 (permalink)
I'll take yellow perch and bluegill filets esp from ice any day over any trout cooked any way!!!!!!!
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: Keeping Fish 2016/10/28 08:29:25 (permalink)
Agree big gills,big crappie,big perch are about the best. Walleye is good but I prefer smaller eaters as to the Erie hogs. Steelhead are not my favorite but a piece of smoked properly sitting on cream cheese and a good cracker and a good beer isn't bad once in awhile. As to goose hot sticks there better than deer.
Pro Angler
Re: Keeping Fish 2016/10/28 09:23:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby genieman77 2016/10/28 19:38:38
old dog
tasted like a cross between dog food and leaves.

If you don't like dog food and leaves, it's because you're not preparing it the right way 
DownSouth1
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 102
Re: Keeping Fish 2016/10/28 09:55:03 (permalink)
George  it is not worth my time to  even argue with you
Captain George
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 23
Re: Keeping Fish 2016/10/28 09:59:32 (permalink)
thanks for your input DownSouth1
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3349
Re: Keeping Fish 2016/10/28 10:58:42 (permalink)
od,

I don't ice fish any more. Too tired to clean a bucket ov Perch & Crappie last night so dumped in cooler & smothered with ice. Just as tasty as ice fishin'.

Goose taste like roast beef 

Love blind robins,Sardines with mustard & eat anchovies right out ov the can 
Pig liver is a little tough to swallow.

crappy
post edited by crappiefisher - 2016/10/28 11:09:38
dano
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2983
Re: Keeping Fish 2016/10/28 12:40:16 (permalink)
So what I've gathered is that steelheds taste better if you hide the taste of the steelhead?

fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2215
Re: Keeping Fish 2016/10/28 12:47:11 (permalink)
Yes dano. Stop roping them! YOU are the reason we have no fish...you and your clan of elders...bait dunkin, worm slingin sack drippin jags...alla yinz! Yinz should become more dignified and practice catch and release fly fishing like the evolved amongst us.

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to: