SD Trail Cam card Question

Author
Panfisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 799
  • Reward points: 0
2016/10/20 16:24:32 (permalink)

SD Trail Cam card Question

When I import my trail camera pictures to my computer I always select the option to delete pictures after importing.   However, the next time I import pictures from this sd card there is still pictures on the card from the last time.   How do I delete all the pictures after importing?   Does anyone know?

I put the card in my digital camera to see if there is pictures on it to delete off camera. However, the camera says can not read must format.  I tried to format but it didn't work.  How do I format the sd card.  Is it the wrong card for my digital camera?  Confused on this.

The only thing better than 1 day of fishing is 2 days of fishing.

6 Replies Related Threads

outasync
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 730
    Re: SD Trail Cam card Question 2016/10/20 18:13:12 (permalink)
    With my Moultrie I get the same problem if I delete the card from my computer or digital camera. I have to use the delete option on my Moultrie when I go to reuse the card.
    smhj
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 116
    Re: SD Trail Cam card Question 2016/10/20 18:44:29 (permalink)
    If I remember S/D goes in computer then select what you want to do
    Camera is probably saving on card and internal memory.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: SD Trail Cam card Question 2016/10/20 22:20:35 (permalink)
    Well yinz know I can't stay away from a good question and the best way I can find to help is to post videos and or have you check the listings for other information you may seek.  Have pencil and paper, take lots of notes and don't be afraid to hit pause and replay on the videos, hope this gets yinz started. https://youtu.be/3sVatxaq1l4?t=3

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Panfisher
    Expert Angler
    Re: SD Trail Cam card Question 2016/10/21 10:54:38 (permalink)
    BTDT
    Good link but I have an older windows vista computer.

outasync
    I have a Moultrie A-8.  Will look at my instructions to see how to delete via the camera.

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: SD Trail Cam card Question 2016/10/21 15:50:11 (permalink)
    Sorry Panfisher, maybe try this video, sorry about the quality but pay attention to the "Cut" method this guy uses when he transfers from his card to a file on his computer.  You will copy the picture to the file and it deletes that picture from the card.  Vista and Windows 7 should be the same procedure.  I do my pictures entirely different using another method but I have no way of showing it.  Hope this gives you some help. https://youtu.be/l8wQbHonlmw?t=4

To those losing pictures or the card format, never remove a card from a camera or your computer until you click the "eject media" icon or turn the power to the device off.  This includes your camera;  any files that are open at the time you pull the card can be lost and may require you to "re-format" the card.

Dave if you are using Windows,  bring up the SD Card file on your computer, left click the file to bring up the folder(s) then "right click" the folder to bring up a window where you can "click" delete.  Do not delete the SD Card File, you will need to format the card if you do.

To format, with the card plugged into the PC, open the file of your PC and search for the SD Card to be listed in the left hand column where the files will be displayed.  Should be something like (F:) and may even have a down arrow beside it.  Clicking the down arrow should list the folders on the card where once again you can right click that folder to delete or left click to list.   Left clicking may require a "double click" depending on your PC.

Now to "format" that card, "right click" on the 'SD Card file' and a pop-up should allow you to choose, eject, delete, format, etc.  Left click the format button and set the format you need for your camera.  You should be asked if you want a fast or complete format and sometimes a complete format will be needed but the fast generally works.  Just remember to select the correct format for your camera.

Warning, make sure you are on the SD Card file plugged into your computer and not on the COMPUTER FILE when you format.   My PC says Local disk(C:) as holding the computer files  with cards (E:) (D:) and others listed below.

Remember, to use the "eject media" button to assure all files are closed before pulling the card or turn the device off.

I hope I have not confused anyone but suddenly, I have a headache.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/10/21 16:25:42

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Panfisher
    Expert Angler
    Re: SD Trail Cam card Question 2016/10/22 12:01:57 (permalink)
    I read the instructions for my Moultrie and I can actually delete pictures and format the sd card at the same time using the trail cam.  I am going to try this.

Jump to: