Author
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
  • Reward points: 0
2016/08/03 09:01:53 (permalink)

memories

Its slow. so how about a few special River memories-
comedy- alarm-great things-or just stuff forever imbedded in our past thoughts--

Was  fishing Steel in mid May a few seasons back in one of those 'special places' that holds late upriver Steel.
Wearing full camo- hip boots and a head net for those pesky gnats and leaning against a favored tree high sticking to some fish  on a wide long side channel pool  with a brush pile at the downside.
One took my offering and immediately went air born and then ran directly down to the brush and jumped again-
Jumped right out and up onto the pile- landed on some leaves and sticks mid stream and just lay there acting dead.
Welll- haven't kept a fish in some years and this seemed to be the one- if it didn't look sick - this was unusual at best.
Had to walk in over the boots to get to the fish, then removed the bug with my pliers.
He lay there acting dead the whole time.
A moment after the hook removal an inspection was made and the fish looked clean and healthy- but dead.
About the time he was going to go out with me he suddenly came back to life took a big flip - away he went heading to the lake - or someplace down river --fast.
Loved it.
Think he had knocked himself out.

post edited by r3g3 - 2016/08/03 09:05:41

14 Replies Related Threads

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: memories 2016/08/03 20:15:54 (permalink)
    Great things = no particular order
    1.brown town 09. Think I shared some video/pics of an incredible weekend of giant Brown trout .
    2. Two weeks after the Browns were gone and the chrome were home .
    Now all this was spent without another angler except friends .
    3. Meeting the man , myth and legend pafisher . I have learned many things and shared great times together . They also included others on this forum .
    4. The increadible coho run with Fichy in the dsr . I have hit some major runs down there but being able to share that together with a friend made it special .
    5. All the years of smiles from others faces in my time on the river . I have only my father to thank for them . It was him that brought me into the world of fishing .

Bad times ?
    Ah , I can complain but it's really the good times I remember and still bring me back .

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: memories 2016/08/03 20:52:06 (permalink)
    DSR with Rich, Jack's secret spot the day we we had nearly a 1/2 mile of river to ourselves and we had king doubles on a regular basis, Twice , Rich  has had the hot seam for steel and handed it off to me.  Class and decency.  One of the biggest chromers I've landed , with the river over 2,000 and Nancy netting it way up in the bushes after a fight in really heavy water.  Some great days with Clint.  Hanging out with Andy. Trips out with my regular trout and bass  partner, Uglyfish.  One weird day when we left the upper  , did well in  the barrel and got a phone call that Nancy's sister was dying. We made it to her bedside before she passed and helped the rest of the family grieve. Plan was to stay in the upper all day with no cell service.  River gods were watching out.  Thanks for dispelling and counteracting the bad, guys.
    bigbear2012
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 725
    Re: memories 2016/08/04 08:48:17 (permalink)
    The day I met happy salmon and stimpy on the river.  Great guys, loads of fun since .
    All the crazy stuff I get to see and hear on the river....nothing like the trussle hole on Columbus day week end.
    Most recent, we were just hanging out playing in the south sandy creek, looking for walking sticks to carve.  We decided to swim in a small pool.  I was looking at the bottom and saw a glint.  It turned out to be a class ring from 1952.  Very cool.

wishin i was fishin
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: memories 2016/08/04 11:16:56 (permalink)
    My best memory is meeting and fishing with some of the guys who post regularly on this forum.  While I haven't met all the ones I have are class acts.  I'm looking forward to sharing water with you all for many years to come.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: memories 2016/08/04 14:35:53 (permalink)
    troutbum21
    My best memory is meeting and fishing with some of the guys who post regularly on this forum.  While I haven't met all the ones I have are class acts.  I'm looking forward to sharing water with you all for many years to come.

I'll second that!!!!
    A funny one from years ago.Was on the DSR fishing when the water was elevated.and heard someone yell "fish on" upstream,I looked up and here comes a guy bouncing down the current on his rear end with his feet out of the water and his rod bent with a big fish,he went bouncing on by me downriver fighting that fish,I wonder which one won that battle.Then there was the time at the Joss hole when a father and young daughter was fishing just below me,all of a sudden I hear a big splash that sounded like a big rock hitting the water,when I looked down there was the daughter standing chest high in the river with a fish on her line,after a great battle the father finally got a net under the KIng,I walked down to talk to them and dad told me she was standing on a streamside boulder and when she hooked the fish it took off and pulled her in the water,that's a memory they will always share!
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: memories 2016/08/09 20:53:57 (permalink)
    Here is an oldie but everlasting memory.
    37 years ago this March, I was first introduced to Oswego county.. It was a planed trip with my dad while ice fishing in January locally.. He new this guy from work ( I still see him daily) who had a camp in Sodus and a driftboat on the SR..  The talk on the ice that day was "we gotta try this giant rainbow trout called STEELHEAD  fishing ".
    And we did , schoolhouse pool in march .. Packed with people playing ballgames on the radio, fires on the bank, huge snow banks.. Thing was , folks were catching big rainbow trout called steelhead.. With ranger insulated rubber waders, a snowmobile suit underneath and a fly rod with a spinning rod I caught my first steelhead using a slinky and black matuka fly.. I was clue less and never had another bite, nor dad all weekend but I was hooked..
    We went weekly without any luck since that first time but we watched and learned.. These things called Lacrosse Neoprene waders , wool gloves, noodle rods,,, all came into play the following spring.. We also figured it would be less busy like in February..  It was but it was also more brutal conditions so again we started learning,, back then water was up, water was down, holes were frozen with skim ice and unfishable until afternoon , small free flowing remained open..  Finally we got some guidance from the fellow co worker in drifting us , introducing us to the local and those "other flows".. By the end of year 2 in may we felt confident .. I'm sure I showed some pic's of dad before..

Now season 3 : Steelhead..
    Dad brought our lifelong hunting partner and my great uncle from PA to see this spring thing called SR steelhead..
    Even under adverse conditions , flooding, snow, ice and rain, Uncle Kurt was hooked in his first trip, So much so he bought stake into the fishery.. Got a summer residence and a 1968, 19' Larson with a Volvo outboard..  I spent all summer on the shores of lake Ontario. It was the landscape, people and opportunity at a NY trophy silver fish that hooked me and my family , past and present to Oswego county..
    Now long story to and ending.
    Uncle Kurt , retired from PA, spent his last day in Oswego county doing what he loved best.. He stayed the entire spring and summer on the shores with his wife and my aunt Lill, (still alive at 101 years young), but always hunted the woods with dad and I ..
    Well weekend before opening southern zone, he decided to take a trip to Oswego county without my Aunt and go deer hunting up there.. Dad got a call from our Aunt that he had a heart attack in the woods.. We made the trip up that night to be the last relatives to speak to him.. He passed in the AM..  From what I remember, he loved that place and the times spent there.. As do myself and my family..  The fishing is just that, fishing.. Much better things to worry about then how many salmon I may catch.. How many smiles I will see is what counts most..

Peace & Tuna

post edited by hot tuna - 2016/08/09 21:02:24

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: memories 2016/08/27 11:38:41 (permalink)
    DARN- chomping at the bit to get up to SR fishing.
    For years would have 2 or 3 King trips already- catching is another story lol.
    Word of scouts coming in is making me crazier than normal.
    Hope for a push or two in the next couple of weeks and--game on.
    Looking at several 3 or 4  day trips this season.
    A portion of past years butttt- better than nothing.
    Betcha those scouts brought up quite a few fisher folks----
    Game ON--

post edited by r3g3 - 2016/08/27 11:40:44
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: memories 2016/08/27 13:13:09 (permalink)
    And no mowing to do, just get out and fish, eat sleep, repeat!
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: memories 2016/08/27 13:40:30 (permalink)
    Wife has been doing the mowing for me .
    It was a ZOO with boats out here at daybreak . We took lunch break at 11 and now it's pretty peaceful . Seen nice marks and nice boxes , we are just out here for the ride and memories .
    Hotter then heck , don't think I'd wet a line in da river

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: memories 2016/08/27 14:04:20 (permalink)
    hot tuna
    Wife has been doing the mowing for me .
    It was a ZOO with boats out here at daybreak . We took lunch break at 11 and now it's pretty peaceful . Seen nice marks and nice boxes , we are just out here for the ride and memories .
    Hotter then heck , don't think I'd wet a line in da river

Have you caught any Rich? Is anyone catching any?We need some encouragement Rich....give us some!
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: memories 2016/08/27 14:44:05 (permalink)
    Seen some nice boxes of fish . Seeing tons hugging bottom stacked up in 100 fow . We are just enjoying the ride and haven't moved a rod
    Just a note :
    We are in 100 fow off the mouth . My gps says 4 miles to lighthouse
    post edited by hot tuna - 2016/08/27 14:47:58

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: memories 2016/08/27 14:54:56 (permalink)
    We had enough of in active fish , pulling rods and going deep

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: memories 2016/08/27 15:47:08 (permalink)
    Go get 'em Rich,post a picture of a hog!
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: memories 2016/08/28 08:29:01 (permalink)
    As if mowing wasn't bad enough Lucky- Every Fall hadda do leaves at least twice-
    During the run would  take two full days ( at least) to clean up the yard- then mow-----
    Must say I really liked the place though- was worth it--
    Tip to folks wanting a 'place' for vacation --do it in the woods-----no yard
    post edited by r3g3 - 2016/08/28 08:30:03
    Jump to: