Fishing the lower Niagara." New-Be "

Author
LetMeBeFishing
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 74
  • Reward points: 0
2016/09/03 15:46:32 (permalink)

Fishing the lower Niagara." New-Be "

I want to start coming up to the lower Niagara fishing more often with my boat but know nothing about the fishing up there. I am concerned that fishing there and not knowing If I need Canadian fishing license or not. Is the lower Niagara that wide  that you just meed a new York License.  I live 4 hours from there in Butler, Pa and would come up for 2 -3 days at a time.
 can anyone advise me. Thanks, Tom

10 Replies Related Threads

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: Fishing the lower Niagara." New-Be " 2016/09/04 12:27:42 (permalink)
    LetMeBeFishing
    Novice Angler
    Re: Fishing the lower Niagara." New-Be " 2016/09/07 13:47:03 (permalink)
    Thank you, but I am looking for a little more detail before I head up. I would love to find someone that would take me out a couple times and fish. I would be happy to pay my way and I would get a motel room for a couple nights. Most of the charter boats want 2-4 people and I can never find someone to commit to go. and get tired of asking guys to go.

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: Fishing the lower Niagara." New-Be " 2016/09/08 22:21:46 (permalink)
    Tom, I've spent a lot of years fishing the lower Niagara River. From shore and in boats. It's a fantastic fishery and it's tough. Lewiston is the main launch on the N.Y. side. The lower Youngstown launch is for very small boats and runs shallow. You definitely need a N.Y. license and you must favor the N.Y.  shore side. The middle of the river is the divide. Canada - USA.
    If you favor the Canada side you will need a Canada license. Do not push your luck! Years ago both Countries were lenient on enforcing that law....no more!

The Lewiston drift is the main drift to start in a boat as a novice I would still be careful how far up river you go. I don't know what size boat you have but most guys are running deep V's about 18 ft.
    Other smaller ones will work but careful is the word. I would not attempt the Devil's Hole area that is farther up river by the power dams.
    Lewiston on down river is the majority of boat drift fishing. Some areas produce better but fish can be had throughout the river's drift. You'll need a good trolling motor to keep your drifting even with the current and the shore. The lower area is good fishing down near Fort Niagara. Out in the mouth is the Bar area and that can be excellent when fishable. Look at a map and study some of the area. Once again Canada / N.Y. boundaries. 

You really need to go up and survey the area first and see what's going on. Start at Lewiston and check out the launch area and watch the boats and their drifting techniques. I would go up and shore fish the Art Park area first. That way you can see first hand what's going on. Then ride down to Youngstown to the Fort area and check it out. No shore fishing here but you can see the mouth of the river.  Shore fishing can be a blast and fighting those big fish in that strong current requires good reliable gear. I use 10lb. line and Med / heavy rods. My reels are Penn 4400's. The river is relentless with snags so be ready. It's the Major League's of river fishing especially from shore. The first time you land a big Steelhead or Lake Trout you will be on a fishing high ! These fish have the whole river to run and jump and a strong current flow that just favors them 100%.
    Don't get frustrated it's very challenging but there is nothing comparable in river sport fishing!      
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Fishing the lower Niagara." New-Be " 2016/09/08 23:03:44 (permalink)
    Niagara fishing.............from shore.   Art Park / Lewiston Bridge area

Cold but caught a bunch of Lakers today !

King Salmon from the " Devil's Hole "

Lewiston launch

Fort Niagara in bad river conditions for boat fishing

N.Y. Power Plant looking toward Lewiston

Art Park drift below...................good luck fishing
    LetMeBeFishing
    Novice Angler
    Re: Fishing the lower Niagara." New-Be " 2016/09/08 23:24:12 (permalink)
    Art, Thank you so much for the help. I can see from your pictures It can be both fun & challenging. The pic's show me how wide the river is I was think it was a lot wider than it is.Wouldn't be go to just have a season NY and a Can license so not to worry about it.I see that where would be a lot to learn. I would go out on a charter for the first couple trips but I fish alone and charters want a couple guys going. I have a Larson 18.5 deep V with a Evenrude 150 & 9.9 troller.   So I would use my boat and fish by myself I know its not the norm and thats now I fish Lake Erie but not fast moving rivers and use a drift sock to slow me down. Great help & " Fish On"
    LetMeBeFishing
    Novice Angler
    Re: Fishing the lower Niagara." New-Be " 2016/09/09 16:51:44 (permalink)
     How are most fisherman rigging for the Niagara drifting down. How is the fishing rigs set up most of the time for shore fishing the Niagara 
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Fishing the lower Niagara." New-Be " 2016/09/09 21:38:11 (permalink)
    Most boats use a three way setup. You need to have enough weight to tap the bottom .
    Usually a 3/4 to 1 oz. sinker for starters. Trout beads , egg sacs , kwik fish lures all work.
    Shoreline sinkers vary according to the flow. Once again you have to tap bottom to get in the strike zone. Bring lots of weights (sinkers) and hooks. This river is deep quick and full of boulders and rocks. No worry about your prop hitting anything unless you get to close to shore.
    Fishing alone in this water is something I don't recommend for safety. Don't take this river lightly it's killed fishermen over the years. Check it out first before you attempt any boat fishing.    
    LetMeBeFishing
    Novice Angler
    Re: Fishing the lower Niagara." New-Be " 2016/09/09 23:51:03 (permalink)
     Is there a good bait shop you prefer to get bait from. I am guessing they would have egg sacs
     and local preferred Kwik lures. You ever use night crawlers and worm rigs?. Do you know of a reasonable place to stay at. 
    Do you go out on your own boat at all? Would you or a friend of your want to go out on mine and teach me the ropes. My treat.
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Fishing the lower Niagara." New-Be " 2016/09/10 10:04:16 (permalink)
    Thanks , I've fished the Niagara for over 30 years and I'm semi retired from N.Y. fishing. Just too crowded for my style now days. Mostly fish Pa. and Ohio creeks when I do go. You sound like your new to a lot of this style fishing. You should learn how to tie egg sacs and preserve them.
    I have Brown Trout eggs preserved for over 7 years and they still look good.
    All Kwik Fish colors will work I prefer Greens and Silvers. I would leave the night crawlers home. There are no bait shops around Lewiston anymore that I know of Kim closed years ago. 
    Poor Richards in Erie sells sacs and single eggs when they arrive.
    Blue Fox lures are also used big and bright work best. 
    Only places we stayed in Lewiston are Riverside Motel (716)754-4101 and
    Portage Motel (716) 754-8295 
    We've caught plenty of fish from boats mostly Lakers along with Browns and Steelhead. 
    LetMeBeFishing
    Novice Angler
    Re: Fishing the lower Niagara." New-Be " 2016/10/03 23:09:01 (permalink)
    Wanted to ask you how you preserve trout eggs and make them last.

Jump to: