Helpful Replyjust mussing--

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
Re: just mussing-- 2016/09/22 17:14:40 (permalink)
Sorry for mis info on turkey dates . I knew last year they cut it back citing " emergency regulation " but never really paid much attention as we are usually doing deer anyway in the fall . I hed gotten notice in the mail along with a voluntary survey .
As it stands I will be going to camp ( camping ) oct 7-10 then I head to France Oct 16-23 so I guess it makes no difference as I thought it was open until big game gun started ( as I recall it used to be ). The next opportunity to hunt will be Nov 5 & 6 when I believe crossbow opens then of course again when the Big Bang toys come out .

Once again my hunting group of 4 all have doe permits and this year we hope to fill every single one . Last season I passed on many , this year I won't be so picky as long as it has meat ( no dinks allowed ) .
Good luck to all that make it to their outdoor adventures .

Ps.
Those lifetime licenses are awesome and my grandson took advantage while he is 4 years old . The only kink is as you said Gerry , " emergency regulations " over rule .
Personally I hate the fact they did away of the " sportsmans" license and now the fishing license runs from date of purchase , that always screws me up and causes issues on the marine ( free ) permit .

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re: just mussing-- 2016/09/22 18:16:25 (permalink)
IMHO Deer liver is the best thing in the wild.
Cooked with bacon and carmalised sweet onions in some butter its GREAT.
CT has had a liver consumption warning on all adult deer liver for many years now- due to pesticides as I recall.
I generally take a yearling whenever possible for the liver and fork cutting roasts.
Generaly one a year -if possible.
Then I look for its Grandpa.
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: just mussing-- 2016/09/23 09:48:21 (permalink)
Saw 7 flatheads and missed a Turkey this AM.
Had the birds in to about 8 yards and my arrow came off the rest and clattered all over the bow-aruggggh- birds went off 40 yards.
Still not interested in a Deer but that's about to change.
GREAT am hunt.
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: just mussing-- 2016/09/26 10:33:34 (permalink)
Came close to being there right now for a few days.
Hit this week with a good friend for many years-sometimes good, something skunked.
We ended up going a week or so later to be sure fish were around.
Not much seems to be happening upriver as yet- will wait a couple of weeks.
One trip this year - gotta make the best of it.
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: just mussing-- 2016/09/27 15:44:58 (permalink)
r3g3
Came close to being there right now for a few days.
Hit this week with a good friend for many years-sometimes good, something skunked.
We ended up going a week or so later to be sure fish were around.
Not much seems to be happening upriver as yet- will wait a couple of weeks.
One trip this year - gotta make the best of it.

Wait...I have been up river and they are not there in any numbers,but the hatchery raceway is loaded?
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: just mussing-- 2016/09/27 17:24:07 (permalink)
I'm jumping in my car now to eat at McDonald's and fish the loaded hatchery :)
Musta be those fish I couldn't catch on the lake 3 weeks ago , maybe now , lol
Maybe the catch rate will improve when I bring a big net :)
Good luck guys , tell me the secret fly so I can blow the dust off the old ones and ties some new :( Save me a spot on the river

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: just mussing-- 2016/09/28 09:15:42 (permalink)
Just read where the water levels will be reduced to 185 in the SR due to low Reservoir levels.
THAT will likely be the end of many fish already in the system.
Snagfest.
post edited by r3g3 - 2016/09/28 09:17:15
bigbear2012
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 725
Re: just mussing-- 2016/09/28 09:30:30 (permalink)
Break out the yeller ropes kids, the water level is droppin!!

wishin i was fishin
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: just mussing-- 2016/09/30 13:18:03 (permalink)
Got a call today that the 'old place' is taken full time by the new owners relative -they offered me a room but it just didn't feel right- lol.
Real good Pulaski folks to make that offer- will certainly stop and visit when up there.
Called around for rooms in bout 2 1/2 weeks and was surprised that most places had mid week openings.
Think the past couple of years are having an affect- used to have to reserve wayyyy early.
Went for a cheap price and a bit out of town- but a very few short miles was well worth the difference.
Be up mid week of the 17th- would not go up sooner because of the Holiday circus.
In addition to heavier gear may also bring the light noodle or 5 wt for Steel.
Only issue with long range reservations is ya gotta take whatever weather happens.
post edited by r3g3 - 2016/09/30 13:21:56
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re: just mussing-- 2016/09/30 22:07:37 (permalink)
True Dat!
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: just mussing-- 2016/10/04 11:57:43 (permalink)
Unfortunately, it may be the near future in SR country will include  fewer fishing related business.
Frankly, have felt there are already less than back -in the day.
When the C&M couldn't find a buyer it kinda said fishermen numbers may be falling IMHO.
Remember those old time cleaning stations where folks were lined up all day.
A local mentioned, last year, that some shops catering  to Lake fishers in Summer as well as River folks were having problems keeping afloat.
This- the third year of 'issues' -wont help those who make a living at it.
Ma nature dished out a real changer with those 2 hard winters.
Can understand- a bit-how this affects the decisions on river fishing.
Lots of local families depend on its business.
That said keeping the upper C&R closed and the lower snagfest seems silly and shortsighted.
Just shows  gross catch in SR isn't a relative  issue for them compared to the lake conditions.
Hmmmm- a way to cut back on the natural repro ??
Oh well - it will all be back in a few seasons- hope I'm here to see it.
post edited by r3g3 - 2016/10/04 12:00:02
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: just mussing-- 2016/10/04 12:31:02 (permalink)
My so shortsighted opinion is that this is a fishery that dates over 50 years and all the talk surrounds 2 years of weather . That is what I find disturbing .
Folks, I find it hard to believe , the lake got clearer , the nutrients diminished and the forage depleted in just 2 years .
A lot of what I read is , they way they are tracking the balance has changed in just recent development

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: just mussing-- 2016/10/04 19:41:22 (permalink)
I will try to keep my rantly musings here instead of clog reports , lake Information and general questions .
Talked with a lot of people yesterday and today who went and joined the circus . In my JOB , I meet lots of folks.
From the dozen or so , they were epic adventures of fish hooked and roped . Some were pizzed they left before the water dropped on Thursday and found it difficult / lack of limit stringers from their 5 man crew in the higher water an few fish ( down low )
These guys fish with things like ear plugs cut in sections , sponge , yarn or anything that makes them legal by definition of the regs and had a blast .
All the people know snagging is illegal , all were intent in hooking fish by any means possible following the tackle regulations but pushing the intent regulation to the max .
They fished amounts hoards of fishers and fish in a barrel but felt if they were following the tackle regs and if they hooked 1 out of 10 in the head/ mouth area , releasing the obvious and filling their ropes , it was a great/ is a great fishery and successful once a year trip . Heck they may , will go back for more salmon then fish these trouts that come in later.
The ones who fished the River sat- Monday , praise the powers for lowering the water flows .

Folks , something is wrong here . As I said , the yellow rope trib fishers will ALWAYS get theirs , even if there is only 1 lone salmon left swimming in the river .
If this is truly to be made a fishery for fisherman as a whole , Ray Charles needs to take the glasses off .

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: just mussing-- 2016/10/04 20:14:47 (permalink)
Just to add insult to injury . They spend their $$$ on entertainment goodies prior to leaving their yard including river ready upon arrival.
Aside from the obvious cheap as possible lodging/ camping , each tries to keep their economic expense to the local economy under $100.

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: just mussing-- 2016/10/05 11:23:53 (permalink)
Some of us have spent a lot of money over time in SR country.
We wanted it that way and enjoyed doing it.
However, how much one spends IMHO has little to do with the gross of take by folks up there as  well as by the State.
All together it is millions of dollars pumped into the North country- and that's a good thing.
Gotta remember its not just the Sr benefitting from this fishery but the whole area of the State along the Lake and tribs.
(Canada too)
Expenditures on Guides, boating supplies, gas, food, lodging, tackle, permits, etc etc turns over many times and helps lots of folks.
While we enjoy our sport its a -win win.
post edited by r3g3 - 2016/10/05 11:27:05
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: just mussing-- 2016/10/05 11:39:46 (permalink)
r3g3
Some of us have spent a lot of money over time in SR country.
We wanted it that way and enjoyed doing it.
However, how much one spends IMHO has little to do with the gross of take by folks up there as  well as by the State.
All together it is millions of dollars pumped into the North country- and that's a good thing.
Gotta remember its not just the Sr benefitting from this fishery but the whole area of the State along the Lake and tribs.
(Canada too)
Expenditures on Guides, boating supplies, gas, food, lodging, tackle, permits, etc etc turns over many times and helps lots of folks.
While we enjoy our sport its a -win win.

Well they managed to chase me home early with my unspent money this year with their closure of the LFZ.
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: just mussing-- 2016/10/05 12:43:02 (permalink)
Kind of surprised- just read on another forum where a regular guy says it looks like more fishermen than ever on the river.
A  big pool fisherman saying that the hook ups- in the pools are happening.
Also reports that upriver is slowwww.

Low waters will certainly keep whatever fish there are in those pools where they are easy prey to that kinda fishing.

Site issues today ??
post edited by r3g3 - 2016/10/06 19:37:00
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: just mussing-- 2016/10/07 20:15:48 (permalink)
Unless a few wild hairs raise . My soft water fishing has come to a close .
Never say never though . Last Christmas Eve I was rowing a boat , catching perch in 60 deg temps . For all practical purpose however , my season has changed towards woods and hardwater . .
For those that hunker down , stay warm & safe . If welcomed , Any thing I will have to share from the great outdoors won't be SR related other then useless information

Good luck to the locals , Trev , Clint & Andy

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: just mussing-- 2016/10/10 11:33:21 (permalink)
Welll-
Guess the decision to wait till next week for upper fun may have been correct.
On the flip side just checked the weather up there for my pre-reserved 3 days----RAIN.
This is what happens when ya sell a place in Gods country and have to go back to being a full time POS outa stater.
70 plus days a year up there down to 3- ARUGGGGH.
post edited by r3g3 - 2016/10/10 12:18:53
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to: