Helpful ReplyNews

Author
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
  • Reward points: 0
2016/09/30 12:37:06 (permalink)

News

http://www.google.com][/link]DEC Delivers - Information to keep you connected and informed from the NYS Department of Environmental Conservationhttps://content.govdelive...SDEC/bulletins/16822b1]Share or view as a web page[/link] || https://public.govdeliver...r/new?preferences=true]Update preferences or unsubscribe[/link]

DEC Announces Water Conservation Measures to Maintain Salmon River Flows

Reduced Releases from Salmon River Reservoir to Conserve Water

Drought Forces Temporary Closure of Lower Fly Section to Protect Salmon Run

Ongoing drought conditions in the Salmon River watershed have forced Brookfield Renewable in collaboration with the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) to reduce the amount of water released to the Salmon River from the Salmon River Reservoir starting Thursday, September 29.
In addition, DEC will close the Lower Fly Fishing Area on the Salmon River in conjunction with the reduced flows. This closure applies only to the Lower Fly Area, and the remainder of the 13-plus miles of the river accessible to the public will remain open.
"New York's fish hatchery system is a vital part of our effort to sustain our popular and economically important recreational fisheries," said DEC Commissioner Basil Seggos. "The reduced water flows and closure will help ensure that adequate numbers of salmon enter DEC's Salmon River Hatchery in order to provide eggs for salmon stocking that support Lake Ontario and tributary fisheries."
A 2007 study estimated the value of these fisheries to New York State's economy at $12.9 million. DEC is concerned that unintentional fishing mortality of Pacific Salmon could impact egg take operations if too much water is released.
The ¼-mile section of the Salmon River that comprises the Lower Fly Fishing Area is located immediately downstream of the Salmon River Hatchery and upstream of the County Rt. 52 Bridge in Altmar. The upper boundary of the area is just downstream from Beaverdam Brook. This location is a staging area for various species of fish, including Chinook and coho salmon, as they prepare to enter the hatchery via Beaverdam Brook. The closure will remain in effect as long as flow reductions are necessary.
Flows will be increased as soon as rainfall patterns change and reservoir water levels necessary to maintain these flows are restored. The Lower Fly Area will be reopened when flows permit and Salmon River Hatchery egg-take operations are completed.
Should salmon returns to the hatchery be inadequate, DEC has developed a contingency plan to secure additional salmon eggs from other Lake Ontario tributaries. Further information on these actions can be obtained by contacting the DEC Fisheries Unit in Cortland at fwfish7@dec.ny.gov or by phone at (607) 753-3095.
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: News 2016/09/30 12:41:55 (permalink)
Glad they are thinking ahead

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: News 2016/09/30 12:45:54 (permalink)
They ought to close the river below 2a if they really want to get the hens upriver!
troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: News 2016/09/30 13:09:32 (permalink)
There are already plenty of fish in the LFZ and the sluice way to the hatchery.  If DEC wants to protect the fish, start by addressing the **** show in DSR and up through the length of the river with the lifters and liners.  I've never seen so many fly fishers slinging 30 to 50 caliber shot while dredging the pools and runs.  Just saying. 
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: News 2016/09/30 14:49:11 (permalink)
The hatchery is LOADED with fish!!!! I agree with lucky but I'll take it a step further....CLOSE the entire river if they want to protect the fish.95% of those getting CAUGHT are beeing snagged by every one the entire length. This is BS!
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: News 2016/09/30 15:34:41 (permalink)
2 coho made a move and refusal on an olive /orange bunny fly, and I landed one King (flopped off at the bank-I'm counting it,  GD it!)  that took an orange comet.  That was in a solid 16 hrs.+ of fishing. I SUCK at salmon. Meanwhile, I saw people just clean house.  You can't spell democracy without DEC. I was told they're cutting back on enforcement by a DEC employee, and I think it shows.
Who's in the majority?  What needs to be done is establish some priorities. Let the snaggers ,liners,  flossers, do whatever, but at least keep a small portion of the river for those that don't want to go there. Maybe just leave the upper and patrol it with volunteers. Radios carried, that can call in obvious perps to an on call CO.  Guys from Spey Nation would do it. I would do it, and I don't fish with a Spey rod.  It really is a fecal fiesta the way it is, and it's made worse by the pretense that it isn't.  If they made the snagging legal, and they really have by the lack of enforcement, it would not appear so ridiculous, just a little....barbaric. This isn't subsistence fishing in Alaska.  WTF, let the people have some fun while they spend the real catch..... Dollars!

hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: News 2016/09/30 17:04:16 (permalink)
Totally agree Charlie and well said . I had a super bad day at work with little sleep last night .
No time for Internet during the day and upon leaving the job I read this . It personally made me do a u turn and head sout .
At its current state , it's an ugly mess as I have also heard from others as well .
We pushed for a change in the 90's and banning snagging was thought to be the answer , as anyone can clearly see it became a curse for fishers .
Everyone here knows my feelings of the area , with the way the fishery is managed , especially in the last 8-10 years , I can not support them .
Told myself and family I needed to got this weekend as it may be my last and didn't want to miss the opportunity to fish with friend , that don't pay me ..
Sadly it seems my salmon fishing may come to close with memories
I wish everyone well and the best of times

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: News 2016/09/30 18:27:46 (permalink)
I was being sarcastic above.Totally true, it's the stool heads on the lower quarter that remove the majority of fish from the system. Close an area that not one fish is " removed" from the system. Close Orwell and take fish from there, if I had to guess I could count on one hand the number of fish taken from there legally
post edited by Clint S - 2016/09/30 18:31:26

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: News 2016/09/30 19:01:19 (permalink)
My post was kinda confusing .
I was heading towards Pulaski when I read this . I u turned on thruway for home after reading this .
Talked with Jack and he is leaving for home in the am .
Yes it seems like in its current state , the fishery is turning real dollars away

chartist
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 925
Re: News 2016/09/30 19:44:24 (permalink)
Well Tuna, I am heading there Sunday morning.  I will spend my bucks in Pulaski which should cover your lack of spending, and then some.  The situation is what it is.  They lowered the cost of licenses so less bucks for enforcement and buying out of state eggs.  We'll just have to deal with it.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: News 2016/09/30 20:54:39 (permalink)
chartist
Well Tuna, I am heading there Sunday morning.  I will spend my bucks in Pulaski which should cover your lack of spending, and then some.  The situation is what it is.  They lowered the cost of licenses so less bucks for enforcement and buying out of state eggs.  We'll just have to deal with it.

I highly doubt a once a year 1/0 chartist will cover my lack of spending in which I supported all summer long into the fishery and local good people of the townships in the area
I have no desire to stand alongside a lead chucker that feels it's his right to fish how he pleases because it is what it is .
That's BS and its turning good people away from the fishery .
Maybe the DEC will take it serious and get a good influx into their budget as well from your then some .
post edited by hot tuna - 2016/09/30 20:57:17

chartist
Expert Angler
Re: News 2016/09/30 21:09:40 (permalink)
You never did get it Tuna....We are dinosaurs....it was a miracle they got away from the snagging days of the 1970s....Things are dramatically improved.  Whitacres has seen a few bucks from me with new waders, line, staff, various flies, etal...I have no doubt your purchase of a bag of ice and a 12 pack of gennie cream ale helped Pulaski.  Keep it up ole man.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: News 2016/09/30 21:12:30 (permalink)
At this point I could care less if it crashes. The drunken entitlement and trash are too much. Would rather fish for dink perch on Oneida. Don't worry Rich I spend enough at Tractor supply to offset your absence for this trip

chartist
Expert Angler
Re: News 2016/09/30 21:14:16 (permalink)
That's fine Clint, it was never intended for the likes of you...It was always intended for the likes of me:  out of staters with money to spend...>This was always about money, nothing else mattered.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: News 2016/09/30 21:28:44 (permalink)
I hate to agree but I do. That's why the anal leakage show continues and the DEC will not clean it up. There is a lot of sewage in the river and it will not get better so let it crash. Hell let me borrow some 1/0 and I will just join the party, I can act like a drunken entitled ash borer hole too

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: News 2016/09/30 21:36:43 (permalink)
Clint S
I was being sarcastic above.Totally true, it's the stool heads on the lower quarter that remove the majority of fish from the system. Close an area that not one fish is " removed" from the system. Close Orwell and take fish from there, if I had to guess I could count on one hand the number of fish taken from there legally

U means U've actually gone up there and  tried to fish?  Where would a fish find water for its tail to push?
chartist
Expert Angler
Re: News 2016/09/30 21:43:06 (permalink)
I've seen that "lower quarter" when I visit the SR.  They're wearing camo neoprene waders in 70 plus degree temps....I know them's white trash when I see 'em.
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re: News 2016/09/30 21:46:14 (permalink)
Tend to agree with Chartist a bit- its the out of area folks that are contributing million$ to the area because of fishing.
Be it on the lake or the Sr or other tribs it puts a LOT of bucks into a depressed economy.
That includes most all of us here be it a lot or a little- it all  adds up.
Perhaps there is a 'don't bite the dog that feeds ya' mentality in regard to fishers- be it ever so subtle.
Was and still am sooprized they stopped the cricket days- never did that.
Seen  Alaska fishing videos with methods  exactly like the Ballpark-just as crowded too
Not one bit shocked that snagging of lifting or lining  are still the main thingies- its the original and lingering culture of the river.
Those who 'fish' are a minority.
Said on another thread was VERY shocked at the ease in which I got a room today for a couple of weeks out.
Checked several places and all had rooms available for Mid Oct- THAT  NEVER used to happen.
Its beginning to change up there although some may not notice it in the heavy travelled areas.
2 poor years- and now this- will diminish participation as many here thought might happen.
post edited by r3g3 - 2016/09/30 21:49:40
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: News 2016/09/30 21:47:12 (permalink)
chartist
You never did get it Tuna....We are dinosaurs....it was a miracle they got away from the snagging days of the 1970s....Things are dramatically improved.  Whitacres has seen a few bucks from me with new waders, line, staff, various flies, etal...I have no doubt your purchase of a bag of ice and a 12 pack of gennie cream ale helped Pulaski.  Keep it up ole man.

HT drinks Busch and cleans up the river scrupulously.  I've been going to Whitaker's  since before Jim Rusher took over the store, and then sold it to the present owners.  You are a charlatan who escapes Ohio because you have been shunned by everyone out there and in PA.  Stick your likely ill gotten gains in your A** and FOADIAF! 
post edited by Lucky13 - 2016/09/30 21:53:13
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: News 2016/09/30 21:48:05 (permalink)
Not this year LOL, for salmon back in my early years it was a favorite for the old lift and snatch. Have not really fished salmon other than a few high water times. I go once or twice a season just for a walk often not taking a pole. Funny how people act different when you walk up on them not carrying a pole. I have gotten a few nice steel out of there but it was higher water in the spring. I went by the other day and there were cars there imagine that
post edited by Clint S - 2016/09/30 21:51:05

chartist
Expert Angler
Re: News 2016/09/30 21:52:48 (permalink)
I appreciated the recognition for our contribution to the local economy.  Now, will you locals kindly direct me to your secret fishing hole? 
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re: News 2016/09/30 21:54:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Lucky13 2016/09/30 22:45:22
Lucky- liked  Whitakers - miss Jim,Duke and the whole crew there.
Also really miss C&M.

Agree with Charlie-something like everything above tressel C&R for Fly guys and pinners only.
Heck even a one fish a day limit up there -if ya must keep one.

Chartist--
Most of us go to the upriver secret spot  between the lower and upper Zones on the South side- -we go at night wearing a headlamp - its a little stream leading to a big concrete place that might be a sewage treatment plant.
Many fish are even in the clean water outflow.
post edited by r3g3 - 2016/09/30 22:06:04
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: News 2016/09/30 21:58:16 (permalink)
chartist
I appreciated the recognition for our contribution to the local economy.  Now, will you locals kindly direct me to your secret fishing hole? 

If U be at de Tale water, marsa, it likely be 'bout 300 feet away from the downstream end of de building, jes up fom the grassy swale.  Dere be a concrete cap, U pull dat off, stix yer head in there, dat be your fishin' hole!  Dat's where the richest sammin's be! :!::
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: News 2016/09/30 22:25:54 (permalink)
No church hole to snag in! Hordes of White Trash elbow to elbow to wreck fancy pants out-of-stater fishing. ****, there is a very silver lining to this lack of water!  
Jump to: