Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
jat1007
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 193
  • Reward points: 0
2016/10/21 12:47:51 (permalink)

FISHING TECHNIQUE; SPIN, CENTERPIN, FLY

i prefer to spin fish... seems like every time i see a fly guy it causes such a disturbance on the water by constantly yanking like they have a bite and the flourescent line in the water.... center pin does seem intersting tho.... im content with spin fishing so i stick with that... thoughts, opinions, anything?

PooFLinger
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 450
Re: FISHING TECHNIQUE; SPIN, CENTERPIN, FLY 2016/10/21 13:08:19 (permalink)
When the fish are hot on spin, I spin.. but really the water/weather/fish dictate what I do.. if I need to sink a big glob of skein cuz they are hot for it and it's not feasible with a fly rod, I spin.

you can get away with a lot with a fly pole (using minnows, single eggs and egg sacks) like wise if your using a spinning rod and use sucker spawns or blood dots under a float

I just feel the fly pole presents a greater array of uses without having to walk back to the vehicle to swap rods.roll casting on crowded streams is easier than trying to control a 10+ noodle rod with combat fishin conditions.

Again, just opinion, for I'm no elitist haha

Gill em to kill em then Rope em smoke em
Divemaster
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 744
Re: FISHING TECHNIQUE; SPIN, CENTERPIN, FLY 2016/10/21 14:36:18 (permalink)
Almost all of my shore based fishing anymore is with a fly rod. Used to spin fish for Trout and tried it for steelhead last season, but it's just so limiting. With fly fishing, it feels more natural to cast and work fish, the presentations are much more fluid, and the flies used often imitate natural forage for the fish. Not to mention, the fight is 10X better on a fly rod and requires more skill to play a fish. But, I have nothing against spin fishermen and know some really nice ones, it's just not my thing anymore (other than open water casting). Fly fishing is an addiction for me and is overall (again, to me) more fun.
H3Fisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 340
Re: FISHING TECHNIQUE; SPIN, CENTERPIN, FLY 2016/10/21 14:46:28 (permalink)
Early seasonn I spin, later once in the creeks I fly. Much quicker to roll cast after a drift.

However, if the water flow is slow, I bring the spin gear out again.

I have been getting the itch to try center pin. But not sure if I want to spend the money on the gear and come to not liking it.
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9657
Re: FISHING TECHNIQUE; SPIN, CENTERPIN, FLY 2016/10/21 14:58:11 (permalink)
fishfashfush
roll casting on crowded streams is easier than trying to control a 10+ noodle rod with combat fishin conditions.

Above is what I always thought for the Erie tribs, at least for 90% of conditions.  Just easier to roll cast & mend line in the current, over and over again, rather than cast and retrieve line to keep tight with a noodle/spin rod.  To me, fly fishing the tribs is just a more efficient way to fish.  You cover more water, presentation is in the water longer and more often, and the little kids and those that don't know better think you are some sort of Gawd, if you catch fish on a fly rod...  In the lake, completely opposite.  Unless just roll casting the same offerings under a float 20' from you over and over.  For getting the fish that are out further, spin is much easier.  Those that fly fish the lake, double hauling, are likely having fun doing so, but not nearly as efficient as a spinning outfit.  Same thing with those using spinning gear in the creek, still having fun, but not as efficient of a tool.  Usually, the difference of someone using a fly rod in the lake vs. a spinning rod in the stream, is the fly fisherman is looking for more of a challenge.  They are lying their teeth off if they use that line about fishing in the streams though.

The constant yanking like a bite, is a smart thing to do.  Try it with your spin gear.  Often times your bobber (or in Erie, insecure fishermen refer to as a strike indicator) stops or makes a slightly different movement, it is a fish.  Steelhead 101, when in doubt, set the hook.  With a fly rod, you can just pull the slack and slight set (almost jigging motion), if you feel resistance, finish the set, if not can let it keep floating and got a little jigging action.  Not really as easily done with a spinning rod, unless you happen to have your line tight every drift, then open your bail and let drift more.  Like said, just easier with the fly rod.  Not sure if an offering pulled from the water is any more spooky than an offering reeled in at 20mph?  

I would think in complete gin conditions, someone fishing a spin outfit, sneaking up on a pool of fish, might have an advantage of someone using a bright colored floating line.  When in the Erie tribs are you able to sneak up on a pool of fish, that someone isn't already standing over?  Maybe 5AM, when they usually aren't as skittish?

With the amount of rain Pgh got today, Erie is going to be a zoo this weekend.  Doesn't even matter if Erie got a drop...

genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
Re: FISHING TECHNIQUE; SPIN, CENTERPIN, FLY 2016/10/21 15:23:22 (permalink)
jat1007
i prefer to spin fish... seems like every time i see a fly guy it causes such a disturbance on the water by constantly yanking like they have a bite and the flourescent line in the water.... center pin does seem intersting tho.... im content with spin fishing so i stick with that... thoughts, opinions, anything?

many, if not most of the  flyroders I've observed  on Pa steel tribs would be better served with a spin rod ...cause what I see for the most part are guys "chuck n dunk" fishing ...right angle dead drifting flies/jigs (or bait)  and weight under a float 
One can do that as well and better with a spin rod .
They'd also increase their repertoire by enabling them to cast n retrieve spoons and crank baits

where flyrod shines are the myriad of different presentations it allows that are more difficult to impossible to do with spin outfits
It's not easy to cast weightless or bobberless with spin out fits.....flyrod excels at that
Flyrod fishes the fast/broken water much better too (WAY less hanging up on the bottom/rocks for some reason)
with mending fly line, it  also allows one to push, pull or swing the  presentation better as well

I fished flies under a spin outfit for years ...and thought I had it figgerd out
but I really didn't know what I didn't know......  til I started flailing the flyrod

..the first year was terribly frustrating learning the mechanics of the casts ...I almost gave up
for some unknown, unexplained reason, the following year I did way better and had very little trouble  ...."unexplained" because I didn't do any casting or technique  practice at all from the first season to the next

Right  angle fishing under a float...or dragging junk along the bottom, spin is better
for pret'near everything else, flyrod allows more/better/different presentations
imHo anyway

..L.T.A.
Mountian Man
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4118
Re: FISHING TECHNIQUE; SPIN, CENTERPIN, FLY 2016/10/21 15:38:46 (permalink)
Spinning all the way for me...had a 13' noodle rod built..no casting just use it like a cane pole.

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2213
Re: FISHING TECHNIQUE; SPIN, CENTERPIN, FLY 2016/10/21 16:02:04 (permalink)
Gin clear slow flow, noodle rod. Jigging is my fav. But not just plastics, I enjoy casting flies-probably 50% of the time I'm using a buggerr or shiner pattern on the spin. Had a fresher at walnut chase a minnow pattern from ten feet away. Once I got the color right, the reaction was immediate. The water has been SOOO clear my last few trips that spinning is usually my go to.
It's also fun when the fish are feeding heavily on single eggs. It can be frenzied!
I am below average with a flea pole but in faster water it's much more enjoyable than repeated spin casting.
In low and clear water I'll spoook a pod with a fly rod in less than a minute! Smackin the water and gettin it frothy!

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: FISHING TECHNIQUE; SPIN, CENTERPIN, FLY 2016/10/21 17:06:28 (permalink)
It's always been spin . On Steel I use a custom made 8 ' G Loomis light action rod. Tried longer rods just don't care for the buggy whip feel and seems like your hitting everything with the longer rods. 8' seems just right for the lighter line and fighting fish on our smaller creeks.

These creeks are so small just seems like fly fishing should be about laying that fly way out, not dipping and flipping.
I think people who tie their own fly's are the true fly guys.
When I see guys with fly rods using skein or bait I'm thinking why ? Might as well just use a light spinning rod same feel.

One thing I know is with fly rods you kind of need that current, with spinning you can jig up that strike, current or no current. 

If our creeks were wide open like Tionesta Creek or like out West I'd grab a fly rod for sure. Dry fly fishing would be the tops for me if I would fly fish.

PooFLinger
Expert Angler
Re: FISHING TECHNIQUE; SPIN, CENTERPIN, FLY 2016/10/21 18:44:23 (permalink)
Cap, its funny you say 8' rod, I couldn't agree more! Years ago I had an 8' ish rod that was perfect for any creek/tight spots up there.

I broke it a few years ago and haven't been able to find the same size/model anywhere. I used it more than my noodle and then I got into bug tossing and downsized on my number of spin equipment. 8-9' is more than enough for the tribs.

dano
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2974
Re: FISHING TECHNIQUE; SPIN, CENTERPIN, FLY 2016/10/21 18:47:13 (permalink)
I'm not going to get into numbers as in what tool catches more fish.
Some of the pinners I know are catching machines while some are so so.
I know many who can school you on fishing the spin rod and some fly guys that pull fish out in the toughest conditions. 
 It all comes down to your skill level which equals time on the water.
Even the best pinners I see don't use the same floats, setups and offerings time after time. The better fly guys are always making the smallest of adjustments.
You might prefer spin fishing. But have you mastered all the techniques available with that rod. 
Do you know when to downsize, lighten up, shed the float or aggressively jig?
There's not one tool that does it all. Pick the one your best at and If you master it and get bored from catching too many fish, pick another tool and start at the bottom again. 

post edited by dano - 2016/10/21 18:49:46
thunderpole
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 933
Re: FISHING TECHNIQUE; SPIN, CENTERPIN, FLY 2016/10/21 20:02:43 (permalink)
Unless I'm throwing raps I'm flyfishing it's like a drug it's become like second nature some days I tear them up some days I couldn't buy a fish with everything in my box but for stream fishing I think it's the better tool for the job , I hate pin fisherman that high hole you......that's all I'm gonna say bout that

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: FISHING TECHNIQUE; SPIN, CENTERPIN, FLY 2016/10/21 20:39:55 (permalink)
fishfashfush
Cap, its funny you say 8' rod, I couldn't agree more! Years ago I had an 8' ish rod that was perfect for any creek/tight spots up there.

I broke it a few years ago and haven't been able to find the same size/model anywhere. I used it more than my noodle and then I got into bug tossing and downsized on my number of spin equipment. 8-9' is more than enough for the tribs.

Couple years ago I got an 8' Pinnacle noodle rod from FishUSA for my son. Now that he's 12 I make him use my 9' while I steal his 8'.

I find that with those shorter-than-standard noodle rods that I can do a sort of modified roll cast. With that technique and the size of most tribs in Erie, unless I'm throwing jigs I rarely open the bail and cast.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: FISHING TECHNIQUE; SPIN, CENTERPIN, FLY 2016/10/21 20:54:02 (permalink)
http://www.fishusa.com/product/Pinnacle-Vertex-IM7-Noodle-Rods
SlipperySmitt
  • Total Posts : 403
Re: FISHING TECHNIQUE; SPIN, CENTERPIN, FLY 2016/10/21 23:55:47 (permalink)
Each is the best if one knows when to use either to their ability and/or conditions. Once knowing how to work a pin, you can work anything but plugs or spinners (though I'm sure a few can, Jiggy!) This is so long as we're talking about S-noids.....

Smitty

Member since prior to Aug 2001. My profile on the side got messed up.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: FISHING TECHNIQUE; SPIN, CENTERPIN, FLY 2016/10/22 21:11:23 (permalink)
I agree I've seen Fly rods smoke em , Pinners crush em , Spinners slam em , just who's mastered the system and creek conditions .....and sometimes what the fish just want ! ....LOL

I love that 8 ' too RSQ., use to be my son's till he gave it up. Put my 9' to rest since.

Actually I like even shorter rods for jigging.

I agree Thunder, some Pinners like to hog the whole drift but there is a cure..........
just wait till your lines cross and tangle then pull as hard and fast as you can and yell Fish On !
After about a hundred yards of line "explodes out of his free spooling reel" he'll get the message !!      Guarantee !

Smallsac
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 123
Re: FISHING TECHNIQUE; SPIN, CENTERPIN, FLY 2016/10/23 22:13:08 (permalink)
Tenkara...its like a knife fight.
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
Re: FISHING TECHNIQUE; SPIN, CENTERPIN, FLY 2016/10/24 06:47:00 (permalink)
dano
I'm not going to get into numbers as in what tool catches more fish.
Some of the pinners I know are catching machines while some are so so.
I know many who can school you on fishing the spin rod and some fly guys that pull fish out in the toughest conditions. 
 It all comes down to your skill level which equals time on the water.

won't  disagree with a thing you said, Dano

I'm a student of the game .
Years ago a fishing  friend once said to me,

"it ain't rocket science"

My reply??

"it is to me"

By  being a student of the game, I observed many times  the smallest nuances in presentation  can make ALL the  difference.
I became a pretty fair bass angler and OK steelhearder as a result
Time on the water, coupled with careful observation and mental notes  was/is the difference ...
(I could and did bass fish everyday for years...couldn't steelhead like that due to travel/time constraints)
Probly why i can catch smArt bass, but only dUm steelies

at any rate...one day on Elk years ago when i was rookie trying to figure out  steel..... I had an epiphany by watching a flyrodder slam steel while a dozen or more of us spinners over the same fish  were having a slow day

I tied on the same yarn as him, but still couldn't make it happen
It was ALL in the presentation and the way his junk moved thru the water column on that day
On another day, it  might be different to trigger a bite

a few years later, I reached the limits of what different presentations one can make with spin outfit .
I knew some of them could be done better w/flyrod and some  could only be done "easily" w/flyrod .
So I got my first bug  tosser  and started learning it's virtues and limitations

I like to fish, but like to "catch" a whole lot more
If I wasn't so lazy, I'd carry both fly and spin rods every trip..cause they both have limitations and virtues

..L.T.A.
dano
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2974
Re: FISHING TECHNIQUE; SPIN, CENTERPIN, FLY 2016/10/24 11:14:32 (permalink)
Leaving the creek this morning, I got interrogated by a gentleman on which fly I was using and how much weight, etc...
 I showed him and then told him I wouldn't recommend that setup anymore. Conditions changed and the fish quit moving....... "Oh really"? "what should I do"?
Go fishing and figure it out. I guarantee you'll learn something. 

The all time best line:
Fishing slowed down quite a bit but Glen was still on it pretty good.
I guy walks up from down stream and asks Glen "Sir, can I ask you what you're using"?
Glen says "Skill".
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4891
Re: FISHING TECHNIQUE; SPIN, CENTERPIN, FLY 2016/10/24 13:08:29 (permalink)
At least he didn't say a wet fly because he waded in too deep.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
PooFLinger
Expert Angler
Re: FISHING TECHNIQUE; SPIN, CENTERPIN, FLY 2016/10/24 13:09:14 (permalink)
Lol an old timer I grew up fishing with is retired and absolutely slaughters stocked trout as a retirement hobby. If he went out and didn't catch 100 every single time it's because he drank natural ice too fast lol.

Anyways, apparently his favorite thing to use is "technique" boy did he get some mean mugs. The old man wasn't lying though, he would hand you his rod, you can make the exact same cast/drift as him and not even get a nibble. He would laugh take his rod back and continue to catch fish. I guess he was right. It wasn't bait, setups or anything but "technique"

jat1007
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 193
Re: FISHING TECHNIQUE; SPIN, CENTERPIN, FLY 2016/10/24 13:17:15 (permalink)
technique and know-how certainly play a big role but having the right bait, setup and drift help... many times id fish a certain color and catch fish, switch colors and nothin then switch back and catch fish again. 

bigbear2012
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 725
Re: FISHING TECHNIQUE; SPIN, CENTERPIN, FLY 2016/10/24 14:19:23 (permalink)
I use them all.  But my go to is a 10ft noodle rod, spin outfit. I can drift nearly as well as with a centerpin, flip flies if that is what conditions call for (a small shot or indicator is needed for weight since you don't have the weight of the line).
Over the years, like most who responded, my ideas and tackle have changed.  The one constant is...I just love to fish.

wishin i was fishin
VKT
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 19
Re: FISHING TECHNIQUE; SPIN, CENTERPIN, FLY 2016/10/25 01:42:55 (permalink)
I tried to use a fly rod and it did not work out to good, I have as much finesse as a tri axle dump truck.
So I just stick to spinning.
adyak
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 40
Re: FISHING TECHNIQUE; SPIN, CENTERPIN, FLY 2016/10/25 06:17:17 (permalink)
Hard to beat a center pin when there is some flow.Long drifts that stay in the zone the whole time.However, with the ridiculous crowds on Pa tribs it loses its advantage.
PooFLinger
Expert Angler
Re: FISHING TECHNIQUE; SPIN, CENTERPIN, FLY 2016/10/25 06:32:04 (permalink)
adyak
Hard to beat a center pin when there is some flow.Long drifts that stay in the zone the whole time.However, with the ridiculous crowds on Pa tribs it loses its advantage.
ah come on you pinners stick together lol. I see a mob of pinners comin down the creek saturday and just absolutely took over a hole lol first pinner was on tangling duty until everyone that was there left while the other 4 were heroing down the creek like it was the Mississippi river lol

I watch those guys pinnin for trout on the yough river, its prettty neat watching those extra long drifts because there they actually have the room to do it efficiently. A good pinner is hard to beat though, no doubt about that.

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: FISHING TECHNIQUE; SPIN, CENTERPIN, FLY 2016/10/25 09:15:27 (permalink)
"I agree Thunder, some Pinners like to hog the whole drift but there is a cure..........
just wait till your lines cross and tangle then pull as hard and fast as you can and yell Fish On !
After about a hundred yards of line "explodes out of his free spooling reel" he'll get the message !"     

Seen this on Elk ! LMAO  the whole time ! Pin Guy had it coming.
crawlerman2
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 146
Re: FISHING TECHNIQUE; SPIN, CENTERPIN, FLY 2016/10/25 09:16:46 (permalink)
I fish 90% spinning, but I like a fly rod when the fish are in faster water. 

This may sound odd, but I bought an 8' noodle rod last year and if I try casting from my right the line wraps around the top of the rod every time.  If I cast from my left it's fine.  Let my buddy cast it and it did the same thing.  Never seen anything like it.  I just bought that Pinnacle from the link, hopefully its better.
post edited by crawlerman2 - 2016/10/25 09:18:21
bigbear2012
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 725
Re: FISHING TECHNIQUE; SPIN, CENTERPIN, FLY 2016/10/25 14:19:28 (permalink)
Its the way the line was loaded on the reel crawler.

wishin i was fishin
H3Fisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 340
Re: FISHING TECHNIQUE; SPIN, CENTERPIN, FLY 2016/10/25 19:23:16 (permalink)
Stopped at GanderMountain that is closing not too far from me. Picked up a Okuma Sheffield centerpin combo for $150... Normally was $300... Guess I'll need to try it for that price!

Next time I'm up, come fish next to me.. I might have everyone tangled up trying to cast, so you will have a clean drift for sure, lol.
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to: