Helpful Reply2016 archery season

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 9
Author
thunderpole
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 933
  • Reward points: 0
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/15 17:32:13 (permalink)
Congratulations on your back straps tho! I wanted to try smoking a baldie with the t/c tonight but I fell asleep o well maybe Monday if I don't go shoot bunnies

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/15 17:33:49 (permalink)
As an 'older hunter' must admit to using what you likely refer to as 'antique equipment' so many of the newer thingies are outa my league.
Using an early  Hoyt mystic intruder down to 52 lbs- as that's about all I can draw and  hold for a while anymore- even with the let off.
Still using  aluminum shafts with 125 thunderheads. It all hits right where aimed. ( 99% of the battle)
Dead on at 30 yds and has taken Bear-a number of turkey and many deer- still feelin the love. 
One thing I learned early though was NEVER use too light a shaft. Had a wood arrow split when transferring  to the compound long ago and have seen a carbon all blown up from a fiends using too light an arrow when trying to get up more speed.
My antiques generally pass through and that's all I can ask of them.
post edited by r3g3 - 2016/10/15 17:40:12
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1156
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/15 17:58:08 (permalink)
Way to go on the doe outasync.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/16 14:51:55 (permalink)
So I'm sitting watching the football game, half daydreaming about getting out before first light tomorrow morning and I'm hearing a combine, working the bean fields that I've standing over the past week

Oh well "easy come easy go" as they say in the old country, while I yet to put venison in the freezer I must say it has been a ball so far and I have the rest of the season to enjoy and maybe get another chance to stand at full draw while waiting to get shot.

Finished up last evening with four deer walking into the field and continue away from me.  As I stood-up and turned in preparation to call it a day, I listened as my old bones made muffled thumps and bumps while making the initial attempt to place my foot on the top rung.  Once sure of good footing I turned for one last look across the field only to see a doe and two younger deer staring at me.  All three had to be bedding down, at the spot where they stood, the entire time I spent swinging and swaying in my tree and not more than 50 yds. away.  What a hoot!

I didn't want to spook the deer so now dressed in a fluorescent orange hat, in low light conditions looking like a neon torch, I walked away as quickly as possible.  Yeah I know deer are color blind but I didn't say "orange" neon torch.

Still lots of time to have some fun, good luck to all.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

mopars0
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 742
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/16 15:54:09 (permalink)
Well BTDT I'm sitting here watching the Nascar race and jumping between it and football also ....remote getting a good workout. Didn't hunt yesterday was out Friday evening nothing under or even near to me but did see the nice buck as I entered the field heading back to my car he was watching me so no chance of calling him in😡... no hunting next week heading to Talladega for the NASCAR race next weekend. Hopefully when we get back it will be prime time in the woods .... so good luck out there in the woods next week to ya all .... enjoy !!!

STEVE.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/16 16:38:58 (permalink)
Have a ball at the races Steve, after that "honey-do" list this summer, buddy you earned it.

I was just outside and watching the tails fly into the woods as the combine entered into the bean field, took a few minutes but I think I have the tears under control now.  Maybe go down to my tree stand this evening and have a few minutes of silence.

But heyyyyyy, there's always tomorrow..........

Enjoy Talladega, I'm no racing fan but I'll watch for a bit, so wave.  

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

outasync
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 730
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/16 16:54:46 (permalink)
I wouldnt give up on it so soon. You'd be surprised how many deer I've seen in cut fields. Sat from 640 until 10 this morning and saw a great big racoon and that's all. Skeeters were out in full force though!
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/16 17:52:21 (permalink)
For what it's worth BTDT, I usually start seeing alot more deer once they cut the cornfield across the the road from the one property I hunt.
BIGHEAD_1
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 234
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/17 04:10:24 (permalink)
outasync
I'm shooting 400 Easton full Metal jackets from a 60 lbs pse axe 7 that Ken at field and stream set up. I figured out the broadhead problem. I had the between the limb dampeners on it and after removing them my arrows all shoot fine.
First shot only grazed her back not even 1/4 deep across her back. 2nd was perfect double lung top of the heart shot.

Well that would BE your problem, Them guy's at field and stream HAVE NO CLUE on how to set a bow FACT I had them replace a string and could not hint a barn side after they set the bow up. Took about a hour of tweeking before I could get back to hitting a dime at 30 yards.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/17 06:15:45 (permalink)
outasync
I wouldnt give up on it so soon. You'd be surprised how many deer I've seen in cut fields. Sat from 640 until 10 this morning and saw a great big racoon and that's all. Skeeters were out in full force though!

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
For what it's worth BTDT, I usually start seeing alot more deer once they cut the cornfield across the the road from the one property I hunt.

Thank's fellas, I know yinz are right and my only real worry is the deer will be seen much easier from the road which is heavily traveled by vehicles along with horse and buggies.  I never knew a Dutchman who didn't like to spot burn. lmao

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

BIGHEAD_1
outasync
I'm shooting 400 Easton full Metal jackets from a 60 lbs pse axe 7 that Ken at field and stream set up. I figured out the broadhead problem. I had the between the limb dampeners on it and after removing them my arrows all shoot fine.
First shot only grazed her back not even 1/4 deep across her back. 2nd was perfect double lung top of the heart shot.

Well that would BE your problem, Them guy's at field and stream HAVE NO CLUE on how to set a bow FACT I had them replace a string and could not hint a barn side after they set the bow up. Took about a hour of tweeking before I could get back to hitting a dime at 30 yards.

Strange, Ken nor Bill ever worked on my bow (yet) but from the competition trophies I've seen and stories from Archers schooled at "Field and Stream" I wouldn't have a problem with them guys doing repairs to either of my bows, string or otherwise.

By chance Bighead, were you offered the use of the shooting range to assure all was well with your repairs, before leaving the store, just curious? 
======================================================================

Gotta git, time to dress-up like a neon torch, daylight will breaking soon.

Luck to those going out today.

thunderpole
Expert Angler
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/17 10:24:18 (permalink)
Those Yahoo's can't fletch an arrow let alone tune a bow! Go to golden grain man! Dan us the only one I trust doing anything on my bow ,that dude is an archery god! Iv quit going to Bill's years ago after I kept having fletching fly off after they where (just professionally done)......... GOLDEN GRAIN!!! They will always get my business

outasync
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 730
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/17 12:18:30 (permalink)
Lol I do my own fletchings. I bought the bow at field and stream but any work I've had done since then is Joe from autumn addiction. Usually takes a little longer to get work done because of the number of clients but I've always been happy with his work
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/17 14:15:32 (permalink)
thunderpole
Those Yahoo's can't fletch an arrow let alone tune a bow! Go to golden grain man! Dan us the only one I trust doing anything on my bow ,that dude is an archery god! Iv quit going to Bill's years ago after I kept having fletching fly off after they where (just professionally done)......... GOLDEN GRAIN!!! They will always get my business

I appreciate the recommendation for any work I may be a needing to my archery equipment.

However I have purchased archery related equipment from Bill or Ken and as of yet had them try and sell me stuff I don't need.

I have sent two of my nephews and two of my friends to buy full blown outfits and between the five of us, I have not seen any sales overkill.

I believe they show interest in what the customers want and why then they will make recommedations, based on the information received.

If you have had problems with the sales, service or, backing thereof, I understand your feelings.

Frankly, you are the first person I've heard of having a "bonifide" problem that didn't get attention, corrected than tested, on their range.

Thanks again for the recommendation, when I get time I should like to visit the shop, as a "new wanna be " archery hunter and see what the total cost will be.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/17 16:23:26 (permalink)
Dateline; Today: afternoon.

Coming to you from afield sitting too dam high off the ground over station KTREE.

Temperature is a balmy 77 degrees and NOT a good day to be wearing my new Mossy Oak insulated gutchies.

Wind is from the WSW at 14 MPH with small craft warning posted until 2:00 PM tomorrow EDT.

I should like to thank those who have posted all of their recent experience on the "tick" thread as I am now, forever itching...... everywhere! Which is not a good thing because I have enough trouble typing my report with both of my arms wrapped tightly around this tree. Thank yinz very much.

Stay tuned for breaking (no pun intended) news. Film at ..... maybe sometime.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/10/17 16:25:37

thunderpole
Expert Angler
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/17 17:49:08 (permalink)
I bought my first set up there when I was 16 from them a pse, I feel like they just don't know what there doing honestly. You are correct about trying to sell you something you don't need iv never fell into that anywhere. I wanted to get an hha I was sold on it and was gonna cost 250$+ Dan told me i was an idiot and threw me a sales pitch on the apex sight 120$ so I bought it lol he makes the strings himself for the bows and is juat down right a genius. If I ever have a problem (which I rarely do with my bow) I tell him he can just about tell you the answer without doing anything looking at the bow he can get that bow shooting bullet holes in paper in mins with no tools . Guys really helped me out with my shooting form or concerns for being there salesman he's a great honest dude. As for the 3ds he said there knocking it down to 15 targets next year cuz they aren't making any money. < Now that's a crock of **** lol there making a killing. I keep saying move the targets back farther then 20yards ( more people will wing it loose arrows, so you will sell more arrows) he didn't like my thinking lol

thunderpole
Expert Angler
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/17 17:56:46 (permalink)
And not to mention there the closest place to sell hoyts and Mathews ,I got my defiant at 100-300$ cheaper then I attended on spending so there prices are very competitive IMO and if you drop arrows off to get fletched and your shooting 3ds 9/10 times he will have them done sitting in your vehicle if there not swamped with people by the time your done shooting

BIGHEAD_1
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 234
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/18 04:01:19 (permalink)
BTDT   They offered but was like 7/8 people ahead of me, So no I did not use their range. Yeah shooter showcase will be the only place I take my bow Or Xbow now.  Somebody said  S S was going out of buisness not sure how that was tho

Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/18 05:05:01 (permalink)
I been dealing with Shooters for years.Dave and his wife could set up a bow and have you punching holes on the range in minutes. There right hand man Glen could set up a bow in minutes also. When I was a bow freak I lived at Shooter, C and M ,and Acorn. I do believe Shooters was sold a few years back. I've hunted with and X bow the past 6-7 years,although deadly far from bow,know more hours of flinging arrows. I start July 1st every year and practice daily till bow season was over,a lot of knocks and fletching shot off and 2-3 robinhoods a year. GM and Field.and Steam would never touch my bow.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/19 10:37:35 (permalink)
Interesting read, seeing the opinions of others I wonder how it would go if we talked cars/trucks or perhaps what and where to buy guns and ammo.  But not now, "OK"?   I'm still trying to kill a deer with a stick.

I have had some 'good times' the past two days, Tuesday evening had me surrounded with doe from "bambi" size to deer I would age at 3.5+ old.  

Stiff breeze blowing from the south and just before 6:00 PM the critters began to pop out from the undergrowth along the field to my south.  I was in my tree, wearing a short sleeve black shirt and a pair of dark gray sweats with a orange knit beany for a hat and no make-up.  Now there's a picture for your minds eye I hope gives yinz nightmares.... for a month.

As luck would have it the deer ditzled around forever, before turning and heading my way.  I enjoyed the antics of the new to the year yung-uns as they played, got chased by the irritated older deer then return for more of the same.  Seven all toll as they continued toward me taking their good ole time while the Sun dropped below the horizon.  Maybe fifty yds out when three turned as if they would be going west, leaving four continuing my way and of course they stopped as if to question where the others might be heading.

Wind still blowing to the north when a fourth doe decided she would like to join the others veering to the west and you know the other three would stop to see what was happening.  No problem, I had my eye on one particular doe I'd been seeing in my field pictures and jumped last week while "still hunting".  She is the one missing half a front leg, and has had two younger deer hanging with her up until this night, when I see but one.

Daylight is shrinking minute-by-minute as the three continue, step-by-step; inch-by-inch  getting ever near my thirty yd mark aaaaaand the older of the three disappears into the under brush.  NO... don't follow her I'm shouting under my breath, she's trying to lure you astray, when the the "bambi" bolts right under my stand, looking straight out into the field, to my north, at the other four deer that crossed through the tree line to my west.  My target, now on my side of the thirty yd mark standing slightly broadside to me, looking into the underbrush then back toward the bambi; swings her head back to the brush turning broadside giving me a chance to full draw and I can't see my "True Glow Pin".   

Just not enough daylight, once again, because of the umbrella created by all the foliage still hanging on the trees blocking out what daylight there remained.

Letting down the bow, I turn to check the location of the deer to my north which wasn't hard to find as they had moved to the east putting them directly downwind of me.  It was amazing, they had noses in the air, walking straight toward me being more curious then guarded.  What a hoot!

Stayed tuned and lots of luck to those still seeking, the ever allusive PA White-Tailed Deer.

PS.  Anybody care to discuss fiber optic sights?

Eman89so
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1806
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/19 18:25:17 (permalink)
Seen 2 sniffing around in fields today..
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/19 23:26:44 (permalink)
Eman, I've not seen any horns yet and I pulled my field-cams so I don't know if any is sneaking about after hours.  Last night I was on the ground and just at dark, I had mommy and two Bambi's run right up to where I was standing and again not enough light for those stupid glow pins.   They couldn't have been more than 15 yds when they winded me, ran back into the field, watched for a bit and began feeding.   I sure hope all these ladies running around will entice a legal shooter for me to see.

I'll be out the next three days with my trusty 30/30,  let them deer come out into the bean field tomorrow around 6:00 PM, I'll be awaitin.  Stupid deer.

Good luck.

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/20 05:30:30 (permalink)
Gave it a shot yesterday afternoon since the weather man is calling for rain rain and more rain the next few days. Was all quiet until just before 6 when a doe and the smallest fawn I've seen in a long time came screaming in under my stand. They hung out for just a minute before making their way into the brush. Sat anxiously waiting to see what was behind them when I finally heard it. 2 guys from the neighboring property mother **** their way through the woods on the track of one they hit. Ended up finding it 60 yds or so from my stand. It's pretty thick so I never could see them or the deer, but could hear them plain as day. Congrats to them, but I was kinda bummed my evening ended right when things normally start picking up. Oh well, back at it Saturday hopefully.
thunderpole
Expert Angler
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/21 22:02:04 (permalink)
Anyone hunt today? Kinda wish I did after our shatty day of ( nks) for ducks Or geese it sure was windy here I plan on sitting tomorrow evening, on a side note picked up 3 new stands of Facebook heck yea!
post edited by thunderpole - 2016/10/21 22:04:14

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/21 22:41:18 (permalink)
Watched several deer feeding in the field to my south while the wind and rain roared in from the north. Never regretted watching the action from the comfort of my favorite deer stand as my rifle and my bow hung safely in my man cave.

May try and brave the elements in the morning but the weather dude says 10-20 MPH wind with 40 MPH gust to be expected. Not likely to be a good day for sitting in a tree or shooting at something with a stick.

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/22 04:56:14 (permalink)
Headed out shortly to brave the wind. At least the rain is supposed to hold off for a while. Hoping they're up and moving today
thunderpole
Expert Angler
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/22 20:20:17 (permalink)
Hunted this evening froze my****off seen a 3pt, seems I see that buck every year he never gets bigger! Felt good to jump back on the horse tho come on East wind!

Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/22 20:38:37 (permalink)
Deer everywhere for my son and I this evening hunting out of our ground blind in the corner of a green field.

One small buck chasing the 10 does and skippers we saw all over the place. At one point or another, he chased off every single one of em.

5 minutes before shooting light ended, a very nice buck - with a rack big enough to see with the naked eye 150 yards away in the fading light - stepped out to work a scrape.

Have seen lots of action the handful of times we've been out and have seen some cool sights from the ground blind.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/22 20:59:30 (permalink)
Sure wasn't cold when the sun was up but mercy, that changed quickly when the sun went down.

Stayed away from my tree stand and sat on a bucket in the brush so I could keep out of the wind. Ask me how that worked out.

Saw several deer but they wouldn't come close enough to let me kill em...... Errr, harvest one with a stick.

Stupid deer!!! 👻

Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/22 21:53:08 (permalink)
BTDT, are you an early retiree who's still too young to use a rifle to shoot a doe this weekend, or do you choose to carry the stick, with the hopes of whacking a buck?

Gave my son the option of rifle or crossbow tonight.  If he had chosen the .243, he could have had his pick of 5 big does.  As it was, we had one doe at 15 yards broadside, but she snuck in front of us while our eyes were diverted towards the buck chasing the other deer around and would have busted us had he clicked off the safety or moved into position for a shot.  
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/22 22:17:47 (permalink)
I qualify for using a rifle but you hit the nail on the head. Thursday was suppose to be 3030 day but I've become a fair weather predator. Friday and today was crossbow day.

Had I carried the rifle yesterday I would have had a chance for a Doe in the morning and second in the evening.

I've only had the past two years to put real time in for hunting and fishing. So far this year It's been a ball just seeing so many deer in my hunting area as compared to the past two years.

I can't wait till the Rut kicks in.

In addition, I look forward to reading stories from all you archers.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 9
Jump to: