Walnut-what a shame!

Author
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2215
  • Reward points: 0
2016/10/19 22:12:46 (permalink)

Walnut-what a shame!

I had a couple ahhrs today after work to fish. Hadn't been to walnut in years and it was close....In the two hours I fished, I hooked 4 and landed 2, and saw not one other fish landed amidst the 25ish duuds. Not sayin I'm all that, just illustrating that conditions are crappy. Plenty of fish but low and clear and crowded. Hopefully it actually rains the next few days.

After awhile I couldn't handle the circus, so I put the rod away and took a walk. Back in 2007-2010ish, I used to catch fish ABOVE the chutes and falls. I wanted to see what was up there. I went up to the route 5 tubes. I walked at least 2 miles above and below the tubes and I saw ONE FISH!!! Some really nice water-a variety of deep holes, runs, riffles, etc. Beautiful scenery but no fish. I'm sure I missed one or two, but it's so clear I could see a lot. And I walked into a bunch of holes to chase fish out, but no fish! That sux. I said it before and I'll say it again-blow up the waterfall above the chutes. And make the projects up to the bridge catch and release to give the fish a chance to spread ahht.

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

23 Replies Related Threads

fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    Re: Walnut-what a shame! 2016/10/19 22:14:04 (permalink)
    Clarification-plenty of fish landed (and dragged ahht on stringers) but in the section I was in, no fish caught.

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: Walnut-what a shame! 2016/10/19 23:29:35 (permalink)
    Like the idea. Lots of great water open on Middle and Upper Nut that fish can't reach in numbers since summer floods of 2009.

But those falls are on privately owned property. And I bet a buncha gubmint agencies would pitch a hissy fit.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Walnut-what a shame! 2016/10/19 23:32:58 (permalink)
    Which got me to thinking - did that fish ladder contraption on 4 Mile ever serve its intended purpose? Never fish 4 Mile so dunno what goes on there. Would imagine on the Erie tribs such a thing would get busted up pretty bad with the ice floes.
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    Re: Walnut-what a shame! 2016/10/20 00:09:27 (permalink)
    rsquared
    Which got me to thinking - did that fish ladder contraption on 4 Mile ever serve its intended purpose? Never fish 4 Mile so dunno what goes on there. Would imagine on the Erie tribs such a thing would get busted up pretty bad with the ice floes.

It was put in 20 years too late.  Fish rarely get up to the dam anymore, since the creek got washed out in 2004.  There's two contraptions, one at the dam, and one at the falls by the practice green belonging to the golf club.  One or the other is usually blocked with debris or rocks.  I've never seen a fish above the falls.  East End Angler says there have been some make it up.  Waste of money.
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    Re: Walnut-what a shame! 2016/10/20 00:14:07 (permalink)
    fisherofmen376
    I had a couple ahhrs today after work to fish. Hadn't been to walnut in years and it was close....In the two hours I fished, I hooked 4 and landed 2, and saw not one other fish landed amidst the 25ish duuds. Not sayin I'm all that, just illustrating that conditions are crappy. Plenty of fish but low and clear and crowded. Hopefully it actually rains the next few days.

After awhile I couldn't handle the circus, so I put the rod away and took a walk. Back in 2007-2010ish, I used to catch fish ABOVE the chutes and falls. I wanted to see what was up there. I went up to the route 5 tubes. I walked at least 2 miles above and below the tubes and I saw ONE FISH!!! Some really nice water-a variety of deep holes, runs, riffles, etc. Beautiful scenery but no fish. I'm sure I missed one or two, but it's so clear I could see a lot. And I walked into a bunch of holes to chase fish out, but no fish! That sux. I said it before and I'll say it again-blow up the waterfall above the chutes. And make the projects up to the bridge catch and release to give the fish a chance to spread ahht.

Yeh, the last few years, there haven't been many fish come up Walnut any distance.  Too bad.  They put a lot of work in at the park on Zimmerly Rd.   
    PooFLinger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 450
    Re: Walnut-what a shame! 2016/10/20 01:21:30 (permalink)
    Last year late late in the fall, I had some free time, I walked or drove to almost all of walnut that wasn't posted or anything that would compromise someone's attitude toward me being there... I found an astonishing...no fish.. 2 within sight above the falls.
    The falls are unfortunately the last step of the run for id say 95 percent of the fish. They are holed up there often and just snagged to no end, mostly unintentionally by fly fisherman running tandems..( why you would run tandems when the fish are stacked up that much is beyond me) walnut to me is early season and early season only. You will very very rarely see me there once the fish spread out.
    I don't mind fishing it at night though, had some of my more fun times drifting some Skein with a glow indicator. Walnut, and trout run (when fishable) are my go to's in sept/oct... lots of people, all the time, but what do you expect when every fish able inch of water can be observed from the drivers seat of your ride.
    If I were to ask someone that doesn't only fish easily accessible water what the fish symbols mean that are tacked to trees, around middle/ upper elk-they would look at me like i look at them when they use a big ol gaaab ah paaahhrbait and tackle/gang bang every caught fish to put it on a rope before it escapes. But who am I to judge, I've been spent some time there this fall. The conditions as of now leave me no choice but to partake in the chaos.
    IMO trout run is worse when the bite is hot, and it's conditions are fishable, people are real asses there. Shoulder to shoulder would be welcomed there, but you mostly just get half of that distance. You better bring your A game, with casting, patience, and communication because it truly is combat fishing there. If you don't let people know a fish is on before it bites your hook then you are cursed upon. And so on so on..
    I've been there when u literally feel shoulders on both sides of you people just cram so tight to the mouth of trout run. I sit there around 3-330am an collect my thoughts and mentally prepare myself for 5 am knowing that me sitting there for 2 hours to have a spot is pointless only to the fact that I don't want to be THAT guy that takes up someone's last 20 inches of free space.
    People simply forget that steelhead are just a fish.. if you lose one then you lose one- there will be more chances and more fish, no reason to cuss someone or argue over an average sized fish.

Gill em to kill em then Rope em smoke em
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 744
    Re: Walnut-what a shame! 2016/10/20 08:18:10 (permalink)
    The waterfall above the chutes on Walnut is great habitat and there's an excellent hole below it, but, I'd be in favor of either a fish ladder for it or carving out a 24-30" section down the middle to make a high gradient channel for fish to ascend. Very annoying that every walnut angler is confined in the area between the mouth to the waterfall, with all of the great habitat above the falls.

Also, are there two ladders on 4 mile? I know the one that's a bit above the lower hole at the north boundary of the golf club, but is there another one as well?
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    Re: Walnut-what a shame! 2016/10/20 23:32:22 (permalink)
    Divemaster
    The waterfall above the chutes on Walnut is great habitat and there's an excellent hole below it, but, I'd be in favor of either a fish ladder for it or carving out a 24-30" section down the middle to make a high gradient channel for fish to ascend. Very annoying that every walnut angler is confined in the area between the mouth to the waterfall, with all of the great habitat above the falls.

Also, are there two ladders on 4 mile? I know the one that's a bit above the lower hole at the north boundary of the golf club, but is there another one as well?

Just south of the vehicle bridge for the golf club is a falls, where everyone takes wedding pictures.  Right next to the practice green.  They put a ladder and kind of a runway around the falls there.   I haven't seen a fish even get there, much less use it.  It gets blocked even more than the ladder that is at the dam, which is next to the cart bridge.  The ladder chute is pretty narrow, and gets blocked with leaves and rocks at the top.  Occasionally, but not often, someone clears it out.  I guess someone from PFBC.

The stretch above that falls, about 100 yards south to RT.  5 was worked on a few years, and has access signs on it, but there's nowhere to park, and never any fish there anyway.  I have never seen anyone fish there.  Another waste of money.  They worked on that area for quite a while too.  That's the area below the old Crowley house.
    PooFLinger
    Expert Angler
    Re: Walnut-what a shame! 2016/10/21 00:00:55 (permalink)
    I was under the impression from my findings that the golf course was in charge of clearing that second passage upstream  of the ladder, you would think they would be all for spreading fish out to keep people out of the course. But maybe they notice the fish not using the first ladder and it defeats the purpose of clearing the second.

mike55
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 86
    Re: Walnut-what a shame! 2016/10/21 01:16:43 (permalink)
    Fish don't need a fish ladder on walnut. What they need is to not have 15 guys standing over them in front of the waterfall roping them from 5am to dark. Fish can get above the falls and do. I have said it 2000 times there are falls way bigger on Elk the fish get up.

Think of the gauntlet they have to run from the mouth up to the falls every time it blows out. Fish never get a chance to get up it.
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    Re: Walnut-what a shame! 2016/10/21 08:24:41 (permalink)
    Which is why I said there should be a limited catch and release area there. Even just until November 1 maybe?

But it is undeniable that a vast majority can't make it up that falls. Like I said-I walked two miles above and saw 1 fish! I'm sure after a blowahht some make it.

I'm curious...where on elk is a bigger waterfall?

Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 744
    Re: Walnut-what a shame! 2016/10/21 08:31:17 (permalink)
    fisherofmen376
    Which is why I said there should be a limited catch and release area there. Even just until November 1 maybe?

But it is undeniable that a vast majority can't make it up that falls. Like I said-I walked two miles above and saw 1 fish! I'm sure after a blowahht some make it.

I'm curious...where on elk is a bigger waterfall?

Agreed, one fish limit at 24"+ would greatly improve the fishery, and keep the annoying meat hunters out as well. If you want to keep a fish here and there, fine, but they're Steelhead, not Salmon! They'll keep getting bigger (and sportier) and continue running year after year until something kills them! Absolutely no need to rope any jacks.

Out of curiousity, how large was that one fish? I'd imagine only the stronger individuals would have enough power and stamina to make it over those falls.
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    Re: Walnut-what a shame! 2016/10/21 08:55:25 (permalink)
    Divemaster
     They'll keep getting bigger (and sportier) and continue running year after year until something kills them! Absolutely no need to rope any jacks.

the evidence of repeat spawners doesn't support that theory, Dive
    There's a world of difference in lake Erie run steel and west coast ocean run

I haven't been the Da Nut in years, so I don't know what the falls currently looks like .

If anything like it was, I'd suggest more than few made it over the falls last night

..L.T.A.
    H3Fisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 340
    Re: Walnut-what a shame! 2016/10/21 12:35:20 (permalink)
    I wonder how that new area the opened is keeping up . Gauge shows the water is up 2+ feet. wonder if it's going to breach the cement slabs and wash out the gravel they had there.
    jat1007
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 193
    Re: Walnut-what a shame! 2016/10/21 12:39:27 (permalink)
    what section is it? not sure i know about it.... 

PooFLinger
    Expert Angler
    Re: Walnut-what a shame! 2016/10/21 12:56:01 (permalink)
    H3Fisher
    I wonder how that new area the opened is keeping up . Gauge shows the water is up 2+ feet. wonder if it's going to breach the cement slabs and wash out the gravel they had there.
    pretty sure he means the new marina to wall work jat

H3Fisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 340
    Re: Walnut-what a shame! 2016/10/21 14:42:42 (permalink)
    Yup, the new section. if that washes out it will be closed down again.
    fishmonger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 435
    Re: Walnut-what a shame! 2016/10/22 12:44:31 (permalink)
    In years past, I have caught fish on Walnut behind the Mall. That is a long way up.

Fishmonger
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    Re: Walnut-what a shame! 2016/10/22 15:16:32 (permalink)
    fishmonger
    In years past, I have caught fish on Walnut behind the Mall. That is a long way up.

That was quite a while ago, I'm guessing.  I found some fish up there more than five years ago.  Very tough to not snag up on the brush there.  I haven't seen any fish even as far as Love Rd. in about five years or so. 
    fishmonger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 435
    Re: Walnut-what a shame! 2016/10/23 09:06:03 (permalink)
    I got snagged on a shopping cart! It was more than ten years ago. I still think that fish can navigate the falls, but the water would have to be flowing quite a bit. Strong fish.

Fishmonger
    Pro Angler
    Re: Walnut-what a shame! 2016/10/23 12:44:27 (permalink)
    An article from the Pittsburgh Trib about some PFBC field trips on the cricks to look at some of these issues:

http://triblive.com/sport.../fish-commission-creek
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    Re: Walnut-what a shame! 2016/10/23 13:57:41 (permalink)
    Interesting article R2

The report noted approval needed from state and fed to get fish upstream by removing barriers had to show how they'll keep lampreys from doing the same.

A few years ago,  2010- 2011 maybe, there were some Ohio bio guys on Connie talking to a friend of mine.
    They were doing studies on lamprey and how best to kill them.
    At the time, they suspected lamprey as a possible part of the reason for steel numbers decline

LTA
    XtopwaterkingX
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    Re: Walnut-what a shame! 2016/10/23 22:06:28 (permalink)
    Didn't they lose funding or at least a big chunk of the money  for treating the water to kill lampreys a few years back? I thought I heard that, could be wrong. If they did I'm sure that's not helping steel numbers.
    Jump to: