Lake Trout and Steelhead Rod and Reel

Author
Divemaster
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 744
  • Reward points: 0
2016/08/31 09:05:12 (permalink)

Lake Trout and Steelhead Rod and Reel

Looking for suggestions for a new rod and reel for lure fishing for Lakers and Steelies. Most likely a spinning rod, something in the 7'6" to 9'0" area. Spinning reel should have capacity for 200+ yards of 30# braid. I'll be using it from boat, from shore, and in moving water (creeks and rivers).

Lake Trout uses- Vertical Jigging (tubes, bladebaits, spoons) and Casting (spoons, plugs, jerkbaits). Jigs in the 1-3 ounce range, casting lures from 1/3-1 ounce. Fishing in 5-120 FOW.

Steelhead (and Brown) uses- Casting (spoons, plugs, jerkbaits) and possibly drifting eggs/skein, but mainly casting lures. Everything in the 1/3-1 ounce range for Steelhead. Fishing in 1-40 FOW.

Looking to spend $200-350 total for some quality gear. Any suggestions?

8 Replies Related Threads

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9657
    Re: Lake Trout and Steelhead Rod and Reel 2016/08/31 11:09:43 (permalink)
    I would imagine that vertical jigging, with a steel head rod, might not give you the results that you want?  Most jigging rods that I have seen have a faster action tip and not as long as your typical steel head rod.  That long slow action rod, probably won't give you the control you want, or the backbone to get the fish up, without the tip of your rod being underwater on a boat.  $350 should be enough to get you two quality rods and a reel that you can swap per use?  I'd think that you could get away with 15# braid too, unless you just happen to have 30# laying around.  $350 would buy you 2 (possibly 3 if you find a good deal) rod and reel combos that I fish with...

Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Lake Trout and Steelhead Rod and Reel 2016/08/31 11:47:32 (permalink)
    Porktown
    I would imagine that vertical jigging, with a steel head rod, might not give you the results that you want?  Most jigging rods that I have seen have a faster action tip and not as long as your typical steel head rod.  That long slow action rod, probably won't give you the control you want, or the backbone to get the fish up, without the tip of your rod being underwater on a boat.  $350 should be enough to get you two quality rods and a reel that you can swap per use?  I'd think that you could get away with 15# braid too, unless you just happen to have 30# laying around.  $350 would buy you 2 (possibly 3 if you find a good deal) rod and reel combos that I fish with...  

I'm probably trying to be too versatile haha. Well, forget about the steelhead drift fishing part, and I have a 6'8" Loomis that would most likely work well enough for smaller casting spoons.

So, instead, I'd like to get a rod in the original length 7'6"-9'6" for vertical jigging for Lakers and for casting larger spoons and plugs like Cleos and flatfish. Something that can handle 1/2-2 or 3 ounce lures. The trouble here is still trying to find a rod sensitive enough for deep water jigging with enough backbone for pulling big plugs like M-2 and M-4 Flatfish.
    joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 805
    Re: Lake Trout and Steelhead Rod and Reel 2016/08/31 12:52:58 (permalink)
    On Niagara I 3 way rig and jig for lakers browns and steelhead with a few 8'6 spinning rods. Okuma TX-40 isnt made anymore but some great deals are on Amazon. 8'8 Med light 6-12. Was $150 I paid $95. I also have enjoyed the Ugly Stik Elite 8'6 Medium and the 9'0 version. They can handle an ounce of lead on a 3 way with a flatfish and are suitable for jigging tubes, sonars, and heavier hair jigs on the bar.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9657
    Re: Lake Trout and Steelhead Rod and Reel 2016/08/31 15:06:20 (permalink)
    I have an 8'6" Okuma Celilo (cheaper than you are looking).  I use it for salt water fishing, and only use maybe 10 days per year.  I have casted 2 oz. of lead with a fly, as hard as I could with that thing, and does just fine.  It is rated as a Heavy action, but far from it.  It seems more like a medium action, and has a relatively slow tip.  Rated up to 4 oz. casting, which I have done 2-3 oz of sinker and well over an oz of weight, but didn't cast like a maniac with that.  

Okuma has a great site to review specs of what you want.  I use mine mostly for casting lures into the surf, inlet and sound, until I got a 10' to replace it in the surf.  The shorter length of it, is better in the sound, inlet and even decent size for the pier.  I was thinking about this rod when you mentioned, but this is only a $50 rod.  Great for limited use, but if using all of the time, then something like Joe mentioned is better.  Not a bad back up rod if you like the specs.  

I prefer a shorter butt rod for steel head fishing (which I don't do much of any more).  But when I did, I liked to balance my rod on my hand to detect smaller taps, the butt section of this one is too long for that and drives into my side.  I have also used this on my boat, jigging and casting lures.  I would much rather use something in the 6'6"-7' range for jigging.  Then again, you might be looking for something with a longer butt for jigging heavy items.  I usually only jig under 1 oz.
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Lake Trout and Steelhead Rod and Reel 2016/08/31 19:55:26 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info, guys! I'll have to look in to some of the Okuma rods, but it definitely needs to be durable because it will be getting used a LOT. I'd prefer graphite, but could make due with a lighter glass rod.

Has anyone here ever fished with any of the G.Loomis E6X Steelhead/Salmon rods? They look pretty nice and I love my E6X Jig/Worm rod that I'll use for every type of lure for many species.

Thinking I'm going to forget about trying to find a rod that's equally good at covering all of these different fishing styles. So, let's just say I want something in the 8'0"-9'6" range for casting spoons and plugs in the 1/4-1 ounce range for Lake Trout and Steelhead. If the rod happens to work well for jigging and or bait drifting too, then great, otherwise I'll buy another setup or two later on for those purposes.
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Lake Trout and Steelhead Rod and Reel 2016/09/01 10:41:33 (permalink)
    Did some research last night and I think I've narrowed it down to the G. Loomis E6X Steelhead drift rod or the St. Croix Wild River rod. They do come in many different powers, actions, and lengths, but the ones below looked the best to me for casting spoons and plugs in the 1/4-1 ounce range. My one concern is, do you guys think that as drift rods, they'd be too flexible for heavy spoons and cranking big plugs (as in not enough backbone), or should they work pretty well? I'll be using 20 or 30 pound braid with a 2-3' 12-15# fluoro leader on whatever reel I pair with the rod. Which of the ones below would you all go with?

Rod Length Power Action Lures Line

E6X 1024-2S 8'6" Med Fast 3/8-3/4 8-12
    E6X 1084-2S 9'0" Med Fast 3/8-3/4 8-12
    E6X 1025-2S 8'6" Med-Hev Fast 3/8-1 8-17
    E6X 1145-2S 9'6" Med-Hev Fast 3/8-1 8-17

Wild River 86MF2 8'6" Med Fast 1/4-3/4 8-12
    Wild River 86MHF2 8'6" Med-Hev Fast 3/8-1 10-17
    Wild River 90MF2 9'0" Med Fast 1/4-3/4 8-12
    Wild River 90MHF2 9'0" Med-Hev Fast 3/8-1 10-17
    Wild River 96MF2 9'6" Med Fast 1/4-3/4 8-12
    post edited by Divemaster - 2016/09/01 10:43:04
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Lake Trout and Steelhead Rod and Reel 2016/09/02 10:01:17 (permalink)
    Decided on the E6X1084 9'0" medium power, fast action, 3/8-3/4 lures. Should work pretty well both casting spoons and plugs as well as drifting bait in the creeks if flies won't produce for me.

Do you guys think that 20# braid with a fluoro leader would work okay for drifting eggs, worms, etc in the Tribs, or will the high visibility of braid scare the fish even with a leader, or just plain not work well?

Now as far as reels go, ideally something that can take 200 yards plus of 20# braid diameter for fiesty fish out in the lake with no boundaries. I was looking at the various shimano reels and some of them are very nice, but also very expensive! I have a Sedona 2500 now on my all-species rod and it works great other than locking up every once in a while (apparently that's a common problem with mid-priced shimano spinning reels). Any suggestions for a good shimano reel? I had also considered a nice Penn, as pretty much every reel they make is amazing quality. If I did go with a Penn, I'd probably do a Battle II or Spinfisher V, in the 3000 or 4000 size. My only concern with them is that Penn reels tend to be heavy since they're SW reels and I don't want to throw off the balance of a light weight graphite rod with a tank of a full-metal reel. Anyone here fish with Penn spinning reels?
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    Re: Lake Trout and Steelhead Rod and Reel 2016/09/02 11:11:33 (permalink)
    20# is way excessive for the Erie tribs imo. When I fish braid in the tribs I use 8 or 10lb main line with a flouro leader 3-6' of 4-8lb. Braid also freezes like crazy in the winter. Don't use it if it's below freezing. I suggest getting a reel with 2 spools, whatever you get. I'd go with like 12 or 14lb braid for spoons in the lake and 6lb(Seguar invisx) flouro for the tribs. I also agree with what was posted earlier, that deep water jigging should be done with a shorter, heavier, faster rod.
    Jump to: