Food for thought

Author
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
  • Reward points: 0
2016/10/01 13:37:33 (permalink)

Food for thought

From one of our brothers on the other side of the pond.

[link=http://fintasticsportfishing.blogspot.ca/2016/08/in-march-various-newspapers-both.html]http://fintasticsportfish...s-newspapers-both.html[/link]

If you have comments and have not provided them to NYSDEC at one of the public meetings, they can be sent to fwfishlo@dec.ny.gov until October 14, 2016 as per DEC Seeks Input on Lake Ontario Fisheries - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

12 Replies Related Threads

fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: Food for thought 2016/10/01 14:45:34 (permalink)
    A voice of reason. Hopefully, more will be heard from and  total collapse will not occur. Thanks, Lucky- good stuff.
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3065
    Re: Food for thought 2016/10/01 16:30:57 (permalink)
    If I got it right -we have yet to really address the problems.
    The reduced stocking we are talking about in conjunction with pen raised successes and and natural repro
    simply doesn't make the kind of reductions this guy indicates we need to keep on in the future.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3706
    Re: Food for thought 2016/10/01 17:45:40 (permalink)
    All true and the fish eating the year class missing are already in the water. Just hedging bets with reductions as last years class was a bumper. Then there is the lake trout debate.........
    All this down to the pictures was in the prior meetings

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: Food for thought 2016/10/01 18:35:27 (permalink)
    Attendance at all the meetings on this side of the lake was poor.  If you have comments, you have two weeks to get them into NYSDEC.

Lake trout have also been reduced by 20%.  They will not go away, they are the top level benthic predator in the Fish Community Objectives, and restoration is a national priority for both the USA and Canada who both have a voice in the management of an an international waterbody.  Cuts could well continue until a stable alewife base is exhibited in the data, but that decision will be made on a year by year basis.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: Food for thought 2016/10/01 19:46:25 (permalink)
    Thanks for passing along 13 .
    Here is my view and responses . This is a regurgitation of what the state officials post as their reasoning . If you mass produce a product , it will become accepted .
    Natural reproduction , harsh winters , low forage .
    The questions , experiences , suggestions and concerns have been presented from the fisher side . The drum keeps beating the same tone from the management side .
    Am I saying who is right or who is wrong , I have my opinions and have expressed them to those beating drums .

I will share some of them here once again :
    1.There is an imbalance in the lake , no question .
    2. This imbalance did not occur in the just past 2 harsh winters as cited .
    3. The lake ecosystem has changed dramatically as to clarity and invasives, yet this does not seem to be the focal point .
    4. To point natural reproduction of pacific salmon as the "wild card " imbalance towards the " control " factor is absurd and unproven . Where are these 6 million fish predator fish !
    5. I think they - SOL have no idea and are grasping for support in the decisions .

Conversation worth discussing but until the blinders come off , it's a mis managed fishery in all aspects from my rose colored specks .
    If people who make the most of what "it is what it is " and are happy then my voice is no more of a whisp of dust .

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Food for thought 2016/10/01 20:44:55 (permalink)
    All good points Rich and my views are jaded at best by my limited knowledge. I can't disagree that the lake is evolving with both the muscles (clarity ) and other invasive. I also think you have a point about the natural repo. I think  that the harsh winters did  have some effect on the bait though. Is the evolving lake affecting bait too? Can't say.  Is there some lack of certainty by the folks in charge, I think yes.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3065
    Re: Food for thought 2016/10/01 20:55:21 (permalink)
    The bait didn't even get a chance to spawn during the big drought a few decades ago.
    Don't recall if that was only one or more seasons.
    Mighta been back around 85 or 6.
    Couldn't even get boats outa some marinas-
    Do remember 'old hickory'  writing  of bait problems  though.
    Similar ??- unless it was only the one season.
    Anyone recall ??

schizamm I'm gettin old and forgetfull.
    post edited by r3g3 - 2016/10/01 21:01:43
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Food for thought 2016/10/01 21:01:30 (permalink)
    Nothing we can say will change the decisions that have already been made . I am involved in that process every day from ice frogs .
    All my fishing gear has been removed ( which was in my truck yesterday ) stored and my boat( s) winterized .
    My focus has now turned towards adventures outside a rod & reel until the hardwater sets in .
    While I will have nothing to share and will try to limit my perspectives in the open water aspect , I hope to read of others that still do presue them .
    Good luck in everyone's outdoor adventures :
    Peace & Tuna

fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: Food for thought 2016/10/01 21:04:40 (permalink)
    http://www.seagrant.wisc.edu/Home/Topics/FishSpecies/Details.aspx?PostID=362
     The article 13 posted made a reference to the mussel problems, but Ontario apparently is a little more nutrient rich, at least right now.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Food for thought 2016/10/01 21:38:36 (permalink)
    To be continued as I wrote an epilogue and it vanished from power failure .
    Tomorrow is another day

twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: Food for thought 2016/10/02 17:05:54 (permalink)
    r3g3
    The bait didn't even get a chance to spawn during the big drought a few decades ago.
    Don't recall if that was only one or more seasons.
    Mighta been back around 85 or 6.
    Couldn't even get boats outa some marinas-
    Do remember 'old hickory'  writing  of bait problems  though.
    Similar ??- unless it was only the one season.
    Anyone recall ??

schizamm I'm gettin old and forgetfull.

Old Hickory brings back da ole timez memories.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Food for thought 2016/10/02 19:21:27 (permalink)
    I remember reading him in the local paper

Jump to: