They are on the way!

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
chartist
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 925
  • Reward points: 0
Re: They are on the way! 2016/09/23 17:50:25 (permalink)
hot tuna
I am far from a purist , just a fisherman that follows the regulations set forth to protect the future of our privlage .
It's people that could care less , by hook or crook , that put a strain on the fisherman and force the DEC to enact more regulation .
How do you troll ? By any means possible , like a drake ?
If the regulations say 3 rods per angler do you use 4 ?
If it says artificial only , do you use bait ?

What is the difference in what you are saying then if you reply no .
If you say yes , then your a crook

Tuna, that's a nice quote above...I too follow the regulations.  Using 1/0 hooks was within the regulations but you guys called me a snagger when all I was doing was what you yourself espouse above.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: They are on the way! 2016/09/23 17:51:09 (permalink)
If you think dragging a fish in by a fin and being proud that your doing your part by saying you only catch and release so it don't matter , your a darn fool.
Get lost and join the circus

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
chartist
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 925
Re: They are on the way! 2016/09/23 17:55:21 (permalink)
Tuna, unless you know I drag fish by the tail, dorsal, or anywhere else beside the mouth, you outta shut the Heck up...
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: They are on the way! 2016/09/23 18:00:35 (permalink)
I guess the eyeball counts ;)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: They are on the way! 2016/09/23 18:06:08 (permalink)
Only you or people around you know . If your that shallow that you can even fool yourself then yes , I will shut the heck up as its a total waste of my time to fish the same waters as those who feel good about themselves for hooking fish .

fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: They are on the way! 2016/09/24 10:58:25 (permalink)
chartist
bigbear2012
If that's your way of "fishing", you should pm our local Ohio troll, you two would have a great time

Big Bear, I don't snag...I don't keep fish either....You guys scoffed at my 1/0 circle hooks but they are less likely to snag, imo.  No matter, the biggest fly in my bag is 8.  

Circle hooks don't snag, because they are more a square with rounded corners with a leg missing after the barb, which is set at 90 degrees.  They really only work with bait, as they are designed to be taken very deeply then pressure sets them in the corner of the mouth as the fish turns and runs.  You don't use circle hooks, you use(d) a curved barb  with an upturned eye, which is virtually self hooking on anything it drags across. VERY different hook types. Smaller hooks are just stealthy, the way you employ them. If you can't comprehend geometry or hook types, you might want to consider staying at the ball park, which is as close to a handicap/special use area as it gets.
   Trolling for pike is about as exciting as, well...., snagging salmon.  To each their own.  You can brag  about all the mudsharks you snag, but on this forum absolutely no one gives a rats azz .  Been there done that, got the t-shirt decades ago. I'd rather haul pike through the ice than troll, or mo' better, with 12" flies on a 10 wt.  . Ignorance is bliss.  Oh to be a happy troll living under the bridge of Dumbazzville .
Not.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: They are on the way! 2016/09/24 19:55:43 (permalink)
Talked to the fish master himself on the phone today and hope the rod gets a good workout all week . He deserves it after missing last season . Can't wait for the real fishing reports through out the week from him , TB and Fichy . See some of you folks on the river soon :)

freytown
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 22
Re: They are on the way! 2016/09/25 10:27:31 (permalink)
 "Trolling for pike is about as exciting as, well...., snagging salmon."

How about trolling for king salmon with a charter boat.........is that boring too???

Why don't you folks realize that there many ways to skin a cat, stop the whining and just enjoy the fall salmon run while it lasts.
post edited by freytown - 2016/09/25 10:29:25
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: They are on the way! 2016/09/25 14:36:58 (permalink)
hot tuna
Talked to the fish master himself on the phone today and hope the rod gets a good workout all week . He deserves it after missing last season . Can't wait for the real fishing reports through out the week from him , TB and Fichy . See some of you folks on the river soon :)

I see  the dsr is sold out for Fri. . Seeya upriver if you didn't reserve a pass. I 'm thinking of going  with TB one day.  I'll let you know what's happening.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: They are on the way! 2016/09/25 15:34:48 (permalink)
No dsr for me .
I be fishing wherever Jack & Glen are .

twobob
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1674
Re: They are on the way! 2016/09/25 16:14:51 (permalink)
freytown
 "Trolling for pike is about as exciting as, well...., snagging salmon."

How about trolling for king salmon with a charter boat.........is that boring too???

Why don't you folks realize that there many ways to skin a cat, stop the whining and just enjoy the fall salmon run while it lasts.

YES!
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: They are on the way! 2016/09/25 17:08:59 (permalink)
I troll a lot on the Great Lake And I too say , yes it's boring as it gets as far as fishing

cpswing555
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: They are on the way! 2016/09/25 21:54:32 (permalink)
I only keep fish that I "catch" on the tooth itself. To date I have yet to catch one. I suck
bigbear2012
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 725
Re: They are on the way! 2016/09/26 09:38:15 (permalink)
Politics, religion and snagging.....three conversations to have if you want to start a fight

wishin i was fishin
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re: They are on the way! 2016/09/26 09:51:21 (permalink)
May as well face it- like it or not- snagging, in one form or another, is the predominant method  of fishing on the SR.
Many here will recall the old weighted trebble hook days where it was legal.
Seems the mindset still exists-and IMHO- is generally accepted.
bigbear2012
Expert Angler
Re: They are on the way! 2016/09/26 10:57:28 (permalink)
unfortunately r3g3

wishin i was fishin
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: They are on the way! 2016/09/26 14:03:57 (permalink)
Actually Bear, the annual fight gets old.
It is what it is like it or not.
Just walk a bit-- find my own little pocket-- and fish away.
If I get bumped by a rude idiot- walk on and find another spot.
Cant change the tides and aint worth a fight to ruin the day.
Enjoy what ya can when ya can- IMHO.
Its why I don't fish the zones much- same stuff just a bit more stealthy ( and VERY crowded).
post edited by r3g3 - 2016/09/26 14:08:02
bigbear2012
Expert Angler
Re: They are on the way! 2016/09/26 15:01:40 (permalink)
I hear you....when I want to fish and be serious I take a walk, other times I just enjoy the show.
Last year I was down by the wire hole talking with a fish warden who was pretending to fish while we watched this crew across the river having a snag fest.  I said "aren't you going to go get them"?  He said yep, about 20 minutes later they started dragging their ropes full of fish up the path...he says, nice talking to you, once they have them drug out I'll start writing the tickets, no use in me having to drag all those fish up for evidence. 

wishin i was fishin
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: They are on the way! 2016/09/27 15:42:34 (permalink)
I'm on the SR now and there are fish in the river but they are spread out.The UFZ has not seen a good push but the LFZhas plenty and the lifters are lifting.I persom\nally managed to get 4-5 on and landed one.This morning I had a big zero,they did n't hit anything I threw at themI have no WI-FI where I'm staying so I'm in a McDonalds,which is a PAIN!
twobob
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1674
Re: They are on the way! 2016/09/28 13:48:37 (permalink)
pafisher
I'm on the SR now and there are fish in the river but they are spread out.The UFZ has not seen a good push but the LFZhas plenty and the lifters are lifting.I persom\nally managed to get 4-5 on and landed one.This morning I had a big zero,they did n't hit anything I threw at themI have no WI-FI where I'm staying so I'm in a McDonalds,which is a PAIN!

I've found the Berne to be better.
I supposed if it wasn't too busy you could by a coffee or Coke or bottle of water and a snack you could sat at one of their tables and borrow some bandwidth.
I just sit in my car!

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: They are on the way! 2016/09/28 20:15:01 (permalink)
pafisher

Well it seems the site is reporting accurate and not exploited numbers hooked
Some have said I'm bad luck when they post big numbers on the networks and I show up and we struggle . I struggled with salmon for 2 years now from the lake to the tiver .
Last trib season I fouled 3 salmon and caught none . The lake was better but this lake season was dismal . I'm not a numbers guy so it really makes no difference in the catch as long as the experience is a lasting memory .
I don't like heavy pressure , who does . With the water dropping , I can see me doing lots of walking or bank time .
I have given thoughts towards my lake adventures . Now those who have been on the water and seeing fish , what are your thoughts as what is there and what's left to come ?
Seen lots of fish on lake 3 weeks ago , less 2 weeks ago and recently from some Intel I talk to , they are out searching deep for trout and 2 year old salmon before they totally pull out in about 2 weeks.
Good luck

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: They are on the way! 2016/09/29 08:51:06 (permalink)
Rich--
Does that mean the Lake guys aren't seeing fish staging anymore - to the point of calling it  ??
post edited by r3g3 - 2016/09/29 08:52:26
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re: They are on the way! 2016/09/29 10:40:10 (permalink)
Word I heard at the DEC meeting in Greece the other night is that the big blow a while back messed up the staging, and they have not been finding fish along the south shore.  The Mexico Bay area cleared as much as anywhere else, it was reported to be a 20 mile "carpet" of salmon on the bottom, but they went back deep or ran in response to the blow.  But it was also reported that they ran from deep water to the falls on the Genny on Tuesday (going down later to get a sense of the density.)  So it is hard to say how many are still out there.  Douglaston today is reporting that the three channels at the bottom end of the run were packed with fish last night, and DEC indicated Tuesday that they had made arrangements with the Canadians for eggs in case not enough hens reach the hatchery due to quantative harvest  as they run the gauntlet in the low water. 

It is already starting to get late for a lot of the lake guys, Saturday is the first  of October.

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: They are on the way! 2016/09/29 11:11:29 (permalink)
Sounds like last year- no decent upriver action till mid Oct then -over.
 Just  couple here or there most of the season.
IMHO my favored Nov. was pretty much a washout.
Makes a statement when the State is already making arrangements for eggs elsewhere.
Oh well- my 3 or 4 trip plans are down to one.
That said, its good to hear there seemed a lot in the lake- who knows what will happen.

post edited by r3g3 - 2016/09/29 11:14:16
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: They are on the way! 2016/09/29 11:49:59 (permalink)
The big "blow"happened in mid July which screwed up the thermocline and sent boats on a scramble . Some say it never re established and they ( boats ) were searching for temps . The staging occurred later then normal and when I was there , there was another " blow " that had 70 deg temps from surface to bottom in up to 80 fow ( where there were staging salmon ) . You could see lots of salmon right ON the bottom , out of petered temp. Did they run into the river ? Yes , many in that group did which is what we see now in the system .
My question is where are all the fish that are " claimed " to be out in the lake that " should be the next wave ? All I'm saying is IMO , they are not there , while the dec is saying they are our should be excuse as to why they are not

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: They are on the way! 2016/09/29 13:10:18 (permalink)
At the return rate Steve gave the other night, you would have about 15K to 20K adults total coming into the river.  Many of them don't even get through town however with the pressure from DSR up to 81.  If RJ's estimates of 300 per day for the last few weeks are accurate, it only takes 100 guys a day keeping limits to remove all the fish.  How busy have the cleaning stations been?  Today's reports indicate a strong movement into the lower river, and concentrations of fish are reported up to Trestle.  Fat Nancy and Whitaker's are both reporting what sounds to me like a pretty excellent run so far, and all reports still indicate that the estuary is also still full of fish.   

And yes the report was that prior to the later blow they were on the bottom from the OZ to SR, and they were gone when it calmed down.  The report for the Genny is that they did not come in and mill around the mouth (stage) at night as much as in past years, but things were a lot warmer this summer, so maybe they ripened up out in deeper water, and once the thermal barrier in the tribs broke (or breaks) up, they are running from deeper water right up to the barriers.  This is when we "normally" expect to see the runs kick off in the south shore tribs, and when I would expect to see the bulk of the run on the SR, Columbus Day weekend has been peak most years for as long as I remember.  So I'm not counting anything as MIA yet.  To quote Ron Berstein at Orleans Outdoors "Considering the previous hot summer I'd say we are weeks behind a "normal" year migration schedule, so things are just heating up with mostly downstream or Rivermouth action at this point."
post edited by Lucky13 - 2016/09/29 13:12:08
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: They are on the way! 2016/09/29 19:21:16 (permalink)
I diss agree .
We cited previous harsh winters the past 2seasons .
The thermocline was well established last year and the previous , it was cold water higher in the column . The excuse as to why we couldn't find them on the lake was they were dispersed due to cooler water all over the column & wandering out of where they should be . Was the trib spawning what it shoulda been ?
The excuse I'm citing now is warmer temps down through the column .
Well , the lake temps have dropped , the fish are not there . Why ?
Do folks not remember the wild abandonment of " if you stock them , they will come " ?
With an estimated stocking of 5 million , " they came " did they not ? At lest I can recall stinking , rotting and obese salmon everywhere that it became a problem .
Now we can throw in the forage theory this season , again , due to 2 past harsh winters as to the future runs / balance . The current numbers being thrown out are 50/50 stock/ wild with somewhere around 6 million estimate . REALLY ?
People are from what I'm hearing are "hooking" fish . They are picking away at the fish by methods that resemble those of the 80's . Folks are not " catching " fish by methods we should be of today .
This is a problem .
If some are saying there is enough fish to support the " system " , changes need to be made to the " system " for those who wish to " catch " salmon .
Personally , I don't feel there is enough in numbers of fish or the estimated figures being used to support every aspect currently used to remove the fish from the system.
While I can support the theory of :
1: not enough forage to support the lake
Those also entering the spawning grounds into a trib fishery also need to be addressed

Thanks L-13 for taking the time to post the links , attend the meetings and share your thoughts . These are old dogs that need to take some blinders off and look at what's happening

uglyfish
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 561
Re: They are on the way! 2016/09/29 21:27:48 (permalink)
Throw into the equation river running at 185 for a week...... not good. Things are rough I'm cancelling my next trip up next week struggled to make it through these 2 days just fishing the am and headed home warm shallow water not good for the fish either. I did see some Redding up today at least. If you have a trip planned don't set your sights to high
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: They are on the way! 2016/09/29 21:56:28 (permalink)
Crazy- now DSR reports heavy movement and one guy hooking 100 fish and catching 20.
Nothing out there- big run- state looking into eggs from afar-185
Am I the only one going NUTS ???? or is it just Columbus weekend in the the silly season ???
Gotta love it------

post edited by r3g3 - 2016/09/29 21:57:45
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: They are on the way! 2016/09/29 22:26:04 (permalink)
NYSDEC was as taken aback by the drop in discharge as anyone else, and took conservative measures to insure adequate eggs.  When half the Egg fishers on the East Coast refer to hen salmon and trout as "egg wagons", if you run the facility at the top of the river, and suddenly your source of eggs is exposed and in low flows with a crowd of yahoos descending, you find backup.  OR they could have closed the river, or parts of the river, but that didn't sit well last time either, did it.

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to: